Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Alchenar posted:

Oh Medvedev absolutely wasn't a Western-style reformer, but he clearly wanted a stable and peaceful relationship with the West and seemed to be willing to liberalise Russia (at least as far as could be done without threatening everyone's money funnels). Something like Medvedev's Presidency is probably the best possible low-probability outcome we could hope from a Putin successor.

I liken him to being the Russian Hu Jintao since my crowd is more China-savvy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Lum_ posted:

Yeah, I wasn't nominating him for Last Best Hope For Peace or anything. He's definitely a Russian nationalist although his views have moderated some -- in Russia and specifically Navalny's case it literally means moderating from "outright racist" to "well-spoken nationalist".

He's long aspired to high office which is impossible in Russia unless you're part of the ruling mafia, so his approach was to try to go over the mafia's head to the people, Russia at the time still being technically a democracy. His Youtube videos have, for Russia, spectacular production values and communicate his core message "everyone in power is corrupt as hell" very well, which is why he's currently in a gulag.

On a more amusing note, literally no one left in Russian state TV has ever seen "The Producers", because their New Year's Bash did a pretty good job of re-enacting Springtime for Hitler.

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1609719192596381696

Is it just me or the poor video quality, but it almost looks like the audience was digitally inserted. Or the whole thing was put through a Zoom filter or something.

Side note, I've noticed this more and more lately. So I assume it has something to do with the resolution tricking my eyes, yet I keep seeing it places. For me, it is firmly in the uncanny valley... I see something that flags it as wrong.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

ASAPI posted:

Is it just me or the poor video quality, but it almost looks like the audience was digitally inserted. Or the whole thing was put through a Zoom filter or something.

Side note, I've noticed this more and more lately. So I assume it has something to do with the resolution tricking my eyes, yet I keep seeing it places. For me, it is firmly in the uncanny valley... I see something that flags it as wrong.

It's mainly the compression artifacting on the video. The studio lighting is pretty weird too, very bright and flat across the whole studio and very flat lighting on the old dude in the red suit making him look like a 2d projection superimposed on the video.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

kemikalkadet posted:

It's mainly the compression artifacting on the video. The studio lighting is pretty weird too, very bright and flat across the whole studio and very flat lighting on the old dude in the red suit making him look like a 2d projection superimposed on the video.

That makes more sense. I've been noticing it more and more, but couldn't put my finger on what exactly I was noticing.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Russian TV networks are having a difficult time with holding on to qualified technicians for some strange reason.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
All Russian TV just happens to look like haunted Willy Wonka. It's a phenomena going back to Soviet times.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1610296498155028480?t=8EyS0WXZHL7d01oV7Ol7Kg&s=19

This reminds me of the Navy individual augmentees program writ large during the surge years

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1610296498155028480?t=8EyS0WXZHL7d01oV7Ol7Kg&s=19

This reminds me of the Navy individual augmentees program writ large during the surge years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9db8CDV3n70

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Two things from yesterday:

-Ukrainian missile strike took out a large Russian barracks.

-learned that India is buying all the oil they can from Russia and helping keep their economy viable.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Alchenar posted:

Now Putin is obviously not Gorbachev

Not even Gorbachev was initially Gorbachev though.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1566082893973274629

The tl,dr of the long and meandering Galeev tweetfest is that Gorba was originally a hardline statist in the vein of his mentor Andropov, but had to change course because oil prices fell so much that the Soviet Union didn't have enough foreign currency to modernize its industries.

KGB economy-knowers probably sold him on some Deng Xiaoping-style reforms, but they quickly spiraled out of control.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1566107212182953985

In this regard the price cap on oil is probably the best tool to declaw the bear.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Nick Soapdish posted:

Russian forced reclass happen much more efficiently than decadent western military.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

not caring here posted:

Russian forced reclass happen much more efficiently than decadent western military.

In Battlefield 3 and 4 you just switch to the winning team

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

What, you're saying that there was a problem with sending, say, highly trained naval aviators to work as truck convoy commanders in the desert?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Two things from yesterday:

-Ukrainian missile strike took out a large Russian barracks.

-learned that India is buying all the oil they can from Russia and helping keep their economy viable.

India is looking out for itself and probably getting a great discount while doing so, russia isn't getting as much for the oil as they would like from any buyer.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Is Russian society actually particularly hosed up or should I as an American ask myself some questions about my own society based on how insane and bloodthirsty Russia is looking right now?

Edit: probably both

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

What, you're saying that there was a problem with sending, say, highly trained naval aviators to work as truck convoy commanders in the desert?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you're exaggerating.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

slurm posted:

Is Russian society actually particularly hosed up or should I as an American ask myself some questions about my own society based on how insane and bloodthirsty Russia is looking right now?

Edit: probably both

I remember reading/hearing somewhere that the really insane Russian TV talk shows sort of exist to make the Kremlin look somewhat moderate and rational, though I have no idea how true that really is. It does explain some of the lunacy we see on those shows though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm sure they're not truly representative of Russian society, but a decade and a half of Russian dashcam footage certainly paints an, shall I say, interesting picture of how things work there.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

if only they had daschams in government

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

if only they had daschams in government

Or hotel windows.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The tl,dr of the long and meandering Galeev tweetfest is that Gorba was originally a hardline statist in the vein of his mentor Andropov, but had to change course because oil prices fell so much that the Soviet Union didn't have enough foreign currency to modernize its industries.

Galeev isn't a good source on Russian history at all. Gorbachev had MANY faults but describing him as an Andropov-style hardliner is nuts.

Gorbachev was a Leninist true believer in the Bukharin vein - state command of the economy with enough private enterprise to keep people productive, more democracy within a one-party Communist-led state, and full autonomy for non-Russian nationalities. (It didn't work for Lenin either and Lenin's legacy would have been much less successful had he lived much past 1924.)

None of Gorbachev's ideas really worked out very well - freeing the economy merely turned it over to speculators and mobsters, introducing democracy into the government created a strong opposition that was far more radical than Gorbechev ever was, and the non-Russians mostly wanted nothing less than full independence.

However he was, by all evidence, a genuinely decent person (which meant he didn't have the willingness to suppress opposition violently which the Stalinists in his government demanded) who ended the Cold War rationally when it could have easily gone MUCH worse.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You should say that on twitter so people can take you seriously

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I restrict my twitter to shitposts, memes, and the occasional laughing at Russian talk shows.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Anyway for more on Gorbachev this is definitely the recommended work

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HKL3NC3

quote:

Collapse: The Fall of the Soviet Union
by Vladislav M. Zubok

Thirty years on, Vladislav Zubok offers a major reinterpretation of the final years of the USSR, refuting the notion that the breakup of the Soviet order was inevitable. Instead, Zubok reveals how Gorbachev’s misguided reforms, intended to modernize and democratize the Soviet Union, deprived the government of resources and empowered separatism. Collapse sheds new light on Russian democratic populism, the Baltic struggle for independence, the crisis of Soviet finances—and the fragility of authoritarian state power.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Lum_ posted:

Galeev isn't a good source on Russian history at all. Gorbachev had MANY faults but describing him as an Andropov-style hardliner is nuts.

Gorbachev was a Leninist true believer in the Bukharin vein - state command of the economy with enough private enterprise to keep people productive, more democracy within a one-party Communist-led state, and full autonomy for non-Russian nationalities. (It didn't work for Lenin either and Lenin's legacy would have been much less successful had he lived much past 1924.)

None of Gorbachev's ideas really worked out very well - freeing the economy merely turned it over to speculators and mobsters, introducing democracy into the government created a strong opposition that was far more radical than Gorbechev ever was, and the non-Russians mostly wanted nothing less than full independence.

However he was, by all evidence, a genuinely decent person (which meant he didn't have the willingness to suppress opposition violently which the Stalinists in his government demanded) who ended the Cold War rationally when it could have easily gone MUCH worse.

yah galeev is kind of, idk, eurasia history fishmech on twitter. wikipedia articles distilled into twitter threads. kind of a running joke among all the actual academia accounts. go read a zubok collapse if you want a better sum of gorbyfollies (or at least the podcast version if you dont wanna read the whole book, https://www.mixcloud.com/seansrussiablog/the-collapse-of-the-soviet-union/ or https://newbooksnetwork.com/vladislav-m-zubok-collapse-the-fall-of-the-soviet-union-yale-up-2021)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Lum_ posted:

galeev takes a conclusion and then works the story back from whatever point he is trying to make. it would be really bizarre if it wasn't so transparently pushing a specific point

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Lum_ posted:

Galeev isn't a good source on Russian history at all.

FTFY

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Lum_ posted:

Duly noted.

Still, the point stands that what happens in Russia from here might have less to do with what kind of program Russian leaders want to push and more with what the Kremlin has the ability to push. Reducing European energy dependency on Russia works to that end, regardless of who is in power.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Lum_ posted:

Galeev isn't a good source

This guy has a stable of half-trained interns who compile his posts, and on his main account, all actual subject matter experts are preemptively blocked, so they can't debunk his BS.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

psydude posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you're exaggerating.
Not navy, but I know a guy who was his unit chief of tactics and chief pilot and was “offered an opportunity” to command a convoy. He told them to get hosed and retired shortly afterward. It’s not that much of an exaggeration.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Stultus Maximus posted:

Has Russia begun sending navy crews as infantry into Ukraine? Guessing that would be a way to get a few thousand guys, and if they were sending missile technicians wouldn’t be out of character.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Has Russia begun sending navy crews as infantry into Ukraine? Guessing that would be a way to get a few thousand guys, and if they were sending missile technicians wouldn’t be out of character.

Russia has forces designated as Naval Infantry, they're something like the US Marines, but also not. They're theoretically trained in conventional warfare, and have a long history of being used as such. Using those guys in Ukraine wouldn't be much of a stretch. Using engine techs off the Kunetsov is a different story, of course.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

They have reclassed some Navy as Infantry, I know during the Melitopol days they found Weatherman forced into tank commander roles

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Russia has forces designated as Naval Infantry, they're something like the US Marines, but also not. They're theoretically trained in conventional warfare, and have a long history of being used as such. Using those guys in Ukraine wouldn't be much of a stretch. Using engine techs off the Kunetsov is a different story, of course.

I’m sure I’ve seen reports of their naval infantry in Ukraine pretty much the whole time?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

A.o.D. posted:

I wouldn't be too surprised to find they'd pulled all the Kuznetsov's firefighters and DC people. It might explain a few things.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

As much as I would like to clown on Russia for shoving sailors and airmen to the front lines in Ukraine, well, we kinda did the same thing. lt's how I ended up touring the hindu kush. But at least I wasn't doing a straight up infantry job.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Jimmy Smuts posted:

As much as I would like to clown on Russia for shoving sailors and airmen to the front lines in Ukraine, well, we kinda did the same thing. lt's how I ended up touring the hindu kush. But at least I wasn't doing a straight up infantry job.

Around the time of Abu Ghraib [edit: I was off by a few years; it was like 2009 or something when echelon above corps air defense units were being used to run detention camps] a US strategic SAM unit was tasked to deploy without their equipment to go run detention centers in Iraq. Not like interrogations, but run and operate a lot of day to day camp operations.

And last year, the guys operating the counter-UAS systems in a combat zone were national guard mortarmen and chemical corps. This isn't a dig, they were pretty good, just an example of deciding humans are humans and they'll do what you need them to.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 4, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The problem being the difference between most Russia units and American ones is significantly more training.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Chemical corps is forever doomed to do literally anything but their primary purpose, and the world is a better place for that fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Icon Of Sin posted:

Chemical corps is forever doomed to do literally anything but their primary purpose, and the world is a better place for that fact.

If ChemCorps ever has to do their actual jobs, sign me the gently caress up for the next shotgun mouthwash because gently caress living in that world. My year in Korea taught me a lot of things (mostly about aggressively borderline-functional alcoholism) and one of them was you don't want to live through a no poo poo chem/bio exchange.