Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, i figure japanese is the way to go 99% of the time but i had to make sure this wasn't a xenoblade situation where the english/welsh is endearing itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Electromax posted:

Something about the sound design and music plus the helmet effects and wet chunky environments make the vibes intense in Prime. It's like an ASMR game

Yeah great sense of place

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

I forgot about this game and had to Google it.

I loved Pushmo and would buy a switch sequel in an instant!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Switch is truly dead if Nintendo's most beloved and respected third party developer is jumping ship like this

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

flavor.flv posted:

The Switch is truly dead if Nintendo's most beloved and respected third party developer is jumping ship like this

Capcom is leaving???

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

I'd really love to know the details behind this tbh

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Apple probably paid money for exclusivity

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Game Freak has made plenty of games for non-Nintendo systems prior. None of them Pokemon, of course, but games you've never heard of like Little Town Hero in 2019, or Tembo the Badass Elephant were published by companies other than Nintendo and thus had releases on other platforms.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Pushmo was great. more Pushmo please.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can't believe Apple bought pokemon

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MarcusSA posted:

I'd really love to know the details behind this tbh
It’s a phone port of a 3DS game. Hope this helps.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

been a while since we had a new Dr. Mario. And did I hear a new Kirby might be on the horizon? 2023 looking up!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

abelwingnut posted:

yea, i figure japanese is the way to go 99% of the time but i had to make sure this wasn't a xenoblade situation where the english/welsh is endearing itself.

the dub is super good, and insanely impressive considering it was recorded in the beginning of covid

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

The 13 Sentinels English dub is really really good!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Mister Facetious posted:

Capcom is leaving???

Put The Minish Cap on Switch, you cowards.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Maybe someone less neurodivergent wouldn't have this problem but I appreciate the 13 Sentinels dub because there is a lot of text in that game. Like, A LOT of text.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Jet Jaguar posted:

Put The Minish Cap on Switch, you cowards.

best i can do is link's awakening

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

It’s a phone port of a 3DS game. Hope this helps.

Wow you don't say

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Fiances right joycon has stopped being automatically paired to the switch when its connected despite working fine wirelessly so its my first experience with nintendos repair support. It seems like the original switch joycons are just really shoddily made because shes had it less rime than i had the OLED and ive never had any weird issues.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I’ve had that problem before but disconnecting/reconnecting with various amounts of force always fixed it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

jony neuemonic posted:

To be fair it is kind of silly that Hamster’s Neo Geo releases don’t include both the arcade and console modes. IIRC both modes were in the original carts.

But yeah good emulation with no frills done cheap is Hamsters whole thing.
I think this might be by SNK fiat, I don’t think the devs of the SamSho collection were allowed to include AES mode despite it basically being a BIOS switch.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

abelwingnut posted:

alright, gonna start 13 sentinels here in a bit. one more question, though: english or japanese audio?

I thought the dub was fine tbh

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

abelwingnut posted:

alright, gonna start 13 sentinels here in a bit. one more question, though: english or japanese audio?

the answer to this question is always "the language you speak" unless it's a) a replay b) you get enjoyment out of hearing a language you can't understand

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

B33rChiller posted:

been a while since we had a new Dr. Mario. And did I hear a new Kirby might be on the horizon? 2023 looking up!

Return To Dreamland is getting a port to switch with at least 1 new copy ability and changing the DeDeDe model to match Forgotten Land.

https://youtu.be/zAQZY2UVcoQ

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The only time i remember going out of my way to change the language to something else was sekiro because i couldnt take the english dub seriously

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

JollyBoyJohn posted:

the answer to this question is always "the language you speak" unless it's a) a replay b) you get enjoyment out of hearing a language you can't understand

c) the dub is really loving bad
d) the writing/translation is really loving bad and not being able to understand the actors makes it a little less embarrassing
e) it's yakuza

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Not really.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

flavor.flv posted:

e) it's yakuza

I'll give you that although only because it's not actually an option (unless its the ps2 originals AFAIK)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'll give you that although only because it's not actually an option (unless its the ps2 originals AFAIK)

Judgment, Like A Dragon and Lost Judgment have dubs again. The subtitle script also changes depending on if you're playing the games with Japanese or English voices too.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
if you've watched anime since you were 13 and english isn't your first language, any english/american dub however good is always gonna sound bad. don't ask me why. there's just something about hearing an anime sound like an american or a brit that drives an icepick into my brain. an icepick made of cringe!!!

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
counterpoint: eunie's the boss

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

The only time i remember going out of my way to change the language to something else was sekiro because i couldnt take the english dub seriously

The Sekiro English dub is perfect because it shifts the tone squarely into Kung Pow territory

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Foul Fowl posted:

if you've watched anime since you were 13 and english isn't your first language, any english/american dub however good is always gonna sound bad. don't ask me why. there's just something about hearing an anime sound like an american or a brit that drives an icepick into my brain. an icepick made of cringe!!!

This is me even though English is my only language lol

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm a big fan of the Netflix anime model where the subtitles are a more literal translation of the original script wholly divorced from the dubbed script.

Not sure if that appeals to literally anyone else but it's the best of both worlds to me.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm a big fan of the Netflix anime model where the subtitles are a more literal translation of the original script wholly divorced from the dubbed script.

Not sure if that appeals to literally anyone else but it's the best of both worlds to me.

I'm pretty sure this is just producers being lazy because it's quicker to automate from the script, because a bunch of shows do this even in English with English subtitles, so you'll see random sentences where the subtitles don't match what's being said onscreen.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

No, it's a completely separate translation with its own jokes and things. It's one of the few things Netflix anime is good for

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It common in anime but extremely rare in games, the only series that has separate subs for the eng and Japanese dubs is probably Yakuza and only recently.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Ah... The eternal debate of subs vs dubs continues.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

flavor.flv posted:

No, it's a completely separate translation with its own jokes and things. It's one of the few things Netflix anime is good for

Oh cool. I'm sorry for underestimating them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Foul Fowl posted:

My favorite thing is the trend of redubbing shows yearly now, just to add more pointless cuss words that never existed in the original or the old dubs. I hope Toonami takes over video game dubs so we can finally hear Mario say a hard C when he gets about 20 new lines that never existed in the Japanese original. Then everyone will see English dubs are cool and good.