Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jesus this story is bonkers.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/03/eleanor-williams-lied-grooming-gang-guilty-perverting-justice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Wait is this for real? Or is it just a reference to the subsidies ongoing anyway and not related to the strike in particular?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The tories are a bunch of loving cunts either way.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
It's real - the govenment has covered all losses suffered by the rail companies from the strikes; Lynch has been saying this in interviews for weeks and no one has called him on it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://i.imgur.com/Madb0wA.mp4

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
it's hard to say what exactly it's referring to without a source, but performance payments for rail franchisees exclude in the calculation periods affected by industrial action: a strike is reasonably considered out of the control of the franchisees since the DfT de facto overdetermines fares, industry structures, service levels, etc. anyway.

the RMT has been highlighting that it is effectively negotiating with the government, not the rail franchisees: https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-calls-for-face-to-face-meeting-with-shapps/

the game being played is one of seeing who the public blames when the government does finally intervene, noting that the 2019 Conservative manifesto pledged that

quote:

We will require that a minimum service operates during transport strikes. Rail workers deserve a fair deal, but it is not fair to let the trade unions undermine the livelihoods of others.

and so this has been stewing for a while, despite being a couple of prime ministers later:

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/transport-strikes-minimum-service-levels-bill

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

ronya posted:

and so this has been stewing for a while, despite being a couple of prime ministers later:

So like a month

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

elbkaida posted:

Wait is this for real? Or is it just a reference to the subsidies ongoing anyway and not related to the strike in particular?

It will end up ten times or more, just wait and see.
The whole point of not giving the pay is to keep them at slave wages for future profits and selling off to US pharma companies for these two sectors (Nurses and Railways).
And to ensure that all other sectors, teachers, bin men, etc don't see the getting money and start asking for some themselves.
For the Tories, stomping on them and not giving them a livable way will keep the rest of the oiks in line.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

tiktok supposedly harvests about half what facebook or candy crush does, but as you say it gets way more concerned articles because [insert slur].

two apps I despise

the former for obvious reasons and the latter because of its lovely business practices not dissimilar to the former

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

don't think the candy game has caused any genocides tho so it's still the lesser evil

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I see that Rishi! wants all students to study Maths until they're 18.
Yet another stone-cold classic policy from the Tories.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

well on the plus side that's extra income for me as a side hustle as a tutor

wait was the thread really been stone cold silent for 4 hours

oh god we're uncool

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kingturnip posted:

The International Bacc required this (still does in some form though I'm not sure what that is).

So you had a whole load of post 16s doing "maths studies" who didn't want to be there, didn't turn up half the time, and pissed the teacher off who at least hopes when teaching A-level to have kids who are somewhat motivated in maths - whether because they love and adore it or because they see the relevance to whatever their future studies/jobs might entail.

What is needed is understanding percentages, calculating mortgages, debts, 'credit' cards, misleading tory govt graphs & stats, fact that if inflation % goes down prices are still going UP just not as fast unless or until entering 'deflation'.

it's like the thing teachers used to have to do if they didn't have GCSE maths, I tutored a couple of wannabe teacher trainees for it long time ago, and it was very focused on understanding reports - interpreting graphs, being able to relate figures from one year to a previous year eg pass rates & things like that. Not a bit like GCSE maths 'find the area of this peculiar shape here which consists of a triangle sat on top of a rhombus with a circle cut out the middle or whatever.

Saw this comment under an article on the topic in the Independent:

"
Question 1: If I donate £170,000 to the Conservative Party, what is the value of useless PPE I can sell to the NHS? a) £100 million, b) £122 million or c) £0 because it would be unethical.
Question 2: In the above example, how much of the proceeds can I put into a tax free Isle of Man Trust and not declare it? a) £9 million, b) £29 million or c) £0 because it would be criminal tax evasion.
Question 3: If Akshata marries Rishi and earns £11.5 million in dividends, how much tax would she pay on the income? a) £5.175 million - 45%, b) £30,000 Non-Dom fee to avoid paying income tax, or c) £29,600 because she also got £400 off her gas and electricity bills.
Question 4: How much does a peerage cost in Russian Rubles? a) 60 million, b) 180 million, c) how much have you got.
A pass mark gives you the opportunity of a lifetime as a special adviser in the Treasury followed by a seat on the Board of a London gambling house / merchant bank. Failure consigns you to lifetime of being robbed blind."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/rishi-sunak-maths-schools-18-b2255449.html

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1610350695676350466?cxt=HHwWhMC8uZ_bjtksAAAA

didn't realize 'cops if your quick' was literal

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

To be fair the guy sounds like a proper c*nt.

beeb article posted:

Nardeen Nemat, prosecuting, told the court the victim was awoken in his bed by being hit in the face with his own rugby ball.

He found Bunclark, of St Oswalds Lane in Netherton, and two other men in his room. Bunclark told him to get out while the other man, who had thrown the ball, punched him.

Mr Wilson, who was bleeding, went down to reception to seek help but the two men followed and in the ensuing pushing, shoving and arguing they both punched him and he fell to the floor unconscious, the court heard.

He suffered a fractured cheek bone but was too afraid to go to hospital in case he was attacked again and while it had since healed it constantly clicks, the court heard.

In a victim impact statement he told how he has had to move out of Merseyside as a result and his mental health has suffered.

Jailing Bunclark, who has previous convictions for violence, Judge Garrett Byrne said he had a history of breaching court orders and there was no realistic prospect of rehabilitation.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 4, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

What we really need is home econ classes on how to make shivs and molotovs for the eventual uprising against said cunts. I can't wait until they're burning on a pyre.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Diet Crack posted:

What we really need is home econ classes on how to make shivs and molotovs for the eventual uprising against said cunts. I can't wait until they're burning on a pyre.

Yeah, you can't even realistically swing this as "we need to prepare young people for the jobs this country needs" since 90%+ of jobs would benefit precisely nothing from recruiting people with an A-Level in Maths.

It's just "Goldman Sachs are telling me they have to actually pay a premium for new hires these days. THIS WILL NOT DO"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Thinking about all the times I've used differentiation and integration in my daily life since finishing 6th form

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

If you're not calculating probabilities for continuous random variables all day, what are you even doing with your life?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

It's a shocking story - heavens knows how many people she's hurt with her lies.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rarity posted:

Thinking about all the times I've used differentiation and integration in my daily life since finishing 6th form

I'd argue that understanding the concept of a derivative is useful in society, but obviously that is not what any of this is about

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's a shocking story - heavens knows how many people she's hurt with her lies.

Probably way more than we can calculate given the fuel this will give to 'women constantly lie about rape' crowd which already means women are reluctant to come forward about sexual abuse.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

kingturnip posted:

The amount of jobs which requires maths higher than what you learn at GCSE is minuscule, and are all staffed by the people who actually enjoy maths enough to continue studying it. I have a degree in maths with first class honours, while I don’t really use maths much in my job I do use some basic stuff like trig for figuring out angles for hobbyist woodworking, so probably more than 98% of the population, and still none of it is more complex than GCSE level stuff.

What a pointless waste of time this is. What they need to do is revise the maths curriculum at lower levels so that it doesn’t result in almost everyone utterly HATING maths by the time they graduate.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Rishi sunak looks like the kind of nerd that would have sat at the front of maths class and shushed the other students when they messed about

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I think it’s very progressive that the UK finally got a massive dork as Prime Minister. He makes John Major look edgy and cool

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's true what they say about maths having a hard ceiling that most people just won't break through. I forced myself to do A level maths, even after getting a D at AS level and re-sitting - and it was a pointless mistake and a waste of everyone's time.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Also there's already not enough maths teachers.

Because teachers pay is poo poo, the workload huge, and anyone with a maths degree can get a better job elsewhere.

How does Sunak think he can magically fix this? Because it's surely not more money.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Force Romesh Ranganathan out of retirement as a teacher to do a daily BBC show teaching A level maths. It can replace the news; that just keeps telling mean stories about the government.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I was told my by 6th form that if I wanted to do A-level computing I had to do maths. I didn't, and got the highest grade of the class.

In my computer science degree I was told by my university I had to do a maths course using CALMAT, literally running through modules and ticking boxes. I got my brother to come and do it for me. I got a 2:1 and none of the maths was ever relevant. Now I work in networking and none of these things are ever needed.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I was told my by 6th form that if I wanted to do A-level computing I had to do maths. I didn't, and got the highest grade of the class.

In my computer science degree I was told by my university I had to do a maths course using CALMAT, literally running through modules and ticking boxes. I got my brother to come and do it for me. I got a 2:1 and none of the maths was ever relevant. Now I work in networking and none of these things are ever needed.

Grassing you up for cheating, you cheat

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

forkboy84 posted:

Grassing you up for cheating, you cheat

I only had to get my brother to come do it for me once they caught me finding and exploiting a bug in the application to mark things done when they weren't.

Then after that I got caught again having taken a screenshot of the interface, photoshopped it to make it look like it was completed and displayed the image fullscreen before calling the supervisor over to show them.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Noxville posted:

What a pointless waste of time this is. What they need to do is revise the maths curriculum at lower levels so that it doesn’t result in almost everyone utterly HATING maths by the time they graduate.

I didn't go to school in the UK but we managed to cover 90% of what was in engineering maths at uni despite me not taking maths electives in the last two years, including differential equations, fourier transforms and how they relate to frequencies and the unit circle, as well as basics of group theory.

To also be fair it was a school with selective admissions so it's probably not that meaningful more widely.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Illness update:

Called the GP yesterday morning, got a same day appointment *audience gasps*, Doctor has diagnosed me with a chest infection and sinusitis, signed me off work for 2 weeks and given me amoxicillin :getin:

I'm going to celebrate with one of my current favourite cocktails, recipe below:

- Ribena
- Hot

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm a programmer and my A Levels were in History, English and Religious Studies. I've never even needed GCSE maths for anything professional in a quarter of a century of doing this (I did use trig once for some hobby robotics stuff).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sinusitis was horrible. I got it on one side and was basically one-eyed for a week.

I found a neti pot can help relieve the symptoms, although I only found that out years later when it threatened to return. I bought the neti pot years ago and only use it every couple of years but every time I do I'm so goddamn thankful for it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Noxville posted:

What they need to do is revise the maths curriculum at lower levels so that it doesn’t result in almost everyone utterly HATING maths by the time they graduate.
While also being aware that this has nothing to do with the constant calls to make it 'useful' or 'relevant'

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Harry Potter book is very relevant to real life for many kids, it's the holy book that opens them to the religion of LibDem.

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017

Microplastics posted:

I'm going to celebrate with one of my current favourite cocktails, recipe below:

- Ribena
- Hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Can't remember the name of the Tory MP, but it's one of the ones that is always getting called sensible, anyway he basically said the Government's strategy was to never give into the strikes because the public can't be shown that strikes work.