Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The SG Traditional Pro had already been sold, but the shop still had a B Stock G-400 Pro that I had mentally noted as a second choice. I really like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I am mortified that I misspelt yer name.

Technically I misspelled it way back when I chose it to be my internet identity.

It's originally from a P-Funk song called "Night of the Thumpasorus Peoples"

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 2, 2023

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

big ups to faust for fixing my fucky guitar wiring, and not murdering me even after having to listen to my guitar noodling for 3.5 hours

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Zen. Hanging with a guitarist, performing guitar maintenance, and watching C-SPAN. Still loving the colors on lg's Strat. Thanks for dropping by, lg. :)

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I asked this in the computer-toucher chair thread, but figured this might be a good place to ask as well - do any of you have a recommendation for a nice office chair that also works while you're playing guitar (i.e. the armrests can be moved completely out of the way)?

The lovely Amazon special drafting chair I've had for years now does that really well, but it's poo poo at being a chair that I should be siting in for as many hours as I do, so it's time to get a nice office chair, but I'd like to not need to also keep my drafting chair or another stool around for guitar time.

All of the fancy Herman Miller chairs either look like the armrests only go up and down and may not be "out of the way" enough in the most downward setting to be comfortable playing guitar in, or it's just impossible to tell if you can swing the armrests away from the chair from the videos on their website. I'm not hung up on getting a HM chair at all, just using them as an example.

Anyone here have something they love that works well for both businessing and guitaring?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I work from home and keep a guitar at my desk. I don't find the armrests get in the way if I'm sitting with good posture.

Which I don't do I am a pretzelman

It's some kind of older herman miller

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I use a herman miller mirra that I bought ages ago and sometimes sit down to play and I never notice the arm rests. I don't regret spending so much on a chair at all.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

wearing a strap while seated has been helping out my back a bit

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Zen. Hanging with a guitarist, performing guitar maintenance, and watching C-SPAN. Still loving the colors on lg's Strat. Thanks for dropping by, lg. :)

Instinctually went to hit 'Suscribe' below that photo.

Don't particularly care for strats, but that is a great colour.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

havelock posted:

I use a herman miller mirra that I bought ages ago and sometimes sit down to play and I never notice the arm rests. I don't regret spending so much on a chair at all.

I use an aeron and have swapped to classical because of the armrests. I assume my back will thank me eventually, but the edge of the plastic frame of the aeron sure does a number on my butt after about an hour.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
This is my desk chair, both at home and in the office.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/markus-office-chair-vissle-dark-gray-90289172/

You can choose whether to install either armrest, but I haven't found they interfere why my guitar playing at all.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Bought a Classic Vibe Baritone Custom Telecaster from Amazon's warehouse. Sold as "good, will come repackaged"

Has a decent sized ding at the very tip of the headstock, and the shipping box had a big hole in the same spot. Top is perfect, no marks anywhere. Back has some scuffing, would probably buff out, but it'll get more just from normal playing. Picked it up and one of the knobs fell off. Set screw almost all the way out, so it was loose on the shaft. Speaking of, these have round shaft pots? At least this one does.

But I'm kinda pissed, because I go to tune it up and tuned to B the strings are flopping all over. I'm like what the hell, these feel terrible. Hmm, they seem kinda skinny. Grab the calipers, and it has what appears to be a set of .10-.46 D'Addarios on it. Like what the gently caress, did someone buy this, restring with regular guitar strings then return it? So now there's a set of .14-.68 strings on the way. I'm not going to be too upset, the Amazon Warehouse stuff can be a crapshoot, but the price was good, and I had a poo poo-ton of gift cards, and everything about it seems good so far.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
For the first time in ages I have the day off and no kids. I'm off to Andertons to browse and noodle the hours away.

I'm due to come into a couple of thousand pounds in the next few months and I'm keen on getting a few treats for myself. I'm an intermediate and play mainly on my acoustics but wanted to branch out a bit.

I want a strat (only electric at the moment is a crusty second hand epiphone Les Paul). I was thinking a fender player?

Then Im planning on getting a pedal board. Maybe one with a built in power unit. Any recommendations?

And finally a new amp too! You guys love the katanas right? What's the right size if I mainly play in my living room? I have the space for a big one if needed but very rarely am I going to play that loud so don't need anything crazy. Also I like a bit of metal from time to time but I'm into a more chill sound when I play.

Any tips on a couple of pedals? I have a looper and a multi effects pedal at the moment.

Sorry for long post! I'm just excited to do something for myself for once :)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Quizzlefish posted:

I'm just excited to do something for myself for once :)
Yay! Standing by for pictures.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Quizzlefish posted:

For the first time in ages I have the day off and no kids. I'm off to Andertons to browse and noodle the hours away.

I'm due to come into a couple of thousand pounds in the next few months and I'm keen on getting a few treats for myself. I'm an intermediate and play mainly on my acoustics but wanted to branch out a bit.

I want a strat (only electric at the moment is a crusty second hand epiphone Les Paul). I was thinking a fender player?

Then Im planning on getting a pedal board. Maybe one with a built in power unit. Any recommendations?

And finally a new amp too! You guys love the katanas right? What's the right size if I mainly play in my living room? I have the space for a big one if needed but very rarely am I going to play that loud so don't need anything crazy. Also I like a bit of metal from time to time but I'm into a more chill sound when I play.

Any tips on a couple of pedals? I have a looper and a multi effects pedal at the moment.

Sorry for long post! I'm just excited to do something for myself for once :)

What kind of music do you currently play and what kind of music do you want to play on an electric? Which guitarists/songs do you like the tone of?

A player strat or tele are never a bad idea. Both are incredibly flexible guitars.

It all depends on how much you want to spend but if you're looking at a katana and a pedal board, I would suggest possibly looking at a blues junior instead. It's going to sound like heaven clean with a strat and will make an incredible pedal platform. If you go with a katana, maybe play around with it for a while first before splurging on pedals. Pedals can be an expensive and slippery slope, full of trial and error to find what you like. Options used to be fairly limited just 20 years ago and now it's literally endless with so many manufactures from big companies like boss to small boutique shops that are basically a guy in his garage. Plus so many pedals now are copies of copies of copies with slight differences based on what that maker preferred and there's no real way of knowing if you like it without playing it through your gear. That said you can still find relatively great pedals for cheap.

With pedals, consider the effects you want. Some common ones are:
Drive/distortion/fuzz
Time/delay
Phase/flange/tremolo
Compression/volume/boost
Eq
Reverb/echo
Synth

If you go with a non-modeling amp,

A few classic overdrives are the boss blues driver, tube screamer, klon copy, nobels odr1, or splurge and go with my favorite the Browne protein dual overdrive.

My next suggestion would be a nice reverb. You could go with something like a TC hall of Fame reverb, or splurge on a Strymon big sky.

The options are endless but if you're at andertons, try the guitar you want through several amps to hear how it sounds, whether that's the katana or anything else, modeling or tube.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Quizzlefish posted:

I've had no issues with a MIM Strat and Player Telecaster over the years - love them both.

I think you'd be fine with a 50w Katana - mine is mostly played at living-in-a-flat levels, but its nice to know I can go MUCH louder if needed.

One cool thing about the Katana is you can use the tone studio to audition kinds of pedals, but my "always on" options are a compressor, dirt pedal, delay and reverb. Between your multi-effects pedal and potential Katana though, you're going to get a lot of those built in to the amp. I'd be tempted to hold off on pedals despite the temptation of GAS and see how you get on.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
I was thinking a John Mayer esque sound is what I was aiming for

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Verman posted:

What kind of music do you currently play and what kind of music do you want to play on an electric? Which guitarists/songs do you like the tone of?

A player strat or tele are never a bad idea. Both are incredibly flexible guitars.

It all depends on how much you want to spend but if you're looking at a katana and a pedal board, I would suggest possibly looking at a blues junior instead. It's going to sound like heaven clean with a strat and will make an incredible pedal platform. If you go with a katana, maybe play around with it for a while first before splurging on pedals. Pedals can be an expensive and slippery slope, full of trial and error to find what you like. Options used to be fairly limited just 20 years ago and now it's literally endless with so many manufactures from big companies like boss to small boutique shops that are basically a guy in his garage. Plus so many pedals now are copies of copies of copies with slight differences based on what that maker preferred and there's no real way of knowing if you like it without playing it through your gear. That said you can still find relatively great pedals for cheap.

With pedals, consider the effects you want. Some common ones are:
Drive/distortion/fuzz
Time/delay
Phase/flange/tremolo
Compression/volume/boost
Eq
Reverb/echo
Synth

If you go with a non-modeling amp,

A few classic overdrives are the boss blues driver, tube screamer, klon copy, nobels odr1, or splurge and go with my favorite the Browne protein dual overdrive.

My next suggestion would be a nice reverb. You could go with something like a TC hall of Fame reverb, or splurge on a Strymon big sky.

The options are endless but if you're at andertons, try the guitar you want through several amps to hear how it sounds, whether that's the katana or anything else, modeling or tube.

Is what your saying that a katana doesn't have as nice a clean channel but is more jack of all trades?

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
I'm in the shop and actually much preferring the John Mayer PRS strat to the fender player. But it feels like it has a much lower action so maybe I'm just a sucker for it being easier to play as a result?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

BCRock posted:

I asked this in the computer-toucher chair thread, but figured this might be a good place to ask as well - do any of you have a recommendation for a nice office chair that also works while you're playing guitar (i.e. the armrests can be moved completely out of the way)?

The lovely Amazon special drafting chair I've had for years now does that really well, but it's poo poo at being a chair that I should be siting in for as many hours as I do, so it's time to get a nice office chair, but I'd like to not need to also keep my drafting chair or another stool around for guitar time.

All of the fancy Herman Miller chairs either look like the armrests only go up and down and may not be "out of the way" enough in the most downward setting to be comfortable playing guitar in, or it's just impossible to tell if you can swing the armrests away from the chair from the videos on their website. I'm not hung up on getting a HM chair at all, just using them as an example.

Anyone here have something they love that works well for both businessing and guitaring?

I did this hunt a few years ago and chanced a Steelcase Gesture - the arms do not move enough to use the backrest during play and I find it uncomfortable to have to sit further forward on the cushion. I think if I played in classical position I wouldn't have this issue. I kept it because for office stuff it's incredible and I liked it more than the Aerons and Leaps I'd had at jobs in the past.

I upgraded from an old Ikea Markus, so I ended up taking the arms off of that and using it as a music chair. For that purpose it works great, but it doesn't really compare to Herman Miller/Steelcase/etc ergonomically.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i talked about this to faust yesterday but i want to post it here:

the JB is a magic pickup.

you know how the RAT is the best pedal, and it's $99 new? the JB is a super useable but distinct humbucker that does everything very well, and it's mass produced and you can get one at guitar center and it's also $99 new. god tier.

cannot recommend it enough, absolutely adore it.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

also few know this but it actually stands for Justin Bieber

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It actually stands for Jim Broadbent, an actor who Seymour thought could hnadle any role adeptly.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Actually it stands for "Just Boomers."

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Quizzlefish posted:

Is what your saying that a katana doesn't have as nice a clean channel but is more jack of all trades?

That’s what I’d take away from it. That’s just an opinion though.

I think a Katana would suit your situation considerably better even with a pedalboard in the offing. My reasoning is that the Katana has a headphone out and an attenuator of sorts, which should keep it in check when necessary but still give you enough to work with for jamming. A 100W would be even nicer as they have an FX loop, but they do carry a premium.

The other thing is the Katana sports some great built-in FX. Maybe rather than getting a pedalboard now you see what ones you really like and get dedicated units for that. Effect pedals are definitely worth doing your research on, so I would consider a slower approach to building that up personally.

This is also just an opinion. The real answer is you should try a handful of amps out and pick what you like best. Just don’t totally paper over practical aspects, you do want to use the thing.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
So I've decided I want an electric guitar with a Killswitch because I'm a middle aged boomer with an Eddie Van Halen fetish. I'm looking at the EVH 5150 series. I really like the purple deluxe but the slime green also calls my name. They both look solid overall. The only thing that really seems different are the pickups. the standard has wolfgang pickups where as the deluxe has alnico wolfgangs? It seems like whenever I got into GC they only have the Wolfgang series in stock so I can't really directly compare side by side. Anyone have any thoughts?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/5150DxPD--evh-5150-deluxe-series-electric-guitar-purple-daze

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/5150StdSG--evh-5150-standard-series-electric-guitar-slime-green

drhankmccoyphd fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 4, 2023

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Quizzlefish posted:

I'm in the shop and actually much preferring the John Mayer PRS strat to the fender player. But it feels like it has a much lower action so maybe I'm just a sucker for it being easier to play as a result?

get the PRS instead of the fender, especially if you like it better! but also because PRS is a much better guitar maker than fender is.

a lot of people have preconceived notions about which brand of guitar is best before they go into the store, but it's not real, it's all hype and marketing. there are so many manufacturers that build better guitars more consistently than Fender and Gibson. Like G&L, Suhr, Schecter, etc.

Remember that post from a couple weeks ago about the full price Fender Strat with all the QC issues? They don't have to make the best guitars because their brand is so prominent, and they know it!

That said, if you find a specific Fender or Gibson that gives you exactly what you want out of a guitar, no QC problems, by all means, go for it. Im just saying: don't rule out these other makers before you get to the shop.

EDIT: the post with the bad fender:

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 4, 2023

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I wish the PRS strat came in the same sparkly blue thing as my Fender players strat and they made one with a Floyd Rose.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I was thinking of suggesting the PRS Silver Sky too, once Mayer was mentioned. I *hate* those corny birds though, but that's a me problem.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Disco Pope posted:

I was thinking of suggesting the PRS Silver Sky too, once Mayer was mentioned. I *hate* those corny birds though, but that's a me problem.

the birds always give like, Buckle from 2009

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

drhankmccoyphd posted:

So I've decided I want an electric guitar with a Killswitch because I'm a middle aged boomer with an Eddie Van Halen fetish. I'm looking at the EVH 5150 series. I really like the purple deluxe but the slime green also calls my name. They both look solid overall. The only thing that really seems different are the pickups. the standard has wolfgang pickups where as the deluxe has alnico wolfgangs? It seems like whenever I got into GC they only have the Wolfgang series in stock so I can't really directly compare side by side. Anyone have any thoughts?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/5150DxPD--evh-5150-deluxe-series-electric-guitar-purple-daze

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/5150StdSG--evh-5150-standard-series-electric-guitar-slime-green
They are magic. This was an impulse buy and it quickly filled a gaping hole in my stable of guitars and does it brilliantly.

I just recently went out on a limb and picked up a new B-stock 2021 5150 Standard in stealth black. It gave me all the EVH love I was looking for in the strat-shaped (1984 Kramer body) config. It is, as I think you know, a legit EVH 5150 Striped build but with the two wolfgang pickup loadout and kill-switch, without the stripes. I put the 5150 decal on it and I'm :swoon: over it. My feelings about Eddie are complicated and I will spare you all, suffice to say I do love the guy and though I would never want a stripe replica the platform is what it is. You want a decked Floyd Rose with a D-Tuna and Eddie's pickups for bustin' out Panama and Unchained this thing fucks.

Why? It's built in Mexico by the same cats who build the Charvel San Dimas reissues and they share some nice features. The neck on my 5150 is one of the best necks in my house now and I can't believe it. I love it. Rough satin back, smooth fret edges, and pitch-black (I assume dyed?) ebony fretboard. Compound radius with exposed truss rod adjustment. It gives off my "Hey, I love Eddie too I just don't want to be the millionth guy with a Frankie" love.

The low-friction volume pot is actually super sensitive and wonderful, too.

I love the pickups although they are a little too smooth-sounding with saturation. My Pearly Gates, Custom Custom, and JB do old-school EVH better IMO. They sound dead-on for later Eddie, though.

I mean just look at this thing. UNF. They're all over Reverb for about $800 or so. I spent a bit less than that and the decal was like $15. I won't be modding this guitar (except I want a red D-tuna for some reason).

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 4, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think the 3x3 headstock looks doofy on a strat.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think the 3x3 headstock looks doofy on a strat.

I also think what they changed the horn to is uglier than a Strat, but i think I’d get over it and it’s probably just a legal thing.

Edit: wait isn’t the shape public domain? Why’d they do that?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't know if the strat shape is technically public domain, but I think PRS just did it to make it very slightly unique.

Remember when Gibson made a Jimi Hendrix signature model that was just a shittier strat?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't know if the strat shape is technically public domain, but I think PRS just did it to make it very slightly unique.

Remember when Gibson made a Jimi Hendrix signature model that was just a shittier strat?

Didn’t know it existed, but they did a uniquely bad job: Even the dots spacing on the 12 is off. Also the gaudy branding:

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
I’m late to chair-chat but wanna share that when my old office liquidated chairs, I was late to the giveaway and all that was left was an aeron with the right arm broken off.

… which gets it out of the way of a guitar, and turns it into the best pickin chair I’ve ever owned.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
As someone who is also newly flush with Christmas cash, do you all have any recommendations on gear for setting up guitars (and a bass, too)? My local guy does a great job, but I live in an expensive part of the country and two guitars and a bass add up, so perhaps it's best if I learn to do it myself. So far, I have one of those combo string winders/cutters and a Leatherman, but not much else in the way of tools.

edit: for chair chat, I have a stool from a furniture store that is meant to be a side table, but I definitely use it more for practice

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 4, 2023

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

TheMightyBoops posted:

Didn’t know it existed, but they did a uniquely bad job: Even the dots spacing on the 12 is off. Also the gaudy branding:

Oh god, that looks like a poo poo Strat you'd get from one of those knockoff AliExpress websites.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Helianthus Annuus posted:

get the PRS instead of the fender, especially if you like it better! but also because PRS is a much better guitar maker than fender is.

a lot of people have preconceived notions about which brand of guitar is best before they go into the store, but it's not real, it's all hype and marketing. there are so many manufacturers that build better guitars more consistently than Fender and Gibson. Like G&L, Suhr, Schecter, etc.

Remember that post from a couple weeks ago about the full price Fender Strat with all the QC issues? They don't have to make the best guitars because their brand is so prominent, and they know it!

That said, if you find a specific Fender or Gibson that gives you exactly what you want out of a guitar, no QC problems, by all means, go for it. Im just saying: don't rule out these other makers before you get to the shop.

EDIT: the post with the bad fender:

tbf what the poster describes does sound just like a setup issue. for what its worth im still looking for the same fender model without the qc problems. I can't tell you how many misaligned necks i've seen at this point.. but it's a.. lot.. and that's just something you can see right away in the pictures. my rule for buying new fenders at this point is use sweetwater or a shop that you absolutely know will take it back if you find a qc issue.

I don't think the quality issues are quite as prevalent on the mexican line or any line are quite as bad as they are on the reissues, and that looks to have been true for a pretty long time. The mia AV reissues are a trap for very specific buyers who already have perfectly fine guitars and want something exceptionally specific. I could definitely draw some marketing to quality control conclusions on that but having compared directly between mims and mias and to other makers to the reissue it's not all just hype, the guitar felt quite different in feel, fit and finish mostly in the neck, but even down to the nitro lacquer body (but boy do not get me started on how the AV reissues do not have flashcoats like custom shops though).

all this stuff is pretty technical and specific to more expensive heavily taxed models tho... I think if you walk into a shop and find a PRS that plays to your liking over the player, by all means go for it! assuming you can stomach the ugly headstock :) but also don't be afraid to try more fenders with lower action in the shop. and see if you think the prs is still better. If you like the PRS still congrats, you will live a less expensive life than me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Thanks for all the help all. Went with the PRS and a 50watt katana. Loving it so far.

And I took your advice and paused the pedals for now. My wallet thanks you