Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Rod will never knowingly kill himself. Suicide is a mortal sin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartin Mad
Nov 23, 2022

by Hand Knit

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I borderline think Rod has to have a humiliation fetish or something. He could easily just write culture war poo poo without constantly going into embarrassing confessional mode about primitive root weiners or being one of the most divorced former Americans of all time, and he has to be aware of the reading series by now, so what drives him to do this? And why do people who don't hate him read and enjoy it?

he's 100% getting off on this yea. Probably not in the actual 'my dick is hard and I'm blasting ropes being called a freak online' sense but tbh I think he's gone so far into his weird regression poo poo he can't gently caress normally anyway so that's moot. He's gotta be having some part of his brain stimulated the same way humiliation pervs do every time he spends a day getting called a weird little freak.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Maybe theres some sort of Orthodox loophole.

That's called Vodka.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I borderline think Rod has to have a humiliation fetish or something. He could easily just write culture war poo poo without constantly going into embarrassing confessional mode about primitive root weiners or being one of the most divorced former Americans of all time, and he has to be aware of the reading series by now, so what drives him to do this? And why do people who don't hate him read and enjoy it?

Adult catholic converts are the most demented freaks on the planet, out of all the flavors of christianity they chose the one with a gigantic bureaucracy to navigate and a lengthy documented history of child abuse. Nobody reads and enjoys him, he stays employed because the new york times' idea of an "intellectual" is old money writing thinkpeices that justify their demented freakdom.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Protestants definitely gently caress more kids per capita than catholics, they just don't have the bureaucracy to get caught as often

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Groovelord Neato posted:

How have I never heard of a TV show starring Sly Stallone.

edit: drat the hot lady from I'm Sorry is on it I might have to watch.

Laura Montez, please.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dreffen posted:

Laura Montez, please.

Never watched Veep so she's herself from I'm Sorry or the therapist from Step Brothers to me.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

COPE 27 posted:

Protestants definitely gently caress more kids per capita than catholics, they just don't have the bureaucracy to get caught as often

All denominations are full of predators but catholicism is the only one where your local priest is in a chain of command that eventually hits someone implicated by the courts. No plausible deniability like with baptists or whatever where it could be a total coincidence why all these sex criminals share my exact belief system.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 29, 2022

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

little munchkin posted:

Adult catholic converts are the most demented freaks on the planet, out of all the flavors of christianity they chose the one with a gigantic bureaucracy to navigate and a lengthy documented history of child abuse. Nobody reads and enjoys him, he stays employed because the new york times' idea of an "intellectual" is old money writing thinkpeices that justify their demented freakdom.

You're mixing him up with Ross Douthat, Dreher's the one who converted away from Catholicism because he thinks it's too woke and writes for The American Conservative.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

You're mixing him up with Ross Douthat, Dreher's the one who converted away from Catholicism because he thinks it's too woke and writes for The American Conservative.

I did have them confused but looking it up Rod converted from methodist to catholic as an adult, and then to eastern orthodoxy. when he left the catholic church he said the sex abuse scandals weren't a pedophila issue they were a homosexual issue, which is a very cool thing to say. so same energy really, fortunately for him there was a church with almost as many rules but only straight pedophiles

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
It's a wealthy, regimented, hierarchical organization with its own parallel set of laws and morality that will protect and indemnify its ranking members for any wrong doing as long as they adhere to a code of silence and stay loyal

Any comparisons you want to draw to other organizations are up to you. I can't see converting to it as an adult but all the posters who make a big deal of how they did have some pretty normal brains

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

For anyone not already aware: Southern Baptists Refused to Act on Abuse, Despite Secret List of Pastors

quote:

Armed with a secret list of more than 700 abusive pastors, Southern Baptist leaders chose to protect the denomination from lawsuits rather than protect the people in their churches from further abuse.

This is very much the tip of the iceberg considering how the largest and fastest growing protestant churches are non-denominational and have zero oversight.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The SBC isn’t really a governing body; it doesn’t hold a level of control over member churches that would really expose it to liability in any case.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

no christmas ep and now a live show compilation episode to round out the year. very grim!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Blues Brothers is good, actually.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Never watched Veep so she's herself from I'm Sorry or the therapist from Step Brothers to me.

Veep is good, you should definitely watch it! I'm bummed I'm Sorry got the boot.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Kingfish posted:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Sphyre posted:

no christmas ep and now a live show compilation episode to round out the year. very grim!

We were promised they wouldn't record and play any of their terrible live shows.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

UP AND ADAM posted:

We were promised they wouldn't record and play any of their terrible live shows.

It's a Christmas miracle!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Kingfish posted:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Ooh i hope the seven almonds bit is in there.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if there's anything big religious orgs love more than raping children, it's "handling matters internally."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
re:blues brothers

https://twitter.com/ClemStalDim/status/1609005585927917568?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/ZeroSuitCamus/status/1608928676279881728?s=20&t=e0cB_Qs9FZpSdBHU1MK1Sw

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Broke/2021:
Primitive Root Weiner
Woke/2023:

Rod just continues to explore weird new heights.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I love Avatar talk.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I didn't expect them to take the Musk-fan-level-dickriding bit and make an entire episode out of it.

Whatever's going on with Dreher is more interesting than Avatar 2

https://twitter.com/roddreher/status/1610235374017867776

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 3, 2023

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Dreher is kinda boring to me now but i enjoyed the Avatar and Tulsa King eps.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Avatar was surprisingly good, and the ep discussing was also good. Movie Mindset, always good.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It would be cool if I never heard another word from or about Dreher ever again

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

It would be cool if I never heard another word from or about Dreher ever again

Rod Dreher owns sorry

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Avatar chat in Chapo episodes is boring. I'd rather hear about Dreher and his strange relationship with his sexuality.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

As much as I love every Rod reading series, I almost feel like it’s hit the asymptote. Yes the futuristic space penis is weird and funny, but in the end it all boils down to “geez just admit you’re gay, dude” and it doesn’t seem like it has a lot of other places to go.

On the other hand, give me 100x more johnkassnews.com readings where he complains about cargo shorts while communicating telepathically with a dream tiger. THAT’S an endless well.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cael posted:

On the other hand, give me 100x more johnkassnews.com readings where he complains about cargo shorts while communicating telepathically with a dream tiger. THAT’S an endless well.

:hmmyes:

Avatar chat was as dull this time as the first few times. I watched Avatar 1 again recently and a movie having anti-colonialist politics doesn't excuse it being bloated as gently caress and casting Sam Worthington as the leading man.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Felix has been dropping a lot of Lowtax jokes recently. Did he just find out?

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Halloween Jack posted:

Felix has been dropping a lot of Lowtax jokes recently. Did he just find out?

Find out what

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Cosmik Slop posted:

Find out what

Lowtax killed himself to avoid paying child support.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

of all the reading series, the Boston globe guy is my favorite. mcardle grenfell was the most infuriating

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

PostNouveau posted:

:hmmyes:

Avatar chat was as dull this time as the first few times. I watched Avatar 1 again recently and a movie having anti-colonialist politics doesn't excuse it being bloated as gently caress and casting Sam Worthington as the leading man.

it's very funny to me that james cameron is stuck with failed star sam worthington for all of avatar

he was in, what, avatar and a bad terminator and then fell off entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Having finished the episode, I like that their review recognized Cameron for dispensing with the cutesy ironic bullshit that permeates a lot of blockbusters these days.

i say swears online posted:

of all the reading series, the Boston globe guy is my favorite. mcardle grenfell was the most infuriating
McArdle may be the worst writer in the history of the English language. I'd compare her to William McGonagall, but at least "The Tay Bridge Disaster" recognizes that dozens of people dying horribly is a bad thing.