Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
DS2 feels like a lot of ideas thrown together. Which makes sense when you realise it's the only one not directed by Miyazaki.
It's got flaws but also some brilliant bits that haven't been surpassed since. Like the rat covenant is literally the most fun I've ever had ruining someone else's day. I maxed out every one of those traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Blattdorf posted:

Consider wiping your wishlist before the sale ends. Either buy it now while it's cheap or just remove it. If it's good, it'll eventually make its way back onto the wishlist.

Unfortunately steam’s discoverability is bad, so… yeah, HopperUK is right. It’s a storefront.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Mega Comrade posted:

DS2 feels like a lot of ideas thrown together. Which makes sense when you realise it's the only one not directed by Miyazaki.
It's got flaws but also some brilliant bits that haven't been surpassed since. Like the rat covenant is literally the most fun I've ever had ruining someone else's day. I maxed out every one of those traps.

Small white soapstone is one of the greatest things ever in Dark Souls and it's a shame it's never been seen since

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

kazil posted:

Small white soapstone is one of the greatest things ever in Dark Souls and it's a shame it's never been seen since

I really liked the bonfire ascetics they had, wish those would turn up again too.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is Stronghold: Warlords worth 8 dollars? The game seemed to be really divisive among Stronghold fans.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dark Souls 2 was the best souls game until its sequel, Elden Ring

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My favorite thing about Dark Souls 2 is how you can start with one of the best weapon for beating the hordes of generic armored dudes, the mace, and then if you have pre-ordered you get to start with an upgraded version of that weapon, the homunculus mace.

I found there to be little to no reason to switch from it unless you were fighting two or three enemy types that weren't armored dudes.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

My favorite thing about Dark Souls 2 is how you can start with one of the best weapon for beating the hordes of generic armored dudes, the mace, and then if you have pre-ordered you get to start with an upgraded version of that weapon, the homunculus mace.

I found there to be little to no reason to switch from it unless you were fighting two or three enemy types that weren't armored dudes.
I honestly find the game a lot more fun without abusing strike damage. Discovering the mace early on just discourages experimenting with all the weird weapons Dark Souls 2 has.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
There's absolutely a better weapon than the mace: TWO maces power-stanced

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I honestly find the game a lot more fun without abusing strike damage. Discovering the mace early on just discourages experimenting with all the weird weapons Dark Souls 2 has.

I imagine that it is. The developers should've considered that.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jack Trades posted:

as someone who played dark souls remastered start to finish with just a mace last year - drat

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

hold up, you're telling me that a souls game gives you a viable weapon at the start?? holy poo poo no way

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
all the best souls bosses minus sister friede and sinh the sleepy dragon are big armoured dudes. artorius, smelter demon, fume knight, sir alonne, champion gundyr, slave knight gael, etc. etc.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Blattdorf posted:

Consider wiping your wishlist before the sale ends. Either buy it now while it's cheap or just remove it. If it's good, it'll eventually make its way back onto the wishlist.

Steam discounts aren't deep enough for this to be true any more. I'm not made of money.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Personally, I basically only use my wishlist to keep track of when interesting early access games actually come out.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Jack Trades posted:

Dark Souls 2 was so bad it made me stop playing soulslikes.

I hope you like fighting dudes in armor because that's like 90% of the enemy roster.

absolute skill issue for sure. biggest tell ever frankly lol

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Wishlists are for looking at and maybe reordering. If you're feeling cute during a sale you can sort by discount for a while.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Personally, I basically only use my wishlist to keep track of when interesting early access games actually come out.

I’ve seen devs complain about the wishlist because they track how many people wishlist their games and don’t understand why those don’t convert into sales. For me it’s just a holding pen for things I might be interested in if they go on sale.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Only 65% off? I'll leave it on my wishlist for when it's 75% off next sale

*repeat for years*

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’ve seen devs complain about the wishlist because they track how many people wishlist their games and don’t understand why those don’t convert into sales. For me it’s just a holding pen for things I might be interested in if they go on sale.

"Hmm... Maybe if we offer a 10% off sale that would help."

It doesn't.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

kazil posted:

Only 65% off? I'll leave it on my wishlist for when it's 75% off next sale

*repeat for years*

I only buy games when I am going to immediately play them after installing. I already have a game that I want to play up next (death stranding) so I won't buy anything off my wishlist regardless of discount until I'm 90% done with it. Then maybe I'll look though the list and pick something.

You should do this too, it's a great cure to steam-sale-itis where you buy 5 games at 75% off 'great prices' and then only play one of them, meaning you end up paying 125% per game played anyway

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

At this point by the time a game actually hits a discount I'd consider buying it it turned out I didn't really care about it that much anyway

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does anyone know if you can add EA app games to Steam? Adding the game exe will launch the game, but without the overlay.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

RBA Starblade posted:

At this point by the time a game actually hits a discount I'd consider buying it it turned out I didn't really care about it that much anyway

Saaaaaaaame

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

If you then remove the game from your wishlist you console a significant portion of the dev’s soul

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

Does anyone know if you can add EA app games to Steam? Adding the game exe will launch the game, but without the overlay.

Adding the launcher works, but I’m not sure if you can do this on a per game basis (like you can with epic).

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Bad Seafood posted:

Sounds like a pass till I've got a better machine then.

Laptop gaming has its drawbacks.

DF's performance is still almost entirely single-threaded, unfortunately (the graphics are the only thing that can make use of a second core), so your per-core clock speed is likely to be the biggest bottleneck in running it and that bottleneck is going to be hit primarily based on two things: the size of your embark area (size of map you'll be playing on), and how many entities are active at any given time. You can play on a smaller map if need be, and can manually set the dwarf population cap in the settings if things are starting to chug. The free version is now at version parity with the Steam release, minus the fancy new sprites and music, so if you can wrap your head around that just enough to get a feel for how it's running the paid version should perform exactly the same.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I only buy games when I am going to immediately play them after installing. I already have a game that I want to play up next (death stranding) so I won't buy anything off my wishlist regardless of discount until I'm 90% done with it. Then maybe I'll look though the list and pick something.

You should do this too, it's a great cure to steam-sale-itis where you buy 5 games at 75% off 'great prices' and then only play one of them, meaning you end up paying 125% per game played anyway

That's the kind of behaviour I want to follow in 2023. I'm hoping to make a serious dent in my hobby spending because poo poo got out of control for a while. I think I'd much rather pay down another K or 2 off the mortgage rather than keep seeing my unplayed pile grow.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

RBA Starblade posted:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really loved DS1 and considered it my favorite game ever for a while but also every time I replay it I end up stopping earlier and earlier cause I hate everything after O&S except the DLC and final boss so much. DS2 has weak areas but also has so much content I find myself doing the majority of it every playthrough, and it's the only Dark Souls game that has punching weapons that don't suck rear end in the second half of the game so it's my favorite. I like Elden Ring more due to the world though.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I mean, congratulations to FROM for making a game that breaks their mold, but when my favorite things about their games are:
1) build variety
2) custom characters
3) the ability to mitigate difficulty with a large array of options

then I feel like Sekiro could probably have just gone ahead and included an easy mode or whatever, since it seems like the game is making a point of actively punishing me for dying. This dragonrot stuff is kind of bullshit. I dunno, I like Dark Soul's difficulty because it needs to account for a huge amount of differently styles of play, but Sekiro, as far as I can tell is just katanas and parries, and there's no real reason to make the game harder and punish you more for dying if there's zero way to mitigate it. I could be wrong as I'm pretty early on, but christ.

My 'haul' from this year's Steam Sales has been:

Elden Ring(amazing game. I'm waiting for my next job to start so I basically was able to just dump time into it, I'm already considering making a whole-rear end new character because I genuinely like the game enough to do everything again)
Sekiro

I was also gifted by friends and fiance:
God of War (This is almost a troll gift I think because I have mentioned I only made it to the Dark Elves section of the game on PS4, got fed up with the boring annoying combat and stopped playing, but my fiance is enjoying watching me play...for some reason. I think she likes the story stuff)
Kenshi (Been on my WL since launch)
Huntdown (Co-op)
Pentiment (After Disco Elysium I plan to hit this bitch up)
Fight Knight (I heard about the allegations which turned this into a 'well, whenever these get cleared up I'll rethink' and then someone just bought it for me so)

And I gifted a whole shitload of my friends Lunacid because YOU MUST PLAY LUNACID, PLEASE PLAY LUNACID and they all did. One of them liked Lunacid so much he bought King's Field IV from an Ebay reseller :rolleyes:

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 4, 2023

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sekiro's not a souls game.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

I love DS2 because it is the most Kings Fieldy Dark Souls game and I have yet to play ER but I am told it is similarly Kings Fieldy.

DS2 is weird as heck and certainly has some low points but the lack of cohesion is a strength, not a weakness. No, the world doesn't fit together in a meaningful way, but the whole thing feels like the perpetual dying fever dream of a dead civilization and that is cool. And, as mentioned, the DLC areas are exceptional. I would say the only thing that is certifiably negative about the game is that it's pretty ugly most of the time, especially when held up to DS3 which is still gorgeous.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

then I feel like Sekiro could probably have just gone ahead and included an easy mode or whatever, since it seems like the game is making a point of actively punishing me for dying. This dragonrot stuff is kind of bullshit. I dunno, I like Dark Soul's difficulty because it needs to account for a huge amount of differently styles of play, but Sekiro, as far as I can tell is just katanas and parries, and there's no real reason to make the game harder and punish you more for dying if there's zero way to mitigate it. I could be wrong as I'm pretty early on, but christ.

There's an easy mode mod:
https://www.nexusmods.com/sekiro/mods/355

My problem with Sekiro is that it's a 4 year old game that still retails for $59.99 ($29.99 with a DEEP DISCOUNT).

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
So here's a question that is likely to rile everybody up: I didn't ever play Doom 2016 but I always wanted to. But now because I can't ever remember to cancel Humble, I have Doom Eternal. Obviously I'm not asking about the story of a Doom game, but is there any particular reason I shouldn't play Eternal first?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cowcaster posted:

sekiro's not a souls game.

It's a good thing I didn't call it that, what I said was what I liked about FROM's games is their build variety and ability to mitigate difficulties using a variety of options. I beat all of the King's Field games too and they don't do the bullshit Sekiro does.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

There's an easy mode mod:
https://www.nexusmods.com/sekiro/mods/355

My problem with Sekiro is that it's a 4 year old game that still retails for $59.99 ($29.99 with a DEEP DISCOUNT).

Is there a reason Souls II and III aren't getting discounts this year?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

nah, only in the sense eternal adds a bunch of movement utility that will be missed if you ever go back and play the original

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Not really, the story doesn't really matter. You might also appreciate 2016 more if you go back to it after Eternal as it's a tighter experience.

Both games are good and worth playing.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I started playing dark souls 2 after going in completely blind and im enjoying it a lot so far hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

OzFactor posted:

I love DS2 because it is the most Kings Fieldy Dark Souls game and I have yet to play ER but I am told it is similarly Kings Fieldy.

DS2 is weird as heck and certainly has some low points but the lack of cohesion is a strength, not a weakness. No, the world doesn't fit together in a meaningful way, but the whole thing feels like the perpetual dying fever dream of a dead civilization and that is cool. And, as mentioned, the DLC areas are exceptional. I would say the only thing that is certifiably negative about the game is that it's pretty ugly most of the time, especially when held up to DS3 which is still gorgeous.

Disagree, ds2 has colors, ds3 has some v attractive areas (irithyll! Dragon monastery place!) but the palette is so muted and dull a lot of the time