Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
konasuba and grimgar cover basically every variation on this i would care to watch, basically. and i guess frieren is arguably in the same mold of generic adventure story, and that covers manga p much. im not a big fantasy head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Natural 20 posted:

God that sounds like it would actively be hilarious.

Someone who just immediately ends problems but ends up reviled because they take the fun out of everything having to learn to just chill the gently caress out.

Is Hot Fuzz an isekai.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yes

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It kind of does have the same plot structure lmao.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

konasuba and grimgar cover basically every variation on this i would care to watch, basically. and i guess frieren is arguably in the same mold of generic adventure story, and that covers manga p much. im not a big fantasy head.

Chaika was pretty charming, too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you start making jokes about every fish out of water story being an isekai i swear to god

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

We need to take isekai jokes away from you people for your own good

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Chaika was pretty charming, too.

Chaika has consistently excellent fights

It also isn't an isekai though

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Colonel posted:

if you start making jokes about every fish out of water story being an isekai i swear to god

Elf is an isekai

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Where’s the ik at

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dead

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I liked bofuri even though it uses the common isekai trope of having an insane over powered protagonist, its a fantasy adventure series only because the MMO uses a fantasy setting. It has 0 stakes, just idiots having fun. Also Maple's power being gained because she plays in a very unconventional way that broke the games logic under her knee feels more earned than any isekai protagonist stumbling into godlike power

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I liked bofuri even though it uses the common isekai trope of having an insane over powered protagonist, its a fantasy adventure series only because the MMO uses a fantasy setting. It has 0 stakes, just idiots having fun. Also Maple's power being gained because she plays in a very unconventional way that broke the games logic under her knee feels more earned than any isekai protagonist stumbling into godlike power

Yeah, Bofuri being exclusively about dorks having fun in a buggy-but-entertaining MMO is very important. It wouldn't be nearly as entertaining if 'Maple effortlessly wins at everything' was connected to actual conflict with stakes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

We need to take isekai jokes away from you people for your own good

You'll take isekai jokes away from my cold, dead hands.

And then I'll be reincarnated as a comedian in a fantasy world where nobody gets my references.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wish these isekai jokes would be sent to another world

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

You'll take isekai jokes away from my cold, dead hands.

And then I'll be reincarnated as a comedian in a fantasy world where nobody gets my references.
you arent funny in this world either

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bofuri actually has some stakes with the Guild competition and events. Low key stakes but they are there. It also helps that Maple is shown to have some weaknesses (she moves slow for example) and the other characters get moments to shine. And her guild didn't win the big guild event due to its size which makes sense

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

you arent funny in this world either

True.

I'm hilarious.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Arist posted:

Wish these isekai jokes would be sent to another world

They're the real for the horror tag.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
people keep equivocating mmo and isekai and i do not think that is in fact actually the case at all. an mmo gives you an actual excuse to make video game jokes and the jokes can be funny sometimes, or make it easier to balance violent action scenes with a more lighthearted slice of life tone. there's shared aspects, like giving you a way to explore a character's personal identity and how they feel about the difference between their real world appearance and new, "other world" appearance, but notably the latter comes up a lot more in mmo stories than it really does in isekai, though honestly that might just be because there are way more isekai stories than there are mmo ones and a lot of the recent glut of isekai are written without really considering interesting ways you could utilize the premise, they're just wish fulfillment plots hopping on a popular framing device. still, even sao does a bit of that. maybe most important is that an mmo setting explicitly means the characters still exist in the real world in-setting and the two worlds are by necessity constantly interacting, even something like .hack that chooses to show a much more limited view of the real world will write characters heavily around their issues in the real world that they can't get away from. this varies much harder with isekai, and most opt for detaching the setting from the real world entirely

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Buddy Daddies

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Buddy Daddies

i so far have more than once accidentally and inexplicably read it as Buddy Duddies

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

symbolic posted:

i so far have more than once accidentally and inexplicably read it as Buddy Duddies
the hatsune miku gacha game has an event named 'funny buddy spend time' and its hosed up they changed this in the official translation

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Endorph posted:

the hatsune miku gacha game has an event named 'funny buddy spend time' and its hosed up they changed this in the official translation

lol why though that rules

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

copy posted:

lol why though that rules

thats what im saying, theyre cowards

copy
Jul 26, 2007

just doin a little frown rn

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Watched some new things this morning:

The Ice Guy and his Cool Female Colleague: New guy at work is a descendent of a yuki-onna and makes snow appear around him when he's emotional, and he meets up with a girl who has a "cool" (flat, I guess?) personality. This was cute and not terrible looking, but the jokes were kind of one-note and the writing was kind of straightforward/boring. I can imagine a world where this progresses somewhere past jokes revolving around the ridiculous premise but it was pretty mediocre. Might give it another episode.

Tsurune - The Linking Shot: Guys shoot bows. I had no idea until I watched this that it was a season 2. Based on what I saw I think you could pick it up here. Was nicely animated but I wasn't really feeling the interpersonal interactions at all and it didn't go super deep into Japanese archery like I was hoping for. It's fine, probably dropping it.

Tomo-chan Is a Girl!: Tomo has been friend-zoned by a guy cause she's a tomboy. There's a lot of really weird gender role/identity humor here that's probably problematic, but it was fun in spite of itself and I was still having a great time. Tomo's voice actor is giving such an energetic performance that it adds a ton to the character and the show. I think it's not entirely unlikely they step into some poo poo that rubs me the wrong way, but I had fun with this and am going to keep watching.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The reactions to the original Tsurune were pretty funny because it was less about the show and more the slow realization that archery as a sport fuckin blows

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

mycot posted:

The reactions to the original Tsurune were pretty funny because it was less about the show and more the slow realization that archery as a sport fuckin blows

I love chill, outdoorsy sports like fishing so I think learning about kyudo would be up my alley, and there's a way to show off the zen vibes of archery in the way that Laid-Back Camp does camping. Wasn't getting that here.

Were people just complaining that it's boring or are there other things about the sport that suck?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Southern Cassowary posted:

I love chill, outdoorsy sports like fishing so I think learning about kyudo would be up my alley, and there's a way to show off the zen vibes of archery in the way that Laid-Back Camp does camping. Wasn't getting that here.

Were people just complaining that it's boring or are there other things about the sport that suck?

I think most Sports Anime fans care about the team dynamics, teammate drama, and inter and inner team rivalrys and a competitive archery show just doesn't have any of those. I guess you're right that maybe it's more of a slice of life premise than a sports one though

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

mycot posted:

I think most Sports Anime fans care about the team dynamics, teammate drama, and inter and inner team rivalrys and a competitive archery show just doesn't have any of those. I guess you're right that maybe it's more of a slice of life premise than a sports one though

That makes sense - golf would have the same issue, which is probably why Sunrise made Birdie Wing as ridiculous as it did.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 4, 2023

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Tsurune has enough going on drama-wise, but I would say the rivalry and competition aspects aren't done as well, and that's the climax the first season builds to.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Watched first ep of Magical Revolution, seems pretty decent, year of yuri off to a good start.

...is there a commonly accepted contraction of the title lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Magirevo i think

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I was fine with Tsurune, but I was in a shooting sport club in college. I actually would have done archery instead of pistol if it wasn't for the godawful practice times never working with my schedule. I did drop Rifle Is Beautiful after like 5 episodes though.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I never bought how their team of mostly newbies in Tsurune could end up winning the tournament, and it seems like the writers didn't either, because they only won by having one guy on the top rival team suddenly develop a hand injury on the day of the competition that was never hinted at before.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Sakurazuka posted:

Watched first ep of Magical Revolution, seems pretty decent, year of yuri off to a good start.

...is there a commonly accepted contraction of the title lol

It's really well animated.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
It's organized a bit weird (The opening is... completely new I think?), but it gets on track around the halfway mark of the episode.

I guess it was to have a action-y opening? And ending, for that matter.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 4, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Supremezero posted:

It's organized a bit weird (The opening is... completely new I think?), but it gets on track around the halfway mark of the episode.

I guess it was to have a action-y opening? And ending, for that matter.

Yeah the Manga/LN start pretty much in the last ~5 minutes of the episode. The ~15 minutes before that are anime origional but establish the setting and some characters that would have been introduced later.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

mycot posted:

As someone who used to do archery you're not entirely wrong that it's a bit boring as a sports show focus. I just stuck around for the pretty art. Might check out s2 now that I know that it's out.