Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ROFL Octopus posted:

Well that and Akechi being a villain is misdirection for the fact that the real twist is that everyone knows he’s the villain and is ready to clown on him.

It's ironic that Akechi put all his energies into selling his made up personality only for Joker and Shido - the two people who he absolutely needed to buy into it for his plan to succeed - to see through it immediately unbeknownst to him. Like even in the bad end where Akechi's plan goes off without a hitch and Joker dies, Shido (presumably) has him quietly assassinated after his election before Akechi can even spring his planned trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Getting pretty frustrated with the Okumura fight. My party members aren't really able to keep these baton passes going and I'm missing some of the buff removal skills that would make the fight easier. Specifically wave 5 just feels impossible right now. My save is in the dungeon after sending the calling card so it's not like I can go do the confessional that I only just found out about to get skills I dropped or go buy more items. It wouldn't be so bad if reloading the save didn't mean having to run all the way to the boss fight again and skipping all the dialogue every time.

Actually that reminds me, if I choose to reload a fight do I get the items back I used or do I have to quit and reload to get that stuff back? I've always assumed the latter to be safe but it'd be good to know if I didn't have to.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

explosivo posted:

Getting pretty frustrated with the Okumura fight. My party members aren't really able to keep these baton passes going and I'm missing some of the buff removal skills that would make the fight easier. Specifically wave 5 just feels impossible right now. My save is in the dungeon after sending the calling card so it's not like I can go do the confessional that I only just found out about to get skills I dropped or go buy more items. It wouldn't be so bad if reloading the save didn't mean having to run all the way to the boss fight again and skipping all the dialogue every time.

Actually that reminds me, if I choose to reload a fight do I get the items back I used or do I have to quit and reload to get that stuff back? I've always assumed the latter to be safe but it'd be good to know if I didn't have to.

Switch to Merciless

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gaius Marius posted:

Switch to Merciless

Oh I didn't know that I could on the fly like that. I've read about merciless, I'll give that a try!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

If you have any psy or curse items on hand, use those as well. if you can get to baton pass level 3 with Haru (or Joker if Joker has mass Curse or Psy damage) through Item use by the other party members, you should be good to go.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Fair point; yeah, that's on me.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Well that and Akechi being a villain is misdirection for the fact that the real twist is that everyone knows he’s the villain and is ready to clown on him.

This.

Although I still think Royal made a mistake making him show his true colors to Joker during his Confidant scenes. Feels more natural in the base game.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Given the many changes of plan that occurred during developments, I wonder how much Akechi's characterization evolved too. Even compared to the rest of the story his great plan feels weirdly tacked on - almost like he was supposed to be a more straightforward hitman before they hastily decided to come up with something more complex.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's cut content that suggests that at some point akechi had his own palace - as in a full dungeon and everything. i imagine a lot of what went down there had to be crammed into a couple of cutscenes.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Arist posted:

It's answered pretty definitively by the game itself. They're sending Akechi to Sae's Palace, which they intentionally never collapsed. Futaba didn't have to stipulate a destination because hacking plus Meta-Nav. Also, they know there's a Metaverse Joker in the interrogation room because they know Sae just saw the real Joker there, which created him.

The hacking stuff actually kind of makes sense here imo. Futaba mentions that she's unable to compromise the magical phone app, but there's nothing stopping her from making a program to click buttons in the metaverse app. They also already had established earlier that once a palace is identified a navigation bookmark gets saved that they can just click, so shockingly it actually does all check out :v:

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

anakha posted:

If you have any psy or curse items on hand, use those as well. if you can get to baton pass level 3 with Haru (or Joker if Joker has mass Curse or Psy damage) through Item use by the other party members, you should be good to go.

I think you can also electric chair some low level persona to get psy rings, so your non MC/Haru characters can consistently set up the baton pass.

Makato learns -buffs too.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Petiso posted:

This.

Although I still think Royal made a mistake making him show his true colors to Joker during his Confidant scenes. Feels more natural in the base game.

I disagree - developing the personal rivalry with Joker is central to Akechi's characterization in Royal and is one of the cornerstones of Third Semester. In comparison, the rank-up events in Vanilla lack that slow reveal of Akechi's inner motivations and that ends up making him a more two-dimensional figure.

And as mentioned earlier, most players paying a little attention would have already been suspicious of Akechi from June onwards. His Rank 8 event seems like it's spoiling the surprise if you look at it on the surface level, but if you already suspect him from before, the event becomes more of a first look into his real personality, which is then presented in full force by Third Sem.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Okay I switched around my party and changed the difficulty to Merciless and was able to beat the 5th wave but still flamed out trying to take out the big guy with no weaknesses. I can make some improvements w/r/t who is switched out for that phase of the fight so I'm more confident that another attempt I might be able to beat him. That said, I also realized that when failing a fight there's an option to revert to the previous day so I'm not quite as locked in as I initially thought if I did decide to back out and come back in a bit more prepped.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

anakha posted:

I disagree - developing the personal rivalry with Joker is central to Akechi's characterization in Royal and is one of the cornerstones of Third Semester. In comparison, the rank-up events in Vanilla lack that slow reveal of Akechi's inner motivations and that ends up making him a more two-dimensional figure.

And as mentioned earlier, most players paying a little attention would have already been suspicious of Akechi from June onwards. His Rank 8 event seems like it's spoiling the surprise if you look at it on the surface level, but if you already suspect him from before, the event becomes more of a first look into his real personality, which is then presented in full force by Third Sem.

I 100% agree with this. Base game Akechi I hated but even before the 3rd semester the new confidant was doing a lot to make me like him as a character and everything around the duel sealed the deal.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Hunt11 posted:

I 100% agree with this. Base game Akechi I hated but even before the 3rd semester the new confidant was doing a lot to make me like him as a character and everything around the duel sealed the deal.

More major P5 spoiler discussion:

As a first time player, I thought he was just being set up--poorly--as a foil to Joker who might turn out to be a non-metaverse threat into maybe a metaverse threat. I didn't have any interest in him as any role until I got him to level 8--at which point I literally thought, "Wow, he might actually make for an interesting villain." That ironically threw the suspicion off of him for me--"nah, he wouldn't clearly show his hand like this."

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I got through the first dungeon and thought the boss battle theme was a jam so I looked it up on Youtube and the first result cover image was Akechi looking evil so I knew he was a villain even before he showed up in-game.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Smiling Knight posted:

I think you can also electric chair some low level persona to get psy rings, so your non MC/Haru characters can consistently set up the baton pass.

Makato learns -buffs too.

You want to itemize Kodama for Psi. You should have the other two rings you need; the Atom/Frei Ring you should have picked up on your first go into Madarame's palace and is almost necessary on Merciless. And I'm the Breeze/Garu ring was somewhere in the first palace.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

explosivo posted:

Okay I switched around my party and changed the difficulty to Merciless and was able to beat the 5th wave but still flamed out trying to take out the big guy with no weaknesses. I can make some improvements w/r/t who is switched out for that phase of the fight so I'm more confident that another attempt I might be able to beat him. That said, I also realized that when failing a fight there's an option to revert to the previous day so I'm not quite as locked in as I initially thought if I did decide to back out and come back in a bit more prepped.

I don't remember the fight super well but I had a ton of issues with this boss. I remember using items to keep my handoffs going though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I did it :toot:

:shepface:
This is how close I came to losing to the self destructing Harubot:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Bar none the hardest fight in the main game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

And was the big "twist" really that obvious to everyone else? I genuinely did not see it coming until his really convenient story at the start of Sae's palace and also breaking out the Hubert voice and admitting to having been a metaverse user for years in his rank 8 confidant. I really thought he was just a Pleasant Boy...

Is there any hint other than pancakes and his generally shady behavior? I totally missed the former until the game spelled it out for me, and I don't think the latter ever really broke through to me until it gets really obvious by like late October. I had a whole half-baked idea that the black mask was some evil version of Joker, and the whole "rehabilitation" nonsense and Morgana's amnesia would tie into that. Which I guess technically was the plot, but I hadn't pegged Akechi as the evil Joker. I am on my first replay and I still read their confidant events as Akechi finding his equal and being genuinely curious if he's capable of friendship and what that path could have been like.

I think it's pretty predictable with the new S-link content, particularly in the later S-links, since he's obviously being positioned as some sort of rival character. I totally didn't realize it myself when playing vanilla P5, though (even if in hindsight there weren't really any other plausible options).

I think it's really funny how the game makes a token effort to get you to suspect Makoto. Like it realized that it had to add some sort of misdirection, so added these suspicious-sounding comments from her.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Bar none the hardest fight in the main game.

It is the only non-optional boss fight in the entire game that actually requires you demonstrate mastery of the baton pass system, which is really bizarre given it's just kinda in the middle of the game and then goes away again forever.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Picked up Strikers during the winter sale and I must say Sophie is a treasure.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

mmkay posted:

Sophie is awesome. The music is banging.

I love that can play as Haru swinging an axe around in a tornado of death. What a great game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Sophie is so good it's almost unfair to all the other characters.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Both of the new party members in Strikers are fantastic. They're also way better integrated into the game than the new party member is into Royal, who gets shoved off into the very tail end of the game presumably because if she wasn't they'd have to redo the anime cutscenes to include her.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Picked up Royal off the Steam sale. Only played vanilla on PS3, and I remember how much I love this game.

I've heard people talk up Royal forever, so I'm interested in some of the minor changes that don't get talked up much. Stuff like Confidants having an extra phone call on the end so you can get some bonus points, or exploding shadows, or how recruiting a shadow you already have gives that persona bonus EXP. There's a bunch of neat stuff like that.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Sydin posted:

Both of the new party members in Strikers are fantastic. They're also way better integrated into the game than the new party member is into Royal, who gets shoved off into the very tail end of the game presumably because if she wasn't they'd have to redo the anime cutscenes to include her.

The “add a new character to Tales of Vesperia” method where Patty conveniently has to go do something just off-camera any time a cutscene is about to happen isn’t that great of an alternative, but it at least allows the character to be playable earlier.

Edit: Patty is a shortie pirate kid, so it would have been funnier if “off-camera” meant she was still there in the scene, but the camera was pointed above her head.

Boogaloo Shrimp fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 1, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mmkay posted:

In the Japanese dub she uses the various regional dialects when you're using the shop in those areas.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The two new party members in Strikers are so good, and for even as great as the returning P5 cast is written in Strikers, the newcomers a step above, showcasing a deal more complexity and maturity in their characterizations and awakenings.

The english dub cast absolutely kills it, too, and EMMA's voice actress, Susan Bennett who you might better know as the voice of Apple's Siri, is particularly inspired casting.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ytlaya posted:

In the Japanese dub she uses the various regional dialects when you're using the shop in those areas.
That's good, but considering the English VA uses stock phrases from the Alexa app on Echo devices and absolutely nails the exact cadence and inflection, who can say what's better.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don’t have the [guts] to check, but in my heart I believe that every single instance of “Okay, I've got it!” is a unique recording.

E: Also it's not like anyone doesn't see it coming, but it's technically a spoiler that Strikers has two new party members. Which I'm mostly just putting here so I can nest the bigger spoiler, which is that there's two persona awakenings. That one I wasn't expecting and I would have been sad to have been spoiled on that!

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 2, 2023

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Picked up Strikers after spending the past month finishing Royal. Musou combat is not my bag at all, everything's so busy and I have no idea what's going on in any fight so I guess I'll play on easy mode and just enjoy the plot.

I'm interested in the fact the first palace ruler is able to pull people's shadows into her palace to absorb their desires, since the guys you had to get recommendations for progressing in Shido's palace were actual shadows and not cognitions as well so I'm curious if there's a link with his cognitive psience division that could still be running around even after he confessed to all his crimes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Strikers is the most competently-designed Musou-like I have played; you actually have to pay attention to what you're doing and use all the tools available to you and can't get by with just button-mashing and spamming big attacks.

yeah i turned that sucker down to easy and just stayed for the plot, worth it

I think the guys in Shido's palace were cognitions fused with generic shadows as an anti-Phantom-Thief measure, not the actual shadows of his cronies. The game kind of glosses over this point, but I think at least the TV director is shown to be around and suppressing footage of your and Shido's activities after the calling card.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Game's about managing your SP and elemental weaknesses. Yeah its chaotic, but don't be afraid to just pop up your persona menu just to pause and get a look at your surroundings.

And also yeah, no shame in turning it down to easy. It's quite a whiplash for people not used to musou games. Hope you enjoy the Phantom Thieves Awesome Vacation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

whenever people post stuff like that i dont get what people got out of strikers at all.it feels like we played different games. every fight in strikers was over so quickly i didnt have time to do anything other than do a couple skills and like two combos.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

The best part about Merciless is that the fights are long enough to enjoy the songs

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Endorph posted:

whenever people post stuff like that i dont get what people got out of strikers at all.it feels like we played different games. every fight in strikers was over so quickly i didnt have time to do anything other than do a couple skills and like two combos.

Regular fights are fine and fast, but the boss-type ones got me. Your characters go down in like four hits and I'm not hardcore enough to consistently dodge, but too hardcore to conserve SP for healing. I muddled through the first major boss fight, after having used all my healing items and still lost all my party members, by just running in circles as Joker and spamming the gun-gungungun combo for like ten minutes.

I might have been underleveled, but I am even more averse to grinding than I am to getting good.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Regular fights are fine and fast, but the boss-type ones got me. Your characters go down in like four hits and I'm not hardcore enough to consistently dodge, but too hardcore to conserve SP for healing. I muddled through the first major boss fight, after having used all my healing items and still lost all my party members, by just running in circles as Joker and spamming the gun-gungungun combo for like ten minutes.

I might have been underleveled, but I am even more averse to grinding than I am to getting good.

It's basically this yeah, like I did the intro fight fine and got through the waterway under the palace where you meet Sophie with a bit of trouble against the bicorn, but once the game opens up and status effects start getting thrown around it all happens so quick and confusingly I don't really get what's going on or how to respond.

When I was playing Royal I heard the 'any time now' barks a lot from deliberating my moves, I'm just not good with the pace and the level of visual clutter going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Just a piece of general information in case you didn't know: After the tutorial dungeon, you can leave the metaverse any time you want with no consequences whatsoever (except the enemies respawning of course). Made the game so much easier when I found out.