Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Very disgusted with myself that I'm about to do this but..... the 'You're Making Me a Nazi' comic but with car-centric civil planning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DaysBefore posted:

The fact that it's illegal to build cities the way they were built sixty years ago has a lot to do with how little we're doing to rebuild our hosed up cities. Also all the streetcars are dead :(.

I just had a streetcar roll past my office window

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
So in other, not directly car related news, There's a gigantic funeral procession going through Barrie today for an OPP officer who was killed in the line of duty. I feel at least a little ghoulish saying this, given that the death of a 28 year old man is tragic under any circumstance, but this seems to be a little much? Especially given the fact that a bunch of officers are using this as a springboard to call for harsher legislation relating to bail decisions? It also just feels kind of weird that almost the entire OPP is participating in a funeral procession rather than, you know, doing their jobs?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

infernal machines posted:

I just had a streetcar roll past my office window

Committee findings show that Toronto isn't real, sorry

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pleads posted:

I really enjoy my work trips to Toronto where I get to live an entirely car-free life for a few days because the hotels and offices are right on the subway line and there's ample shopping within a short walk of where I'm staying.

I could in no way afford it as a real life thing and it's a super niche situation even within the GTA because otherwise you're at the mercy of busses and traffic and sprawl, but it's a nice little fantasy to live out now and then.

Death to cars (I do wonder how I'd get to hockey, but I don't think that should be worth thousands of lives each year)

It's absolutely not a super niche situation. 28% of Toronto households don't own a car (2018). 18% of Canadians don't own a car. That's not the same as never driving, but car sharing would also work for a lot more people (though take that last link with a grain of salt because it's a survey from a car sharing service).

As for hockey, I bussed my rear end to the rink on two continents and you can also go whole hog like so:

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

One thing I think would be beneficial with less car ownership is (paradoxically) to make it easier to learn how to drive and practice driving without owning your own vehicle. There are so many jobs where driving is actually necessary (medical transports, every single trade that does on site work, the transportation industry in general) that I'd worry about locking significant numbers of people out from those jobs if car usage declines and becomes something only more well off people do.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Solenna posted:

One thing I think would be beneficial with less car ownership is (paradoxically) to make it easier to learn how to drive and practice driving without owning your own vehicle. There are so many jobs where driving is actually necessary (medical transports, every single trade that does on site work, the transportation industry in general) that I'd worry about locking significant numbers of people out from those jobs if car usage declines and becomes something only more well off people do.

That's not going to happen. You'll get a bunch of businesses similar to flight schools that have a fleet of usable vehicles for training purposes.

See: Humber Colleges' truck driving program which coincidentally is one of many truck driving schools where graduates can expect to have companies looking to hire them right at the ceremony.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DaysBefore posted:

Committee findings show that Toronto isn't real, sorry

Thank god, maybe this fever dream will pass one day

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Kraftwerk posted:

That's not going to happen. You'll get a bunch of businesses similar to flight schools that have a fleet of usable vehicles for training purposes.

See: Humber Colleges' truck driving program which coincidentally is one of many truck driving schools where graduates can expect to have companies looking to hire them right at the ceremony.
That makes a ton of sense, yeah.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Bleck posted:

Those people aren't real, op.

Turns out, they are real, sorry to burst your bubble!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

eXXon posted:

It's absolutely not a super niche situation. 28% of Toronto households don't own a car (2018). 18% of Canadians don't own a car. That's not the same as never driving, but car sharing would also work for a lot more people (though take that last link with a grain of salt because it's a survey from a car sharing service).

As for hockey, I bussed my rear end to the rink on two continents and you can also go whole hog like so:

The second link is an ad for an airBNB for cars situation and the wording is absolutely hilarious.

quote:

The report reveals that while 83 per cent of Canadians own or lease a vehicle, their cars sit idle 95 per cent of the year. That means on average, Canadian car owners are behind the wheel for just 400.6 hours per year.

Only spending 400 hours a year in your car, how wasteful! If 22 people shared a car, they could keep the car operational 100% of the time.

Kraftwerk posted:

You're pretty much guaranteed a driving job straight out of any truck driving school that gets you licensed because the entire trucking industry business model is built around abusing the living poo poo out of drivers until they quit.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

PT6A posted:

How many car-free folks do you suppose are so car-free that they don't, you know, outsource car ownership and driving to SkipTheDishes and Uber and things like that? I'm honestly curious how many people life a lifestyle that's not only car-free for them, but does not involve private motor-vehicle use at all.

When I was living in the Plateau or Downtown Montreal, I never used food delivery. Why would I pay the uber eats premium when all the food I want is less than 10 minutes walk away?

I very much lived car free for a while, ama.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NZAmoeba posted:

When I was living in the Plateau or Downtown Montreal, I never used food delivery. Why would I pay the uber eats premium when all the food I want is less than 10 minutes walk away?

I very much lived car free for a while, ama.

Do you live car free now, and if not why not.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Honestly I'm just going to echo the sentiment that we can approach a reduction in personal car ownership by changing up how we approach zoning and infrastructure in cities. I think if our population centers weren't so spread out and we did more to integrate our residential and commercial districts it would cut down on a lot of traffic and, by extension, emissions while still making personal car ownership a viable thing.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

KingKalamari posted:

Honestly I'm just going to echo the sentiment that we can approach a reduction in personal car ownership by changing up how we approach zoning and infrastructure in cities. I think if our population centers weren't so spread out and we did more to integrate our residential and commercial districts it would cut down on a lot of traffic and, by extension, emissions while still making personal car ownership a viable thing.

No it's much better to shame people individually instead of taking a systematic approach to social problems

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Powershift posted:

You're pretty much guaranteed a driving job straight out of any truck driving school that gets you licensed because the entire trucking industry business model is built around abusing the living poo poo out of drivers until they quit.

I know. My current job requires me to deal with trucking companies on a regular basis and it has been extremely stressful because so much of our customer success depends on trucks arriving just in time. I wish I could just pick up the phone and tell people "your lack of planning is not my emergency" but that results in management reprimanding me. At a B2B level everyone wants products at their loading dock whenever they drat well please on a 24 hour turnaround time and that isn't possible in the present day.

You used to be able to turn around a tank truck from a terminal in Illinois to Winnipeg or Toronto over just 1 week. Now it takes 30+ days to do and there's no guarantee the truck will show up the day it was scheduled to pick up. Dispatching trucks is a nightmare. Most of the good drivers who used to do cross border driving are now hauling safer materials on short run routes on behalf of Amazon and Walmart and are making 100k+ doing it. We still have a "Drivers Inc" problem in Canada where immigrants of predominantly Sikh descent drive the trucks and their employers engage in wage theft and scams to deprive them of their earnings so it's still not sunshine and rainbows for truckers.

It's funny how a lot of computer touchers get paid 6 figure sums to sit on their asses at home while the people doing the actual work that sustains modern society get abused, paid poo poo money and generally have minimal protection and appreciation for their jobs. These people risked their lives and had a role in the massive corporate profits we saw during the pandemic and none of them have seen even a fraction of the sums of money they helped their companies earn.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Powershift posted:

Do you live car free now, and if not why not.

I don't, sadly. Got married and the wife is still very much a "car first" thinker, and I failed to convince her otherwise. I still live a 5 minute walk away from a supermarket, but we only treat it like a well stocked corner store. The majority of our shopping is at a Costco and an asian supermarket that are only drivable.

Plus it's a multi-generational house now, there's not exactly a lot of apartments or townhouses that can accomodate that. We're still in NDG, so it's not like we're in distant suburbia, the place definitely feels like it used to be a streetcar suburb at some point?

I miss the metro.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

Kraftwerk posted:

It's funny how a lot of computer touchers get paid 6 figure sums to sit on their asses at home while the people doing the actual work that sustains modern society get abused, paid poo poo money and generally have minimal protection and appreciation for their jobs. These people risked their lives and had a role in the massive corporate profits we saw during the pandemic and none of them have seen even a fraction of the sums of money they helped their companies earn.

The more indispensable the job is to the functioning of society, the less well it compensates. Economic principle of the modern age.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Construction generally pays well. Thought with the attitudes of most Brothers about politics and unions, that'll probably be gone soon enough.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

LiUNA remains strong

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

After watching season 2 of The Wire I figured I'd look up the Halifax longshoreman's union to see what they're saying and their most recent tweets were complaining about COVID restrictions and before that they were complaining about the Wet'suwet'en rail blockade from a few years back, including a retweet from Peter McKay that called them thugs (!). That was disappointing.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

TrueChaos posted:

Turns out, they are real, sorry to burst your bubble!

There comes a point in The Information Age when it no longer becomes politically reasonable or feasible to constantly assume that the people who remain ignorant of suffering and exploitation are doing so because they simply haven't been "reached" yet. Every piece of information about any single thing that negatively affects society is in their reach at all times via a device that they walk around with every day.

The problem isn't ignorance. These people don't care. The idea that the solution to the puzzle is a special combination of words and polite tones that we just haven't managed to figure out yet is juvenile.

Kraftwerk posted:

It's funny how a lot of computer touchers get paid 6 figure sums to sit on their asses at home while the people doing the actual work

Ah, yes, convincing slogans,

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I don't think that's completely true, the problem is what information is reaching them, and how. Algorithms and social media and of course the regular traditional media all filter and prioritize different kinds of information. Think of it this way, if I want to do research on an obscure topic the internet is only going to give me the tiny smallest surface level information that happened to be digitized; it is only when I go into a library that I can get more information, useful information that pertains to me.

There is a lot of information people get because its easy to get, which forms a feedback cycle as you trim your intake and algorithms learn it to further feed more of the same.

Without a sustained, specific interest and commitment to look into opposing views, people despite having "access" to all of the infinite information of the entire world and all of history will only ever get the most narrow and smallest molecular amount of it and only what's adjacent to it at any given time.

It is extraordinarily difficult I think, for most people to have the requisite amount of worldly interests and curiosity to keep their information diet varied and healthy; you'll mostly just gradually curate things so only information that reinforces existing structures reaches you.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I like how Ottawa had a mayoral candidate who had a mild platform of improving the alternatives to cars - better transit and more bike lanes, and STILL their opponent turned it into "Rah Rah War on Cars" despite also campaigning on improving public transit.

It doesn't matter if you say "we need more protected bike lanes," or attempt to explain how widening the highway will just create induced demand, people will just hear "this will make my life as a driver at least 1% more inconvenient" or "this does not improve -my- life" and hate it. It's pretty much like taxes.

Kraftwerk posted:

bro, most computer touchers are not making 6 figures and didn't see much of a windfall from the pandemic either. Largely computer toucher jobs are also in fields that are currently allergic to unions, and suffer plenty of abuse and overwork too. Not saying the pandemic wasn't far easier for anyone who could work remotely. Weren't you going on about how "death to cars" is a lovely slogan because it alienates others and loses sympathy?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 5, 2023

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

DaysBefore posted:

After watching season 2 of The Wire I figured I'd look up the Halifax longshoreman's union to see what they're saying and their most recent tweets were complaining about COVID restrictions and before that they were complaining about the Wet'suwet'en rail blockade from a few years back, including a retweet from Peter McKay that called them thugs (!). That was disappointing.

much like there are anti-vax nurses, I am not at all surprised that the checkers union was unhappy with the blockades. I'll bet if we did some digging or brought it up at the bar they would have some choice words to say about the Mi'kmaq and their fishing rights too

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

bro, most computer touchers are not making 6 figures and didn't see much of a windfall from the pandemic either. Largely computer toucher jobs are also in fields that are currently allergic to unions, and suffer plenty of abuse and overwork too.

Elon Musk demanding that coders be "hardcore" and expecting them to sleep at work during crunch times (which happen often) is also not abnormal at all and if you're in a WFH situation that just means that you're expected to be on the clock all day at home, which is another kind of hell.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
no work is real

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Oxyclean posted:

I like how Ottawa had a mayoral candidate who had a mild platform of improving the alternatives to cars - better transit and more bike lanes, and STILL their opponent turned it into "Rah Rah War on Cars" despite also campaigning on improving public transit.

He also wants to build a giant new cop station in the market which excites the suburban voters who only go there once a year and find the experience terrifying because of all the minorities.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Panderfringe posted:

He also wants to build a giant new cop station in the market which excites the suburban voters who only go there once a year and find the experience terrifying because of all the minorities.

He also wanted to defund the Tulip Festival and Gay pride for uh...austerity reasons?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

It’s funny how we only have to worry about leftist slogans being too polarizing. The same liberals who get pushed to the right by “defund the police” don’t seem to have the same reaction to right wing sloganeering. They don’t get radicalized into supporting full state ownership when they hear “all taxation is theft” or start burning American flags when they see a maga hat. I wonder why??

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Time for some attention to small town politics.

The Ottawa Valley is back in the news. That darn news media keeps reporting every time the white folks who run the local governments tell equity seeking groups that, actually, racism is now over.

Pembroke is a small town, about 14,000 people, but is a regional centre so it's bigger than its population might suggest. It had some rough years but has been on the upswing lately, with the downtown core starting to revitalize. And its town Council had an equity committee, which was fortunate because Pembroke has been home to a number of high profile racist incidents in the past few years: like a hate attack on an 80-year-old woman of Vietnamese descent and a local retailer running a "White Friday" sale, not because of racism but because of Trudeau and the persecution of Don Cherry or something

Unfortunately, Pembroke has decided to follow Arnprior's (another Ottawa Valley town's) lead and declare racism is over. For those who don't recall, in 2021 the then Mayor or Arnprior, Walter Stack, published a pamphlet denying the existence of systemic racism in response to a detailed investigative report by the CBC which documented with great detail a history of racist incidents in the Ottawa Valley (including Arnprior and Pembroke). Following Mayor Stack's letter, the Arnprior integrity commissioner found the mayor had broke the town's code of conduct. However the integrity commissioner's report had a bizarre focus on the conduct of Councillor Lisa McGee (not the subject of the report and someone who had been cleared of any breach separately). The commissioner's view was that Ms. McGee's criticism of the mayor for publishing an, at best, profoundly ignorant letter on systemic racism, is much worse than the publishing of the letter. This might be correct from a rules of conduct point of view, but excusing someone for bad conduct because someone pointed out that bad conduct looks real shabby. Also, Lisa McGee is now the mayor of Arnprior, so good voters.

With that history, we can now look to the recent actions of the Mayor of Pembroke, Ron Gervais, whose picture does not clearly demonstrate he would innately understand the experiences of equity seeking groups:

Back in November, Mayor Gervais unilaterally disbanded Pembroke's equity committee. He then brought a motion to have the town council endorse his decision. This decision has now been confirmed by the town council. Mayor Gervais explained the committee wasn't needed anymore. He pointed to Pembroke having created an Indigenous mural, that it had started doing land acknowledgements and that the local library being shortlisted for (but not winning) an equity award. In his words, "Is this not a testament to the commitment by our city? My Expectation is that inclusion, equity and diversity are part of the fabric of the city of Pembroke, in the DNA if you will"."

So, with the equity committee in place, the town made a series of positive steps. Mayor Gervais thinks Pembroke has had enough of that and put an end to it.

There are some absolute gems from the councillors who voted to support the Mayor's action. Councillor Jacyno's comments are spectacular. He claims that he is "not a stranger to racism". For the record, Councillor Jacyno was born in Canada and this is what he looks like:

Councillor Jacyno explained that his parents were immigrants from somewhere (he won't say where) where they were kept in a slave labour camp. And someone victimized him over this. This seems entirely plausible. There is a long history of Canadians treating other white skinned peoples as undesirable minorities. It's mostly in the past and regrettably, this has led to Councillor Jacyno's view on dealing with racism being, "Why do we have to continue to focus on something that's happened in the past?" and "If you continue to talk about it, you're always going to have it." So, a flat out, the reason we have racism is because because of the efforts of people trying to address racism.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 5, 2023

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I think the closest I've been to the Valley is a plant and landscaping store that was somewhere around Carp.

We made the right decision.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Thats where all those antivax church cultists were clustered around iirc

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
You're thinking of Barry's Bay, which is in the Madawaska Valley. Sort of nearby though.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Cheryl Gallant is Pembroke

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

As someone who spent a lot of time in Douglas as a youth, that is the least shocking thing I've ever heard about the Ottawa Valley.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Oxyclean posted:

It doesn't matter if you say "we need more protected bike lanes," or attempt to explain how widening the highway will just create induced demand, people will just hear "this will make my life as a driver at least 1% more inconvenient" or "this does not improve -my- life" and hate it. It's pretty much like taxes.

As someone who does active transportation planning as a job, I can confirm you are correct. There are many people in public consultations who will freely admit they are categorically opposed to anything that takes away space for cars and any broader benefits of the project are irrelevant to them.

Also has there been any quantification of the degree to which McKenney’s loss was due to transphobia? Anecdotally it seemed to be a vote motivator. Would a cis white dude with an identical platform to McKenney have beaten Sutcliffe?

Shofixti fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 6, 2023

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

No, McKenneys positives seemed to heavily outweigh their negatives, just turns out that giving outsized electoral power to the suburbs in one of the smuggest most centrist Lib cities in Canada sucks rear end

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Shofixti posted:

As someone who does active transportation planning as a job, I can confirm you are correct. There are many people in public consultations who will freely admit they are categorically opposed to anything that takes away space for cars and any broader benefits of the project are irrelevant to them.

Also has there been any quantification of the degree to which McKenney’s loss was due to transphobia? Anecdotally it seemed to be a vote motivator. Would a cis white dude with an identical platform to McKenney have beaten Sutcliffe?

I would say it was perhaps a small factor but Sutcliffe won by a very wide margin. The amalgamation gave a lot of weight to the very 'centrist' suburbs who are broadly the libbiest of self-declared progressives. Sutcliffe went extremely hard on the "War on Cars" rhetoric and it played well with these people who are terrified of bike lanes or anything that might remove a single lane or parking space. It was ironically kind of nice that I don't think McKenney being trans had any noticeable effect and instead was just car-obsessed people that hate homeless people.

My thoughts were that they screwed themselves by talking about their big plan to accelerate the bike infrastructure. Should've just stuck with their other somewhat progressive points and just given a small nod to bike lanes, and then do the accelerated plan anyway.
McKenny supporters would've voted for them anyway because we knew their credentials and it might've flipped the undecided who all fell into line with Sutcliffe near the end.

The politics in this city are poo poo. Our riding which is heavily core and lower-income keeps electing the scumbag Mona Fortier for some reason. And our most recent NDP candidate was a strong supporter of Sutcliffe, complete garbage here honestly.

Fidelitious fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Has Mckenney publicly identified as trans?

e: gently caress Mona Fortier