Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Gewehr 43 posted:

The warthog is pretty bulletproof so you scored a great setup. The only mod I ever did on mine was to pop it apart and remove the heavy main centering spring. I found that its tendency to center was too strong when trying to do fine input adjustments with the stick near the center point. In fighter Sims, trying to line up a perfect shot while fighting the stick's centering force got annoying.

My problem is overshooting on fine adjustments. What's the best way to change sensitivity curves for all games? I have a T.Flight so TARGET doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Anyone aware of any standalone mounts? My desk won’t work well with table mount setups because the front has a 2in long slope at about a 30 degree angle and rounded out. So clamps won’t work well. My desk is a sit/stand so I can raise it to fit something underneath when needed.

I found this one but wondering if there are other options:
https://www.monstertechusa.com/product/flight-stand/

Not interested in any chair mount stuff.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 29, 2022

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I've put lots of effort into cheap mounts where I should have just eaten the extra cost when ordering kit:

My throttle is on a hobby/desk vice with the clamp attached to the desk and 2 90 degree shelving brackets:

Also used lighting pole mounts:

Maybe something like them can be bodged together if you can't find proper stuff? Assuming the vice above wouldn't be any better on the desk tho.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 29, 2022

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is there any easy way to convert a plug for an aircraft mic to something that can be plugged into a computer via adapter? I've had the opportunity to get an old Telex mic and am curious to try it out for grins and because I'm hating wearing a headset so far for VATSIM.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Easy way:

https://flightsounds.com/collections/solo-aviation-headset-usb-adapter

Cheap way:

Ignore the bottom half if it's just the microphone. You do need the USB plug even though the sound goes through the analog mic port because aviation microphones need a bias voltage to operate. You could also replace the 5v USB with a battery; anything in the range of 5-12 volts ought to work.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/plugs_paneljacks2.php

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 29, 2022

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Sagebrush posted:

Easy way:

https://flightsounds.com/collections/solo-aviation-headset-usb-adapter

Cheap way:

Ignore the bottom half if it's just the microphone. You do need the USB plug even though the sound goes through the analog mic port because aviation microphones need a bias voltage to operate. You could also replace the 5v USB with a battery; anything in the range of 5-12 volts ought to work.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/plugs_paneljacks2.php

Would something like this work to use the 3.5mm mic jack or is USB the only option? https://a.co/d/8f86se6

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No, that's an adapter for a helicopter. It looks kind of like a 3.5mm TRRS plug in that photo, but it's actually 7mm in diameter and only fits into a helicopter radio.

Also that's just a mechanical adapter. You still need to power the microphone somehow -- the airplane or helicopter radio does that, but a computer's 3.5mm mic jack doesn't. The circuit I posted above applies the DC bias across the microphone pins and filters it out before it gets to the sound card. Anything that connects an aviation headset to a computer will need a source of power, whether that's USB, a battery, or a separate wall plug.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

No, that's an adapter for a helicopter. It looks kind of like a 3.5mm TRRS plug in that photo, but it's actually 7mm in diameter and only fits into a helicopter radio.

Also that's just a mechanical adapter. You still need to power the microphone somehow -- the airplane or helicopter radio does that, but a computer's 3.5mm mic jack doesn't. The circuit I posted above applies the DC bias across the microphone pins and filters it out before it gets to the sound card. Anything that connects an aviation headset to a computer will need a source of power, whether that's USB, a battery, or a separate wall plug.

Ok, thanks. The one I'll be getting is similar to this:

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

xgalaxy posted:

Anyone aware of any standalone mounts? My desk won’t work well with table mount setups because the front has a 2in long slope at about a 30 degree angle and rounded out. So clamps won’t work well. My desk is a sit/stand so I can raise it to fit something underneath when needed.

I found this one but wondering if there are other options:
https://www.monstertechusa.com/product/flight-stand/

Not interested in any chair mount stuff.

I've been pretty happy with a pair of Meza Mounts. Not too expensive, but very solidly constructed and a lot of flexibility for different sticks or configurations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

marxismftw posted:

I've been pretty happy with a pair of Meza Mounts. Not too expensive, but very solidly constructed and a lot of flexibility for different sticks or configurations.

poo poo, I don't think that'll help him since his desk is so dumbly shaped, but that's exactly what I was just shopping for. Thanks!

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I got Navigrah (despite saying I wouldn't) and I've been getting used to it. I've flown a few flights using Navigraph/GPS flight plans that all went quite succesfully, until today. I used simbrief to get a general route then put in the approaches with Navigraph, saved the plan, and loaded it up in MSFS. Despite selecting a particular transition in the Navigraph app in MSFS it kept defaulting on the flight plan page to a different transition.

I don't think it's an in-game data problem. I've loaded the chart/airport data in MSFS with the Navigraph Charts app so it should match the charts app with the same AIRAC cycle. And even then I can see these transitions if I go into the FPL mode on the Garmin 1000. It's just the MSFS page before loading, it refuses to load in the proper approach transition so I don't have it pre-set.

I don't know how to alter the flight plan using the Garmin 1000 without messing things up, so I just flew what it gave me. Is there something I should be looking at to fix this?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Import the flight plan and select the procedures manually from the G1000?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Import the flight plan and select the procedures manually from the G1000?

I'll have to watch a few videos on that. Like I said I don't know how to do that without messing things up at the moment. I tried and I deleted the leg before the approach, then another time it wouldn't let me save it. There are videos for that though, I'm just wondering why the main page won't follow the plan I'm loading.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If you want to change your instrument approach then press the PROC button and select a different approach from there. How familiar are you with instrument approach procedures in general?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

If you want to change your instrument approach then press the PROC button and select a different approach from there. How familiar are you with instrument approach procedures in general?

I've watched videos, done it a few times in game and know the very basics of the charts. It doesn't seem to difficult at the moment, but I'm playing with "Clear Skies" for weather, start on the runway, no ATC and the Cessna 172 G1000 as the plane. I played about twenty hours of Xplane 11, and watched quite a few videos, but the four or so flights I've done in the past 48 hours is the most flying I've done in any sim. I'm planning on building up complexity as I get more comfortable.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
For what it's worth you might be more comfortable just flying visually and tuning the ILS frequency into your navigation radio, then pressing the CDI softkey at the bottom of the screen to switch from GPS navigation to ILS guidance and use that to help you get aligned with the runway. Doing a full-on instrument approach procedure is complicated for a bunch of real-world safety reasons that don't really matter in a home sim unless you want them to matter.

You can still fly almost all of it on autopilot if you're more comfortable doing landings that way. Arm approach mode and use HDG mode to get yourself aligned on the runway approach course, then the autopilot's approach mode will automatically kick in and guide you down to the runway.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm sure I'd be thrown out of the plane mid-air if I tried to use my "system" but it's near enough for me at the moment. I use GPS following the IFR low-routes, use the typically correct transitions, etc. and have it all planned out in Navigraph. But because I'm using the calmest weather I can choose what approach I want, along with no ATC telling me what to do or to change anything. I've done a GPS landing on an airport that didn't have anything for the glide slope/any localizer/ILS landing, and that was fine as well, I just used the charts to figure out what rate I needed to descend at rather than doing it "visually"/ad-hoc because I can't judge anything like that on the computer, even with the PAPI lights.

I just would like to have the plan all done out beforehand, and for the game to work with the plan I put into it. I'll get around to manually changing the GPS and all that, and I might get an ATC plugin when I'm much more familiar with things, but with about 12 hours played since I got the game I'm not at that point yet.

I might try more handheld flying when I get a joystick, so far the controller I have isn't great for movement and fine adjustments even after playing around with sensitivity.

I dunno, I'm having fun, and that's all that matters.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Negostrike posted:

In the arcade-y air combat games topic, Sky Rogue is fun as hell

https://store.steampowered.com/app/381020/Sky_Rogue/

This is a lot of fun, but there's some oddity with controls. When it wants me to press A to land, the only button that will work is Enter on the keyboard and not the A on my Xbox controller or any button on my T.Flight. Also it doesn't detect the T.Flight throttle, but it does detect the rocker.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Possibly more a topic for the other flight sim thread, but for those who haven't been paying attention, there's an new old new old contender out…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=658ax0y8KHs

It has only been a day, but it seems like quite an improvement on both the single-player, client, and hosting side, and the VR actually works. It remains to be seen if it catches on enough to get a full MP campaign going, but anyone who misses the clickymania of old can get it here: https://www.falcon-bms.com/downloads/

As before, possession of Falcon 4.0 needs to be proven, but that's easy to fix via places such as GOG or even Steam.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Mrenda posted:

I dunno, I'm having fun, and that's all that matters.

That's what matters for sure!

I really like Flightinsight's videos. I followed along with this to get a feel for manually entering flight plans into the G1000.
I run into issues, too, with the MSFS flight plan screen and often just put in starting and ending airports and altitude then do the rest of the plan I want in the plane.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

AzureSkys posted:

So I just picked all this up for $300 from someone who's clearing out their home to go live on a sailboat. So far everything tests OK. Anything in particular to worry about or tweak with the Warthog stick and throttle?

Nice score. What stick is that? I assumed it was part of the Warthog but I don't think so?

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

It's the Warthog stick. The guy cut up and welded his own center mount for it, which makes it comfortable. I need to find a way to get something to swap in for a yoke when flying that kind of stuff, though.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
For those of you using a joystick but without using other hardware like physical buttons, dials, etc.
How are you dealing with interacting with cockpit controls such as comm dials, etc?
This annoyance has me considering either getting a left handed joystick or buying something with physical dials, etc that I can’t easily map to joystick buttons.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
For FS2020, I just use the mouse to interact with dials on the screen. That or I just let the comms menu do the work for me. I only fly GA though, so using a mause in a jetliner might be impractical.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Gewehr 43 posted:

For FS2020, I just use the mouse to interact with dials on the screen. That or I just let the comms menu do the work for me. I only fly GA though, so using a mause in a jetliner might be impractical.

Well that’s my point. In GA without auto pilot taking hand off stick to use mouse to interact with cockpit is more troublesome than if you had autopilot to at least keep alt while I fumble around.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Are you using the trim control?

Taking your hand off the stick/yoke for a few seconds to mess with some buttons should be no issue if you're trimmed up. If you are not using the trim ,and you're instead e.g. holding the stick back constantly to maintain altitude in cruise, you're flying wrong. A small GA plane in proper trim, in calm weather, should have no trouble holding heading and altitude long enough for you to do whatever you need to with the instruments.

In real life I can fly hands-off for miles with no autopilot, just careful trim and occasional gentle nudges on the rudder.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 1, 2023

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

xgalaxy posted:

For those of you using a joystick but without using other hardware like physical buttons, dials, etc.
How are you dealing with interacting with cockpit controls such as comm dials, etc?
This annoyance has me considering either getting a left handed joystick or buying something with physical dials, etc that I can’t easily map to joystick buttons.

I got fed up trying to do this pretty quickly when I started flying. There's a couple of options I've tried that are all sort of around the same price point of $80-$150.

You can try getting your instrument panel to another screen that has touch. You can do this using something like Air Manager ($70) for full instruments, or MSFS Touch Panel (free but no longer being actively developed) which can do the G1000 and has a panel for COM/NAV/AP as well. So if you already have a iPad, Surface, or touchscreen monitor/laptop it's possible this could be free. You can find used touchscreens on eBay for like $80 too.

You can try an Stream Deck ($150 new, usually about $80-100 used) which has a couple of plugins for MSFS that will let you control COM/NAV/AP, gear, lights, flaps, and display instrument info all from the button box.

You can also get a MIDI controller like the X-Touch Mini or the Korg nanoKontrol2 ($80) and pair that with Axis and Ohs ($30) which then lets you use the knobs/sliders and buttons in MSFS.

Personally I think the Stream Deck is the easiest to implement and it's fun punching in stuff like COM frequency changes on an actual numpad kind of thing. Axis and Ohs is also pretty easy to get working for MSFS and I really like having actual knobs to turn instead of just using Increment up/down buttons. The touchscreen route is probably the most finicky but can also be a lot of fun because you're actually looking at instruments or a G1000.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Scruff McGruff posted:

I got fed up trying to do this pretty quickly when I started flying. There's a couple of options I've tried that are all sort of around the same price point of $80-$150.

You can try getting your instrument panel to another screen that has touch. You can do this using something like Air Manager ($70) for full instruments, or MSFS Touch Panel (free but no longer being actively developed) which can do the G1000 and has a panel for COM/NAV/AP as well. So if you already have a iPad, Surface, or touchscreen monitor/laptop it's possible this could be free. You can find used touchscreens on eBay for like $80 too.

You can try an Stream Deck ($150 new, usually about $80-100 used) which has a couple of plugins for MSFS that will let you control COM/NAV/AP, gear, lights, flaps, and display instrument info all from the button box.

You can also get a MIDI controller like the X-Touch Mini or the Korg nanoKontrol2 ($80) and pair that with Axis and Ohs ($30) which then lets you use the knobs/sliders and buttons in MSFS.

Personally I think the Stream Deck is the easiest to implement and it's fun punching in stuff like COM frequency changes on an actual numpad kind of thing. Axis and Ohs is also pretty easy to get working for MSFS and I really like having actual knobs to turn instead of just using Increment up/down buttons. The touchscreen route is probably the most finicky but can also be a lot of fun because you're actually looking at instruments or a G1000.

It looks like Stream Deck has a version with knobs now. I think this is probably the route I'll take.
I mean I'd love to have actual instruments to look at and touch but I don't think I'm anywhere near building a physical cockpit yet :laugh:

EDIT:
I also found this: http://fsmacropanel.com/
Kind of expensive though. I think the Stream Deck has more utility for the price.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 1, 2023

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Scruff McGruff posted:

!!!!!!

Thank you so much. I had thought and attempted to map my MIDI controllers to flight sims years ago but it was too hard with available solutions. AxisAndOhs looks great.

I'll try it again with this at some point soon.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
Another alternative to the steam deck is loupedeck, it has msfs plugin that let's you map your autopilot to the encoders (rotary knobs) and whatnot and also will map midi so you can use it with axis and ohs.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

tima posted:

Another alternative to the steam deck is loupedeck, it has msfs plugin that let's you map your autopilot to the encoders (rotary knobs) and whatnot and also will map midi so you can use it with axis and ohs.

Oh wow. Never heard of these guys.
They have some cool looking options.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Definitely go for something with rotary encoders, you'll regret it if you don't I think. The tactile feel of being able to blindly adjust heading, speed, altitude, radios, etc. is arguably more useful than just a few buttons. I got the X-Touch Mini and have zero regrets, don't even use Axis and Ohs, just simple scripting, and it's made such a huge difference. Loupedeck looks very cool too though

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
My T16000 came with alternative LH grips, so I swapped those on years ago to leave my right hand free for mousing. It's never felt like a handicap, which is fortunate because I've probably lost the original grips by now.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You fly with your left hand in most GA planes anyway.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Just keep the nose pointed the right way with rudder, if the wind is stable that gives you plenty of time to do things

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for all those posts lately on the dials. That's a pain in the rear end to me too.

Here is that new stream deck with rotary dials on it that was mentioned earlier

https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Production-Controller-Streaming-Customizable/dp/B0BJL8SJ59?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
So MSFS is too dumb to pay attention to what resolution your computer's OS (you know, the thing they do) actually supports.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Welcome to HISTORICA!

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Bedurndurn posted:

So MSFS is too dumb to pay attention to what resolution your computer's OS (you know, the thing they do) actually supports.

Microsoft is the company that struggles the most with developing for Windows. In order to get XCloud (Their mediocre streaming thing) to work in the Xbox App I have to set my windows language to English (USA) instead of English and my local language keyboard. If I don't do this, the stream just ends up being a black screen. As for why the language settings of your OS affect a video stream from an app, who knows. Only Microsoft has these issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Boar It posted:

Microsoft is the company that struggles the most with developing for Windows.

As a career-long IT professional, truer words have never been written.