Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

DJ Commie posted:

I dunno, trying to make track suitable power long term with a NA+T B6 or BP can be more cost intensive than a truck LS+T56+8.8 IRS. Its easy torquey power and a built BP+EFRturbo+6 speed is expensive.

But most of all gently caress dealing with the manifold to turbo studs on the efr with a heavily tracked car, jesus christ

I had 'the setup' (trackspeed cast stainless steel manifold, inconel studs, resbond, stage 8 locking hardware) and it was still annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

GramCracker posted:

As the thread title suggests, I did something stupid.

Very stupid.
You should give it to me to absolve yourself.

(Sweet GT-R!)

Digital_Jesus posted:

I appear to keep doing stupid things.

Nice!

I sat in a couple of those at the Texas State fair and fiddled with knobs and such, and really liked the layout and "quirks" (as Doug says) that I found.
Would, I'm saying.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
My '03 Mach 1 went to two auctions after I sold it before it wound up at an exotic/specialty dealer outside of Pittsburgh where it sold after about a month. Lost track of it there.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I'd like to know more about the so-called sequential transmission on the GT-:argh:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just a couple of shots of my EM1 from last year’s local autumn cruise that someone sent me.

A bystander rolled by as we were all gathered (15 cars or so), pointed at my Si and said “that’s the one I want! So pretty!”

It really does warm my cold dead heart.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
EM1s are just that choice. Everyone likes them

e: get an E1M1 license plate

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

It’s already got a custom plate

Which is in opposition to my son’s base Del Sol license plate, NO VTEC

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Final pics I took early December before the roads started getting salted

I’m looking to get rid of it and I know a friend who wants it but she has to sell her mr2 first. I’d rather wait and sell it to them as I really don’t want to have to deal with actually putting it up for sale and deal with a bunch of idiots wasting my time.

Buuuut I really fancy a 86/BRZ, I’m honestly tempted to go and buy one now but I know it’s gonna be a hassle dealing with 3 cars that I barely use.

Unlesss any amerigoons want to help me ship it over there so it can be sold for like double the price I’m gonna let it go for here……..

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I'd happily do the time-honoured tradition of phoning up to arrange a viewing at 10.30pm on a weekday, turn up to the viewing an hour late and trying to con you into letting me test drive it without proof of insurance before going full Mike Brewer and offer something insulting and saying 'hold our you hand' like I'm having a partial seizure.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

track day bro! posted:

I’m looking to get rid of it and I know a friend who wants it but she has to sell her mr2 first. I’d rather wait and sell it to them as I really don’t want to have to deal with actually putting it up for sale and deal with a bunch of idiots wasting my time.

Buuuut I really fancy a 86/BRZ, I’m honestly tempted to go and buy one now but I know it’s gonna be a hassle dealing with 3 cars that I barely use.

Unlesss any amerigoons want to help me ship it over there so it can be sold for like double the price I’m gonna let it go for here……..

What model year is it, and what do they go for in the UK? I've wanted an MR2 since I was in high school. Everytime I look up used turbo models in the US they're beat to poo poo and very expensive for a car that's going to need alot of work.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
I also did something dumb. It's a stick, and it was MSRP, and at this point, that's all I can really ask for. I like it, and the color is great in person! At night under artificial lights, it's almost white, and in sunlight it's a bright powder blue.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

MetaJew posted:

What model year is it, and what do they go for in the UK? I've wanted an MR2 since I was in high school. Everytime I look up used turbo models in the US they're beat to poo poo and very expensive for a car that's going to need alot of work.

To put it in perspective over 10 years ago I bought this car for 3500. When I was still paying attention a nicer car with less miles went for about 10 grand here a year or so ago.

It’s a 93 which is a crossover year for the JDM cars, it’s a very early gen3 so it has the better version of the 3S-GTE which the USDM cars didn’t get and all the other facelift bits and bobs. The rear spoiler is from the 98/99 cars and is a genuine toyota item also.

It’s got a few TRD parts that are now long NLA, suspension is just Bilstein B6’s combined with H&R springs, TRD sways the whole thing is poly bushed probably more I’ve forgotten about.

Upgrades to the engine are an ARC induction box, HKS exhaust, Celica ST205 A2W IC and also it was previously running an old HKS TD05 kit that had been rebuilt with a billet compressor wheel.
In like 2017 I had the engine rebuilt with stock comp CP pistons, eagle rods and arp hardware. I then switched the turbo out for a Blitz item that uses the toyota CT style footprint so I could switch to a catted downpipe (You are able to get inspection here on this car without a cat because of a weird loophole) to make it a bit quieter.

Stuff to keep it cool on track was also added, a bigger ally rad, external oil cooler in place of the SMIC. Uprated supra fuel pump was also added as I thought at some point I’d slap on bigger injectors and go standalone. I actually picked up a Link plug and play ECU which is now like worth double what I paid for it at the time and fitted it into a spare ecu casing I had lying around.

Turns out for what I wanted it was better to just run the engine at stock ish power and have it overbuilt. Rather than having more power with bigger injectors and worrying about potential failures. If it was used more on the street it would’ve made sense but as I’ve gotten older I’m too tired for a b road drive at 3am.

I moved to a place with a drive last year and thought ‘oh now this summer I’ll use the car way more!’ and I didn’t really.

Part of it is that the person who built my engine who was a long time friend and pretty much got me obsessed with mr2’s in the late 2000’s just randomly died shortly after the engine was finished. I learned so much about cars from him and I’m sure he’s glad when I do use the car he helped build I used it on track. It’s kinda complicated idk I don’t want to feel too sentimental about an object. It really hit me hard as he was about my age too and was hardly what you’d call unhealthy.

Thats part of the reason why I really want to wait for the other person to buy it, as they were also a friend of the same dude. She wants it for nice weather and take it to car shows whic is something I’ve got 0 interest in.

Sorry for the massive wall of text I’ve not really told anybody this apart from like a few close friends irl.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

It has been born

You have my bronco (well the wrong color ;))

manual is a great choice, the crawl gear is cheat mode

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

track day bro! posted:

This thing fucks and you shouldn’t sell it :colbert:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

GramCracker posted:

This thing fucks and you shouldn’t sell it :colbert:

Yeah but I could supercharge a GT86 and still have a slower car! Comedy option is an Elise and just hate every moment driving on the road.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

track day bro! posted:

Yeah but I could supercharge a GT86 and still have a slower car! Comedy option is an Elise and just hate every moment driving on the road.

I've always loved your car. :swoon:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Mr-Spain posted:

That color is fantastic.

Thanks. It looks a lot better all prettied up under nice lighting.

adaz posted:

You have my bronco (well the wrong color ;))

manual is a great choice, the crawl gear is cheat mode

Definitely jealous of the lack of cyber orange or some alternative yellow for 2023 however. Excellent color.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

wzm posted:

I also did something dumb. It's a stick, and it was MSRP, and at this point, that's all I can really ask for. I like it, and the color is great in person! At night under artificial lights, it's almost white, and in sunlight it's a bright powder blue.

Nice. :c00l:

I made a post in here last year because I bought a DCT — ended up selling it after 7K miles and getting a '23 manual. Thanks to the crazy used car market I didn't lose much. Lesson learned, though: don't buy the non-manual transmission, even if it's good.

For flat-out driving the DCT is great, but daily driving a manual is so much more fun.

Are you planning to do anything to it? The only thing I'd recommend is 18s and different tires if you live somewhere that gets seasons. The PS4S are amazing in the summer but useless when it's cold, and you really have to spend a lot of mental energy avoiding potholes with the 19s (I popped a tire like a month after I got my first one). I also just received an engine mount bushing from Powerflex which is supposed to reduce wheel hop.

It's a super engaging and very practical car for the $$.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
Absolutely 18"s, the only winter tires available in the stock size are something like $350 each, vs having options between $190 and $270 in 18". I'm leaning towards Motegi MR131s in bronze, at ~$200 a wheel and 18 pounds, they seem like a bargain. I hate getting a bad wheel size on a car, and then immediately needing to buy a new set of wheels and tires (it's not summer right now), it just feels like such a waste. I'm not sure about the engine mount. It's cheap, but I'm not looking to launch the thing hard from every stoplight, let me know how you like yours!

I knew this going in, but no one makes a tow bar for it, which is a pain for bike racks. I might see if I can put something together myself, or if it's close enough to a regular Elantra to adapt that tow bar.

Every Honda dealer wanted to mark the Si up to $32-35k, Type Rs are fetching $55k+, and no one has returned my phone calls about the GR Corolla between when it was announced and today, so this just seemed like the best option. I've got a 2016 GTI already, and wasn't excited about the redesign. I'm not sure I love the styling, but I do like the space (vs the VW), the suspension, the color, and the overall value.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

track day bro! posted:

and break a bunch of transmissions / motors when you track it :v:

Your MR2 is great :)

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

and break a bunch of transmissions / motors when you track it :v:

Your MR2 is great :)

Are they really that fragile, I mean I know about the motor stuff. But the gearbox being weak is new on me. I mean saying that the E153 in the mr2 can handle stupid power something close to 500whp or maybe more if I’m remembering wrong but god it feels like rear end to shift.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

track day bro! posted:

Are they really that fragile, I mean I know about the motor stuff. But the gearbox being weak is new on me. I mean saying that the E153 in the mr2 can handle stupid power something close to 500whp or maybe more if I’m remembering wrong but god it feels like rear end to shift.

Broke a couple supercharged, broke one k24 swapped when the car made 180ftlb - now it makes 200ftlb, we will see.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Got tired of waiting for my Bronco order to show up.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

bird with big dick posted:

Got tired of waiting for my Bronco order to show up.

You buy the whole thing, or just the corner?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
syf0n 2.0 right here

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Nice, now go get it dirty

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

meatpimp posted:

You buy the whole thing, or just the corner?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bought a 1/5th share of a jeep the other day. car market is rough out there boys

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
it's called a jeep club you wouldn't understand

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

wzm posted:

it's called a jeep club you wouldn't understand

*drowns in ducks*

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

EvilBeard posted:

*drowns in ducks*

You know, I’m mildly horny for a top-off, no doors rattletrap to gently caress around with in summertime but I really cannot get past the weird cult around them. Like I don’t even understand the duck poo poo, or the Life Is Good tire covers or the jeep wave stuff. Can’t you just have a jeep?

Too bad it costs so loving much for old FJs or JDM BJ imports.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

LeeMajors posted:

You know, I’m mildly horny for a top-off, no doors rattletrap to gently caress around with in summertime but I really cannot get past the weird cult around them. Like I don’t even understand the duck poo poo, or the Life Is Good tire covers or the jeep wave stuff. Can’t you just have a jeep?

Too bad it costs so loving much for old FJs or JDM BJ imports.

It's hard not to get on the anti-jeep train now. I like them, I really like them. My CJ8 Scrambler was one of my mostest favorite cars. But 50% of the time when I was driving it, I had the hardtop off, doors off, and windshield down.

I cannot tell you the last time I saw a Jeep driving with the windshield down, and that's a damned shame.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

meatpimp posted:

It's hard not to get on the anti-jeep train now. I like them, I really like them. My CJ8 Scrambler was one of my mostest favorite cars. But 50% of the time when I was driving it, I had the hardtop off, doors off, and windshield down.

I cannot tell you the last time I saw a Jeep driving with the windshield down, and that's a damned shame.

lol have you seen a picture of a JL with it down?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Raluek posted:

Nope, just looked it up. :lol: :wtf:

I just carried around a piece of rope to tie it down to the loop on the windshield... it was a 2 minute exercise to remove the two bolts and pop it down. Now it looks like a much sillier procedure to end up looking ridiculous.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Raluek posted:

ahahaha

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Raluek posted:

lmfao

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Raluek posted:

I audibly guffawed

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Someone post earlier gen jeeps with the windshield down, so I know what to laugh at.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Raluek posted:

Oh my god hahahahahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MetaJew posted:

Someone post earlier gen jeeps with the windshield down, so I know what to laugh at.

ok, so the original production willys mb was basically just a tractor. you could fold down the top and windshield and be totally exposed if you wanted.

the later CJ's are pretty much the same thing, just with more rounded sheet metal. they added a factory roll bar at some point.

the YJ keeps the style going, but with a bit more substantial of a roll bar.

the TJ is basically the same thing, but a little more modern. this was the last proper jeep.

the JK... now things are starting to look a little silly. it looks like a car someone took a sawzall to.

then the JL... well. kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

*plop*