Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: symbolic)
best year for Youtube AMVs?
This poll is closed.
2005 38 25.68%
2006 20 13.51%
2007 19 12.84%
2008 16 10.81%
2009 15 10.14%
2010 1 0.68%
2011 9 6.08%
2012 6 4.05%
2013 2 1.35%
2014 3 2.03%
2015 0 0%
2016 1 0.68%
2017 0 0%
2018 0 0%
2019 0 0%
2020 1 0.68%
2021 1 0.68%
2022 16 10.81%
Total: 148 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

konosuba is alright but the weird transphobic jokes in the movie soured me on it a lot. peace.

did not know about this, looked it up, now I'm in this mindset too

symbolic posted:

which circle of hell is that classified as

Sixth :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Endorph posted:

a youtuber cafe where that one 16 hour long pokemon omega ruby review is playing, forever

This but it's the 13 hour long Victorious review.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i watched konosuba on a friend's recommendation and thought it was mildly funny, but the succubus episode and the collar episode were mean-spirited enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth and i wasn't enjoying the rest enough to keep going. it did do a pretty fun job of capturing the silly vibes of a dnd game so i see why it resonated with people, just not for me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Colonel posted:

they will forever live on through, chaos;child not having an ending in any format because they cancelled the special complete edition of the vn that was supposed to add one

lol i'm literally going through the kazuki ending c;c right this second so uh, rip

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

i watched konosuba on a friend's recommendation and thought it was mildly funny, but the succubus episode and the collar episode were mean-spirited enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth and i wasn't enjoying the rest enough to keep going. it did do a pretty fun job of capturing the silly vibes of a dnd game so i see why it resonated with people, just not for me.

this is partly why i find it a mixed bag, since the funny jokes are funny but then there's stuff that i cringe at for either being too mean-spirited or too uhhhh Kazuma-ish

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Going to nth the opinion that konosuba was always too mean-spirited for my liking, and I didn't even watch that much of it so it sounds like I didn't even get to the parts that were the worst in that regard

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Arc Hammer posted:

I think I'll take a break from GITS before hopping into 2ndGIG. I actually don't remember very much about the second season so it'll be interesting going back. But I've had my fill for the time being and I want to watch something else.

Stupid G Witch getting delayed by holiday programming blocks...

watch ergo proxy, OP

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Southern Cassowary posted:

the other one from the konosuba person (combatants from another world? or something similar) is even worse about this imo , and made me wonder if I liked konosuba at all. made it maybe 3 chapters into the manga adaptation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

princess connect is a similar sense of humor to konosuba but a lot like, fluffier feeling. more gentle ribbing of the cast. some of the same anime staff too. so thats a decent watch if that was your opinion on konosuba.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What were the mean spirited jokes in Konosuba? It's been a while and I don't quite remember.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

a youtuber cafe where that one 16 hour long pokemon omega ruby review is playing, forever

lol

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Raenir Salazar posted:

What were the mean spirited jokes in Konosuba? It's been a while and I don't quite remember.

I mean, you're introduced to the protagonist with him trying to save a girl he likes from being "hit" by a low-speed tractor or something, and then he dies of shock and pisses himself, and his family is mortified when they find out about it, iirc

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hai Kazuma desu

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Endorph posted:

princess connect is a similar sense of humor to konosuba but a lot like, fluffier feeling. more gentle ribbing of the cast. some of the same anime staff too. so thats a decent watch if that was your opinion on konosuba.

yeah what i watched of princess connect was pretty great and way more chill than what i remember of konosuba and the "yes i'm charlie" bit got a smile out of me.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

the whole thing. it's basically fantasy Always Sunny and some people ain't looking for that

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

there's the episode where Kazuma gets a magic collar attached to him that everyone (erroneously) thinks will kill him and he spends several days emotionally abusing/taking advantage of basically everyone

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Patware posted:

the whole thing. it's basically fantasy Always Sunny and some people ain't looking for that

Always Sunny is much much funnier

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are their good isekai recommendations that aren't mean-spirited power fantasies that aren't the bookworm one? Preferably ones that don't have an underlying resentment for the real world to justify the protagonist's actions in the fantasy world.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

i read a shitload of the korean "i have become the villainess/some other character of some book i read" ones and they tend to be fun and not, like, resentful and weird

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Arc Hammer posted:

Are their good isekai recommendations that aren't mean-spirited power fantasies that aren't the bookworm one? Preferably ones that don't have an underlying resentment for the real world to justify the protagonist's actions in the fantasy world.

I'm pretty sure you've already read Kumo desu ga right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sword art online :twisted:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm pretty sure you've already read Kumo desu ga right?

Watched the show, was alright. Needed more spider stuff and less cutaways to the boring people.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

Isekai Ojisan to an extent

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

there's the episode where Kazuma gets a magic collar attached to him that everyone (erroneously) thinks will kill him and he spends several days emotionally abusing/taking advantage of basically everyone

yeah like, i'm okay with a comedy about assholes in a fantasy world in principle, but stuff like this was a bit much

marumaru
May 20, 2013

symbolic posted:

Isekai Ojisan to an extent

isekai ojisan is fun

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
frankly i could name more isekai, even power fantasy ones, that aren't super spiteful or distasteful that i've read and watched than ones that aren't. hell re:zero is one of the most popular ones and that's directly about confrontation with that part of the main character

marumaru
May 20, 2013

re:zero is also really good. i should keep reading it (i wish it was manga)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What someone said earlier reminds me about some anime just having a certain genre vibe even if there aren't any indications of it. Kusuriya no Hitorigoto feels like an Isekai to me because the protagonist's thought process just strikes me as more modern compared to anyone else we come across and the setting never that I saw actually specifies if this is actually ancient Imperial China or a wuxia fantasy world. So there you go Arc if you haven't checked it out already.

e:

Arc Hammer posted:

Watched the show, was alright. Needed more spider stuff and less cutaways to the boring people.

You should check out the manga then; it's stupendously good. If you like Elden Ring/Dark Souls it has a similar kind of vibe/atmosphere going for it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you want more recent stuff and not old ones like dunbine or rayearth or escaflowne check like idk. shokei shoujo, it's kinda jank but it's a decent adventure story with some funny dialog. yakuza reincarnation is okay if you want one where the joke is that it's a gruff yakuza guy who feels straight out of the like a dragon games doing wacky over the top cartoon yakuza stuff in a fantasy world. .hack//sign veers hardest into elements of it within its own series and is pretty cool. i favor the villainess has some decent examination of the main character's relationship with her sexuality, though a lot of that might only be in the ln. i hate slime witch but that's mostly because its gay jokes are insanely unfunny and its characters are boring, the notes about the main character's death from overwork resulting in her being more protective and shouldering more of a burden for others now that she's strong enough to handle it because she's worried for their health are mildly interesting.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I liked the anime, with the exception of the collar ova that ones just too mean, but imo the konosuba LNs are a lot better. the anime really accentuates each characters flaw, in the books they're all still weirdos but a little more rounded. also I'm pretty sure the collar episode was anime original or at least I blocked out reading that chapter

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

symbolic posted:

Pretty sure this was an OVA, I think. I only say this because I kinda put it right next to Kaguya's "ironic fanservice OVA" that uh....wasn't particularly ironic about it.

I still like Konosuba a lot but I'm not gonna begrudge anyone for being turned off by its worst stuff. It could have just as easily not done those things.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you don't mind more specifically mmo stuff then i'd especially recommend .hack//sign cause it's a show that's very in conversation with why the characters would seek an mmo for escapism and how them meeting each other ultimately helps them all deal with those circumstances in their life and pushes the main character from feeling lost and hated to actually having a proper family and a person who deeply cares about them, gun gale online is fun for being relatively low stakes and abstracting most of its drama to a couple characters being comically weird. bofuri is okay

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The Eliza Villainness series last time I checked it out also seems quite good if you wanted a slightly more dark and played straight take on the Bakarina formula. The problem is last time I was checking it out it was still in the Web Novel stage which meant that there was only one person doing a decent fan translation and when she stopped doing it the only alternative is a dodgy machine translation that's a pain to read. If there's better now/re-translation that'd be a god-send.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i checked and the collar ep was indeed an OVA so mea culpa, tho there's still several segments that just feel cruel

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

The Eliza Villainness series last time I checked it out also seems quite good if you wanted a slightly more dark and played straight take on the Bakarina formula. The problem is last time I was checking it out it was still in the Web Novel stage which meant that there was only one person doing a decent fan translation and when she stopped doing it the only alternative is a dodgy machine translation that's a pain to read. If there's better now/re-translation that'd be a god-send.

its more than "slightly" darker. one fo the first things she does in her new life is murder her entire family for being psychopathic serial killers who torture people to death for fun

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
OVA episodes are such a mixed bag. The last one I saw that I actually liked was the Dorohedoro one with all the little short stories. It was sweet.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the one with aqua in the cage was the funniest konosuba bit, the rest of the series was all downhill after that

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

The Colonel posted:

if you don't mind more specifically mmo stuff then i'd especially recommend .hack//sign cause it's a show that's very in conversation with why the characters would seek an mmo for escapism and how them meeting each other ultimately helps them all deal with those circumstances in their life and pushes the main character from feeling lost and hated to actually having a proper family and a person who deeply cares about them, gun gale online is fun for being relatively low stakes and abstracting most of its drama to a couple characters being comically weird. bofuri is okay

When they referenced Waiting For Godot by name in .hack I knew it was absolutely goated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

does bofuri ever actually do anything at all? it seemed like the lightest, fluffiest slice of life mmo thing possible

which, sure if you're looking for that

related, i like infinite dendrogram a lot even though its good ideas are also swimming in a sea of really dumb ones. it manages to do isekai mmo stuff without actually trapping anyone in anything and thay creates really interesting tensions when the author remembers to do them in between writing "This is the Drag-Armor King, Armored Dragon"