Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Cleretic posted:

They weren't the only developer to make that mistake, although they were probably the loudest.

I think the best response to it was from the director of Ninja Gaiden 3, after they did try to westernize it and failed. The quote was basically 'we tried to make a western-style hamburger, and none of you wanted that, so I promise that from now on we're gonna stick to making really good sushi'.

To be fair, Tomonobu Itagaki was super hardcore into that sort of thing and they were just trying to follow in his footsteps after he left (because he wanted to do EDGY poo poo only, ironically) and well, it backfired.

Kchama has a new favorite as of 09:17 on Dec 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
The entire 360/PS3-era was really bad when it came to japanese devs trying to 'westernize' their franchise. Turns out that cultural idiosyncrasies are a thing most players actually like, and wrangling your franchise into the mold of a generic western game will just get you...a generic game.

Ironically, I think the most influential title of that generation was Dark Souls, a game made by a developer who did not compromise on their ideas in the slightest and found a niche that happened to perfectly overlap with both Japanese fantasy like Berserk and western knights- and-wizards stories.

It's almost like compromising your vision to cater to imagined and over-generalized cultural conceptions is a Bad Idea.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sobatchja Morda posted:

The entire 360/PS3-era was really bad when it came to japanese devs trying to 'westernize' their franchise. Turns out that cultural idiosyncrasies are a thing most players actually like, and wrangling your franchise into the mold of a generic western game will just get you...a generic game.

Ironically, I think the most influential title of that generation was Dark Souls, a game made by a developer who did not compromise on their ideas in the slightest and found a niche that happened to perfectly overlap with both Japanese fantasy like Berserk and western knights- and-wizards stories.

It's almost like compromising your vision to cater to imagined and over-generalized cultural conceptions is a Bad Idea.

Dark Souls is funny as it was heavily inspired by Western fantasy literature, as the creator was inspired by all of the Western fantasy novels he could barely read.

JRPGs on the whole are based on Western CRPGs (Wizardry, almost entirely) but evolved their own flavor. Of course, this is probably why most JRPG devs see no need to 'westernize', because the core is a Western franchise (that ironically became a Japanese franchise almost entirely in the end).

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Kchama posted:

DmC was very weird overall because Capcom literally shopped out to people like that, and even refused to actually let them make it more like the original games when they started to feel like being backwards, edgy, and misanthropic was a really bad fit for DMC. All because Inafune convinced Capcom that 'everybody hates Japanese games' (maybe he talked to Phil Fish?) and that they had to go EDGY and hire western devs to do all their games for them to survive.

It was also completely redeemed by giving Dante a cowboy hat as a weapon in dmc5

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kchama posted:

Dark Souls is funny as it was heavily inspired by Western fantasy literature, as the creator was inspired by all of the Western fantasy novels he could barely read.

JRPGs on the whole are based on Western CRPGs (Wizardry, almost entirely) but evolved their own flavor. Of course, this is probably why most JRPG devs see no need to 'westernize', because the core is a Western franchise (that ironically became a Japanese franchise almost entirely in the end).

IIRC when Demon Souls was first under development the idea was to create an Oblivion-alike.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC when Demon Souls was first under development the idea was to create an Oblivion-alike.

Sony literally approached From Soft and told them "we don't have Oblivion on the PS3, make us Oblivion on PS3" and Hidetaka Miyazaki heard that order and said "third person King's Field game, got it"

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Its almost like compromising your vision to cater to imagined and over-generalized cultural conceptions is a Bad Idea.
It's core feature - the difficulty, how punishing the gameplay was - is also in stark contrast with most games of that generation until then, Demon Souls more so that the follow ups. Which is definitely due to the producers not meddling with the game making, in this case.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder how much of running a professional game studio is about trying to figure out how to make the game you actually want to make while still complying with the publisher contract.

Like sure they're both games where you kill demons with a sword, but there's no way you intentionally try to make an Oblivion clone and end up making Demons Souls instead

Acute Grill has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Dec 12, 2022

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kchama posted:

I thought it wasn't even novels, but like tabletop RPG source books and poo poo. The games definitely have a vibe.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Acute Grill posted:

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder how much of running a professional game studio is about trying to figure out how to make the game you actually want to make while still complying with the publisher contract.

Like sure they're both games where you kill demons with a sword, but there's no way you intentionally try to make an Oblivion clone and end up making Demons Souls instead

Yeah, it definitely wasn't intentional on that part. The general way that part of the development went was that the 'Oblivion clone' plan was an almost-immediate non-starter, but then Hidetaka Miyazaki, fresh off some Armored Core games, took control because he could tell he could just mold it into what he thought would work. The higher-up outlook was that they were going to cancel it eventually, but couldn't get around to it until after it was too far along to can.

Matt McMuscles has a great video about its development, a HUGE amount of it involved just straight-up lying to Sony and honestly it's a miracle it even got released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ3_I10FXIY

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

That Italian Guy posted:

It's core feature - the difficulty, how punishing the gameplay was - is also in stark contrast with most games of that generation until then, Demon Souls more so that the follow ups. Which is definitely due to the producers not meddling with the game making, in this case.

Yeah, given games of that era basically try to drag you to the credits by any means necessary- achievements broke the brains of publishers for a good few years apparently- the difficulty was refreshing, and then the runaway success of Dark Souls apparently threw devs for quite a loop.

Acute Grill posted:

There's that and also a good chunk of figuring out what actually works given the technical and time constraints you're working under.

And it's also often very interesting when Japanese developers do their take on a Western genre and what comes out of it between the cultural filter, development environment, and design priorities. Like Breath of the Wild clearly is basically Nintendo's take on the Ubisoft-style sandbox complete with the goddamn tablet and towers, but was hugely refreshing as a sandbox that wasn't desperately dragging you to every single setpiece in terror that you might miss something that precious development budget was put into. And Elden Ring clearly picked up on that, taking the Dark Souls formula that was already pretty open-ended and going nuts with it to the point where you have a game very few people experience the same way.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I thought it wasn't even novels, but like tabletop RPG source books and poo poo. The games definitely have a vibe.

It was a mixture. One of them was even GRRM's books, which probably explains why they went to him to write Elden Ring's backstory. The Dragonpass boardgame and the tabletop setting it was based on is what Demon Souls was initially based off of, which makes a LOT of sense if you know anything about it.

carrionman posted:

It was also completely redeemed by giving Dante a cowboy hat as a weapon in dmc5

That's a fair point.

As someone else said, it was a long, funny road how it became Demon Souls.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And it's also often very interesting when Japanese developers do their take on a Western genre and what comes out of it between the cultural filter, development environment, and design priorities.
Not really something that hasn't aged well, but that was weird from the get go: Japan's game industry fascination with Twin Peaks. Its Americana was already weird and out of time, so it was doubly so when filtered through the "Bob Dugnutt" filter - Mizzurna Falls and Deadly Premonition being the two most notorious ones.

This is what happens when you take "Dale Cooper's coffee appreciation" and you paint it over with "Japanese game direction", for example:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/the-7-most-striking-similarities-between-twin-peak/

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 09:53 on Dec 13, 2022

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-41YUSZ9VAg

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Mr Volcott.

Your embedded link was not displaying the video.

So says, Mr Stewart.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

That Italian Guy posted:

Not really something that hasn't aged well, but that was weird from the get go: Japan's game industry fascination with Twin Peaks. Its Americana was already weird and out of time, so it was doubly so when filtered through the "Bob Dugnutt" filter - Mizzurna Falls and Deadly Premonition being the two most notorious ones.

This is what happens when you take "Dale Cooper's coffee appreciation" and you paint it over with "Japanese game direction", for example:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/the-7-most-striking-similarities-between-twin-peak/

Fun fact: It was actually a Twin Peaks game until pretty late in development. They lost the license so they redid it as Off-Brand Twin Peaks which still was really good.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

That Italian Guy posted:

Mr Volcott.

Your embedded link was not displaying the video.

So says, Mr Stewart.

Mr Guy,

Next time you must take a bit more time.

Please remember you have to rhyme.

So says, Mr Stewart

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Kchama posted:

Fun fact: It was actually a Twin Peaks game until pretty late in development. They lost the license so they redid it as Off-Brand Twin Peaks which still was really good.

It was never an official Twin Peaks game, it was a lot more obviously Twin Peaks inspired until the developers got sued and retooled the game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

ookiimarukochan posted:

It was never an official Twin Peaks game, it was a lot more obviously Twin Peaks inspired until the developers got sued and retooled the game.
SWERY claims to this day that he didn't see Twin Peaks until after Deadly Premonition came out. Sure, buddy, whatever you say. :allears:

Even though they had to change the game to be less of a Twin Peaks ripoff, they still managed to sneak in Laura Palmer's homecoming photo in Not Laura Palmer's bedroom in the final game:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite theory/explanation is that SWERY genuinely has never seen Twin Peaks. No, rather he's a fan of Georgia Coffee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3acm7j9k_1w

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Dec 15, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Deadly Premonition felt less like Twin Peaks and more like someone who had heard or read about Twin Peaks and seen a few pictures but maybe that's just me.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Nobody said it feels like a game a person who understood Twin Peaks made, just one who got excited by the aesthetic.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

By popular demand posted:

person who understood Twin Peaks

How many people could this be?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Twin Peaks is a story about how everyone who fucks dies so it's just sexless townies who didn't get to hang out in the mind palace left.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Volcott posted:

Twin Peaks is a story about how everyone who fucks dies so it's just sexless townies who didn't get to hang out in the mind palace left.

That is canonically false, we know that the sheriff's dispatch officer and the deputy hosed, and they lived a long and happy marriage.

Everyone else though, yeah, they're all dead.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of twin peaks, did anything ever come of that secret david lynch project for netflix that everyone assumed was going to be another twin peaks?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Randalor posted:

That is canonically false, we know that the sheriff's dispatch officer and the deputy hosed, and they lived a long and happy marriage.

Everyone else though, yeah, they're all dead.

There are a couple characters now wandering around in our universe, so that's fun!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Deadly Premonition felt less like Twin Peaks and more like someone who had heard or read about Twin Peaks and seen a few pictures but maybe that's just me.

I think he understood it just fine, considering he nailed it.

This is even true if he had only seen a few pictures and heard vaguely about it.

Also as far as I understand, 'lost the license' is less correct and more 'was refused it'. They were never sued or anything. It was more like Warcraft and Warhammer where they built a game and showed it off to get the license and got denied, so they just retooled it.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I love Twin Peaks as much as any other goth white lady but I'll go on record saying I unironically enjoy the storytelling of Deadly Premonition more. Most likely because there's one less James and one more Goku.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was watching the NYE Twilight Zone marathon and one thing that jumped out at me was how much the poor women actresses were just constantly manhandled on camera. Grabbed at the wrists and yanked around, dramatically shaken by the shoulders while some man says “can’t you seeeee Delores” I’m assuming this is how all people interacted back in the 60s.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

I was watching the NYE Twilight Zone marathon and one thing that jumped out at me was how much the poor women actresses were just constantly manhandled on camera. Grabbed at the wrists and yanked around, dramatically shaken by the shoulders while some man says “can’t you seeeee Delores” I’m assuming this is how all people interacted back in the 60s.

* slap * get a hold of yourself.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Mr Guy,

Next time you must take a bit more time.

Please remember you have to rhyme.

So says, Mr Stewart

So says who? And don't call me Mr Stewart.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

exquisite tea posted:

https://jezebel.com/i-dont-know-whether-to-kiss-you-or-spank-you-a-half-ce-1769140132

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I’m not going to say aspects of twilight zone aren’t dated, but I’d say over all it holds up pretty well.— though the one episode that really raised eyebrows I saw was when the two soldiers are the only people left on earth and they don’t speak the same language and the man kind of forces the woman soldier to fall in love with him.

Given the time it could be worse, but definitely kind of icky.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

exquisite tea posted:

God this was me last summer trying to watch clips from old Elvis movies from around the same time period. He's super rough with basically every love interest but I think it was supposed to come off as "romantic":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnRVEbL4UBg

I just love how one of the top comments is calling him "a very charming man" here when he basically just brute forced Nancy Sinatra into giving him a shot, lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ambitious Spider posted:

I’m not going to say aspects of twilight zone aren’t dated, but I’d say over all it holds up pretty well.— though the one episode that really raised eyebrows I saw was when the two soldiers are the only people left on earth and they don’t speak the same language and the man kind of forces the woman soldier to fall in love with him.

Given the time it could be worse, but definitely kind of icky.

The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street still slaps.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Blood Nightmaster posted:

God this was me last summer trying to watch clips from old Elvis movies from around the same time period. He's super rough with basically every love interest but I think it was supposed to come off as "romantic":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnRVEbL4UBg

I just love how one of the top comments is calling him "a very charming man" here when he basically just brute forced Nancy Sinatra into giving him a shot, lol

Watching that clip reminds me of one of the most influential notes I have received from a director. I was in a Gilbert & Sullivan production back in 2017 and I went into rehearsals with the idea that my character, a British Colonel, would be a little gruff and physical. I knew to not actually hit or pull anyone but I still ended up doing similar things as to what Elvis is doing in that clip and continued until our director gave me this note after one of our stumble-throughs:

"STOP PAWING AT THE LADIES!! I get it and I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong, but you are going to have to stop grabbing the girls' arms because it reads like you might be an abuser to the audience"

I mention this because it also made me stop and think and realise that, again, the only reason I was doing what I did was because it seemed "appropriate" for the scenes. That kind of behaviour had been normalized, in fact no one else in the production told me it felt inappropriate quite the opposite since I immediately asked my scene partners if I had gone too far that day and they were just as surprised by the sudden need to change it. However, it was a great thing for me because it made me realise that a lot of toxic behaviours are normalized and especially in film & theatre, so we end up perpetuating them without really realising that we can accomplish the same goals and not look as violent or angry.

Though honestly, watching old movies can always be a trip, I recall watching Mr. Smith Goes to Washington for the first time and thinking "wait a minute, we just had a montage dedicated to him finding every journalist that badmouthed him and he punches them, and he's not being charged with assault and battery?! Was that just something people could do in the 30s?"

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I recently watched some episodes of New Girl and I forgot how annoying it was that Jess clearly doesn't have lenses in her glasses, even when other characters do. Which I guess isn't an example of media not aging well.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

grittyreboot posted:

I recently watched some episodes of New Girl and I forgot how annoying it was that Jess clearly doesn't have lenses in her glasses, even when other characters do. Which I guess isn't an example of media not aging well.

Was there a character reason for that? I didn't stick with the show for more than a few episodes, and now I can't remember anything specific about it.

When I had my senior portraits taken, the photographer had me wear frames with no lenses so he didn't have to account for the reflections when we were shooting outside with natural light, but like...that's a single cam sitcom, it can't be a technical issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
It’s never acknowledged that she’s not wearing real glasses. I assume it was just a filming issue.