Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I gotta admit, I don't really get the point of the badass games. Did they truly not realize that Cornelius would obviously sweep the whole thing, or is it all a setup to prove some point?

The point is to examine the idea of masculinity, which is a theme that Achewood often touches on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Tree Bucket posted:

That green is beautiful.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

That last panel face is great

Absolutely the two best things about the series.

Chapter 2:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

vyelkin posted:

This comic in particular reminded me to once again recommend Kate Beaton's Ducks to anyone itt who hasn't read it yet, because this specific comic is definitely an early version of parts of her memoir and it's excellent.

Strongly seconding Ducks for what it's worth. Amazing autobio and astonishingly sad. I would like to trigger warning for sexual assault themes before anybody runs down to Barnes & Noble for it.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Yeah, I got a copy for Christmas. It is very good and also very brutal. I'm a cis het dude, so I don't have the kind of personal experience Beaton would have, but I feel like the absolutely omnipresent grinding and degrading atmosphere of that workplace environment/culture really comes through in the book.

Like, there's a bit where she gets dragged to a strip club by some coworkers. When she makes a pretty neutral comment about something one of the dancers is doing, the dudes she's sitting with all start dumping on her for being a bitchy buzzkill. You know, the dudes who dragged her there in the first place.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last volume, only 5 chapters left!

Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Joost catches the snakes, then uses his unparalleled body control (taught to him by Cepelis) to force the venom out of his blood! He uses heroin to send the snakes back at Dream, and leaves him to die as he goes to confront God!

Read right to left:

Volume 5 - God Bless You

Chapter 38 - Delete Chapter 3 3

Part 1 has a lot of these Joost/God side-by-sides, which I like

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt text: Homecoming

quote:

“Next I wyll speak on the Ymps, or Blue Devyls. Ymps are flymsy of Body but possesseth a Tongue most vyle and skylfull in the Art. The Blue Devyl possesseth Skin of nyght-hue, hyr Mask is royal, and hyr Blood is ebon. Ymps have a certyn Fondness for Lyquor and Vyce that suiteth a crafty Sum’ner well should he wysh to gayn Employment of these Fiends.”

– Thulsa Drulle’s Daemoniac Maleficum

Cio's a blue devil

Alt text: War Devils are for this reason among the most numerous and exist in diminished form throughout throne as demi-imps

quote:

“Next I wyll speak on those Devyls most pryzed and sought by Kyngs, Rulers, and those Fools who clasp for earthly Power. The Crymson Devyl, or War Devyl, is massyve of Form and Syze and myddlyng of Wyts. Hys Flesh is ebon or royal, he is well Furred, hys Mask sanguine, his Blood ebon. He hath powerful Fangs, Horns, or other natural Weaponry for whych to dysmember his Enemeys, for the war devyl is extremely fond of Vyolence. He is greatly pryzed in thys Matter, synce for the pay of a few bottles of Lyquor or feeble Trynkets he wyll dysmember well-trained Soldiers from Dusk until Dawn for he does not partake in Sleep. A sum’ner may consyder hym a dull Creature until they fynd he has exployted some Loophole in theyr Contract and feasts upon their Entrayls.”

-Thulsa Drulle’s Daemonica Maleficum’

e: shorter update this time for flow

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Jan 4, 2023

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Co Cola is probably my favorite character in Kill Six Billion Demons.

Or by her full name, Coca Cola.

edit: I don't think this comes up in the comic, but she has a cousin with a pretty good name, too https://killsixbilliondemons.tumblr.com/post/132611467260/does-cio-have-anyone-in-their-family-by-name-of

Chainclaw has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Jan 4, 2023

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON BACK

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Swanboy is delayed because Imgur keeps shrinking them and making them even more unreadable. Is there another easy to use host?

E: or someone tell me what I’m doing wrong, I am very dumb

RandolphCarter has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Jan 4, 2023

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

RandolphCarter posted:

Swanboy is ... even more unreadable.

Apparently God *can* make a stone so heavy he cannot lift it.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

RandolphCarter posted:

Swanboy is delayed because Imgur keeps shrinking them and making them even more unreadable. Is there another easy to use host?

E: or someone tell me what I’m doing wrong, I am very dumb
The Awful android app doesn't show you the full resolution image when you pick the display image option. If I share the image to imgurviewer or a browser it doesn't seem like there are any problems with the images you posted so far re. legibility.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Swanboy: Rona debuts

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

i dunno if there are multiple Ripley's Believe it or Not Museums but my parents took me to one as a kid when we were visiting family near Seattle. I remember thinking it was pretty cool.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's one in Copenhagen, which leads me to believe that they're quite ubiquitous.

E: like, downtown, across from the courthouse, right in the fuckin middle of the city, believe it or not

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 21:41 on Jan 4, 2023

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

This one's really good

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lucky naughty Ouroboy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Early Swan Boy really was something special. It's still good, but just not quite at that level.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

My favorite swan boy is actually pretty late in the run (the Kart Racing Saga)

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

My favorite swan boy is actually pretty late in the run (the Kart Racing Saga)

Same.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Turtie Needs Work

That's it for Turtie, unfortunately. The same author, Steve Wolfhard, also did 'Cat Rackham' http://koyamapress.com/projects/cat-rackham/ which doesn't seem to be online anymore.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

fritz posted:

That's it for Turtie, unfortunately.

I accidentally missed the previous update, so my entire Turtie experience consisted of finding out the comic exists, spending about a minute enjoying it, then being sad to find out it had ended. Oh well.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

I accidentally missed the previous update, so my entire Turtie experience consisted of finding out the comic exists, spending about a minute enjoying it, then being sad to find out it had ended. Oh well.

This is also most people's experience of actual turtles, they have notoriously short lifespans.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The point is to examine the idea of masculinity, which is a theme that Achewood often touches on.

it also comes right after the great outdoor fight, a story about a lot of things, but in part a meditation on how the valorized ideas of masculinity that gen-x Onstad grew up with are, in actuality, depressing and pitiable (shades of Mad Men tbh)

reading the comic as a secular crisis of faith in midcentury popular masculinity, the badass games feels like a coda where the author finds and expresses the source of that crisis: the loss of thoughtful gentility in favor of michelob-fueled violent chaos

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

fritz posted:

Turtie Needs Work

That's it for Turtie, unfortunately. The same author, Steve Wolfhard, also did 'Cat Rackham' http://koyamapress.com/projects/cat-rackham/ which doesn't seem to be online anymore.

Oh poo poo, Cat Rackham! I remember that, pity we can't do a reread.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

the holy poopacy posted:

This is also most people's experience of actual turtles, they have notoriously short lifespans.

the candle that burns half as fast burns twice as fast

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Uramachi Sakaba

Reiwa 8 is the year 2026 AD

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I obviously get the authorial intent of the Badass Games, and am insincerely puzzled at the characters' motivations thereof, suggesting that they are secretly scheming to celebrate Cornelius after reflecting on how being Tight Since Childhood turned out to be stronger than any kind of machismo in the wake of the Great Outdoor Fight.

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Jan 5, 2023

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I obviously get the authorial intent of the Badass Games, and am insincerely puzzled at the characters' motivations thereof, suggesting that they are secretly scheming to celebrate Cornelius after reflecting on how being Tight Since Childhood turned out to be stronger than any kind of machismo in the wake of the Great Outdoor Fight.

They all wanna prove they’re the biggest badass, that’s all. None of them have the perspective to realize that of course it’s gonna be Cornelius, because he doesn’t fit the mold they have in their head of what a badass is supposed to look and act like

I don’t remember if there’s any specific intention behind it from Ray or Roast Beef, but having this follow after the GOF and the previous arc is pretty fitting

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 00:07 on Jan 5, 2023

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kit Walker posted:

They all wanna prove they’re the biggest badass, that’s all. None of them have the perspective to realize that of course it’s gonna be Cornelius, because he doesn’t fit the mold they have in their head of what a badass is supposed to look and act like
yeah, think like Ray, and like Vlad, and like Lyle, and to a much lesser extent like that piece of poo poo Teodor why was he even in this arc, they obviously all think they're the most badass (and thus, in Ray's case, qualified to judge)

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
The only justification I needed for the badass games arc is the line it starts with:

quote:

Every man believes that, given the right provocations, his innate skills will emerge and he will be capable of tremendous feats.

This is utterly true for every man for at least a small portion of his life.

Anyways time for an extremely not masculine comic: Drop-Out

Livin that sad fat idiot life, very familiar to me.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

These skills are why the king hired him.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut Butler posted:

it also comes right after the great outdoor fight, a story about a lot of things, but in part a meditation on how the valorized ideas of masculinity that gen-x Onstad grew up with are, in actuality, depressing and pitiable (shades of Mad Men tbh)

reading the comic as a secular crisis of faith in midcentury popular masculinity, the badass games feels like a coda where the author finds and expresses the source of that crisis: the loss of thoughtful gentility in favor of michelob-fueled violent chaos

Appreciating this post

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

e-dt posted:

THE BADASS GAMES COMMENCE

Round One: Cornelius Bear

Cornelius has done more time than POPCORN

Happy 31rd Birthday Chis Onsteadt! -- Sincerely, The Home Mortgage Pro's

The Badass Games are amazing, especially the final prize

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

HELL, FL #46

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

These are the four cars that define a man's soul

Who better to symbolize Father's Day than Magnus Intactus

Cornelius also has a field trip van with clerestory windows

The monogrammed hankies ploy is calculated to get Cornelius over in a hurry.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

e-dt posted:

These are the four cars that define a man's soul

Who better to symbolize Father's Day than Magnus Intactus

Cornelius also has a field trip van with clerestory windows

The monogrammed hankies ploy is calculated to get Cornelius over in a hurry.

The raddest bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
that's another aspect I'd forgotten: Cornelius is so loving manly that he wins without showboating or even exerting himself.

this

is

a homeboy.