Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
*sighs* fine, I’ll buy Blades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I have no experience with Vinegar Syndrome, is it pretty much required that you buy stuff right away, do their releases typically sell out and go out of print? I have a feeling of obligation to buy From Beyond but man, $40+ is pretty rough considering I already have a nice Shout Factory blu ray that I've always been very happy with. I'd love to maybe wait a while and see if I can get it cheaper in a sale or something.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
VS’s releases are usually on par with Criterion or Shout imo in terms of care and extras. And yeah, VS releases do go out of print somewhat faster than Shout because they only do set quantities for certain editions. Doesn’t mean everything will 100% go out of print immediately, but I’d expect something relatively popular like From Beyond to be a big seller.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/goji_guy/status/1610428032702980097?s=20&t=W0Rr6pvwQnWNJUQzMZaRkA

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

holy moly, these scanner cop films are sequels to scanners? ordered!

and there were two more sequels prior to these?!?!? gotta find them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Scanner Cop 1&2 are great schlock, but I was mostly bored by Scanners 2&3. You can watch the Scanner Cops without seeing the other sequels and they’re both far superior.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Scanner Cop 1&2 are great schlock, but I was mostly bored by Scanners 2&3. You can watch the Scanner Cops without seeing the other sequels and they’re both far superior.

good to know--thanks.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

I have no experience with Vinegar Syndrome, is it pretty much required that you buy stuff right away, do their releases typically sell out and go out of print? I have a feeling of obligation to buy From Beyond but man, $40+ is pretty rough considering I already have a nice Shout Factory blu ray that I've always been very happy with. I'd love to maybe wait a while and see if I can get it cheaper in a sale or something.

Most likely all of the new stuff will not sell out before the next sale. I think From Beyond will be safe because it's just a slipcover edition not a fancy limited box. Even if the slipcover sells out there will still be a standard edition too.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
The majority of VS and partner releases have standard editions unless they say otherwise.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

They'll usually state in the description that there is a limited quantity and there won't be another run (IE, the VSA releases), for the most part things that go OOP are the slip covers. I would fully expect From Beyond to be around until a liscense needs to be renegotiated, but there will only be 7,000 of the slipcovers.

Typically their releases don't go on sale in the first 6 months, so From Beyond, if it does go on sale, wouldn't be until November, and I know you can't wait that long :lol:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Do the scanner cops hunt down scanners, or are they scanners themselves? Or both??

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Both!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

tonedef131 posted:

Happened to me last night watching Miami Connection with a couple buddies.

Looking forward to rewatching that as I picked up the 4K from them over Xmas. There’s a really fun RiffTrax Live of it too that’s worth hunting down.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
haven't seen scanner cops 3 but scanner cops 2 is truly amazing and "feel good" in a weird way.

but don't get them from VS get them from Amazon where they're like 1/2 the price

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

worms butthole guy posted:

haven't seen scanner cops 3 but scanner cops 2 is truly amazing and "feel good" in a weird way.

but don't get them from VS get them from Amazon where they're like 1/2 the price

Scanners 2 and Scanners 3 are different from Scanner Cop and Scanner Cop 2.

The series goes:
Scanners
Scanners 2: The New Order
Scanners 3: The Takeover
Scanner Cop
Scanner Cop 2

The double pack on Amazon is the old Shout Scanners 2/3.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Basebf555 posted:

Their business model, like a lot of these labels, orbits around the Sun of FoMO. Without it, they'll go out of business.

I'm not being snarky. Go to 24:27 in this interview with Kino's Acquisitions chief Frank Tarzi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfFCws4M_gg

I sincerely wish everyone had the ability like Criterion to not have to do titty twister poo poo to make people buy, but they don't. That whole interview is very informative. Tarzi also posits that a good chunk of these labels will die off in the next five-ish years due to attrition. I have no problem believing that. They're making hay while the Sun shines and it's mid-afternoon.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

pwn posted:

Their business model, like a lot of these labels, orbits around the Sun of FoMO. Without it, they'll go out of business.

I'm not being snarky. Go to 24:27 in this interview with Kino's Acquisitions chief Frank Tarzi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfFCws4M_gg

I sincerely wish everyone had the ability like Criterion to not have to do titty twister poo poo to make people buy, but they don't. That whole interview is very informative. Tarzi also posits that a good chunk of these labels will die off in the next five-ish years due to attrition. I have no problem believing that. They're making hay while the Sun shines and it's mid-afternoon.

I saw this a while back, it's interesting but pretty much what you already assumed happens, happens.

Also, that dude is as guilty as any of them, he explains that they started relying on limited print runs of slipcovers to combat people waiting for sales and not pre-ordering. Can't exactly throw stones if you're milking the same people.

pwn
May 27, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

I saw this a while back, it's interesting but pretty much what you already assumed happens, happens.

Also, that dude is as guilty as any of them, he explains that they started relying on limited print runs of slipcovers to combat people waiting for sales and not pre-ordering. Can't exactly throw stones if you're milking the same people.

That's literally the exact point I was making? I'm saying, most of these labels do this to drive sales. I pointed to the time stamp and everything

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Scanners 2 and Scanners 3 are different from Scanner Cop and Scanner Cop 2.

The series goes:
Scanners
Scanners 2: The New Order
Scanners 3: The Takeover
Scanner Cop
Scanner Cop 2

The double pack on Amazon is the old Shout Scanners 2/3.

Ya I meant Scanner Cop sorry lol. Scanner Cop 1 owns. Never seen Scanners 2/3 or SC3

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/synapsefilms/status/1610707178997923860?s=46&t=oT2LsxMf3-27UYeUNk4zxw

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

pwn posted:

That's literally the exact point I was making? I'm saying, most of these labels do this to drive sales. I pointed to the time stamp and everything

it was more in reply to just this statement:

quote:

Tarzi also posits that a good chunk of these labels will die off in the next five-ish years due to attrition

hence his they will die off in five years thing comes off like KL isn't a boutique too, it is.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Man I'm tired of Arrow's bullshit. First the packaging for Sailor Suit and Machine Gun promises zaniness for a movie that is not very zany at all, then the packaging for The Sacred Spirit promises a trippy sci-fi story for a movie that is EXTREMELY not that.

On the other hand, their Ju-on set leaves no doubt as to what kind of movies they are.

The only gripe I have is that no one seems to ever include the short films that accompany the main narrative.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just saw an ad for a site called gruv? Never heard of it but they're running a 3 for 30 on a bunch of random 4k titles.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Does the VS model prey on people’s FOMO? Yeah I guess so, to an extent, but the print runs are large enough that if you really want something you’re afforded ample opportunity to grab it - and they are printing more now than they were before. Plus they limit the number of buyers for each title… and if you don’t care about the slipcovers, you can just wait for a sale. I guess I just don’t see what the problem is? I don’t think they’re beyond reproach but I’ve always had great dealings with them, and I’ve only ever missed out on one thing I really wanted: partner label release of a Jess Franco film with a run of 1000. And if anyone in this thread has Je Brûle De Partout please send it to me - for free - thanks in advance.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

PinkoBastard posted:

Does the VS model prey on people’s FOMO? Yeah I guess so, to an extent, but the print runs are large enough that if you really want something you’re afforded ample opportunity to grab it - and they are printing more now than they were before.

In that same interview linked above the KL guy mentions the print run of the slipcovers being 5,000-10,000, which isn't that far off from VS doing 8000..gotta assume those are average runs for all of these labels.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

PinkoBastard posted:

Does the VS model prey on people’s FOMO? Yeah I guess so, to an extent, but the print runs are large enough that if you really want something you’re afforded ample opportunity to grab it - and they are printing more now than they were before. Plus they limit the number of buyers for each title… and if you don’t care about the slipcovers, you can just wait for a sale. I guess I just don’t see what the problem is? I don’t think they’re beyond reproach but I’ve always had great dealings with them, and I’ve only ever missed out on one thing I really wanted: partner label release of a Jess Franco film with a run of 1000. And if anyone in this thread has Je Brûle De Partout please send it to me - for free - thanks in advance.

hey i already called the free copies of Je Brûle De Partout

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I consider the slipcovers a bonus for ordering rad movies as soon as they come out :shrug:

Like, was I going to "wait for a sale" for Tammy and the T-Rex? Hell no!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't begrudge a small company like that using something like a slip cover to entice people to preorder. I don't think that's out of bounds at all. Like I said I don't have any experience ordering from VS so I just wanted to know the lay of the land a little bit.

In this case I'll probably just bite the bullet and preorder, I really don't want to risk getting caught without any way to own the movie on UHD. It's a rare situation though, most other movies I'd just wait for a sale and roll the dice.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Kingtheninja posted:

Just saw an ad for a site called gruv? Never heard of it but they're running a 3 for 30 on a bunch of random 4k titles.

It's legit, I believe it's Universal official store but I've bought from there before

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Kingtheninja posted:

I’ve also bought titles from gruv and never had any issues. It’s legit.

pwn
May 27, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

it was more in reply to just this statement:

hence his they will die off in five years thing comes off like KL isn't a boutique too, it is.

Gotcha. Personally I think they're in a stronger position but I would only bet sure money on Criterion and Arrow being around in 2030.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

Gruv is Universal's distro, it's legit but keep in mind they don't have consistent shipping or customer service. I ordered the second Hitchcock 4k collection from them last March and they shipped it securely in a box; later in the year, I ordered the first Hitchcock 4k collection from them and they shipped it in an envelope and it was banged up. After haggling with customer service they grudgingly resolved it by sending a replacement... in an envelope, again banged up. I sold them in SA mart and in fact just bought a copy from a private seller on eBay tonight, who will hopefully care to box it up. Came with a Hitch book too, that's neat.

That said I have bought several other times from Gruv without incident. If you're buying things that can better withstand mailing or don't care about that as much as I do, I'd say go for it. Just go in with knowledge!

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Blades is so specifically my kind of stupid that it’s a must have

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Vinegar Syndrome is only in danger if people like us ever get tired of buying trashy movies. They're not raking in the megabux putting out Let My Puppets Come and Hot and Saucy Pizza Girls, they're never going to move Criterion numbers but they don't need to. They just need weirdos to keep buying what they're selling.

pwn
May 27, 2004

PinkoBastard posted:

I don't think it's a problem, per se, just that it's what they're doing to drive initial pre-sales. To my lizard collector brain I prefer knowing that I can get the same edition now or in five years, which I generally get from Criterion. No slips, no fomo, it's either in print or it's not and they tend to keep stuff in print for a long while. Again, I understand the whys and whats that other smaller labels have to resort to gimmicks, and I hate that I want those gimmicks. It's just the way it is

zer0spunk posted:

In that same interview linked above the KL guy mentions the print run of the slipcovers being 5,000-10,000, which isn't that far off from VS doing 8000..gotta assume those are average runs for all of these labels.

Yeah the print runs are opaque. One thing I like about Indicator's model, at least for the fancier deluxe boxes, they print the number and edition on them.

One thing that irks me about them is the whole reverse print thing... only the limited edition has a booklet and reversible cover. Cool, I get it, the booklet costs extra to produce and printing on both sides necessarily doubles that cost too. But then the standard edition DOES have printing on the reverse, but just an advertisement for their titles! You're spending the money to print anyway!! :tizzy:

Goddamn does their poo poo look nice though.

King Vidiot posted:

Vinegar Syndrome is only in danger if people like us ever get tired of buying trashy movies. They're not raking in the megabux putting out Let My Puppets Come and Hot and Saucy Pizza Girls, they're never going to move Criterion numbers but they don't need to. They just need weirdos to keep buying what they're selling.

At some point they gotta run out of trash, though, right

right??

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

pwn posted:

I don't think it's a problem, per se, just that it's what they're doing to drive initial pre-sales. To my lizard collector brain I prefer knowing that I can get the same edition now or in five years, which I generally get from Criterion. No slips, no fomo, it's either in print or it's not and they tend to keep stuff in print for a long while. Again, I understand the whys and whats that other smaller labels have to resort to gimmicks, and I hate that I want those gimmicks. It's just the way it is

I get what you’re saying! And actually I agree. I don’t covet the exclusivity of slipcovers (or movies), I just think they’re cool, and would be fine if they remained in print and remained an option for everyone to buy indefinitely.

pwn posted:

right??

Sincerely: No

and especially not at this point since they’re casting
an ever-wider net. Cat III, HK action, Drop Dead Fred etc etc

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

pwn posted:

right??

They've got the rights to Nightdreams and Cafe Flesh, so they're not allowed to stop until they find a print of those to restore and put out.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

King Vidiot posted:

I'm really hoping there's a 4k of Hot and Saucy Pizza Girls in the future, I already have the DVD, and the "5 Years, 5 Films" Blu-Ray, just give me that triple dip of some real good pizza.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

They've got the rights to Nightdreams and Cafe Flesh, so they're not allowed to stop until they find a print of those to restore and put out.

I'd buy an Andrew Blake collection so drat fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Today's VS 10 for $10:

On Her Bed of Roses/The Incredible Sex Revolution
Hot Flashes
Afternoon Delights/Slave of Pleasure
Disconnected
The 11th Commandment
Golden Arm
Killer's Delight