Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Good Idea: Playing Souls games on your platform of choice
Bad Idea: Bringing up Souls games on the Something Awful forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cowcaster posted:

how am i the butthurt one here

stux is agreeing with you

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

how am i the butthurt one here
literally all you said was "sekiro is different from souls, like DMC is different from zelda" and that was enough to launch essays from the people who, by the way? they're laughing actually. not melting down

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

stux is an argument hypeman. it's fine

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

good, i like stux

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

just to add, Armored Core (1, at least) also has an inverse of dragonrot where the more you game over the easier the game becomes, I personally prefer Sekiro to the Souls games because the build diversity without free respecs just makes it a bit grindy to me and it's unclear when you need that grind or when you just need to "git gud", but Armored Core actually does all of these things perfectly from the very first entry

Somewhat. It wasn't a very long game either, which is why most people who play AC1 call playthroughs "runs" and such. That's a fair criticism of the souls games though, it really did take until Elden Ring for them to add a respec mechanic and I feel like they only did it because the game is so goddamn long and the caps on item scaling are way up there.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I was hoping posters getting ultra-butthurt when their favourite game faces any sort of criticism would be something we'd leave in 2022, but lol

my criticism: i am not good enough at the game and thaht is a flaw with the game, for some reason.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i liked Sekiro but it frustrated me to the point of intense irritation so I just shoved on a literal game trainer and 1 shot everything, i completely cheated myself out of "the experience" by doing this but i'd rather do it that way than give up halfway through and never look at it again

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
ds2 has respecs

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So we got dark souls 2, marauders, tired git gud posts, what’s next for the new steam thread speedrun

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

protip: you can use whatever cheatengine trainer or mods you want on a pc and you don't need anyone else's approval

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

So we got dark souls 2, marauders, tired git gud posts, what’s next for the new steam thread speedrun

Cuphead is racist

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Cuphead is racist

Go on

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

was that a real thing??

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Hollow Knight is good & also a Souls game, just like Sekiro.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

we already had "is this game too anime", so i guess next would be "here's my steam sales haul". here's my steam/eshop sales haul

Cruelty Squad
Astalon
Gedonia
Dread Delusion
My Time at Sandrock
Ctrl-Alt-Ego
Courier of the Crypts
Super Sami Roll
Overboard!
FAR: Lone Sails (Switch)
Transiruby (Switch)
Picross S: Sega Genesis (Switch)

was that a real thing??
There's a belief (which I don't subscribe to) that if you are influenced by an art style then you have to accept all the baggage that comes with it, such as the racism of the cartoons that were drawn in that style originally in the 30s. this was traded around in a couple of thinkpieces and social medias and then there was a big cohost post piggybacking off of that to talk about the appropriation and racist baggage that Sable inherits by being inspired by Moebius

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 4, 2023

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

cowcaster is right

it's not a souls game

not sure what the confusion is all about

Sekiro doesnt have stamina and, thus, is not a Souls game

simple as

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
the quake 3 rail hitbox should be 50m wide so i can hit people more consistently. its failure to do so is a serious game design fail.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh i think i see the confusion here, me saying sekiro doesn't have stat allotments and equipment and character customization wasn't supposed to be an implied "get good" that was me saying sekiro doesn't have stat allotments and equipment and character customization because it's not supposed to be a souls game

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

was that a real thing??

https://www.polygon.com/22937541/the-cuphead-show-interview-racism-animation-history

https://kotaku.com/its-impossible-to-separate-cuphead-from-the-era-that-in-1820365021

https://unwinnable.com/2017/11/10/cuphead-and-the-racist-spectre-of-fleischer-animation/

https://www.ggrecon.com/articles/the-cuphead-show-producer-discussess-racist-animation/

https://www.gazettextra.com/blogs/s...9c22d04049.html

https://netflixjunkie.com/netflixs-...ly-problematic/

Most insufferable debate in gaming imo

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cowcaster posted:

oh i think i see the confusion here, me saying sekiro doesn't have stat allotments and equipment and character customization wasn't supposed to be an implied "get good" that was me saying sekiro doesn't have stat allotments and equipment and character customization because it's not supposed to because it's not supposed to be a souls game

Cool, and therefore doesn't justify it's difficulty is what I'm saying.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the best debates in gaming are is cuphead racist, should dark souls have an easy mode, is titty armor sexist, and does playing counter strike make you complicit in war crimes

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the best debates in gaming are is cuphead racist, should dark souls have an easy mode, is titty armor sexist, and does playing counter strike make you complicit in war crimes

I misread that middle one as "is my armor sexist?" and I thought you had slipped in the funniest bit before I re-read this

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Specifically, the argument goes that Cuphead is problematic because it isn't racist, while using an art style inspired by things that were racist.

It always struck me as odd because it's like... what were they supposed to do? It's just a platformer, there isn't really room for a nuanced exploration of a thorny topic like that.

Really, it's just people wanting to say "HEY DID YOU KNOW OLD CARTOONS ARE SUPER RACIST" and using Cuphead as an excuse to do so.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

My personal favorite was the one that came from this very board: "Everyone who completed the main quest in this WoW expansion is a neo-nazi and should have their accounts banned for being neo-nazis."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I think it probably does justify its difficulty since a lot of people love it and have beaten it (including our very own VideoGames), it is highly acclaimed and was second place in SA's GOTY vote of 2019. idk what justifying even means in this context. the game expects you to meet it at its level. there are plenty of challenging games out there like that. if i think of games that don't justify their difficulty, i'd say that, like, if Lil Gator Game suddenly had a 90 minute endurance section with spikes/lava everywhere where you start over on death, that would not be very justified in what is otherwise a very chill and family-friendly game. sekiro is a challenging game that is about honing and perfecting a skill and then executing it. what is out of place about the difficulty?

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 4, 2023

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

where are all the thinkpieces about hypnospace outlaw dealing with its racist inspirations because stormfront was a website

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Silent Hill 2 is entirely about male circumcision

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

:hmmyes:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

that's not a debate.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

kind of like picking up what i think is a devil may cry and finding out it's a zelda, this is an entirely different argument than the one i expected. i think it's justified, myself.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

The 7th Guest posted:

I think it probably does justify its difficulty since a lot of people love it and have beaten it (including our very own VideoGames), it is highly acclaimed and was second place in SA's GOTY vote of 2019. idk what justifying even means in this context. the game expects you to meet it at its level. there are plenty of challenging games out there like that. if i think of games that don't justify their difficulty, i'd say that, like, if Lil Gator Game suddenly had a 90 minute endurance section with spikes/lava everywhere where you start over on death, that would not be very justified in what is otherwise a very chill and family-friendly game. sekiro is a challenging game that is about honing and perfecting a skill and then executing it. what is out of place about the difficulty?

it doesnt justify it becuasue that poster has tied themself into a little knot that the only way difficulty is fair is if there are ways to circumvent it, and as previous from soft games had that, anything that deviates is therefor, illegitimatelyt and unfairly diffcult. its a particularly advanced form of cope.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I am so sorry to provoke soulslike arguments, I did not intend to. :sweatdrop:

Instead I'll report: I'm having a good time with Dark Souls 2! I'm also having a good time reading up this interview on DS2's troubled development and it's fascinating. I did not know it wasn't a) directed by the main dude in charge of the series, b) had to swap directors halfway through so they had to shuffle a lot, and c) originally seemed to be much more comedic than you'd think a Dark Souls game would be?

Very strange, but it makes the Giants Forest area more sensible, with how... brightly green it is, almost fantasy stereotype with your little tin men zombies and trolls and so on. I'm almost reminded of Illbleed for some reason.

I mean, I'm still dying and having a ton of fun poking my head around corners - or this. Going here and getting stomped while I learn to fight very large dudes is lots of fun, mostly because it's GORGEOUS.

Shoutout to the bloodstain photobombing me

also to how goddamn ugly I am thanks to repeated deaths to these big knights

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
this is ironic bcos its actually the most fair game theyve ever made as every single encounter is designed with a single playstyle in mind and you cannot come across any boss or area which is a hard counter to your build as u dont have one. its just also very hard.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Stux posted:

also sekiro does have difficulty modes. you are already playing on easy lol

Easy is unlocked when you beat NG

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Stux posted:

it doesnt justify it becuasue that poster has tied themself into a little knot that the only way difficulty is fair is if there are ways to circumvent it, and as previous from soft games had that, anything that deviates is therefor, illegitimatelyt and unfairly diffcult. its a particularly advanced form of cope.

this but phrased in a nicer less aggressive way

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's just a lil confusing to me, I don't even go super nerdy for From games, DS2 and Elden Ring are the only two i've ever played all the way to completion. this argument just seems like going on American Ninja Warrior and asking them why they can't add trampolines

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

The 7th Guest posted:

Well, because every other FROM game has ways to mitigate it's difficulty and it's what I like about their games. That was literally my original post man. It's not great seeing FROM put out a game that goes completely against the grain so hard they intentionally chose to not include any of the stuff I like about their games. The fact that a mech sim, a first person dungeon crawler and a third person action RPG can all be known for being very hard, but also being very manageable, and then you have "oh also there's a game that keeps the difficulty of the other things in our catalogue, but doesn't have any of the stuff for getting past that difficulty, a thing we're known for" then I just don't really see the purpose of it. You might as well just let people have an easy mode so they can enjoy it as well, since you're not providing the usual FROM methods to mitigate the difficulty. So I dunno what you want from me, I really like FROM games and the first six hours I've had with Sekiro is basically counter to everything I like about their games, it makes more sense if they just had an easy mode, since they seem more interested in telling a story and having cinematic boss fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Sekiro is a good game, I should play it again.