Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Sorry, no one wants Chipz. :lol:

I hear there’s always a glut of them on Reverb. Cre8 should probably be fined for generating e-waste at this point.

there are but that's because no coward wants to list one for $36.99 plus $10 s/h, which I probably will. There's a bunch, but they're all $50 (plus s&h) and up.

the person who bought my cellz already has one, but they have plans for this one, which involve taking it apart, and a Dremel tool. I wish them success on their project but the world will be a better place even if they fail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Oh gently caress off TE, Pelican is so far ahead of your game that you can't see them due to the curvature of the earth.

https://www.pelican.com/jp/ja/product/mobile-military-cases/field-desk/mobile-office/472-fld-desk-ta

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Go old skool and get a military surplus field desk
https://colemans.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=field+desk

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

How do people build up tracker tracks? Like right now I have one chain with two patterns that I've repeated ABAB for two bars. I don't really have anything in my head that wants to come out. Should I fill in percussion next, keep mutating bass patterns to fill out the chain, figure out a melody or a fourth thing I can't even think of?
https://soundcloud.com/tvvo/3-audio...=social_sharing

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 4, 2023

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

How do people build up tracker tracks? Like right now I have one chain with two patterns that I've repeated ABAB for two bars. I don't really have anything in my head that wants to come out. Should I fill in percussion next, keep mutating bass patterns to fill out the chain, figure out a melody or a fourth thing I can't even think of?
https://soundcloud.com/tvvo/3-audio-2-2023-01-03-175430

If you find the answer, let me know.

In my experience, trackers - or Renoise, at least - promote composing horizontally complex tracks as opposed to vertically complex tracks. Which is to say, tracks with a lot of layers and voices that all riff off the same single 2-or-4-bar melody or drum loop. So what would usually happen in your case (for example) is that you’d add a melody track, a counter melody track, a chord track, a drone track, a pad track, an arp track, an FX track with bells and whistles, a bunch of random poo poo. Then you’d repeat patterns 0 and 1 a bunch while changing what layers are on at what time. This is an example of that principle.

It’s a very acid/house/techno approach to composition, and is vastly different from classical composition. Like the kind on sheet music. I find it very opinionated - I like Renoise, but I also know I ain’t gonna write chamber music with it and that it’s gonna funnel me towards house, breakbeat, and techno. Which I don’t always want to make…

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 4, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's what I've been doing. Fill up 4 tracks (plus two for percussion) with stuff that sounds kinda fun together and get a 4 to 8 bar loop going. Leaves two tracks for emergency needs down the line.

Then turn tracks on and off at different times to try and keep stuff moving. Eventually it's gonna need something else like some filter modulation or a modification to the main riff but that's a future me problem.

Getting that initial loop is insanely quick with a tracker. The rigid grid supports it well.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Well la-tee-da look at you all, having more than 4 sound channels. I'm trying to work with the highly limited LSDJ for a little while still.
I figured out that my emulator gives me mute control over the 4 sound channels so I can potentially do some neat track mutes or multi track out without having to change my song screen structure.
Does Renoise take gamepad input? I'm getting real used to punching in notes with A button and D-pad.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cabbages and Kings posted:

there are but that's because no coward wants to list one for $36.99 plus $10 s/h, which I probably will. There's a bunch, but they're all $50 (plus s&h) and up.

the person who bought my cellz already has one, but they have plans for this one, which involve taking it apart, and a Dremel tool. I wish them success on their project but the world will be a better place even if they fail

I'd have a tough time saying no to a cheap oscillator. I like to make my stuff ugly anyway, and I'd figure the LFO is worth that price on its own. Worth the HP though?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does Renoise take gamepad input? I'm getting real used to punching in notes with A button and D-pad.

This is the part where I tell you about the Dirtywave M8. If you like LSDJ you'll love the M8.

(and yes the four track limit on LSDJ is part of the charm, can use the same approach just gotta get the most out of what's there)

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

xzzy posted:

This is the part where I tell you about the Dirtywave M8. If you like LSDJ you'll love the M8.

(and yes the four track limit on LSDJ is part of the charm, can use the same approach just gotta get the most out of what's there)

I like money and not waiting on line even more tho.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

B33rChiller posted:

I'd have a tough time saying no to a cheap oscillator. I like to make my stuff ugly anyway, and I'd figure the LFO is worth that price on its own. Worth the HP though?

its only worth the HP if you have plenty of HP to spare. it left my case as soon as i ran out of space

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Sorry, no one wants Chipz. :lol:

I hear there’s always a glut of them on Reverb. Cre8 should probably be fined for generating e-waste at this point.

They are in fact recycling existing e-waste

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

what format is the one that's not eurorack?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

B33rChiller posted:

Both euro, just different image sizes

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

B33rChiller posted:

Frac

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

B33rChiller posted:

CatBlack posted:

its only worth the HP if you have plenty of HP to spare. it left my case as soon as i ran out of space

I gotta agree with catblack here. I actually have the space to re-rack it right now, but I'm just leaving blanks installed because I want a Befaco CV thing eventually and I'd just rip it out then. You get one LFO that works fine but doesn't go to especially low rates of speed, and two different fairly terrible sounding oscillators which like to detune a bit all on their own. I will say they are sort of uniquely terrible sounding compared to anything else I've come up with, and, also, of course running them through an E520 hyperion can give some very sweet sounds, but, I can fart into that thing and make it sound good.

I'd do $35 shipped for you, especially if you were willing to use it in your March submission :lsd:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Pollyanna posted:

If you find the answer, let me know.

In my experience, trackers - or Renoise, at least - promote composing horizontally complex tracks as opposed to vertically complex tracks.

Not really sure why - especially in Renoise the track arranger is very vertical in a quite literal sense. Even still though, plenty of tracker music, traditionally so, is and was quite complex in all senses of the word.

Here's "Catch that Goblin" by Skaven, done in Scream Tracker in 1995 (the video has this playing in Impulse Tracker but the file is a .s3m). This basically sounds like the score to any number of cartoons, and is quite orchestral: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAcWkfww30I

Note the use of pattern commands to speed up and slow down for transitions!

Here is Aphex Twin's "Vordhosbn", minus the drum parts, composed apparently in ProPlayer (Aphex himself released this video on the Warp records website a few years ago): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAZo7x83it4

Venetian Snares composing for Eurorack in Renoise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbLt0S0W5jE

I think the issue mainly is that composing multi part songs is the hard part. It's absolutely the hardest part of making music.

One thing I do think is lacking from making Tracker music today is there is no cohesive scene/repository. Back when I started writing tracker music, there were dial in BBSs specializing in the tracker scene, and you'd just download the .mods, later .ft's and .s3m's, and just, look at what they did. You can actually still do that with a ton of old MODs at the Mod Archive. For instance, "Catch that Goblin" that I posted earlier is available here: https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=34654 - and you can open .s3m's (or .mod, .it, etc) in Renoise and just, look at how it's done.

toadee fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 4, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's not specific to the tracker scene though, is it? There's not really a repository for much of anything, unless one counts the endless sample and preset packs that people trying to make a living sell on their websites.

I guess patchstorage.com might be the closest, but it has relatively poor submissions (like 60% of the site is vcv patches).

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

They are in fact recycling existing e-waste

What's wrong with those? My partner got me the white one for Christmas, I haven't hooked it up yet because I'm hyper focusing my hobby time on something else right now (Sega Genesis homebrew game).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

toadee posted:

Not really sure why - especially in Renoise the track arranger is very vertical in a quite literal sense. Even still though, plenty of tracker music, traditionally so, is and was quite complex in all senses of the word.

Here's "Catch that Goblin" by Skaven, done in Scream Tracker in 1995 (the video has this playing in Impulse Tracker but the file is a .s3m). This basically sounds like the score to any number of cartoons, and is quite orchestral: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAcWkfww30I

Note the use of pattern commands to speed up and slow down for transitions!

Here is Aphex Twin's "Vordhosbn", minus the drum parts, composed apparently in ProPlayer (Aphex himself released this video on the Warp records website a few years ago): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAZo7x83it4

Venetian Snares composing for Eurorack in Renoise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbLt0S0W5jE

I think the issue mainly is that composing multi part songs is the hard part. It's absolutely the hardest part of making music.

One thing I do think is lacking from making Tracker music today is there is no cohesive scene/repository. Back when I started writing tracker music, there were dial in BBSs specializing in the tracker scene, and you'd just download the .mods, later .ft's and .s3m's, and just, look at what they did. You can actually still do that with a ton of old MODs at the Mod Archive. For instance, "Catch that Goblin" that I posted earlier is available here: https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=34654 - and you can open .s3m's (or .mod, .it, etc) in Renoise and just, look at how it's done.

Fair enough. I’m no tracker guru, and I’m still a beginner composer/arranger.

I suppose it boils down to a couple things, older trackers having a somewhat limited track count (especially so in LSDJ) and music just flat out being easier to write horizontally. I’ve only ever used Renoise aside from an old attempt at Famitracker, and it’s so easy to just write a 2-bar beat and bassline and copy it everywhere to fill up at least two minutes. I rarely end up with more than 3 or 4 unique patterns in my pattern sequencer, and it always ends up looking like 00000000010122220101222201010101 etc. It ends up not(?) being repetitive because the difference between them all is which tracks are muted and which aren’t. It’s not a great way to write, but at least I can get 1m30s worth of music out. …maybe muting tracks is part of the issue? I’ll try writing two minutes without any muted tracks.

Thank you for the links to tracker videos! Every composition video is in Ableton or Sibelius or whatever, and the fact is that the DAW matters a lot for your workflow, so I haven’t been able to learn from other more experienced tracker users and composers. I’d love to see a tracker-first composition and arrangement tutorial and workshop, I think it’s sorely needed.

Maybe I’ll take a look through all those old mod files…

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

xzzy posted:

That's not specific to the tracker scene though, is it? There's not really a repository for much of anything, unless one counts the endless sample and preset packs that people trying to make a living sell on their websites.

I guess patchstorage.com might be the closest, but it has relatively poor submissions (like 60% of the site is vcv patches).

Then maybe I will change that 😤

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Chainclaw posted:

What's wrong with those? My partner got me the white one for Christmas, I haven't hooked it up yet because I'm hyper focusing my hobby time on something else right now (Sega Genesis homebrew game).

I don't know what's wrong with it, just I never got why cre8audio would re-issue Twisted Electrons Cells since it's not a particularly notable or succesful module. Mimetic digitalis has 2 more channels + tons more functions for the same size. It's almost like they had a bunch of unused Cells boards, so they flipped them upside down and called them Cellz

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

xzzy posted:

No it isn't, its just noticeably absent from what the Tracker scene used to be. Back then, you had to download the actual compositional file to listen to it, so by default you also got to see how it was made, and it became this endless learning cycle loop of people sharing technique.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I like money and not waiting on line even more tho.

I paid around AUD$65 for my teensy 4.1, used a SD card I already had to get headless M8 running on it for free, using guides that spelled everything out clearly. I'm controlling it with a xbox gamepad that I already had via M8C software which is free. It's a lot of fun even if it's not portable (it could be more portable than it is but I don't need that) and any LSDJ muscle memory is completely transferable. I wasn't sure if I would vibe with it so I had LSDJ on a DSlite for a while and it really scratches an itch that other forms of music making do not touch. Once you get to the point where you feel like you want to run two LSDJ instances side by side I think you'll really like the M8 headless and it is worth a try. You get a lot for not very much effort or money.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

If all else fails you could probably rig something up with joy2key to translate gamepad input into keystrokes, I think there's some gamepad to midi programs out there as well but I haven't messed around with them much myself. Might have to fix that, sounds like a fun project to dick around with.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Don't know about other old school trackers, but the scream/impulse tracker line just didn't have a convenient way of muting parts of a pattern on playback, so you'd end up copying parts to new patterns a lot instead. This if course gives you the opportunity to mess with the notes again for extra variation, but you still had to put in the work, so it's not that different.

While muting parts gives flexibility that isn't there when you can't, I think it's still an rear end backwards way of going about it. Buzz did it right with a pattern grid instead of just a list. Patterns just contained phrases played by a specific instrument. You assembled the song in the pattern grid in both a horizontal and a vertical sense. In a way hinting at how Ableton live was going to work later. Sunvox also lets you organise patterns in 2D, and I would love to love it, but some aspects of the interface just won't click for me.

Anyway I work in a linear sequencer now and what I've missed from a pattern based sequencer for the last 20 years is that things can exist inside a project but outside of the timeline. I should probably get bitwig or live or even go back to FL studio, but instead I'm waiting for it to show up in reaper for some reason. Just a visual pool of clips I can drag to the timeline during arranging would do. Eh.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

InternetOfTwinks posted:

If all else fails you could probably rig something up with joy2key to translate gamepad input into keystrokes, I think there's some gamepad to midi programs out there as well but I haven't messed around with them much myself. Might have to fix that, sounds like a fun project to dick around with.

I was actually puttering around in xcode to make an ios app for LDSJ style note sequencing.. and then I got a real M8 in my hands and realized I can plug that into the ipad to get the same effect (and I don't have to hunt down a game controller to plug into the ipad).

The LSDJ interface is just that darn good.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

If you've got a bluetooth controller I could see that being hella convenient for that setup to be fair.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Buzz did it right with a pattern grid instead of just a list. Patterns just contained phrases played by a specific instrument. You assembled the song in the pattern grid in both a horizontal and a vertical sense.

[…]

Anyway I work in a linear sequencer now and what I've missed from a pattern based sequencer for the last 20 years is that things can exist inside a project but outside of the timeline.

Is this not how Renoise works? The pattern sequencer is basically a grid where X is a discrete chunk of time and Y is a track with instrument data. You do build vertically in Renoise, it’s just a much easier choice to build horizontally instead.

And Renoise definitely has phrases per instrument, I just don’t use them much. I find it harder to compose along a pattern when everything is abstracted away, so I tend to put notes directly into the pattern.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Is this not how Renoise works? The pattern sequencer is basically a grid where X is a discrete chunk of time and Y is a track with instrument data. You do build vertically in Renoise, it’s just a much easier choice to build horizontally instead.

And Renoise definitely has phrases per instrument, I just don’t use them much. I find it harder to compose along a pattern when everything is abstracted away, so I tend to put notes directly into the pattern.

Similar, although a lot of people don't expand the pattern list window to reveal that, and even still it's a tad bit different in theory, but a lot different in practice.

I did love the Buzz style - essentially in Buzz everything was a "machine". Everything. So like, all your fx units, your mixer, all your plugins/soft synths, and also a tracker itself were all "machines". Anyone could write a machine, there were machines for loading VSTs etc. Machines had outputs and sometimes inputs and you could wire them up like Max/MSP style, however you wanted. You then got tracker style patterns for each machine individually. You wrote tracks for each machine, and then in the pattern sequencer denoted which machine's patterns to play when. It sounds complex but it was a very intuitive way of doing a ton of stuff very quickly. I wish there was a more modern version of Buzz around.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Chainclaw posted:

Theyre big and annoying to tune but i actually like the ghetto rene. I still have mine in my case

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

You tell me. I've never used renoise, so I don't know anything about it.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

You tell me. I've never used renoise, so I don't know anything about it.

Renoise has the pattern arranger as a panel on the left side of the Pattern Editor window. It also has a slide out panel that shows each column in each pattern as a little rectangle, it will be filled in if there's pattern data there for that column in that pattern. In each instance of a pattern playing in the arranger you can mute or unmute columns. So if you consider the columns analogous to machines from Buzz its sorta similar, but not exact.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alright then yeah, it sounds like the problem is relying too much on muting pattern blocks and not enough on instrument phrases. I can work on that. I might go through the Renoise manual again to see if there’s a better way to do what I’m doing. Plus I’ll go through those mod files too.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

toadee posted:

Renoise has the pattern arranger as a panel on the left side of the Pattern Editor window. It also has a slide out panel that shows each column in each pattern as a little rectangle, it will be filled in if there's pattern data there for that column in that pattern. In each instance of a pattern playing in the arranger you can mute or unmute columns. So if you consider the columns analogous to machines from Buzz its sorta similar, but not exact.
I guess it sort of depends on whether you can have it automatically generate new patterns in the pattern sequencer when you start copying and pasting and editing in the pattern matrix vs no, it really is just a visual representation of what's in the pattern and muting is the only on playback perk.

Pollyanna posted:

Alright then yeah, it sounds like the problem is relying too much on muting pattern blocks and not enough on instrument phrases. I can work on that. I might go through the Renoise manual again to see if there’s a better way to do what I’m doing. Plus I’ll go through those mod files too.
I'm just grabbing the topic of the conversation to talk about my bugbears with working with patterns. I haven't listened to any of your music, don't let me tell you there's a problem with it. I don't even know renoise uses the term phrase the same way I did. Your preferences are valid. Exploring what there software can do for you can never be bad though.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
phrases in renoise are cool because u can use them to restart / cut off your riff for variations, do polyrythms, and play long poo poo (longer than a pattern). the fact that they obscure your actual notes is a problem though. i wish they'd display faded notes or something

i use them super rarely because i like seeing a ton of poo poo in my tracker. copy and paste works fine generally

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Bluebox came in, dope little mixer. One issue though, getting a fair amount of noise on it. Doesn't appear to be coming from any of the input channels based on the level meters I'm seeing. Moved the power from my USB hub to a dedicated wall wart and that cleared about 90% of it, would moving it to it's own outlet instead of the strip be the logical next step? Kinda a pain in the rear end with my setup but I can probably make it work.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Anything you can try for free, sure why not. I'm thinking it can probably run many hours off a battery maybe?

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

It's honestly pretty impossible to notice once it's going, might just stick a noise gate on the end and call it set to be honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

toadee posted:

toadee posted:

No it isn't, its just noticeably absent from what the Tracker scene used to be. Back then, you had to download the actual compositional file to listen to it, so by default you also got to see how it was made, and it became this endless learning cycle loop of people sharing technique.

Both of these are 100% true - I learned by picking up trackers from one of my childhood friends and learning from the .S3M/.MOD files he gave me to start out with, and there was still a huge tracking community in the late 90s/early 00s, especially on IRC. I miss the hell out of it, honestly - the eurorack scene is the closest thing I've found to the tracking scene since I started doing music, and I think having community again is part of what's helped me to get back into making music regularly. Poking around in a DAW and shooting tracks into the void just isn't much fun compared to having a community for your obscure passion.

I should see if my old IRC haunts are still active.