Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Natural 20 posted:

Coolio.

She's already broken.

TP stuff takes her to overdrive but her pellet healing is better than what Geela does, except with the option to heal two targets in a turn if she wants to, or area heal if she wants to.

She's also got a more efficient version of Benedict "Now" for minimal cost.

On a lot of maps she'll do you wonders because you can afford to drop an entire healer for another utility/damage character and let Medina handle everything herself.

On the bridge map, I didn't have to cheese on normal, just rushed down one side with everyone, cleared it out and then turned to face the other. It's certainly intense, but it's basically a case study in what Tristrat usually wants from you; which is to overwhelm a part of the map with superior numbers and then defend from that point.

Prowler posted:

Here are a few tips that carried me in the game:

1. Erador Erador Erador. Provoke is a ridiculously powerful status effect. Mages can't cast magic when they're angry, and other units will focus fire on him with physical attacks, which he can easily endure. There are a few ways to improve this: give him the Fire Counterattack buff, which does percentage damage as a counter attack to any melee attack (giving him actual damage output); buff his defense with an item or spell, and have him either heal himself or spend all his turns healing. Do not spec him for damage, spec him for defense.

2. Serenoa and Roland are not really front line fighters and can get overwhelmed if they push too far forward. Roland hits from a distance and should be positioned to swoop in and trigger follow-up attacks with his high mobility. Serenoa can strike from a distance with enough TP, and can get crits and etc with some clever positioning.

3. Funky Cold Medina. Grab some really cheap HP pellets and use her as a TP battery (or as an item healer when possible). The 5-panel healing pellets will also recover TP to the targeted area.

4. The AI can get broken in a number of ways, as they prefer setting up for big damage than following through (e.g. tossing oil everywhere).

5. Ice magic and ice wall, if available, are incredibly valuable if you need to stop an enemy advance. Ice itiles reduce movement, and ice wall prevents it (and AI units tend to target them for attacks).

6. If you have no reason to move or act, don't move or act. Sometimes, not taking a turn--and having a turn come around sooner to respond to the enemy's move, is the better decision. (I can't remember what the bonus to speed is for not acting/moving, it mentions it in a tutorial).

7. The turtle/defensive strategy is a bit OP in this game.

...man I'm really bad at this game for not realizing some of this sooner (I did learn recently about ice reducing move but a 2 TP cost felt a bit steep). And I did know about Erador Provoke but I always felt it came a bit short because of the low range.

You know what? Gonna go back to the save before the decision, finish buying spices on the merchant for more uses of Medina's Quick and redeem myself on that fight on Normal (it should be easier since I can drop Geela and Benedict for more offensive pressure or Erador. That said please give me a medal soon).

Edit: Oh yeah, forgor some stuff, like how Frederica's TP on kill is actually a forge skill I can access now, I realize after the battle :v: which would make her an amazing finisher, letting Julio go give TP to someone else.

Also, who would be the best first tier 3? For what I saw Ice Mage would benefit a lot since he's get TP+ on Ice, again making him TP neutral most of the time and letting me feed TP to someone else.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Cackling that I struggled my way through this game ignoring Medina completely (never once used her) and didn't get Corentin. Sounds like I could have had a much easier time!

Still looking forward to a NG+ someday but I have too many games on the backlog at the moment, so I'll probably forget all the Pro Strats by the time I do.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
fwiw Corentin is much worse on New Game than Rudolph. Traps end entire maps and early Rudolph hits like a truck.

But yeah, Corentin gets the most out of tier 3 of basically anyone in the game.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I LOVE Rudolph, he was in pretty much every one of my active parties. Plus his insane "HA HA ha ha HA HA ha ha" when leveling up never failed to make us lose it.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Poque posted:

I LOVE Rudolph, he was in pretty much every one of my active parties. Plus his insane "HA HA ha ha HA HA ha ha" when leveling up never failed to make us lose it.

Sounds awesome but he'll sadly have to wait until the NG+ where I choose the opposite choices before the NG++ for the True Ending (unless there's some jumping accross chapters allowed or smth).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Sounds awesome but he'll sadly have to wait until the NG+ where I choose the opposite choices before the NG++ for the True Ending (unless there's some jumping accross chapters allowed or smth).

There are four endings and you can (theoretically) get all of the characters by doing four playthroughs. I did it but I lucked out on my first run because I happened to pick choices other than the ones required for the golden ending so I could pick those on run #4.

The golden ending doesn’t require you to have all 30 characters but you split your characters into three squads of ten so if you are missing characters you will be short-handed. After you beat the game once and can see your full decision timeline it makes planning a lot easier.

The hardest character to get is probably Travis because his conditions are counter-intuitive. You have to give up the Roselle from the village but then go back to the village when given the choice later. Really stupid but I did it the run I sided with Hyzante because it seemed thematically appropriate.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There are four endings and you can (theoretically) get all of the characters by doing four playthroughs. I did it but I lucked out on my first run because I happened to pick choices other than the ones required for the golden ending so I could pick those on run #4.

The golden ending doesn’t require you to have all 30 characters but you split your characters into three squads of ten so if you are missing characters you will be short-handed. After you beat the game once and can see your full decision timeline it makes planning a lot easier.

The hardest character to get is probably Travis because his conditions are counter-intuitive. You have to give up the Roselle from the village but then go back to the village when given the choice later. Really stupid but I did it the run I sided with Hyzante because it seemed thematically appropriate.

...okay, that made me try to check out recruit conditions trying to avoid spoilers, and I'd really like one clarification.

Does that choice lock you into an ending? Cause from what I've seen you get another different character if you protect the Roselle and also do that, but a different choice is needed for the true ending and I wouldn't want to miss out on either an ending or a character.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

...okay, that made me try to check out recruit conditions trying to avoid spoilers, and I'd really like one clarification.

Does that choice lock you into an ending? Cause from what I've seen you get another different character if you protect the Roselle and also do that, but a different choice is needed for the true ending and I wouldn't want to miss out on either an ending or a character.

That choice locks you out of the golden ending, since that requires you to protect the Roselle, but visit your dad instead of the Roselle later. You get a different character if you choose to protect the Roselle and then visit them later. You get Trish instead who is really good.

But the ending you get is based on the final three-way vote which you can pretty much sway whichever way you want if your convictions are high enough. Maybe not on your first playthrough, but on subsequent ones you should be able to force through whichever choices you want. For the golden ending, if the conditions are right you get the choice to bypass that final vote and forge your own path.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That choice locks you out of the golden ending, since that requires you to protect the Roselle, but visit your dad instead of the Roselle later. You get a different character if you choose to protect the Roselle and then visit them later. You get Trish instead who is really good.

But the ending you get is based on the final three-way vote which you can pretty much sway whichever way you want if your convictions are high enough. Maybe not on your first playthrough, but on subsequent ones you should be able to force through whichever choices you want. For the golden ending, if the conditions are right you get the choice to bypass that final vote and forge your own path.

Oh, okay, perfect. I guess I will visit the Roselle both times having protected or evicted them for both of them and lwave visiting dad for the golden route attempt.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah I was lucky to have managed to do nothing Golden path quite wanted, so I was able to do it and get every unit in 4 playthroughs, first time I've 100% a game in ages too. Loved the experience and I still revisit some saves to play the best maps over and over.

1) On Normal.

2) Haven't used her much due to both not buying much healing pellets until recently and her TP stuff (which I assume makes her broken) not unlocking till 20s (she should get it soon)

Honestly even just getting 99 of the cheapest pellets makes Medina as good a healer as Geela and you can honestly buy 50 and still never run out. You'll have that plus her other utility. She's a very good character. Saving up for the multi-heal pellets makes her the best healer and then there's the TP. I'll say anywhere between 30-50 of any item is probably enough to have without overdoing it. It's grindy... but frankly the ch 10 thing is pretty painless to do especially with what seems to be your souped up Fred.

You know what? Gonna go back to the save before the decision, finish buying spices on the merchant for more uses of Medina's Quick and redeem myself on that fight on Normal (it should be easier since I can drop Geela and Benedict for more offensive pressure or Erador. That said please give me a medal soon).

Edit: Oh yeah, forgor some stuff, like how Frederica's TP on kill is actually a forge skill I can access now, I realize after the battle :v: which would make her an amazing finisher, letting Julio go give TP to someone else.

Also, who would be the best first tier 3? For what I saw Ice Mage would benefit a lot since he's get TP+ on Ice, again making him TP neutral most of the time and letting me feed TP to someone else.

Also on that map, you'll notice you can shove the enemy off the bridge. Abuse the poo poo out of that and then park someone/anyone at the top of the ladder. They'll just wait down there until you're ready to take them out. It's very funny to push one of the twins down there as they impotently watch you mop of their soldiers.

They really designed the cast well. Fred's TP on Kill goes super well with the highest magic having mage in the game. It means you can just chain kills and keep her topped off.

If you want to use Corentin more then his Tier 3 Skill is a must. I really didn't use mages often because of how much they either monopolize Julio (who is a decent fighter in his own right) and Medina. I was big on archers, tanks, and powerhouses. But with Corentin, it's less about how many he kills but about map control.

Map control is the single strongest strategy in the game, look for chokepoints, take the high ground, if you can shove take your pushers. If you can't find a chokepoint, learn to make it using traps and ice-wall. My hard mode run went smoothly due to exploiting AI and just funneling them down death alley. I do think the game is best played on normal. You'll never 1-shot an enemy but eventually your stronger units can 3-shot them sometimes even 2 with good planning and follow-up attacks, and that feels nice as you don't need to turtle quite as much.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You get Trish instead who is really good.

I never used the other dude too much so I can't say, but this one was a big let-down for me. I initially thought they were awesome, but they quickly lose their usefulness as the mobility archer when you realize it's not a super useful niche (as we said turtling is the master strategy), plus to get that to activate requires quite a bit of TP and set-up, and while Anna gets Surmount as a Free Action, Leap never ever comes close to making her that useful since it just eats turns. I used a lot of archers in my games and was consistently let down by them. While they can run with the horses, they actually can't do anything once she arrives. Their best use is getting to an untouchable high point and then plinking away at the enemy, but that only applies part of the time and makes their ability kind of moot when Hughette does it better and faster.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh, okay, perfect. I guess I will visit the Roselle both times having protected or evicted them for both of them and lwave visiting dad for the golden route attempt.

Yes this is the one thing you must do to get all the characters across four playthroughs.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Yes this is the one thing you must do to get all the characters across four playthroughs.

Which is a shame because the character saved to last that way is terrific. Though the one you didn't mention is also brilliant and arguably my favorite in their category.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cleared the bridge fight on Normal, and without deaths to boot! It turns out my biggest mistakewasn't unit choice or not using Medina... it was going for the bulky knights, letting myself be sniped and blasted by the mages, just to get access to the high elevation. Turns out going for Thale's side meant the physical units couldn't attack me and clearing the mages with Spark let my units live.

Also thank god for the push advice, gave me lots of breathing room by pushing the siblings off the bridge... and for fun points, once I dropped a sibling on top of the other! Had a laugh imagining that. I did have to restart from quicksave twice because I killed them accidentally but in the end Frederica got her revenge. On Normal.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Man I feel the chapter 15 revelations are a bit... unbalanced in terms of shockingness.

Frederica: Hyzante has been censoring history and oppressing the Rozelle to validate a fake claim upon salt!

Benedict: Your dad was assassinated by the Royalists. Also he's not your dad, you're Roland's half brother.

Roland: The Royalists are mean Serenoa

But man what a wild ride. Onto chapter 16's battle now but first I gotta take a hand on the new characters! Trish seems a bit meh compared to Hugette and Archivald, Flannagan is a welcome second tank and an awesome design, and the old kung fu lady is also awesome and seems like a better tank than the other old guys?? Third best defense so far and much better mag. defense. Man this game has a lot of old cool guys.

And now I have 3 Valor medals and multiple T3 weapon mats and I'm stuck with decision paralysis :negative:. For now I've gotten only Corentin to Class T3 for TP on Ice, and Seranoa/Frederica to WT3 for their skills (I deeply regret it on Serenoa, a 4 TP skill that's 1 TP per unit is just bad when Medina or Julius do that for free).

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
How many characters are tied to having a certain amount of conviction points along a given track? I know I've gotten 3 out of morality so far (I feel cheated that the third one mentions having turrets but they must be real deep into their promotions cause all I'm seeing is a trap that is a lot more niche than the other trap character's and some assorted other weird stuff. Though combining both characters for a wall of trap spam is probably a very valid strategy. The enemy cannot hit you if they're constantly stepping on the entire field of rakes you put down).

Also, that pellet healer sounds interesting, are they recruited as part of the story or do I need to gun for a specific conviction?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Outside of the starting eight characters, and the branching chapters with one recruit per branch, all recruitable characters are tied to conviction tracks. Most of them split their requirements across multiple tracks, though. For the character you're asking about, she requires slightly more Morality than Jens, but also a decent chunk of Liberty.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Man I feel the chapter 15 revelations are a bit... unbalanced in terms of shockingness.

Frederica: Hyzante has been censoring history and oppressing the Rozelle to validate a fake claim upon salt!

Benedict: Your dad was assassinated by the Royalists. Also he's not your dad, you're Roland's half brother.

Roland: The Royalists are mean Serenoa

But man what a wild ride. Onto chapter 16's battle now but first I gotta take a hand on the new characters! Trish seems a bit meh compared to Hugette and Archivald, Flannagan is a welcome second tank and an awesome design, and the old kung fu lady is also awesome and seems like a better tank than the other old guys?? Third best defense so far and much better mag. defense. Man this game has a lot of old cool guys.

And now I have 3 Valor medals and multiple T3 weapon mats and I'm stuck with decision paralysis :negative:. For now I've gotten only Corentin to Class T3 for TP on Ice, and Seranoa/Frederica to WT3 for their skills (I deeply regret it on Serenoa, a 4 TP skill that's 1 TP per unit is just bad when Medina or Julius do that for free).

The real revelation with Roland is Roland kinda sucks

I recommend you stay in Glenbrook once. Honestly I don't think Travis is worth it.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Fangz posted:

The real revelation with Roland is Roland kinda sucks

That’s readily apparent from chapter 1. “Worst decision possible” made flesh.

In the Benedict ending sure, Serenoa does a capitalism, but Roland the genius thinks it’s a good idea to start an underground rebellion by teaming up with the deposed leader of the religious empire that falsified history to create a slave race who they also used as zombie fodder for their magic automaton fake god. Sure, that guy tooootally has the downtrodden underclasses best interests at heart, Roland.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

and the old kung fu lady is also awesome and seems like a better tank than the other old guys?? Man this game has a lot of old cool guys.

You're definitely looking at her wrong. Review her stats again compared to others, and then look at what skills she gets. (Yes, she is a tank, but not a damage tank.)

She--and another fighter you recruit on a different route-are the real front-line fighters when specced right. Serenoa and Roland are really mid-line fighters.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Prowler posted:

You're definitely looking at her wrong. Review her stats again compared to others, and then look at what skills she gets. (Yes, she is a tank, but not a damage tank.)

She--and another fighter you recruit on a different route-are the real front-line fighters when specced right. Serenoa and Roland are really mid-line fighters.

I mean that's what I meant with tank? She can go on the front, fury enemies, dodge a ton and even if she gets hit she has a defense comparable to Erador but a magic defense that exists unlike Erador and the other tank guy I saw (the flying one)

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Yep, a dodge tank is still a tank and she is an excellent one. I think she's got a move that pins enemies as well so she can do that and move out of the way after dodging hits.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

You're not wrong about those consequences and Roland is consequently the most... Roland... but the character from his path was a shocking revelation for me in terms of usefulness.

I fully agree about the unit you got though. As I said earlier their a mobility archer when it's not... that useful. Best you can say is that they can get out of a sticky spot where as the others can't. Your new tank I took for granted for a long time since they're physically weak, but do not sit on him, with the right items they can hit hard enough and they are near untouchable even if magic will wreck them and Erador for that matter. Also, the dodge tank is arguably one of my favorite units overall, with what they can do. Just a great time is had with them in a fight.

On skills:
Serenoa's skill there isn't ideal, but it's not bad upgrading him since he gets a huge boost for getting to that level and you still use him tons, though it's true his other T3 Skills are undeniably better. Just check to see what skills sound useful/important and upgrade appropriately. If you like using Benedict his skill is really quite useful, but it means you can't use his other ones as you charge it up so it's up to you. You can't do much worse than Roland, but it's not really exciting. Geela is genuinely helpful and if you have another healer up she can safely charge it slowly and really save your butt in a pinch. Your Trish's skill really makes her more useful but I still feel like it's pearls before swine with her. I'd highly consider Erador or even Flanagan with priority to the former. Ezana's final spell is some broken poo poo, especially paired with another character, but I wouldn't take it.

So either a tank or Geela if you were to ask me.

Obligatum VII posted:

Though combining both characters for a wall of trap spam is probably a very valid strategy.

The biggest problem with traps is knowing how to place them since they will be dodged if you're not careful, so obviously choke points or baited with a unit makes them invaluable. Traps have a nice effect of damage, movement or holding an enemy but best of all they EAT A TURN. Meaning your opponent is down a whole turn unable to do a thing. It's incredibly useful.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I mean that's what I meant with tank? She can go on the front, fury enemies, dodge a ton and even if she gets hit she has a defense comparable to Erador but a magic defense that exists unlike Erador and the other tank guy I saw (the flying one)

Got it. Your post focused on her defense and magic defense and mentioned nothing about dodging, which is why I pointed it out.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

...okay, now I see why Roland is the worst?

Did he get possessed by a Law SMT hero offscreen!? Like JFC the whiplash of him suddenly going "oh yeah we should all submit to Hyzante and keep their slavery" even with all the bad choices he made was astonishing. Even if Frederica and Benedict also sound like the Heroine and Chaos Hero but at least they sound natural (well Benedict amped his evil schemer stat in the morning). And Roland is the liberty representative? Jeez.

Anyways, gonna try for Frederica's option, continuing the proud Wolfwort tradition of betraying everyone, gently caress this poo poo im out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Did he get possessed by a Law SMT hero offscreen!? Like JFC the whiplash of him suddenly going "oh yeah we should all submit to Hyzante and keep their slavery" even with all the bad choices he made was astonishing. Even if Frederica and Benedict also sound like the Heroine and Chaos Hero but at least they sound natural (well Benedict amped his evil schemer stat in the morning). And Roland is the liberty representative? Jeez.

Anyways, gonna try for Frederica's option, continuing the proud Wolfwort tradition of betraying everyone, gently caress this poo poo im out.

Roland's choice is the Utility option, Benedict is Liberty. They have kind of represented the other option for most of the game, but the idea is that Benedict was just biding his time until the perfect moment where as Roland has finally lost the will to fight.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I didn't want to mention earlier, but yeah, the chapter 15 debriefs are all setups for the chapter 17 vote, and this is why Roland's was underwhelming. Frederica and Benedict get to confront and reevaluate exactly what they're fighting for, and commit to it, but Roland just learns that he sucks and decides to lean into being the worst.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

He has been a coward since the beginning as far as running away from responsibility. Whereas most stories have the trope of a prince not complying with royal duties, he takes it to the extreme and just wants to avoid as much responsibility as possible as far as deciding his kingdom's prospects.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Tae posted:

He has been a coward since the beginning as far as running away from responsibility. Whereas most stories have the trope of a prince not complying with royal duties, he takes it to the extreme and just wants to avoid as much responsibility as possible as far as deciding his kingdom's prospects.

The fake alternate sequel to Hamlet where he becomes an apologist for slavery

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
when you tell your brother for his entire life that he has literally no purpose and has to only sit in the castle doing nothing while you, the best brother, do all the important king things that any siblings are too useless and pointless to do… then he’ll kind of start believing it when he has the chance right?

The tragedy of roland is that the representatives of his ideals are also the people who killed his family, so he can’t work with them under any circumstances, so he falls directly back into his old role, just under a new big brother.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think it works very well tbh. Maybe you gotta take his choice in 15 though for extra context I dunno.

With chapter 15 Roland gets entirely cynical about the whole idea of Royalty. It's not like he was ever all that into it but his immediate gently caress up and failure to do anything to help the people he's fighting for and in fact just make them all hate him causes him to give up on the idea entirely. But hey there's one other form of governance on the continent and that one is ruled by an omnipotent God and not any one person. So it would completely absolve him of any responsibility and create a thin veneer that he's still trying to "help" people. So let's bring on the Theocracy!

Like he's trying to justify it as it being "fair" for the most people or whatever but I think it's very clear Roland's primary motivation is to abandon the throne and have someone clean up his messes so he doesn't need to deal with the stress and all his failures. Which y'know makes him a coward loser failson and makes it very hards to justify siding with him but I think its a decently compelling move as a character and feels decently built up and showcased. Love it when a game just lets a character get worse.

Also explains why he's totally down for Frederica's route because he still ends up abandoning the throne. Hell, he's probably a lot happier because he gets to abandon the throne for justice and friendship and act as the Heroic Knight he's way more interested in being.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also explains why he's totally down for Frederica's route because he still ends up abandoning the throne. Hell, he's probably a lot happier because he gets to abandon the throne for justice and friendship and act as the Heroic Knight he's way more interested in being.

Yeah the frederica ending really works out for him, he just gets to be a normal dude and do some fishing without any of dumb royal responsibilities

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah the frederica ending really works out for him, he just gets to be a normal dude and do some fishing without any of dumb royal responsibilities

I bet Frederica guilts him into watching her kid all the time by reminding him of the time he wanted to sell out her people and keep them enslaved because he was sad

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, yeah, it works as a character beat and makes sense in context, and not everyone can be the best person*, but it doesn't change the fact that it makes Roland the worst.

*Technically only one person can be the best person, and that's clearly Frederica, no point even trying to compete for that spot.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I recommend upgrading Ezana because even without the one weird trick her ultimate spell is just loving stupid once you start fueling her to do it every turn.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

I bet Frederica guilts him into watching her kid all the time by reminding him of the time he wanted to sell out her people and keep them enslaved because he was sad

I don't think he'd need to be guilted to do that.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

My biggest issue is that he claims the Roselle are gonna be the only victims and everyone else will be at peace... except by then we've seen that anyone who even dares to not inmediately bowtow to the Ministers' will gets attacked, branded an heretic and dealt away with. Multiple times. The Roselle will not be the only oppressed under them. He wants to give away his responsibilities but in response he chooses to follow someone who is even worse than him.

I'm guessing the Golden Route does pop up another possibility that lets him drop the crown without loving everyone up but jeez.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yes. That is the point.

E: Being a coward running away from responsibility wouldn't be much of a flaw if it wasn't going to have disastorous consequences. And it wouldn't be as interesting if he wasn't trying to justify it as being all for the greater good.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My favorite detail of the Golden Route is how during the reconciliation, Benedict and Roland give heartfelt apologies for trying to lead you astray, while Frederica just rolls in to say "hey thanks for having my back, you're a good egg."

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

*Technically only one person can be the best person, and that's clearly Frederica, no point even trying to compete for that spot.

I don't know how you could play this game and not end up as a Wife Guy, at least to some extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the options to digress from the Path of the Wife Guy are the worst choices you can make in the game. like, frederica's ending path requires a huge leap of faith based mostly on wishful thinking, but the other two options make it look really normal and reasonable by comparison.