Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

This game owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think the purpose of it is to make a deliberately challenging game that is purely a test of skill... I don't think there's much more to it than that. :shrug:

also the Overboard I got is the Inkle one that is the reverse murder mystery game on the boat

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sekiro, well known for its focus on cinematic storytelling and set pieces

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Well, because every other FROM game has ways to mitigate it's difficulty and it's what I like about their games. That was literally my original post man. It's not great seeing FROM put out a game that goes completely against the grain so hard they intentionally chose to not include any of the stuff I like about their games. The fact that a mech sim, a first person dungeon crawler and a third person action RPG can all be known for being very hard, but also being very manageable, and then you have "oh also there's a game that keeps the difficulty of the other things in our catalogue, but doesn't have any of the stuff for getting past that difficulty, a thing we're known for" then I just don't really see the purpose of it. You might as well just let people have an easy mode so they can enjoy it as well, since you're not providing the usual FROM methods to mitigate the difficulty. So I dunno what you want from me, I really like FROM games and the first six hours I've had with Sekiro is basically counter to everything I like about their games, it makes more sense if they just had an easy mode, since they seem more interested in telling a story and having cinematic boss fights.

theyre allowed to do something different. doing something different isnt illegal, and your inability to deal with the difficulty of the game isnt a game design flaw. you just suck at it. sorry u have to find out like this.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
and sekiro isnt about what u said at the end. its about incredibly tight boss fights, the best fights theyve ever made bar none lol

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

4chan wojack memes are fail please delete this from your hard drive

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
you can even replace that jpeg with an install of .kkrieger which is 30 kb smaller

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Stux posted:

theyre allowed to do something different. doing something different isnt illegal, and your inability to deal with the difficulty of the game isnt a game design flaw. you just suck at it. sorry u have to find out like this.

It's a good thing my original post:

1) never said Fromsoft wasn't allowed to do anything different
2) never said doing something different was illegal
3) that it was a flaw inherent in the game design

All I said, was that they might as well add in an easy mode.
After all, including an easy mode would also be them doing something super different, and I'm sure you'd have zero complaints if they did, right?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

4chan wojack memes are fail please delete this from your hard drive
                                    /

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Stux posted:

and sekiro isnt about what u said at the end. its about incredibly tight boss fights, the best fights theyve ever made bar none lol

Now I'm thinking you just didn't play Sekiro, or maybe you skipped all the cutscenes and story or something.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

It's a good thing my original post:

1) never said Fromsoft wasn't allowed to do anything different
2) never said doing something different isn't illegal
3) that it was a flaw inherent in the game design

All I said, was that they might as well add in an easy mode.
After all, including an easy mode would also be them doing something super different, and I'm sure you'd have zero complaints if they did, right?

why would they want to add an easy mode to a game whos entire point is its difficulty and the lack of ability to circumvent it? seems pointless doesn t it. and you can always cheat engine yourself to see everything if thats your concern.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you can even replace that jpeg with an install of .kkrieger which is 30 kb smaller

That would be too cool for Stux.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Stux posted:

why would they want to add an easy mode to a game whos entire point is its difficulty and the lack of ability to circumvent it? seems pointless doesn t it. and you can always cheat engine yourself to see everything if thats your concern.

Answer my question: Would you be fine if their next high-difficulty game included an easy mode?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i remember that thing

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Nancy posted:

Now I'm thinking you just didn't play Sekiro, or maybe you skipped all the cutscenes and story or something.

if you got rid of one part of sekiro which would leave it as recogniseably the game sekiro. the cutscenes or the gameplay.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i enjoyed the bed of chaos boss fight more than any boss fight in sekiro

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Answer my question: Would you be fine if their next high-difficulty game included an easy mode?

thats entirely up to them. and if they dont want to they dont have to. if they want to instead include two extra difficulty modes above the base difficulty, like in sekiro, with no option to make the game easier they can.

now ansnwer mine: why dont you just cheat and make the game easier with cheats? its bcos u want the satisfaction of winning "properly" even if the end result is the same. so it would seem entirely like a personal problem.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bed of Chaos is less bad than people make it out to be

it is ok

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i enjoyed the bed of chaos boss fight more than any boss fight in sekiro

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i liked Sekiro but it frustrated me to the point of intense irritation so I just shoved on a literal game trainer and 1 shot everything, i completely cheated myself out of "the experience" by doing this but i'd rather do it that way than give up halfway through and never look at it again

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Stux posted:

if you got rid of one part of sekiro which would leave it as recogniseably the game sekiro. the cutscenes or the gameplay.

You clearly had a different experience but they're both kinda integral to the game to me. I wouldn't have really cared to fight horseman or butterfly lady without the plot and build up.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Sekiro has a giant ape that farts on you and tosses its poo poo at you

10/10 game

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Nancy posted:

You clearly had a different experience but they're both kinda integral to the game to me. I wouldn't have really cared to fight horseman or butterfly lady without the plot and build up.

i liked the story and characters like i do in all their games but if you put a gun agianst my head and told me which part is more integral to the experience it would be the gameplay. sekiro with the same setting and story but its like a loving assassins creed game or something would be a significantly worse game than sekiro with no story and just the gameplay.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Stux posted:

thats entirely up to them. and if they dont want to they dont have to. if they want to instead include two extra difficulty modes above the base difficulty, like in sekiro, with no option to make the game easier they can.

now ansnwer mine: why dont you just cheat and make the game easier with cheats? its bcos u want the satisfaction of winning "properly" even if the end result is the same. so it would seem entirely like a personal problem.

Oh, I haven't bothered yet. Elden Ring's been eating up most of my game time for a month now. Maybe I was hoping someone in the thread could have given me some tips and pointers for the game like I always do when people talk about the difficulty of the various souls games instead of just raging at me for hours because I offered extremely mild criticism at the game.

And you didn't answer mine. If they released a new souls/sekiro/King's Field/AC game and it included an easy mode, would you have an issue with that? I'm not asking about them, I'm asking your exact reaction. Would you be in 100% support of that, and commit the same level of effort you do in defending the difficulty of these games to defending the lack of it, or would you not?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tbh i think anyone who forces themselves to play any of the actual souls games for the "story and worldbuilding" is nuts, it's just all reading item descriptions and npcs trailing off into laughter. the fun part's the fighting. also patches.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sekiro’s story is a neat refinement of the Buddhist theming in From’s other games but it’s just a nice-to-have, the real appeal is in the clang

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Oh, I haven't bothered yet. Elden Ring's been eating up most of my game time for a month now. Maybe I was hoping someone in the thread could have given me some tips and pointers for the game like I always do when people talk about the difficulty of the various souls games instead of just raging at me for hours because I offered extremely mild criticism at the game.

And you didn't answer mine. If they released a new souls/sekiro/King's Field/AC game and it included an easy mode, would you have an issue with that? I'm not asking about them, I'm asking your exact reaction. Would you be in 100% support of that, and commit the same level of effort you do in defending the difficulty of these games to defending the lack of it, or would you not?

tips and pointers: parry attacks and attack back.

i did answer. are you incapable of reading? you didnt asnwer me however. i await with baited breath.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Stux posted:

tips and pointers: parry attacks and attack back.

i did answer. are you incapable of reading? you didnt asnwer me however. i await with baited breath.

If they released a new souls/sekiro/King's Field/AC game and it included an easy mode, would you have an issue with that? I'm not asking about them, I'm asking your exact reaction. Would you be in 100% support of that, and commit the same level of effort you do in defending the difficulty of these games to defending the lack of it, or would you not?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

tbh i think anyone who forces themselves to play any of the actual souls games for the "story and worldbuilding" is nuts, it's just all reading item descriptions and npcs trailing off into laughter. the fun part's the fighting. also patches.

Souls games have incredibly good worldbuilding though

l think how FROM constructs their worlds and how the player can try to puzzle out what really happened and how it all relates is some of the best games writing period

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Stux posted:

i liked the story and characters like i do in all their games but if you put a gun agianst my head and told me which part is more integral to the experience it would be the gameplay. sekiro with the same setting and story but its like a loving assassins creed game or something would be a significantly worse game than sekiro with no story and just the gameplay.

I don't see why it has to be one or the other, without one aspect it's not "Sekiro." I don't bother with a lot of games because the context and role doesn't appeal to me, like God of War.

Though I'd be cool if Sekiro played more like Tenchu too instead of a tiny bit like Tenchu.

Cowcaster posted:

I don't think many people would do that. It's people enjoying the gameplay and the "story and worldbuilding" together & both aspects inform the other.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if they made a game from the ground up with difficulty settings in mind, they would design the game around that. so i suspect it would be fine. but they didn't do that for Sekiro, because that's not what they wanted to do. they had a very clear goal with it.

it just seems weird to keep hammering on this. not every game's gonna vibe with ya

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 4, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

just plug in a GameShark and move on

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Andrast posted:

Souls games have incredibly good worldbuilding though

l think how FROM constructs their worlds and how the player can try to puzzle out what really happened and how it all relates is some of the best games writing period

sure, sure. i get the feeling a lot of people with the biggest resentment towards them as a decade long franchise frog sitting atop the videogames discourse are the ones who hear about how incredible the writing is and think they're missing out, though, so they force themselves to struggle through stuff they hate to find out they've earned two lines of text on the item "hildebrand's fossilized left testicle"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

If they released a new souls/sekiro/King's Field/AC game and it included an easy mode, would you have an issue with that? I'm not asking about them, I'm asking your exact reaction. Would you be in 100% support of that, and commit the same level of effort you do in defending the difficulty of these games to defending the lack of it, or would you not?

i already answered this op. you can read the post again and try to understand the words you are reading but unfortuantely like sekiro my posts do not have an easy mode option.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

sure, sure. i get the feeling a lot of people with the biggest resentment towards them as a decade long franchise frog sitting atop the videogames discourse are the ones who hear about how incredible the writing is and think they're missing out, though, so they force themselves to struggle through stuff they hate to find out they've earned two lines of text on the item "hildebrand's fossilized left testicle"

hildebrand's fossilized left testicle is actually super pivotal to the lore but you just don't know it until you read the description from the right testicle, it really recontextualizes the whole thing

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Nancy posted:

I don't see why it has to be one or the other, without one aspect it's not "Sekiro." I don't bother with a lot of games because the context and role doesn't appeal to me, like God of War.

Though I'd be cool if Sekiro played more like Tenchu too instead of a tiny bit like Tenchu.

I don't think many people would do that. It's people enjoying the gameplay and the "story and worldbuilding" together & both aspects inform the other.

i said "gun to my head" thankfully there is no insane assassin putting my life at risk while also giving me the incredible power to edit sekiro and the memories of all that have played it. im sorry if you we re genuinely concerned it was a real situation.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cowcaster posted:

My view of it is that you can't simply ignore fromsoft games because they're popular and not a niche. Like I enjoy Warriors games but they're very niche outside of the Zelda ones so people can kind of just ignore them. You can't really ignore Dark Souls and be part of the general gaming conversation because it only seems to get more and more popular. Some of these people seem to be afraid to be left out of it. Which is odd, because Mario Kart 8 has outside the entire souls franchise, I think even including Elden Ring, but nobody really talks about it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

My view of it is that you can't simply ignore fromsoft games because they're popular and not a niche. Like I enjoy Warriors games but they're very niche outside of the Zelda ones so people can kind of just ignore them. You can't really ignore Dark Souls and be part of the general gaming conversation because it only seems to get more and more popular. Some of these people seem to be afraid to be left out of it. Which is odd, because Mario Kart 8 has outside the entire souls franchise, I think even including Elden Ring, but nobody really talks about it.

Yes you can OP. It's actually very simple

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
ohhhh i understand now. youre an insane person lo.l

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Stux posted:

i already answered this op. you can read the post again and try to understand the words you are reading but unfortuantely like sekiro my posts do not have an easy mode option.

Nah, you're dodging the question. I get it, because you can't really back yourself out of the corner you painted for yourself but maybe the next time you argue try to actually meet me where I'm at like you're supposed to do in Sekiro instead of the Batman Arkham series "Mash A and dodge infinitely" poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Heaven forbid you can’t “be part of the general gaming conversation”