Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

lol this dude has 5 times the audience of RLM

His view counts are trash though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Haven’t heard anything about that new pixar coming but I hope it’s good. Hopefully Turning Red was the turnaround because the last few years for Pixar have been dire.

I posit that Onward is their worst film, worse even than The Good Dinosaur.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Alexia telling Jay to wear a different hat through the magic of ouija.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

lol this dude has 5 times the audience of RLM

It kind of makes you sick when you see the absolute trash channels that have many times more subs than RLM. Though RLM’s average views are often higher.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

priznat posted:

Haven’t heard anything about that new pixar coming but I hope it’s good. Hopefully Turning Red was the turnaround because the last few years for Pixar have been dire.

Well, if Turning Red was the turnaround point for Pixar, I don't know how you explain Lightyear.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Endless (youtube) trash

LanceHunter posted:

Well, if Turning Red was the turnaround point for Pixar, I don't know how you explain Lightyear.

poo poo I totally forgot about that one, probably the first pixar I will never even see. Maybe it was in production before Turning Red or maybe TR was just a pleasant anomaly.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

lol i completely forgot i watched lightyear. I guess the magic of it broke when they featured a bunch of different spacecraft models so they could sell more toys if they wanted to

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

priznat posted:

Endless (youtube) trash

poo poo I totally forgot about that one, probably the first pixar I will never even see. Maybe it was in production before Turning Red or maybe TR was just a pleasant anomaly.

At this point it feels like Pixar is just another animation studio, that will occasionally hit a home run. The run from the original Toy Story until Up (or arguably Toy Story 3) was insane, with only Cars standing out as the dud in the group. But ever since then, the only films they've released that even get mentioned in the same breath as those golden age releases are Inside Out, Coco, Soul, and Turning Red. Four films out of fifteen in an eleven year period.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hemale in pain posted:

when rich dies of diabetes i hope mike pays the same respect by filming a ouija board session

C...H....A....B...L...E ? Chable? That cant be right.Rich what are you trying to tell us?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

At this point it feels like Pixar is just another animation studio, that will occasionally hit a home run. The run from the original Toy Story until Up (or arguably Toy Story 3) was insane, with only Cars standing out as the dud in the group. But ever since then, the only films they've released that even get mentioned in the same breath as those golden age releases are Inside Out, Coco, Soul, and Turning Red. Four films out of fifteen in an eleven year period.

Yeah kind of a bummer going from a sure fire hitmaker. I think Pete Docter is probably the surest old guard guy who when he directs it's going to be great (Inside Out, Soul) with a real abstract style that is interesting. Must be clear though I liked Soul despite Tina Fey dragging it down.

The fact that Docter isn't directing Inside Out 2 is a huge red flag too imo (even apart from revisiting that idea again)

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

PostNouveau posted:

But they SHOULD kill more kids in horror movies, right?

Avenging Force didn't hold back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhhWpwkWRiw&t=1532s

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
speaking of the watching X for the first time - remember that craze where black people would pretend not to have heard white people music. this might just be the bohemian rhapsody thing though

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sunk Dunk posted:

speaking of the watching X for the first time - remember that craze where black people would pretend not to have heard white people music. this might just be the bohemian rhapsody thing though

Telling white boomers that kids these days actually would love their old music/movies/whatever if they were exposed to it was a genius marketing ploy.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
tubi fubo trumbo cruspy quibi crax

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

hemale in pain posted:

when rich dies of diabetes i hope mike pays the same respect by filming a ouija board session

The jig would be up when the “ghost” keeps on spelling things correctly

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

priznat posted:

They both had that similar issue of working way too hard at creating a high concept for the setting, but then having no idea what to do with it, to a distracting extent. "What if the asteroid didn't kill the dinosaurs?" Apparently just a regular dinosaur movie except the setting looks slightly more like the American west I guess. "What if a world of D&D wizard stuff became modern?" Pretty much the same thing as if they had done a more traditional "kid finds magic thing" story.

I do think you can see a great movie in Onward if you squint, whereas I still really have no idea what the hell TGD is, and it is aggressively ugly with the way the characters clash against the background.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

They both had that similar issue of working way too hard at creating a high concept for the setting, but then having no idea what to do with it, to a distracting extent. "What if the asteroid didn't kill the dinosaurs?" Apparently just a regular dinosaur movie except the setting looks slightly more like the American west I guess. "What if a world of D&D wizard stuff became modern?" Pretty much the same thing as if they had done a more traditional "kid finds magic thing" story.

I do think you can see a great movie in Onward if you squint, whereas I still really have no idea what the hell TGD is, and it is aggressively ugly with the way the characters clash against the background.

I agree on all points I just think Chris Pratt sucks rear end

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/goji_guy/status/1610428032702980097?s=20&t=W0Rr6pvwQnWNJUQzMZaRkA

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I got recommended a reaction video of a Black dude who looked to be in his thirties or forties watching Blazing Saddles for the first time. I thought why not, could be interesting. 95% of it was him pausing the movie, looking at the camera blinking for a few seconds like that weird rear end in a top hat from Family Feud, and saying stuff like "that man just punched a drat horse" or "why don't they just go around the drat toll booth". The other 5% was him laughing hysterically everytime someone said the n word.

I'll link his Patreon if anyone is interested.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Everybody says you couldn't make Blazing Saddles today. But if the Shawn and Marlon Wayans showed up to any studio in Hollywood with a treatment for a Blazing Saddles remake it would be greenlit so fast the contracts would break the sound barrier.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Oh poo poo y'all...

https://twitter.com/BonerWizard/status/1610734918954516480

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Replace the Wayans with Key and Peele and I could absolutely see it happening. Probably not, otherwise.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
we're due for a new scary movie

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Called it

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

DangerDummy! posted:

Replace the Wayans with Key and Peele and I could absolutely see it happening. Probably not, otherwise.

Keanu was a wet fart though. Mel Brooks is still alive, just get him to do it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

We must keep Mel Brooks safe at all costs

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
Cinema is saved

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My Plex knows what's up

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Making anyone over 80 be involved in any way in a movie's production is clear-cut elder abuse.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i just got to the episode of columbo where dick van dyke is the murderer of the week and he even looks old then

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Cacator posted:

Keanu was a wet fart though. Mel Brooks is still alive, just get him to do it.

Keanu was crap, but Jordan Peele has a pretty good run behind him at the moment, and K&P has been split up long enough right now where anyone would jump at a "reunion".

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
M3gan is directed by Gerard Johnstone, writer/director of Housebound

anybody who can stick the landing on a horror/comedy is one to watch. like five dudes in the history of film have pulled it off

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

DangerDummy! posted:

Keanu was crap, but Jordan Peele has a pretty good run behind him at the moment, and K&P has been split up long enough right now where anyone would jump at a "reunion".

Jordan Peele would not do a remake of Blazing Saddles because Blazing Saddles already exists, and the last time he put his name on a reboot we got the new Twilight Zone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Jordan Peele would not do a remake of Blazing Saddles because Blazing Saddles already exists, and the last time he put his name on a reboot we got the new Twilight Zone.

gently caress that new Twilight Zone. The original is probably my favorite show of all time. So much of what Serling was trying to say is still relevant today.

The movie was 50/50. The '85 revival is fine. They had some talented people working on it, but it suffers from looking like rear end for the most part. The 2002 revival is bad. It's on Tubi now I think. I watched a few and it didn't do a thing for me. Jonathan Davis of Korn does the theme and it sounds exactly like you think it does.

But man, the new one for Paramount+ is so bad because every writer is huffing their own farts with their heads up their asses. That season 1 finale where the lady ends up meeting Rod Serling is so loving bad and insulting.

Usu Kai Ken
Oct 2, 2021

Cubone posted:

M3gan is directed by Gerard Johnstone, writer/director of Housebound

anybody who can stick the landing on a horror/comedy is one to watch. like five dudes in the history of film have pulled it off

Are they really that rare?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I watched "The Menu". I liked the first 30 minutes a lot, but then it gets really outlandish but does not really amp up the goofiness to match. Like, it's pretty goofy, but it could have been so much goofier. Ralph Fiennes is too serious, I think. Would have been better if everyone matched Nicholas Hoult's energy throughout.

I don't know, it's hard to put my finger on it, but something is just not clicking when the plot really turns on.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Usu Kai Ken posted:

Are they really that rare?

Can you name more than 5 horror-comedies that stuck the landing? The list I can think of so far...

Ghostbusters
Evil Dead 2 (though that's arguable on the comedy front, mostly it's a horror movie with funny moments)
Shaun of the Dead
Tremors
Return of the Living Dead (also arguable on the comedy front)

There are certainly more movies that tried, and even partially succeeded as horror-comedies. But I don't think any of them really stuck the landing. Most of the time you end up with a Tucker & Dale Vs Evil situation, where it's hitting both the horror and comedy pretty well but then had to tack on an ending that just doesn't work. Or it's an outright comedy with some light horror trappings, like Zombieland.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I would add Cabin in the Woods to the list of great horror-comedies.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Does Braindead count? I'm gonna say Braindead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Well duh-doy, it's really talking about the larger point of whether a movie like Blazing Saddles could be made today, with the same intensity (for lack of a word I'm not clever enough to think of). It's a synecdoche or something. I don't know. I'm hungry.