Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

My view of it is that you can't simply ignore fromsoft games because they're popular and not a niche. Like I enjoy Warriors games but they're very niche outside of the Zelda ones so people can kind of just ignore them. You can't really ignore Dark Souls and be part of the general gaming conversation because it only seems to get more and more popular. Some of these people seem to be afraid to be left out of it. Which is odd, because Mario Kart 8 has outside the entire souls franchise, I think even including Elden Ring, but nobody really talks about it.

I ignore popular things all the time, you should try it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Nah, you're dodging the question. I get it, because you can't really back yourself out of the corner you painted for yourself but maybe the next time you argue try to actually meet me where I'm at like you're supposed to do in Sekiro instead of the Batman Arkham series "Mash A and dodge infinitely" poo poo lol

i very literally answered it, directly. are you from another planet wtf is going on

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

My view of it is that you can't simply ignore fromsoft games because they're popular and not a niche. Like I enjoy Warriors games but they're very niche outside of the Zelda ones so people can kind of just ignore them. You can't really ignore Dark Souls and be part of the general gaming conversation because it only seems to get more and more popular. Some of these people seem to be afraid to be left out of it. Which is odd, because Mario Kart 8 has outside the entire souls franchise, I think even including Elden Ring, but nobody really talks about it.

i can actually see the brainworms crawling out of this post holy crap

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Oxxidation posted:

Heaven forbid you can’t “be part of the general gaming conversation”

Yeah, normies man. They ruin everything.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm not going to try to read the last couple pages to figure out wtf is going on but I guess I'll just assume it's people being incapable of understanding that other people might like different things like every other time this thread gets into a dumb argument.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Yeah, normies man. They ruin everything.

Your posts are extremely whack, and fail. Please stop making them

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Stux posted:

i said "gun to my head" thankfully there is no insane assassin putting my life at risk while also giving me the incredible power to edit sekiro and the memories of all that have played it. im sorry if you we re genuinely concerned it was a real situation.

Right? I don't have to choose, it's great & nothing like what you said before at all

Stux posted:

and sekiro isnt about what u said at the end. its about incredibly tight boss fights, the best fights theyve ever made bar none lol

Stux posted:

if you got rid of one part of sekiro which would leave it as recogniseably the game sekiro. the cutscenes or the gameplay.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Awesome! posted:

there are arguments for accessibility but this guy’s problem is clearly that he views playing games as ticking a box and he’s getting the shakes because there’s one he can’t tick

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
yeah if you had to get rid of one part. gun to your head hypothetical siuation. is there some sort of reading disorder being spread entirely within this thread.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
also that was in reply to someone saying they wanted to get rid of the other part?? lol

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You should really go visit the friend napping in front of that drawbridge to the left.

Speaking of things this thread was missing:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If you put a gun to my head and asked me which part of Sekiro is more important, the cutscenes or the gameplay, I might think it's a trick question and say the wrong thing. Leave the gun at home if you want a well designed game, in my opinion.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijKXlPE30zA

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the only thing i have to comment on not knowing about popular games is guessthe game likes to have something like call of duty where there's 80 loving iterations and you run out of guesses trying to pinpoint exactly which one it is

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Stux posted:

yeah if you had to get rid of one part. gun to your head hypothetical siuation. is there some sort of reading disorder being spread entirely within this thread.

I'm not sure why "it's not separable to me" is sticking in your craw so much.

"Gun to my head" I guess I'd die

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Andrast posted:

I ignore popular things all the time, you should try it

Oxxidation posted:

there are arguments for accessibility but this guy’s problem is clearly that he views playing games as ticking a box and he’s getting the shakes because there’s one he can’t tick

Awesome! posted:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yes you can OP. It's actually very simple

I'm sorry guys, did I say this attitude applied to me? I ignore games all the time. It's just how I see people react to stuff. A lot of people who don't like Dark Souls cannot stop talking about it. I thought that would be easy enough to understand.

mystes
May 31, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

drat that's a pretty bird

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Hey, sick, I didn't know the sequel to Touhou Mystery Dungeon-like Gensou Wanderer had a now-translated sequel just drop without me noticing. This time the gimmick is entire teams on the field instead of a duet. This rules.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

anilEhilated posted:

You should really go visit the friend napping in front of that drawbridge to the left.

That must be some Australian bird or something because all these new world birds suck

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Nancy posted:

I'm not sure why "it's not separable to me" is sticking in your craw so much.

"Gun to my head" I guess I'd die

alright. i wouldnt, i would live instead.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm sorry guys, did I say this attitude applied to me? I ignore games all the time. It's just how I see people react to stuff. A lot of people who don't like Dark Souls cannot stop talking about it. I thought that would be easy enough to understand.

this is absolutely going to work. flawless parry :thumbsup:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

the only thing i have to comment on not knowing about popular games is guessthe game likes to have something like call of duty where there's 80 loving iterations and you run out of guesses trying to pinpoint exactly which one it is

i'm not mad you're mad

mystes
May 31, 2006

secretly best girl posted:

Hey, sick, I didn't know the sequel to Touhou Mystery Dungeon-like Gensou Wanderer had a now-translated sequel just drop without me noticing. This time the gimmick is entire teams on the field instead of a duet. This rules.
I really don't understand touhou fandom

For content, I just bought powerwash simulator and that's pretty decent if you want a completely mindless game you can do while listening to audiobooks or something

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

gun to my head? I would die rather than not be a part of the general gaming convversation.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

anilEhilated posted:

Put this in the OP.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

mystes posted:

I really don't understand touhou fandom

I mean I'll be honest I don't know dick about Touhou, I just like the very content-heavy mystery dungeon clone which goes "Do you like to abuse systems? We will let you abuse systems".

I might've noticed this 18 months sooner if I was more tuned in, lmao

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 4, 2023

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

drat that’s a cool bird.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
The whole Touhou mythos escapes me as well but there do seem to be a lot of cool Touhou games. There was a SRW-like that looked really cool.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

on the computer posted:

gun to my head? I would die rather than not be a part of the general gaming convversation.

I've never played a Dark Souls game and the only conversations I seem to miss out on seem to reliably devolve into stupid arguments. I think I'm OK with being left out of those.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ultrafilter posted:

I've never played a Dark Souls game and the only conversations I seem to miss out on seem to reliably devolve into stupid arguments. I think I'm OK with being left out of those.
:same:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

on the computer posted:

According to Polygon this makes you racist

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

gun to my head? that's just my head gun that i keep taped there for emergencies

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fuligin posted:

Disagree, ds2 has colors, ds3 has some v attractive areas (irithyll! Dragon monastery place!) but the palette is so muted and dull a lot of the time

Also DS3 inherited Bloodborne's pathological need to have More Detail everywhere. Sure, many areas in DS2 are noticeably stark and that's not necessarily ideal, but places in 3 like the Undead Settlement give me a bit of a headache because there's just so many layers of gribblies and whatsits everywhere. Makes for nice looking screenshots (the pre-poison swamp swamp is particularly pretty, imo) but while playing it gets to be a bit visually exhausting.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

gun to my head? that's just my head gun that i keep taped there for emergencies

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ultrafilter posted:

same but assassins creed

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

John Murdoch posted:

Also DS3 inherited Bloodborne's pathological need to have More Detail everywhere. Sure, many areas in DS2 are noticeably stark and that's not necessarily ideal, but places in 3 like the Undead Settlement give me a bit of a headache because there's just so many layers of gribblies and whatsits everywhere. Makes for nice looking screenshots (the pre-poison swamp swamp is particularly pretty, imo) but while playing it gets to be a bit visually exhausting.

Is there a word or term for this actually? It can absolutely be a deal in modern detailed games where it's hard to visually parse the important part of level geometry cause of the clutter and amount of details.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

FrickenMoron posted:

Is there a word or term for this actually? It can absolutely be a deal in modern detailed games where it's hard to visually parse the important part of level geometry cause of the clutter and amount of details.

john murdoch used it it's greeblies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeble

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wonder what is being talked about in the Steam thread today?

Oh, its a souls game derail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB-wmOYelnM

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
How is the Dwarf Fortress UI now that the game has graphics?
Is it exactly the same level of terrible, unintuitive garbage it has always been or has it been improved?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

GreatGreen posted:

Is it exactly the same level of terrible, unintuitive garbage it has always been or has it been improved?

It's been greatly improved, but I dunno if you'd find it tolerable or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

If the UI/graphics were the only thing stopping you I think they're improved a ton. That was really the only thing stopping me from putting time into the game and now I have 60+ hours. There's still some missing sprites that use placeholder stuff and a few features from the old version aren't in due to how the controls were changed.