Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

super fart shooter posted:

I try most trucks. I wanted to like the Lo4F because it's kinda weird and unique, but it's one of those where the practical uses seem so few and far between. I guess it can carry lots of supplies, but it seems pretty abysmal offroad, and not a very strong trailer hauler either

One truck that I recently tried which drastically exceeded my expectations is the Freightliner with the big useless winch thing on the back. It's very compact, short and narrow, but it's strong as gently caress, and seems to have good ground clearance and suspension. The winch thing does cause some collision problems with certain semi trailers, but usually not unless you're reversing it to over 90 degrees I think. And it can do great just with rear hitched trailers since it's not very long to begin with. I still wish the big winch was actually like a functional super winch, cause how cool would that be, but oh well

The Lo4F is actually very good as a scout to use as a mobile winch point for a truck that's in a very tough spot. It has a great resistance to tip over and is very stable. If you want a use for the van, use it like that!

Devs have shared a couple details on the next phase of content including a couple screenshots. It looks like this next region is a woodlands one and firefighting may be the activity. I guess we will know soon, because it's expected to go on the PTR within a week or two.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Devs have shared a couple details on the next phase of content including a couple screenshots. It looks like this next region is a woodlands one and firefighting may be the activity. I guess we will know soon, because it's expected to go on the PTR within a week or two.

Omg

Estel
May 4, 2010

I try most trucks. I wanted to like the Lo4F because it's kinda weird and unique, but it's one of those where the practical uses seem so few and far between. I guess it can carry lots of supplies, but it seems pretty abysmal offroad, and not a very strong trailer hauler either

Atomizer posted:

Yeah the Loaf has never really impressed me.

The Lo4F doesn't seem so but it's reliable. When it tips over, and it will, most off the time just lands back on it's wheels. It's weird because like the Scout 800 it has a really stiff suspension so it bounces a lot and it's really tippy but instead of falling on it's side like the Scout 800 it will continue rolling until it lands on it's wheels.

It's really fuel efficient even compared to the other scouts and it's small so it can fit wherever you want. Also it's towing power is really surprising, it grips to the ground and you can tow a lot of things that you wouldn't expect it can tow, sometimes I use it to tow trucks that are stuck or just flip trucks that have tipped over, use a tree or something as a support and most of the time it can do it
It's not the best at anything but it's a lot better than most people think. If there is a dirt road, lots of trees or light mud the Lo4F can tackle it easily with no problem, even deep mud if you can use the winch.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

holy poo poo, let's gooooo

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Estel posted:

The Lo4F doesn't seem so but it's reliable. When it tips over, and it will, most off the time just lands back on it's wheels. It's weird because like the Scout 800 it has a really stiff suspension so it bounces a lot and it's really tippy but instead of falling on it's side like the Scout 800 it will continue rolling until it lands on it's wheels.

It's really fuel efficient even compared to the other scouts and it's small so it can fit wherever you want. Also it's towing power is really surprising, it grips to the ground and you can tow a lot of things that you wouldn't expect it can tow, sometimes I use it to tow trucks that are stuck or just flip trucks that have tipped over, use a tree or something as a support and most of the time it can do it
It's not the best at anything but it's a lot better than most people think. If there is a dirt road, lots of trees or light mud the Lo4F can tackle it easily with no problem, even deep mud if you can use the winch.

Well, I’ll give it another shot. I know my opinion on some trucks has changed as I’ve gotten better at the game, so you never know

The truck that still baffles me most is the Royal. In what world is this thing good off-road? Not even talking about mud, this thing can’t seem to handle even slightly bumpy ground. Between the differentials and the suspension, the thing always completely loses power if a single wheel lifts even slightly, which happens a lot, and it just spins uselessly. It’s especially bad going uphill. Ironically, it actually seems like a pretty ok highway truck to me, it’s got ok fuel efficiency and plenty of power, but it struggles so much with the most mildly treacherous terrain

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Tribe Called Cars just posted a video discussing it that shows the screenshots and discusses them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NYxjc22VU0

Firefighting would be interesting. Would fun to get some kind of dedicated fire engine or some kind of heavy duty firefighting rig like they have in airports, etc (like those big Oshkosh trucks)

Estel
May 4, 2010

Well, I’ll give it another shot. I know my opinion on some trucks has changed as I’ve gotten better at the game, so you never know

The truck that still baffles me most is the Royal. In what world is this thing good off-road? Not even talking about mud, this thing can’t seem to handle even slightly bumpy ground. Between the differentials and the suspension, the thing always completely loses power if a single wheel lifts even slightly, which happens a lot, and it just spins uselessly. It’s especially bad going uphill. Ironically, it actually seems like a pretty ok highway truck to me, it’s got ok fuel efficiency and plenty of power, but it struggles so much with the most mildly treacherous terrain

The Royal has a lot of power and it's one of the fastest trucks in the game. You can use the Highrange gearbox and due to it's power you can use the high gear really quickly and most of the time the engine won't get stalled. It doesn't have diff lock but usually you won't notice it until it gets stuck. Also it's very tippy.
It's a weird truck because sometimes is great and sometimes it sucks.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The big cabover trucks can also pack a LO4F on top of the cab. It's of dubious utility but it's very funny because the tires just glue the gently caress down and the rest of it whips around like crazy

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

How can I tell what addons I own in the epic store, it just shows me all of them an I know I have at least one year pass.

Estel
May 4, 2010
If you install the game you can right click it in your library and there is an option called "Manage Addons" or something similar, you can check which ones you have installed.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

SD1ONE just released a video where he ranks all of the current 11 regions in the game - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SgQbqKDqUU

I agree with a lot of his list including the top 3, but having played through all of the DLC's to good degree I disagree a bit in putting the glades as the best one. For me, I think it's Maine. I think that region really strikes a good balance of uniqueness, difficulty, variety in terrain (good mix of snow and mud), and you get some good trucks to look forward to unlocking.

I'm not sure what I'm hoping for exactly in Season 3. I suppose it would be nice to get some regions that on the whole are a bit difficult but that still allow for a variety of trucks to be used. I think I'd like there to be good sections of usable roads, kind of like we got in the glades, but where maybe you have higher difficulty spikes in some terrain areas when you go off road. I dunno really. I like some challenge but it sucks to be locked into using only the S-tier trucks too, as a lot of the fun of the game for me these days in mopping up various regions is using the crazy collection of trucks I've accumulated.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I agree with you. I really liked glades and being able to use old trucks, but man farming pisses me off to where I stopped playing for a while. I wouldn't put it in the top 3 dlc (Maine, Wisconsin, kola) just due to that.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

My top 3 DLC's would be Maine, Kola and then it's tricky for me. I'd probably put the Glades I guess, even though the farming blows, the rest of it is pretty good.

I've actually played Wisconsin the least as after unlocking the trucks I haven't done a lot so given what other folks say about how good it is, I suppose that's the one I need to start focusing on in between new regions.

I liked the Don a lot at first, but then it got really annoying. The distance you drive isn't far, but what's there is very tricky and kind of a slog, and it gets VERY old doing the same thing over and over again. I actually do like Amur a good bit. While yes it's hard, I really do like the isolated feeling it gives.

The one thing I am hoping they do next year is give us a western Europe map that has some Scania or Volvo cabover trucks. I think that is probably the most realistic shot they'd have at doing a highway style map that works- some twisting mountainous roads that have heavy snowfall in spots like you'd find in Norway or something.

I was looking up some heavy firefighting trucks yesterday and if they do go that route for the next region, there's some really wild poo poo they could use for either a North American or Eastern European load-out.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

The one thing I am hoping they do next year is give us a western Europe map that has some Scania or Volvo cabover trucks. I think that is probably the most realistic shot they'd have at doing a highway style map that works- some twisting mountainous roads that have heavy snowfall in spots like you'd find in Norway or something.

Euro trucks are ugly and boring imo, and if you're into that then Euro Truck Sim exists. I'd rather they did something out there, like maybe those big weird soviet Arctic exploration vehicles. Maybe a hovercraft would be funny and challenging to control. Or more opportunities to play with cranes and general physics stuff. I haven't played Yukon much yet, are there any missions that require the CAT telehandler for anything?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just want less United States, if I wanted that I’d go outside

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

Euro trucks are ugly and boring imo, and if you're into that then Euro Truck Sim exists. I'd rather they did something out there, like maybe those big weird soviet Arctic exploration vehicles. Maybe a hovercraft would be funny and challenging to control. Or more opportunities to play with cranes and general physics stuff. I haven't played Yukon much yet, are there any missions that require the CAT telehandler for anything?

I would guess that, assuming the firefighting thing is correct in that we are getting it next, the rest of the seasons of the game involve different types of activities. I would LOVE to have some kind of bulldozing in the game because it would be awesome to clear out certain sections of maps of rocks/snow or other debris that is constantly annoying. Problem with this is the game resets a region after you leave a session so nothing would be persistent, kind of making it moot. I suppose you could have dozers or other heavy equipment if it's used for clearing out specific things that would then stay persistent after being finished, like manually blading a rock slide or something.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I would guess that, assuming the firefighting thing is correct in that we are getting it next, the rest of the seasons of the game involve different types of activities. I would LOVE to have some kind of bulldozing in the game because it would be awesome to clear out certain sections of maps of rocks/snow or other debris that is constantly annoying. Problem with this is the game resets a region after you leave a session so nothing would be persistent, kind of making it moot. I suppose you could have dozers or other heavy equipment if it's used for clearing out specific things that would then stay persistent after being finished, like manually blading a rock slide or something.

True terrain deformation is probably outside the realm of possibility, at least until Snowrunner 2, but yeah, even just being able to clear some of those annoying rockfalls or trap stumps would be a gamechanger.

And speaking of dozers and terrain deformation, I have found this little EA game that looks like an interesting mud-like: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2009350/Out_of_Ore/ Very barebones for now but might be worth it to keep an eye

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

I would like this too... They could implement it by making it a task, where you clear the stuff, and it completes, so those objects don't spawn on map loading anymore

I wish the game had more "fix this spot" tasks like this. It's kinda dumb how you just have to live with the really messed up sections of road even when they're on the main routes that are used heavily. Like, if there's a huge mud pit on the road right outside the garage, which I'm definitely gonna be driving dozens of times, they should have a task for bringing in some logs or concrete slabs or whatever to lay down and drive over. Having to crawl and winch my way though every single time for as long as I play the map kinda gets old

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I know it's Snowrunner but I'd like a tropical location during monsoon season or something like that. Let me drive a truck through a typhoon in Thailand!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

BlackIronHeart posted:

I know it's Snowrunner but I'd like a tropical location during monsoon season or something like that. Let me drive a truck through a typhoon in Thailand!

Ay. Taiwan is not just Taipei.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I would like this too... They could implement it by making it a task, where you clear the stuff, and it completes, so those objects don't spawn on map loading anymore

I wish the game had more "fix this spot" tasks like this. It's kinda dumb how you just have to live with the really messed up sections of road even when they're on the main routes that are used heavily. Like, if there's a huge mud pit on the road right outside the garage, which I'm definitely gonna be driving dozens of times, they should have a task for bringing in some logs or concrete slabs or whatever to lay down and drive over. Having to crawl and winch my way though every single time for as long as I play the map kinda gets old

The game is especially messed up in the sense that you can somehow permanently clear a rock slide by delivering some wooden planks and metal beams or whatever, while you can't push some small boulders or clear the mud off the road.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Give me a bunch of construction type updates. Let me haul a rock machine to a quarry, make gravel, and fill in mud holes.

Let me clear rocks off roads.

Let me cut down trees. etc.

Real talk though, can you crane logs, or do you need a special thing? Tipped a log trailer over in a swamp and leaving them there just ain't me.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

Real talk though, can you crane logs, or do you need a special thing? Tipped a log trailer over in a swamp and leaving them there just ain't me.

Wait a minute, I can't tell if you're being serious here. You've been playing this game for over 2 years and don't know about the log cranes?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Atomizer posted:

Wait a minute, I can't tell if you're being serious here. You've been playing this game for over 2 years and don't know about the log cranes?

I have avoided logging like the plague because it always seemed like an awful chore but its in a base mission in Don.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I started to play through Wisconsin again as I had done zero contract missions, only the truck unlock/upgrade stuff and I dunno if I can do this. That drat river next to the garage in the first map is suuuuuch a slog. I feel like I'm finally at the point in the game where I'm just going to be playing the new regions as they come out and that's that.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Wisconsin is chill as hell and has a pretty cool mission where you have to pull a locomotive. A Twinsteer or ANK should be able to cross that river no problem, which are all the trucks you really need there. Do you have raised suspension unlocked on those?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I actually just started Wisconsin too. Only repairing infrastructure so far but the twinsteer seems to handle the water fine.

What I don’t like is how it seems to have kept the huge cargo requirement numbers from Yukon. Double twinsteer hauling lives on.

What are the new trucks here? I got an upgrade for the Boar and just looked that up and I guess I have to teleport to Russia once and buy it?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I suggest parking the articulated Cat or the Azov Antarctic near the river and just using those to tug other trucks across every time you have to cross. It's easy for those things

Wisconsin is great. I'm actually enjoying the paper mill contracts a lot more than I expected, because you get to roam around all the backroads salvaging materials from all the construction sites. There are so many shortcuts and alternate routes on these maps, but it's easy to miss them at first

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
you can cross uphill of the river if you go out the back way from the garage, there's a path up there for smaller offroad trucks with bridges for them. there is one absolutely gnarly turn where you're cantered bad though. explore around up there in a small scout. can also cross downhill of it but that's pretty dicey with how deep it is

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Wisconsin does the whole 'repeat trip' thing more than I'd like, but I definitely enjoyed it more than Yukon. As others have noted, it is a great place for the Twinsteer.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

More people should play coop because then someone could teach me about log recovery.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Elendil004 posted:

More people should play coop because then someone could teach me about log recovery.

Let the wilderness recover the logs, give back to the forest.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

RandomBlue posted:

Let the wilderness recover the logs, give back to the forest.

Are log spawners infinite or finite?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Depends on the map, Don should be infinite.

You can check on maprunner, I pretty much have it always open when I play

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I spent a while exploring the second map in Maine, and it’s quite something. The western road that goes all the way around seems like the main thoroughfare, until I realized it’s got all these thin ice sections, sometimes with little to no winch points, and there aren’t always detours I don’t think. So it seems like it’s kinda useless for actually hailing anything, unless I use my caterpillar to tug everything through the broken ice each time, which sounds awful. But how are you supposed to get around then? Do you just drive through the forest everywhere? Seems kinda feasible maybe, except there’s also lots of thin ice there and it’s even harder to see exactly where it is on the map. Doesn’t seem like a lot of fun

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Second map on Maine is rough. If memory serves, one of the garage restoration contracts needs a lot from the second map, but you should rely on add-ons and trailers instead of doing the contract early.

There's a rough set of tasks in the middle of the Maine map that are well suited to off-roaders and the azov7, but for big deliveries you really just want to power through with the zikz as one of your trucks. It's one of the only 3 that can push through ice and the only one that can carry cargo (745 can't) without falling over (4220). I believe you end up taking stuff to a bridge repair just doing the main road with that.

Theres also a few roads that go north south along the river, the one on the west isn't bad at all. The east ones are pretty rough and require offroading.

I recommend doing a lot of the small scout tasks in the yar, tuz, f750 etc, do the contests, and really get a feel for the map. Theres also one task to repair a wooden bridge that accomplishes absolutely nothing, I never used that bridge.

I stalled early on Maine because it's really hard to plan but it's quite an excellent map by the time you conquer it. It's kind of the opposite of Yukon - there's a lot of routes to choose from , so it feels kind of weird to do tasks to open up roads you never need. But the variety is good.

Also, bring fuel and don't forget about the shortcut by the houses to avoid the big dumb rock

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 10, 2023

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

You can also drive along the main road just fine if you know a few tricks to navigating ice patches. For the first couple of ice/mud patches, you can just skirt around the edge of the ice through the snow bank. For the big ones in the northern part, the border between ice and water that is made out of big broken ice chunks - that is always solid and will never sink. Same thing works in Kola. The jagged pieces might damage your suspension a bit, but it's a safe zone.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I joined a random game this morning to get in a quickie before work. Landed in Smithville, pretty common. I see the host is in the middle of the map, doing one of the contracts to haul a maintenance trailer to the service base in the NW corner, so I pick another contract that includes bringing consumables back to BR. I exit the garage and as I head to the farm I run into the roadblock right to the W of the garage. This is the first red flag. It's the kind of roadblock that I'd completely forgotten about because everybody else already has it cleared by the time I join in their game. And this guy has clearly been up to the garage to discover it, as I was able to spawn there. So I take the 2 minutes to go back east to get the cargo to clear the blockage, take care of that, get consumables from the farm, then go to BR.

Shortly thereafter, I run into the rockslide to the north of the town. Second red flag. So this is pretty weird, the guy got to Smithville the hard way, by taking the muddy side roads to the W or N instead of just bringing the nearby cargo to clear the rockslide and taking the main road. I take a closer look at the map, and he's done more or less none of the obstacle clearing & bridge building, (and many or all tasks remain un-accepted) but somehow he's working on the more complicated contracts. Ok... :rolleyes: Anyways, I go to the garage to maybe get another truck to use to clear the rockslide, and as I swing around the front I notice his clearly customized CK1500...and the AWD upgrade for the Fleetstar. Not the truck itself, just the upgrade, sitting right there in the same "can't miss it" spot it's always in at the start of everyone's game. Final red flag. The guy went around the free upgrade, got the truck, then went to Smithville. :psyduck: Like, I can't even begin to fathom what the hell this player is doing. Maybe it's a dumb kid? I mean, they don't know how to play the game, but somehow they're doing contracts? :shrug: I'll point out for the newer players who've showed up in the thread that the Fleetstar (and the Chevy pickup) are starter/learner trucks, where they get most/all of their upgrades early and teach you how to play the game. Avoiding the upgrades defeats the purpose.

So, I do the only thing I can think of to be helpful at that point, and use my DAN to crane his Chevy up onto the roof of the garage. :patriot: #MissionAccomplished

Elendil004 posted:

I have avoided logging like the plague because it always seemed like an awful chore but its in a base mission in Don.

Yeah but you asked if there's a log crane and you can just see it in the add-ons section for a lot of the trucks. However...

Elendil004 posted:

...it's actually kind of a pain in the rear end to use and not very similar to the cargo cranes. Assuming logs are infinite in that area, I'd suggest deleting any spilled ones and just getting another [auto-]load.

------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and I just remembered something I've been meaning to share for a while. Remember several weeks back when I complained about players with too many trucks strewn all over the place, and you guys thought that was normal, and then I showed you this one player who, on Smithville, had like 55 trucks around the garage? And you thought he was just displaying his collection there? Well, I ran into him about a week after that, and you were all wrong:

He moved out almost all of those trucks, mainly to the warehouses in the center and SW of the map, but also in smaller groups to various spots (like, a half dozen trucks and a fuel tanker for whatever reason.) This guy is playing with 55 trucks. On the second map of the game. :psyboom: I can only imagine what he'll do if he ever reaches Imandra. :allears:

(And for those wondering, he didn't kick me this time, and I actually did a task or two for him. The game still chugged though, with all those [unnecessary] trucks cluttering up the place.)

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 10, 2023

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Have you checked how many hours they have played? Maybe it's some masohistic challenge run 'all contracts with no routes unlocked' or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Well thanks to this thread I went at Wisconsin last night and have finished most of the bridge/logistical things and got most of the factories back online and it's actually a lot of fun. I had no idea about the locomotive quest but that was pretty cool.

What made Wisconsin fun was that I was trying to use US trucks only and then last night said F it and brought in all of the Russian ones and THAT made it fun.

Also, this upcoming weekend I'm going to do the r/c Snowrunner thing again with some local buddies and it should be fun. I'm also VERY close to pulling the trigger on the scale MAZ (Zikz 605) that Cross RC sells. It's ridiculous in person in how big it is and it's also crazy expensive for r/c kit. https://www.crossrc.us/shop/bc-8-mammoth-flagship-version/ My friend has one and it's probably the coolest r/c truck I've seen in person.