Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

kojima rear end names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
kojima would name asses

An Jung-geun
Sep 2, 2022

mawarannahr posted:

Aug 21, 1994 — Elizabeth Charissa Economy, an associate fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations, was married yesterday to David Michael Wah, a vice president in the investment banking division of CS First Boston. Both work in New York. The Rev. Demetri Kantzavelos performed the ceremony at the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Chicago.

The rare but not unheard of "I can't be racist against Chinese people, my wife husband is Chinese"

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

can't be racist economy spouse

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

this is funny to me.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
this dude has been on a tear recently

https://twitter.com/sidhant/status/1610107866849095680?t=240cSMwV-9h9NTzZTE6Rkw&s=19

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Jaishankar (and Lee Hsien Loong) speak the less amount of bullshit among all the Foreign minister level and higher government officers.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Look we brought you here to shame you and your country, please do not call out our hypocrisy it is a whataboutism

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.politico.eu/article/european-countries-covid-china-bloc-wide-response-measures-travelers/

lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
it would be funny if western hatred and fear of russia and china resulted in them implementing good environmental and covid policies

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

it's just gonna be more racism

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

So they are demanding pre-departure testing and possibly masks on flights, but only from China… even though literally the rest of the world has had ceaseless waves of COVID.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

i'm shocked... we bucked the trend

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/481906/new-zealand-will-not-impose-entry-restrictions-on-travellers-from-china
https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/govt-reminds-international-arrivals-test-covid

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

i can fix her

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

she's not one of the people with 加 油 on their head

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1610683654921150464?t=AGGQyCDFErvLO6beLfJmdg

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

amazing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

you can't trust the neutrals

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Obvious Leica sent the component to their partner Huawei to calibrate

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

what neoliberal economics does to a mfer

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

stephenthinkpad posted:

Obvious Leica sent the component to their partner Huawei to calibrate

Leica/Huawei collab already ended, its Leica/Xiaomi now.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I hope they fixed it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
huawei li ning collab when

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

I hope they fixed it.

same except fix as a euphemism for neutering

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

State dept and White House turning up the racism dial considerably. they're deeply concerned about the genetics of the virus that will surely emerge from China because China isn't monitoring enough.

here's NED Price just answering questions:

quote:

QUESTION: I have questions on China.

MR PRICE: Okay, sure.

QUESTION: Thanks. Restrictions on people traveling from China to the U.S. go into effect in a couple of days. Chinese officials as recently as earlier today called this a political move not based on science. They are vowing to reciprocate. How do you respond?

MR PRICE: Well, this was and this is an approach that is based solely and exclusively on science. Ever since the earliest days of this administration, we have based these types of decisions – that are made, by the way, by the CDC in close consultation with this Department of State and others – but that are based on science, that are based on epidemiology, that are based on the very public health concerns that undergird them.

In this case, due to the surge of COVID-19 cases in the PRC, and the lack of adequate and transparent epidemiological and viral genomic sequence data being reported from the PRC, we’re taking deliberate, proactive steps to slow the spread of COVID-19, and to be on alert for any potential COVID-19 variants emerging. These data are critical to monitor the case surge effectively and to decrease the chance for the entry of a novel variant of concern.

Other countries have been driven by the same concerns and have applied similar measures during the current surge of COVID cases in the PRC. As we’ve said, and Secretary Blinken said the last time he was here, we have offered the PRC vaccines and other COVID-19 support. The PRC has indicated publicly that it appreciates the offer, but doesn’t need the support. We continue to stand by that offer.
. . .

QUESTION: COVID and China.

MR PRICE: One – okay. Go ahead. Sure.

QUESTION: Obviously, you and other U.S. officials and the World Health Organization has repeatedly asked and pressured China to share more data about the COVID cases in the country right now. Is there anything the Biden administration can do to compel them to share that information? Because it’s obviously dangerous for the rest of the world, so will they face any cost if they don’t?

MR PRICE: Well, I wouldn’t want to get ahead of where we are, and I understand that PRC officials are meeting with WHO officials today on this very question. This is ultimately a question for the World Health Organization, as the body that is in receipt or at least should be in receipt of much of this genomic and epidemiological data. It is not only in the rest of the world’s interest that the PRC does this because of the potential emergence of variants – something we’ve seen from other parts of the world before – but it’s also profoundly in the PRC’s interest to demonstrate that they are being transparent, that they’re being candid, that they are being forthcoming when it comes to the toll and the genetic makeup of the virus that is circulating inside the PRC.

KJP delivers the White House messaging:

quote:

Q And then, separately, does the White House have any response — there’s some pretty sharp rhetoric coming out of Beijing today in response to the testing measures that the U.S. and other countries have put in place on Chinese travelers over the last week or so. Has the White House seen that, and is there any response to that?

MS. JEAN-PIERRE: Yeah, so, we’ve seen that. Look, I will not speak for China, but I’ll be — but I’ll say this: There’s no cause for retaliation here just because countries around the world are taking prudent health measures to protect their citizens. That’s what you’re seeing from us and others.

This decision is based on public health and science. This is coming from our experts here. And other countries like Japan, like South Korea, the UK, France, India, Italy, Malaysia are also taking similar public steps here.

The World Health Organization is calling on China to release more data, which is vital to the identity — to identify any potential variants.

Again, there is no need for retaliation. This is something that all — all of us, other countries are doing to make sure that we are protecting our citizens here.

Go ahead, Mary.

Before you ask your question, I just wanted to offer my condolences and the administration’s condolences to your loss. And it was — we were all very sad to hear about the passing of the executive producer of “This Week,” of Dag [Dax]. And I got to meet him a couple of times. He was an incredibly kind and wonderful individual, very smart, and clearly passionate about his work, and served as a — such a mentor.

And so, we — you know, our hearts and prayers go out to the ABC News family, to his wife, and his very young children. And, again, our condolences.

The person who died was Dax Tejera of ABC:

quote:

In October, Dax Tejera was at the home of Dr. Anthony Fauci as ABC "This Week" co-anchor Jonathan Karl prepared to interview the White House's chief medical adviser on the eve of his retirement from public service.

It was the latest of many newsmaker interviews Tejera had supervised in his years as a TV producer, including at the helm of "This Week."

He arrived early that day to Fauci's home, checking in, approving camera setups, making calls.

One small detail did not escape his attention: As prep for the interview, Tejera had wanted the "This Week" team to track down a Fauci bobblehead to potentially use during questions about Fauci's sudden fame the last few years. Once the interview wrapped, "Dax asked me for the Fauci bobblehead so he could have Dr. Fauci sign it. He told me he would give it to his two daughters so they could have a part of history," Lauren Lantry, a segment producer on "This Week," recalled.

. . .

Tejera died on Dec. 23 from a heart attack, leaving behind a wife, Veronica, and daughters Sofia and Ella. He was 37.

On top of this, his wife is being charged criminally for leaving the kids at home while they went to the restaurant where he died:

quote:

ABC News producer Dax Tejera and his wife, Veronica, are being accused of leaving their kids alone in the hours leading up to Dax's fatal heart attack last month.

In a statement shared with ET, the 33-year-old mother-of-two, who is facing criminal charges, said she made a "poor decision" by leaving their 2-year-old and 5-month-old daughters alone on the evening of Dec. 23.
. . .
"When Dax collapsed on December 23rd, I accompanied him in an ambulance to the hospital. I asked both a close friend and my parents to rush to my children’s hotel room to attend to them as I monitored them by camera. The hotel would not allow my friend in and instead called the NYPD," the statement continued. "We had two cameras trained on my children as they slept, and I monitored them closely in the time I was away from them. While the girls were unharmed, I realize that it was a poor decision."

Impressive to impugn China and acknowledge this sudden departure in the same infected breath

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

:thunk:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/SuspendedRobot/status/1610403482334556161?t=6xS-j4GbR8nOxZS9bh1xag&s=19

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

we here in psycho nation that has let millions die are very concerned about this virus

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

"capitalism is good" brains surprised by capitalists did capitalism

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

did anyone consider that taiwan put "china" on the return address and switzerland shrugged and mailed it

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

covid for me, but not for thee!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

redneck nazgul posted:

did anyone consider that taiwan put "china" on the return address and switzerland shrugged and mailed it

but have you considered the swiss was forced to be greedy by the seeseepee

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I would be so mad if that was my missile. Just livid

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the military supply chain is already integrated. time to dispense with the fiction of the RoC

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
All you guys cracking jokes on the Taiwan missile, obviously are not aware of the best story of the Hsiung III

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hsiung_Feng_III_missile_mishap

quote:

The Chin Chiang PGG-610 (Chinese: 金江號) patrol ship was undergoing a regular simulation training exercise for military equipment on the morning of 1 July (Friday) at Zuoying Naval Base in Zuoying District, Kaohsiung. The missile was accidentally launched at 8:00 a.m. during an inspection at the navy base. The missile cruised around 75 kilometres (47 mi) for two minutes towards mainland China before hitting a Taiwanese fishing boat. The missile did not explode upon impact. The navy sent a helicopter and navy vessels to the area for damage inspection.[3]

The mishap killed the Taiwanese boat's captain and injured its three crew members, from Taiwan, the Philippines and Vietnam.[3]

The missile did not cross the median line of the Taiwan Strait, which separates Taiwan and mainland China.[4]

An investigation of the incident concluded in August 2016.[5][6] Three ROC naval officers were charged by the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors Office.[7] The Ministry of Justice announced in November that the family of captain Huang Wen-chung would be paid NT$34.84 million in compensation.[8] The Control Yuan voted against impeachment proceedings for nine naval officers in July 2017.[9] The Kaohsiung District Court issued its first ruling on the case that September, sentencing Petty Officer Second Class Kao Chia-chun to eighteen months imprisonment, Chief Petty Officer Chen Ming-hsiu to 24 months imprisonment, and Lieutenant Junior Grade Hsu Po-wei to fourteen months imprisonment.[10] The Control Yuan held a second vote and began impeachment proceedings against nine naval officers in February 2018.[11] The next month, the Control Yuan advised that communication between the Executive Yuan and Ministry of National Defense be improved.[12] The Kaohsiung bench of the Taiwan High Court reduced Chen Ming-hsiu's sentence to 21 months in June 2018.[13]

The missile didn't detonate because it was below the designed threshold (either too low or too close to launch site), but still impaled the captain. Afterward the Taiwanese navy sent some navy officers to knee down to apologize to the captain's family. Let me see if I can find some photo.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 02:38 on Jan 5, 2023

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

The missile didn't detonate because it was below the designed threshold (either too low or too close to launch site), but still impaled the captain.

talk about a bullseye

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

yellowcar posted:

it's just gonna be more racism

Has China Won?: The Chinese Challenge to American Primacy - Kishore Mahbubani posted:

[...]

Emotions play as important a role as reason in international relations. It would have been easier for America to accept the rise of another power if China had been a fellow Western democratic power, especially a fellow Anglo-Saxon power. This explains why the power transition from the United Kingdom to the United States went relatively smoothly: one Anglo-Saxon power was giving way to another. No dark emotional overtones accompanied this transition. By contrast, China is a very different culture and has always been perceived to be different in the Western imagination. Between America and China, there is a natural and legitimate concern: Will they understand us, our interests and values? Will we understand them?

To make matters worse, there has been buried deep in the unconscious of the Western psyche an inchoate but real fear of the “yellow peril.” Since it is buried deep in the unconscious, it seldom surfaces. When senior American policymakers make their decisions on China, they can say with all sincerity that they are driven by rational, not emotional, considerations. Yet, to an external observer, it is manifestly clear that America’s reactions to China’s rise are influenced by deep emotional reactions, too. Just as individual human beings have difficulty unearthing the unconscious motives that drive our behavior, countries and civilizations also have difficulty unearthing their unconscious impulses.

It is a fact that the yellow peril has lain buried in Western civilization for centuries. Napoleon famously alluded to it when he said, “Let China sleep; when she awakes she will shake the world.” Why did Napoleon refer to China and not to India, an equally large and populous civilization? Because no hordes of Indians had threatened or ravaged European capitals. By contrast, hordes of Mongols, a “yellow race,” had appeared at Europe’s doorstep in the thirteenth century. As Noreen Giffney recounts: “in 1235, Mongol armies invaded Eastern Europe and the Rus’ principalities between 1236 and 1242. […] The Mongol onslaught was followed by a swift and mysterious withdrawal to the surprise and relief of Westerners.”*
Giffney has traced how European writers in the thirteenth century constructed the Mongols as “monstrous” beings, following the latter’s invasion of Europe:

Following their invasion of Christendom and its neighboring territories, the Mongols were subjected to much hostile scrutiny in a variety of writings, where they were identified as “lawless Ishmaelites,” “accursed godless ones” and “a host of shedders of Christian blood” (Chronicle of Novgorod, 1914, 82, 83, 82). Their employment of a vast array of military techniques that confounded Western armies, coupled with the apparent invincibility of their ever-swelling army, prompted contemporary observers to describe them as “satellites of Antichrist” (Chronica Majora, 1852, 1:469) and infernal messengers of Satan, hailing from the bowels of Tartarus or hell itself.*

The latent fear of the yellow peril surfaces from time to time in literature and art. As a child living in a British colony, I read the popular Fu Manchu novels. They left a deep impression on me. Subconsciously, I began to believe that the personification of evil in human society came in the form of a slant-eyed yellow man devoid of moral scruples. If I, as a non-Westerner, could internalize this ethnic caricature, I suspect that these subconscious fears have also affected the reactions of American policymakers to the rise of China. This is another reason to feel pessimistic about the future of Sino-American relations. Most Americans would protest that racism does not play a part in their foreign policy, but many Asians (and not just Chinese) would agree with me.

[...]

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

redneck nazgul posted:

it's china's missile! it's supposed to be there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

Why did Napoleon refer to China and not to India, an equally large and populous civilization? Because no hordes of Indians had threatened or ravaged European capitals.

No doubt the image of ravaging oriental hordes plays a part but I feel like India as a distinct country not existing at the time might have been a more important reason