Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

HopperUK posted:

[Dwarf Fortress UI] has been greatly improved, but I dunno if you'd find it tolerable or not.

Mr E posted:

If the [Dwarf Fortress] UI/graphics were the only thing stopping you I think they're improved a ton. That was really the only thing stopping me from putting time into the game and now I have 60+ hours. There's still some missing sprites that use placeholder stuff and a few features from the old version aren't in due to how the controls were changed.

Cool, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

mystes posted:

I really don't understand touhou fandom

its like the japanese version of the tumblr superwholock fandom where it's just a giant blob of people making fanart and fanfiction about other people's fanart and fanfiction all tracing itself back to some vague loose connection with the original media
in touhou it's based on a series of bullet hell games where the characters have like 5 lines of dialogue before you boss fight with them

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 4, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Some of these mission types in MW5 feel absurdly difficult compared to others. The one that has you going around the map to clear/capture a base while destroying artillery and defending like 3 waves of mechs just came up on a relatively low ranked mission series and absolutely hosed my poo poo in. Meanwhile, for less money, in the same system is a simple defense mission that takes like 10 minutes to finish. It's just hard knowing going into a mission if I'm going to get absolutely obliterated even if I'm meeting the tonnage requirements.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 5, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mystes posted:

the songs are usually p good

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

GreatGreen posted:

Cool, thanks!

Goddamn do I respect your editorial bracketing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

its like the japanese version of the tumblr superwholock fandom where it's just a giant blob of people making fanart and fanfiction about other people's fanart and fanfiction all tracing itself back to some vague loose connection with the original media

coincidentally the main thing i know about touhou is from back when the games blew up and everyone would make fanart of the characters as giant blobs because of an inside joke i wasn't in on

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Gonna throw my stick in the fire here. Apologies to anybody sick of the discussion...

Stux posted:

why would they want to add an easy mode to a game whos entire point is its difficulty and the lack of ability to circumvent it? seems pointless doesn t it. and you can always cheat engine yourself to see everything if thats your concern.

Because games are more than just hand-eye coordination exams? They also feature other things like interesting art, characters, music, setting, sensation of mobility, and interactivity with place, etc.

Maybe some people simply like the look and feel of a game and just want to be a tourist in it and explore its world, and should maybe be allowed to see that content even though they have committed the Unforgivable Cardinal Sin According to Goons of not devoting their entire being to butting their heads against a game's impenetrable wall of arbitrary difficulty over and over and over and over and over until they reach the possibility of finally inching their way towards not being utterly poo poo at it enough to progress at all?

Sometimes games are hard, and then sometimes games are Sekiro. I've got no shame in admitting that game was unnecessarily brutally difficult to the detriment of the experience in my opinion, and I would have appreciated a lower difficulty option.

And please don't sit there and say it "wouldn't have worked with the design of the game" because that's just not true. Increase the player health bar by 10x what it is in vanilla, and make health refilling mechanics 10x as potent, and suddenly the game is accessible to a LOT more people, and the feel of the game overall changes minimally. Sekiro isn't "all about difficulty" any more or less than any other game where you could arbitrarily tweak the player's healthbar. You could make the exact same argument about Call of Duty or God of War or Half Life or Doom if those games were also suddenly locked to 1-hit-kill mechanics or whatever.

Some people just suck at video games, but that doesn't mean their money is worth less. Why shouldn't they be able to see everything that anybody else is allowed to see? "But they're missing out the feeling of a very specific trial>error>risk>reward sequence!" So what? Again, that's not the only way to enjoy video games, and for the people who want that, that's what the higher difficulties are for.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 5, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
if you dont care about the hand eye coordination part and just want interesting art and characters watch a movie or read a novel, imo,

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you make a game that is difficult to complete unless you are very good at it, that is not making the game inaccessible. everyone can access the game. it is just a game that is difficult to complete. i wish i could find the first person to conflate difficulty with accessibility and poke them in the eye.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
All games should have the credits accessible from the main menu so that when you decide you can't or won't go any further you can just run the credits and count the game as complete. Speedrunners have been doing it for decades

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

if you dont care about the hand eye coordination part and just want interesting art and characters watch a movie or read a novel, imo,

Oh cool please tell me what movie I can watch or book I can read that lets me personally explore the world of Sekiro at my own pace with a controllable avatar.

Cowcaster posted:

if you make a game that is difficult to complete unless you are very good at it, that is not making the game inaccessible. everyone can access the game. it is just a game that is difficult to complete. i wish i could find the first person to conflate difficulty with accessibility and poke them in the eye.

This is true if you're only talking about a game's opening sequences. A game is often a lot more than its opening.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Video Games.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

false

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

GreatGreen posted:

Gonna throw my stick in the fire here. Apologies to anybody sick of the discussion...

Because games are more than just hand-eye coordination exams? They also feature other things like interesting art, characters, music, setting, sensation of mobility, and interactivity with place, etc.

Maybe some people simply like the look and feel of a game and just want to be a tourist in it and explore its world, and should maybe be allowed to see that content even though they have committed the Unforgivable Cardinal Sin According to Goons of not devoting their entire being to butting their heads against a game's impenetrable wall of arbitrary difficulty over and over and over and over and over until they reach the possibility of finally inching their way towards not being utterly poo poo at it enough to progress at all?

Sometimes games are hard, and then sometimes games are Sekiro. I've got no shame in admitting that game was unnecessarily brutally difficult to the detriment of the experience in my opinion, and I would have appreciated a lower difficulty option.

And please don't sit there and say it "wouldn't have worked with the design of the game" because that's just not true. Increase the player health bar by 10x what it is in vanilla, and make health refilling mechanics 10x as potent, and suddenly the game is accessible to a LOT more people, and the feel of the game overall changes minimally. Sekiro isn't "all about difficulty" any more or less than any other game where you could arbitrarily tweak the player's healthbar. You could make the exact same argument about Call of Duty or God of War or Half Life or Doom if those games were also suddenly locked to 1-hit-kill mechanics or whatever.

Some people just suck at video games, but that doesn't mean their money is worth less. Why shouldn't they be able to see everything that anybody else is allowed to see? "But they're missing out the feeling of a very specific trial>error>risk>reward sequence!" So what? Again, that's not the only way to enjoy video games, and for the people who want that, that's what the higher difficulties are for.

they dont have to and you arent owed it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
and its frankly that simple

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

explosivo posted:

Some of these mission types in MW5 feel absurdly difficult compared to others. The one that has you going around the map to clear/capture a base while destroying artillery and defending like 3 waves of mechs just came up on a relatively low ranked mission series and absolutely hosed my poo poo in. Meanwhile, for less money, in the same system is a simple defense mission that takes like 10 minutes to finish. It's just hard knowing going into a mission if I'm going to get absolutely obliterated even if I'm meeting the tonnage requirements.

I mean, unless they patched it since last august, there's a rating to how difficult the mission will be. But also, since most of them are procgenned and not designed at all, you shouldn't take missions on that will gently caress your poo poo in. This principle also applies to Battletech 2018. If the enemy goes first and kills half your lance with their half a dozen SRM trucks it's time to leave.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Stux posted:

they dont have to and you arent owed it

Lol of course they don't have to and of course I'm not owed it. It's their game, they can do what they like.

But the game is worse because of it.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Does anyone have an arcadey fishing game they like on Steam? Fishing Star World Tour on Switch is along the lines of what I’m looking for.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

GreatGreen posted:

Lol of course they don't have to. It's their game, they can do what they like.

But their game is worse because of it.

it isnt. some people just have a problem with their brain where instead of going "ah, not for me" and moving on with their lives, they decide that design decisions they dont like are Objective Faults, presumably because of an underdeveloped ability to engage with media.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

mystes posted:

A guy made a series of popular top-down shooters and is really permissive about fangames in a country with strict copyright laws, so there's a lot of indie games that either directly use touhou or take inspiration from it. That's about it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Stux posted:

it isnt. some people just have a problem with their brain where instead of going "ah, not for me" and moving on with their lives, they decide that design decisions they dont like are Objective Faults, presumably because of an underdeveloped ability to engage with media.

You're strawmanning pretty hard here. I didn't say Sekiro's lack of difficulty options is an Objective Fault. I'm saying it was a poor design decision, which is an opinion, which is inherently subjective. I fully acknowledge that my own opinions are not Universal Truths.

Also, I'm sorry you feel that the ability to conceptualize something in terms of its individual elements and envision how one or many of them could be improved to the advantage of the entire form is a "brain problem."

Do you also think there's something wrong with people who take their off-the-rack suits to a tailor? Do you think everybody who buys a suit off the rack that doesn't immediately fit just say "ah, not for me" and move on?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 5, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's not a soulsborne game unless the discourse surrounding it is loving insufferable

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

GreatGreen posted:

Do you also think there's something wrong with people who take their off-the-rack suits to a tailor? Do you think everybody who buys a suit off the rack that doesn't immediately fit just say "ah, not for me" and move on?
in the suit world, this is called "modding"

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Why did they make baseball when they could have made tee-ball? Poor design decision IMO.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

in the suit world, this is called "modding"

lol

Volte posted:

Why did they make baseball when they could have made tee-ball? Poor design decision IMO.

If baseball was a single player game, then yeah they should give you the option to make it tee-ball if that's all you want to do to engage with the entertainment product you bought.

It also feels like you're also conflating "give people an easier option" with "neuter everything for everybody just o make the worst players feel better" which isn't what I'm saying at all.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 5, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
This question is definitely not going to be resolved here in the Steam thread.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

GreatGreen posted:

You're strawmanning pretty hard here. I didn't say Sekiro's lack of difficulty options is an Objective Fault. I'm saying it was a poor design decision, which is an opinion, which is inherently subjective. I fully acknowledge that my own opinions are not Universal Truths.

Also, I'm sorry you feel that the ability to conceptualize something in terms of its individual elements and envision how one or many of them could be improved to the advantage of the entire form is a "brain problem."

dont be sorry, youre the one with the problem

truly bizarre analogy also

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Lol of course they don't have to and of course I'm not owed it. It's their game, they can do what they like.

But the game is worse because of it.
I understand wanting to explore a game's world and story at your own pace. Hypothetically though, if you had to rate a game out of 10, and you decided that the game deserved a lower score because you couldn't play it the way that you wanted to, even though it wasn't designed or advertised that way, I don't really think that's fair.

I think it's a bit strange to go out out of your way to buy it anyway, even when you know that isn't the experience you want.

Sailor Dave fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 5, 2023

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

GreatGreen posted:

lol

If baseball was a single player game, then yeah they should give you the option to make it tee-ball if that's all you want to do to engage with the entertainment product you bought.

this. also crime and punishment should have a version wehre all the words are shorter and there are only 50 pages. its frankly ridiculous they did not provide this option for solo readers who want to engage with the entertainment product they bought.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I mean, unless they patched it since last august, there's a rating to how difficult the mission will be. But also, since most of them are procgenned and not designed at all, you shouldn't take missions on that will gently caress your poo poo in. This principle also applies to Battletech 2018. If the enemy goes first and kills half your lance with their half a dozen SRM trucks it's time to leave.

You are right it just feels sometimes like two missions on the same rating will be wildly different in terms of difficulty but I really think it's just the one mission type that I have the most trouble with. Either way, I took this to look into some mods and picked up the AI Mod to make my mechs behave less stupid and that has really helped a lot. I also grabbed the coyote mission types mod which adds a bunch of new missions. I think it also remixes standard missions to make them harder lol so I guess we'll see how it goes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Can we please move the interminable 'Dark Souls should have a difficulty slider / people who want easier games are just bad at games' conversation to its own thread if you really must have it?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Stux posted:

dont be sorry, youre the one with the problem

truly bizarre analogy also

If you're going to have a discussion with someone you disagree with, insulting them instead of refuting their ideas isn't going to help your position.

Sailor Dave posted:

I understand wanting to explore a game's world and story at your own pace. Hypothetically though, if you had to rate a game out of 10, and you decided that the game deserved a lower score because you couldn't play it the way that you wanted to, even though it wasn't designed or advertised that way, I don't really think that's fair.

I think it's a bit strange to go out out of your way to buy it anyway, even when you know that isn't the experience you want.

This I agree with. it absolutely would be unfair to judge it on what it *could be* vs what it is. It is a great game. I just think it would be better and more playable for more people with a difficulty option.

...And that's it for my Sekiro discussion in the thread for now. Didn't mean for things to get heated, just wanted the world to know there's one more person out there who thinks difficulty options are good.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 5, 2023

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Edit: Sorry, didn't see mod post. I'll drop it

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Remember, there's no Lunar New Year sale this year, so next big sale I think will be late March

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
i prefer to think of it less as a discussion and more as teaching. someones got to try and fill that hole you call a head with actual thought otherwise you might just carry on like this for the rest of your life.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Any last minute buys that people grabbed this sale and found were unexpectedly great?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

HopperUK posted:

Any last minute buys that people grabbed this sale and found were unexpectedly great?

I've not played crash 4 yet but I just know it's gonna own

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hesitation is defeat

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

HopperUK posted:

Technically I grabbed it last sale but Symphony of War: Nephilim Saga has been my sleeper hit of the year (after Vampire Survivors of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

kazil posted:

Sekiro has a giant ape that farts on you and tosses its poo poo at you

10/10 game

My older brother does all that while I’m playing DigDug and it’s not as great as you seem to imply :argh: