Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Daboll made the playoffs with dogs poo poo and Shannahan might win the superbowl with the last guy drafted. I dont think he’s a shoe in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

whatis posted:

some of this is me being a homer but between how he handled the shooting in buffalo during the offseason, the numerous high-profile injuries, the game moved to detroit, the team getting stuck in chicago due to the blizzard, and now this thing with hamlin...the team has performed excellently in spite of tons of challenges on and off the field. mcdermott should be a shoe-in for coach of the year, yeah?

Brian daboll

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Ugh, I wasn't going to post about this but I have to talk about it because it's just swimming in my brain right now. One of my bandmates in high school died from an asthma attack during a field show. The conductor stopped us moments after he collapsed and didn't get back up. We thought he tripped at first but realized something was wrong because normally "the show must go on". We stood at attention for what felt like hours until the adults figured out what was really happening. We marched off the field after that and the entire event was cancelled. I was loving distraught even though I wasn't his best friend or anything and those were really close to him were even worse off. The school let anyone who was there or knew him to take a week off from school (as long as you were in the band room (probably to track the children)). The band director cancelled our next show, too. There were probably 200+ people coming in and out of the band room every day to mourn and pay respects. It also hailed on his birthday, which was the Friday after he passed. I'm from Los Angeles so hail never happens. I was never religious but on that day it felt like he was literally watching us from heaven. Nicest dude on the planet and one of the best drummers I'd ever seen. I know we were just kids at the time but this kind of thing is insane to witness and I don't think adults should be treated any differently in a traumatic situation like that. Cancel the drat game.

Take care, Hamlin. We're rooting for you.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The bills performed basically how they were expected to perform so unless there is no better candidate he just isn’t there

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
daboll is a good choice too i guess but the giants are dog poo poo in sheep's clothing

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Move this discussion to N/V please

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
sorry

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Oooof, that is rough. I always hear stories about "the kid that died in high school" and somehow I was fortunate enough to never have to memorialize a classmate.

I guess there are no new updates on his condition this evening? Looks like the GFM is getting close to $6.8, but definitely slowing down this afternoon.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

seiferguy posted:

Imagine if it was Bill Belichick on either side.

We're on to.... Cincinnati? Or... gently caress.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Knocking on almost 48hrs without any sort of "real" news or updates.

Is this fairly standard? I think people were mentioning that we likely wouldn't know much for at least a few days.

I just hope that this isn't a situation where no news is bad news :ohdear: :pray:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

No news in this case isn't great news but it's not bad news either. "The situation hasn't changed" is better than "things have gotten worse"

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Keep in mind that you don’t come back from a bad case of death overnight. There are no doctors that good.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

TheKevman posted:

Is this fairly standard? I think people were mentioning that we likely wouldn't know much for at least a few days.

I just hope that this isn't a situation where no news is bad news :ohdear: :pray:

the doctor espn was bringing on all the time yesterday essentially said it was fairly normal to keep someone intubated for up to 72 hours to evaluate after a cardiac arrest
of course i have no idea myself

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
um...is this a fake "live" press conference feed thats shilling crypto?

[video type=":gas:[/video]

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 5, 2023

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

Chinatown posted:

um...is this a fake "live" press conference feed thats shilling crypto?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKgymoByBTo

clickbait title, replies disabled, nothing but the crypto scam in chat, chat otherwise disabled. hmm not sure

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
anyone try the deal? my buttcoin is in teh dumps lately.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Hey it’s probably worth deleting that link because like an idiot I clicked it and immediately turned it off, but the views ratcheting up puts it higher in the algorithm and increases the chance those pieces of poo poo catch someone with a scam.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Ugh, I wasn't going to post about this but I have to talk about it because it's just swimming in my brain right now. One of my bandmates in high school died from an asthma attack during a field show. The conductor stopped us moments after he collapsed and didn't get back up. We thought he tripped at first but realized something was wrong because normally "the show must go on". We stood at attention for what felt like hours until the adults figured out what was really happening. We marched off the field after that and the entire event was cancelled. I was loving distraught even though I wasn't his best friend or anything and those were really close to him were even worse off. The school let anyone who was there or knew him to take a week off from school (as long as you were in the band room (probably to track the children)). The band director cancelled our next show, too. There were probably 200+ people coming in and out of the band room every day to mourn and pay respects. It also hailed on his birthday, which was the Friday after he passed. I'm from Los Angeles so hail never happens. I was never religious but on that day it felt like he was literally watching us from heaven. Nicest dude on the planet and one of the best drummers I'd ever seen. I know we were just kids at the time but this kind of thing is insane to witness and I don't think adults should be treated any differently in a traumatic situation like that. Cancel the drat game.

I appreciate you sharing this story and sorry for your loss. Kinda cool though, with hail being percussive.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

TheKevman posted:

Cardiac arrest with ROSC has set workflows for treatment and prognostication. Considering the addition of ARDS I doubt there will be much news for the rest of the week, unless it's bad news.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Didnt someone say he was showing encouraging signs?

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

adaz posted:

and jim irsay just gave 25,003.
love when NFL teams an d owners on up each other on charity drives

the commanders gave $5k according to top donors, so smdh, once again, at Dan Snyder

Matt Stafford gave more on his own!!!

Question is now how many other teams/owners get in on this.

Other notable names on the top list: Shannon Sharpe, Michael Phelps, Davante and Devanne Adams, both McCourty twins, Mac Jones and his family, at least four fantasy leagues, Russell Wilson AND his foundation, Wink Martindale, Josh McDaniels.

Honestly, it does warm my heart a little to see how much support has poured in. Lotta good can be done with that kind of money.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Didnt someone say he was showing encouraging signs?

I believe they said it was requiring less oxygen to be delivered. That’s not a very good prognostication tool since it lacks the ventilators driving pressure (peep).

Without a lung injury he’d be in a period of reduced sedation to see neuro status.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Weebly posted:

I believe they said it was requiring less oxygen to be delivered. That’s not a very good prognostication tool since it lacks the ventilators driving pressure (peep).

Without a lung injury he’d be in a period of reduced sedation to see neuro status.

Agent said the uncle (that source) didn't fully understand which isn't a surprise from what he'd said since it had 2 interpretations. Just said that Demar it's showing signs of improvement but wouldn't go into specifics.

Honestly hope everything goes through him or the Bills now so it's communicated clearly.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Mirotic posted:

Honestly, it does warm my heart a little to see how much support has poured in. Lotta good can be done with that kind of money.

It has been the jewel of this lovely situation. This isn't just fans circling their own player, it has turned in to athletes, organizations, owners, and fans in general recognizing that this poo poo really doesn't matter in the end and Damar is fighting for his life because of a game. We will all keep loving that game, but in the end we want everyone to just have fun and stay safe.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

adaz posted:

Yeah, some 30 second clips is what was shown here and there. The one with Zac having his headphones off you can just see Sean is barely keeping it together. The tweet with the sensitive content is what Zac was seeing from the Bills players - josh allen, diggs, etc - wandering around with thousand yard stares and openly weeping. That's when he walked over.

https://twitter.com/rgfray1/status/1610117824214614016
https://twitter.com/GrantB911/status/1610097611385737216
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1610157380267917313
https://twitter.com/SportsContent23/status/1610107405739913218

thanks. Taylor seems like a good dude

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/CameronWolfe/status/1610770109601046528?s=20&t=P2f1U6xjUi8RZ8MCMsUlUg

If that's how the Bengals feel right now I can't imagine what shape the Bills will be in.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Interesting. I would have guessed they would want to get back out and "work out their emotions on the field and play for Damar", but I didn't watch a teammate almost die on said field so I can only imagine how they are feeling.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Lifespan posted:

Interesting. I would have guessed they would want to get back out and "work out their emotions on the field and play for Damar", but I didn't watch a teammate almost die on said field so I can only imagine how they are feeling.

Technically he *did* die briefly, didn't he?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Technically he *did* die briefly, didn't he?

That’s a giant can of worms even with that “technically” in there.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Every man dies. Not every man truly lives.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1610838738006941697?t=HaPW9hmX_QKCWQq_cb7jfw&s=19

Probably best if the game is just called off.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Lifespan posted:

I am surprised too, but I guess it's important to keep in mind the gravity and unprecedented nature of this. Even after just two days its easy to normalize it even though so much of media has been glued to it.

fsif posted:

https://twitter.com/CameronWolfe/status/1610770109601046528?s=20&t=P2f1U6xjUi8RZ8MCMsUlUg

If that's how the Bengals feel right now I can't imagine what shape the Bills will be in.

It's very weird right now as a fan with tickets to Bills Pats. Of course if they decide not to do it, I wouldn't be the least bit upset, but I don't know how I'm going to feel about it if it goes on 'as normal.' I suppose support the players if they play, not much else can be done.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

A make up of the game is definitely not going to happen. At this point it is more a question of if it is a tie or if they act like the game never happened and go purely by win pct.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I don't want to start a D&D/LF chat in here, but the way the players — based on the quote above, on both teams — are reacting really does feel qualitatively different from other serious life-threatening injuries, and I am curious as to why.

Don't get me wrong: it's incredibly traumatic, what happened, and if I were a football player, I would also not be in the headspace to play. But then again, I didn't get selected through a decade+ of being trained to keep playing no matter what gruesome injury happens on my team.

I guess I'm basically wondering how much of this is the particular and unique shock of what happened Sunday (including the treatments on the field); broader pandemic-era shifts in labor power / sensibility / "what's important in life" / etc; something else. I don't know. This just feels really different (as a million other people have said, sorry for the cliche), and the social scientist part of my brain wants to know why.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
We have definitely seen players face life threatening injuries with concussions and all, but not "9 minutes of CPR" immediacy. Usually the worst are things like ACL tears which players absolutely respect and they might be career ending, but not potentially life ending or even life (beyond career) altering.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

There was no thumbs up as he was being carted away, the game was suspended, and we don't know if Hamlin will survive. Players on the field all felt like they watched a teammate die.

There are bad injuries in football but I don't know what else compares to this.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

fsif posted:

There was no thumbs up as he was being carted away

Or middle finger up as Earl Thomas ended his Seahawks career.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I mean the guy died on the field right in front of them. He was without a heartbeat and wasn't breathing for 9 minutes until they were finally able to resuscitate him. That's that definition of clinically dead.

I don't think someone has died in the field in the NFL since the 70s.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Ryan Clark had a great quote about this in the coverage after the game was called Monday, if I can find the exact clip I'll post it (he had a LOT of great words.) He said, paraphrasing, "I don't think I really knew I could die at 24." That really hit a nerve with me, and at least for me helped explain the reactions we saw. Sure these players know there's all kinds of terrible injuries, but they also have been getting the best medicine (more or less) in the world and there's just kind of this expectation of how it goes - this wasn't that. Suddenly the entire structure and staff that sort of protects them from this being life or death is moving at a speed where you know they're scared. You realize that these people aren't thinking "Let's get him to the thumbs up" but "Let's get a loving pulse." That's got to be terrifying. We teach these players who are barely adults to believe they're invincible and they just got it stripped away in seconds - and worse, it's your friend and teammate. You realize that holy gently caress this guy might not make it home, this guy might not make it off the field.

I don't think this has any sort of 'labor power' or similar considerations. I don't think anyone thought about anything except basically total shock and horror because everything they knew about how these things go changed in an extremely graphic and rapid fashion.

Even outside of the initial shock reaction, I don't think today there's players thinking about anything but the sort of grief. I could be wrong - I'm no scientist on group dynamics and behaviors - but I've got to believe its all just motivated on that. You could maybe argue that circumstances have changed around them in such a way that they have some subconscious awareness that they have more say and control than maybe they would have say 5 or 10 years ago, but I don't know if there's a meaningful way to separate and extract that data point from the terrible circumstances.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

And also, like, there was a real spectacle to it. It was an extremely hyped, nationally televised prime time game with lots of eyeballs. The way Hamlin got up like normal then in the blink of an eye (at least clinically) dropped dead… just a very disturbing visual.