Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

BooDooBoo posted:

20c+5c=25c, which is 1 coin more.

But I thinl the point is *other* combinations are going to need less coins with 20c as opposed to 25c

20c+20c=40c, but 25c+5c+10c=40, for example.

We don't have a 25p here, so the 20 makes more sense.

Euro coins average a fewer number of coins to make any amount of change because there are 8 different kinds of coins with a wider range of values available, including 2c and 50c coins, not because .20eu/.25usd shenanigans. With US coins, the average amount of coins to make change under a dollar is 4.6969... coins, if you were to switch the quarter to .20c coins it would be 5.0505... coins. Source: I just plugged every combination into excel and averaged them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I just want to use $1 and $2 and $5 coins for small purchases but I can’t because the USA hates coinage

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I pay with my phone

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I haven't used coins for anything in years aside from having some on hand in case of emergency parking meter needs and such, but when I actually used cash regularly, I would've preferred to get rid of pennies and nickels at the least.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I use cash to moderate stupid poo poo like eating out for lunch at work and the change I accumulate just goes into a piggy bank where it does exactly the same thing but for the vending machine.

Also every once in a while I toss some random denomination of bill into my center console in case somehow I'm stuck somewhere with absolutely no access to electronic cash and I NEED gas or something. It doesn't happen often but earlier this year I got to the grocery store without my wallet and it actually saved me a trip home.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

earlier this year I got to the grocery store without my wallet and it actually saved me a trip home.

The last time this happened to me, I found out you can use your phone to pay at Wegmans, so it's even more pointless.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
As a member of the joyous service industry I love having cash and coinage but the penny at least needs to die. I also just don't like the texture and feel of a penny, some kinda mental quirk of mine. I will say I am fine with quarters but drat we don't need penny's.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I haven't worked retail for more than a decade but when I did I assumed that anyone who payed cash was either a drug dealer or a contractor (i.e. people who don't pay taxes).

Probably didn't help that there were two different biker gangs with headquarters in the vicinity (Hell's Angels and Outlaws) so a decent portion of the customers in general were actually involved in organized crime.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
only dealers and grandparents ever have $50 bills

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I keep a couple of twenties in my phone's case, just in case. Same with the removable insert in my wallet that has my driver's license. The cashless society isn't here yet, and I prefer cash for smaller businesses because it saves them the credit card processing fees they otherwise would have to pay.

There's been plenty of times when paying cash has gotten me preferential treatment or a sweet deal. I wouldn't discount it as a payment method just yet.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'm a grumpy old curmudgeon so I still pay cash for most things that I'm buying in person that come to less than like forty or fifty bucks.

A lot of stores have already started rounding to the nearest nickel when giving change, and I'm completely on board with this. Honestly they could safely go to the nearest dime or even the quarter.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
the only times i, as a cashier, ever even think about the method a person is paying with are that if you pay with a shitload of singles i assume you probably work for tips, and if you're breaking a hundred on a two-dollar purchase i low-key resent you for cleaning out my till. but like i can't imagine being the kind of person to go "ah, this customer's paying cash, bet they tax-dodge" lol

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The 9 Dash Line was the ROC's idea originally

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Australia used to have copper 1 and 2 cent coins but they were removed from circulation way back in '92, just 26 years after they'd been introduced during decimilazation when we stopped using pennies and florins and pounds back in '66. We also used to have $1 and $2 notes but they were replaced with shiny gold coins in 1984 and 1988.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The smallest danish bill is 50dkk ~ 7.5usd tho I haven't seen one in years, mostly it's 100s

but I basically only ever use cash when giving presents to kids in the family. Doing a mobile transfer is a bit boring for that

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I guess we should acknowledge we're comparing wildly different places in the world now. The US is a long ways away from cashless, other areas not so much. Most small places, mom and pop and food trucks etc round here don't accept cash anymore. The big public reasoning is no cash = no armed robbery.
But it's probably more because there's way less ancillary costs from admin, automatic accounting and taxes, and one less physical thing to bother with

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Alien Nation. Alienation.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I guess we should acknowledge we're comparing wildly different places in the world now. The US is a long ways away from cashless, other areas not so much. Most small places, mom and pop and food trucks etc round here don't accept cash anymore. The big public reasoning is no cash = no armed robbery.
But it's probably more because there's way less ancillary costs from admin, automatic accounting and taxes, and one less physical thing to bother with

You’re way more likely to be losing cash to light-fingered staff than an armed robbery, so this is also a consideration.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Torquemada posted:

You’re way more likely to be losing cash to light-fingered staff than an armed robbery, so this is also a consideration.

stealing from your employer is right and proper

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Toby Keith is not saying that he loved deeper and smoked sweet herb when he lived like he was dying

It is, in fact, Tim McGraw

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Carthag Tuek posted:

stealing from your employer is right and proper

It's just stealing your wages back and at that point is it even theft?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is like how I thought the nose on the Descendents logo was a mouth and the mouth was a neck.

holy poo poo

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I feel like a real dumb dumb today because I only just realized that the color in those bright pink pickled onions is literally just the color from red onion skins soaking into the slices, helped along by the acid in vinegar. They're so uniformly vibrant and unnaturally bright that it never even occurred to me that it wasn't dye added to white onions for some traditional reason lost to cooking history.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

FWIW I add a few beets when I make pickled onions (or eggs) so it could be a combination of the two in some cases.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Library cards expire. Well maybe only my local library card expires? I haven't been back to my local library since pre-COVID. Last night I got it into my head to see if they lend e-books (they do!), since I got an e-reader for Christmas. But evidently mine expired, cuz it's not showing up in the app! So guess I gotta make a trip down there. I want some free books!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Library cards expire. Well maybe only my local library card expires? I haven't been back to my local library since pre-COVID. Last night I got it into my head to see if they lend e-books (they do!), since I got an e-reader for Christmas. But evidently mine expired, cuz it's not showing up in the app! So guess I gotta make a trip down there. I want some free books!

you may be able to renew it on the website or with a phone call too.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

My library account been upgraded in place with every new system since the 1980s :smug:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Captain Monkey posted:

you may be able to renew it on the website or with a phone call too.

The website only seemed to have the option to get a new card and I hate making phone calls. I'll just pop down there. It's okay. Worth it for free books!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Pigeon holes are those tiny cubbies in old fashioned desks that you shove bills and letters and rolls of old papers in. To be "pigeonholed" is to be metaphorically stuck in some way in one of these holes. It's roughly like being a forgotten bill in a pile of papers in an inbox.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

Pigeon holes are those tiny cubbies in old fashioned desks that you shove bills and letters and rolls of old papers in. To be "pigeonholed" is to be metaphorically stuck in some way in one of these holes. It's roughly like being a forgotten bill in a pile of papers in an inbox.
It started out as cubbies like that for literal pigeons. To pigeonhole something also means to categorize it, often unfairly (also somewhat like sticking it in a hole and forgetting about it).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A friend of mine posted what sounds like some questionable etymology the other day and it reminded me of this thread

quote:

Aaaaahhh my brain just clicked a thing! That to wage war is literally just funding a war by providing wages to soldiers!
To wage war is just funding the soldiers!

I'm fairly certain he's wrong

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Len posted:

A friend of mine posted what sounds like some questionable etymology the other day and it reminded me of this thread

I'm fairly certain he's wrong

Etymonline says it comes from a related, slightly older sense of "wage" meaning a bit more generally "to pledge" or "to agree" (e.g. to pledge payment, or agree to a bet (i.e. "wager")). The specific sense of "a pledge of salary for a regular job" came a bit later.

So, to wage war originally meant simply to agree to go to war. Doesn't have anything to do with paying soldiers money.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
So, like, he was right, but in the wrong way

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

DontMockMySmock posted:

Etymonline says it comes from a related, slightly older sense of "wage" meaning a bit more generally "to pledge" or "to agree" (e.g. to pledge payment, or agree to a bet (i.e. "wager")). The specific sense of "a pledge of salary for a regular job" came a bit later.

So, to wage war originally meant simply to agree to go to war. Doesn't have anything to do with paying soldiers money.

seeing a correct etymology from a solid source on the forums makes me happy.

anyway, it's cognate with wed, which brings us to the Lockhorns comic

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Hirayuki posted:

It started out as cubbies like that for literal pigeons. To pigeonhole something also means to categorize it, often unfairly (also somewhat like sticking it in a hole and forgetting about it).

yes, one must imagine the pigeonholes in the desk being labeled with categories of different types of paperwork. once you put a piece of paperwork in a specific pigeonhole you're only going to see it again when you look through the contents of that specific location. if an author is pigeonholed as a horror writer, for instance, that person will only be looked for or considered when people want horror writings. an actor pigeonholed as playing dumb jocks will only be looked at or considered when people are looking for a dumb jock character. it's bad for people because they have other talents but those get ignored because nobody looks into the pigeonhole except to specifically seek the thing the pigeonhole is for

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Silver Falcon posted:

My wife uses the same library card she got when she was 7. Her name written on it in a big childish scrawl. The library's updated their system multiple times since the early 90s but barcodes never go out of fashion!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Creature posted:

My wife uses the same library card she got when she was 7. Her name written on it in a big childish scrawl. The library's updated their system multiple times since the early 90s but barcodes never go out of fashion!

Might be a difference in library systems, then, I dunno. :shrug: I don't live in the same city where I got my first library card. Hell I don't live in the same state. (I grew up in Phoenix but now I live in Connecticut.) But I do remember getting my first card! Got it as soon as I could write my own name, down at the city library. :3: I was so proud. I still have it somewhere...

Do kids even do that anymore? "You can write your own name now, good job! Time for your first library card!"

In any case, the local library was only too happy to renew my card. They gave me some brochures and stuff too. So I'm set. Free books for me!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

But I do remember getting my first card! Got it as soon as I could write my own name, down at the city library. :3: I was so proud. I still have it somewhere...
I have my first library card in one of those simple plastic frames on a shelf in my home library. The thin plastic is chipped and the signature field is faded, but you can still make out my name in good old D'Nealian :3: It would be, oh, 42 years old now? :corsair: I'm pretty sure I brought my now-teen son in for his card when he could handle his own name, too.

That library has long since closed, but my current library just sends an email every few years saying it's time to stop by to make sure my card is still valid ("no rush"). So not being able to renew it online is, apparently, a thing. They want to make sure you're still in their service area and all that good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

My maybe 15-year old, very much used and worn out library card pretty much just disintegrated when I was taking it out of my wallet one time. Normally you need to pay something like 8€ for a new library card in Helsinki but the librarian took one look at the remains of my card and went ”…yeah we really only give the first library card out for free but I think you don’t need to pay for this one”