Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Dango Bango posted:

Majority of the Jesus stories are him spending time with the people society cast out - beggars, lepers, etc.

To be fair, this is why Jesus would hang out with Republicans too.

Side note, congratulations shirts and skins! That’s awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Congratulations shirts and skins on being the best version of you! :kimchi: Please be patient with folks as sometimes the new software update has compatibility issues with those running an older OS. I still have to mentally take a moment to make sure I use the proper pronouns for those I've known for ages before their transition.

Speaking of software compatibility, I notices the Awful App is being weird where it shows bookmarked threads repeatedly on the screen, sometimes with different numbers to denote unread posts. I guess this is something to bring up in QCS? I don't venture far beyond my tried & true forums (something Jeffrey of YOSPOS mentioned in their State of the Forums post).

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Android Apocalypse posted:

I guess this is something to bring up in QCS?

lol, QCS is currently suspended because it was becoming Helldump. Things came to a head when Jeffrey had everyone who posted in a specific thread on Christmas given a 7 day probation. At least from what I can tell by going there once a week or so to see what's up.

Surely TFF's very own Athanatos can fill in the gaps if any of that is wrong or missing info.

e: oh and more importantly, agreed, congrats shirts and skins on taking new year new me to the next level

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Let them pay the child support via hard labor on Rura Penthe.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

the one who kills the other parent must adopt the child and raise it as their own.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Congratulations shirts and skins on being the best version of you! :kimchi: Please be patient with folks as sometimes the new software update has compatibility issues with those running an older OS. I still have to mentally take a moment to make sure I use the proper pronouns for those I've known for ages before their transition.

Speaking of software compatibility, I notices the Awful App is being weird where it shows bookmarked threads repeatedly on the screen, sometimes with different numbers to denote unread posts. I guess this is something to bring up in QCS? I don't venture far beyond my tried & true forums (something Jeffrey of YOSPOS mentioned in their State of the Forums post).

awful app isn't official, so astral doesn't support it: choose one of the links in this post to find the right support thread for your issue.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951473

QCS is closed right now, it's supposed to be temporary while the admins work on some way to make it less poo poo. However, the tech support forum is still open.

Jeffry gave a 7-day probe to everyone who posted in the terrible day-after-xmas QCS thread including a couple or three mods, but the probations were dialed back after a couple or three days. There's definitely no intention of getting rid of poster's ability to give feedback, ask questions, and challenge mod decisions, it's just plain from years of experience that QCS has become unmoddable and most users across the site avoid it, and that's no good for anyone.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 5, 2023

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Maybe it’s because there are actively antagonistic staff/admins and there aren’t clear standards for moderation in multiple forums so sometimes people take themselves way to seriously and other times we get the N****R thread

E: also the people who post in qcs on a normal basis are absolutely insane

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

What the gently caress sort of thread gets QCS shut down of all places!?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it wasn't really that thread, that was more of a final straw that broke the camel's back

that thread really sucked though

I assure you the reasons why QCS is bad have been discussed and dissected by users, mods, and admins alike for years, at extreme length, ad nauseum. I'm just thankful I don't have to deal with that. TG just doesn't generate the levels of animosity (or the crowds) to cause big QCS ruckuses.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
On the other hand 4th Ed DnD is the superior edition and Age of Sigmar sucks

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I do not remember the star star star hard R thread. Was that in TFF? If so - why?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I do not remember the star star star hard R thread. Was that in TFF? If so - why?

SAS. NASCAR was the 'joke.' Happened right after some ugly stuff in the sport.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I missed the whole QCS era. I find it hilarious that after Helldump got shut down, a "ask us about the forums!" forum opened and then became a synonym for toxic circlejerking

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
To everyone going dry for January, I'm there with you. I was sober for November, for most of December but got real bad the last two weeks, and I really felt it. I haven't had any since NYE and I'm staying that way for January and as far as I can take it from there. Reducing my drinking really helped me lose weight, both from the drop in calories and the increase in motivation. Or the lack of decrease in motivation, same thing.

And congrats to shirts and skins!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Internet friendship is weird. On one hand I'm really happy for you to be going through this big change that you want for your life. On the other hand I'm going to miss the form of the friend I've grown to know. I guess it's just part of life. Almost everyone gets a new Avi eventually.

At least we can share in the uncomplicated joy of your other life change. Really awesome news. Congrats!
I think this deserves a football meme

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I think it's time for me to switch to ibuprofen and mucinex since I've already taken dayquil today plus my antibiotics. My cata have taken to napping on me in the afternoon lately so that's an upside to working from home while sick this week.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Was the NASCAR thread after a noose was found in a drivers garage. Knee slapper

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I'm not gonna do a dry January. That's playoff season that's when my best drinking begins! :colbert:

Seriously though I've been drinking less the past couple of weeks because there's been more junk food around the house and I've been trying to cut calories. I normally scale it way back during Lent though. Not a Catholic but I was raised one and it was surprisingly easy to get back in the habit.

Did drink less in 2022 than in 2021 one though. I started marking it down on a calendar whenever I had a little something, more as a calorie counting measure than anything and it's made me more aware. Although I'd put the reduction down to being less stressed in general now that our daughter is on meds and getting therapy. :toot:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

BrownThunder posted:

IIRC, the title was changed a few months before that, when Kyle Larson dropped the n bomb live on TV during some video game race they were doing during the early COVID lockdowns in spring 2020. It was a dumb joke then and lasted too long, and the only got worse when the Bubba Wallace noose thing happened later that summer (Along with everything else in 2020).

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I was determined to get my first online Daily Race win this evening in GT7 because I’ve just been getting second place finishes over and over, but this dude that is way faster than me has been marathoning tonight and has been in every single session I joined so I gave up

Go do something else Clam_Hammer95 :argh:

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
I finally found a ps5 while at target for something else last night! It came with the new god of war. Have never played one is the games so I’m excited to check it out.

Didn’t realize there was a new Grand Turismo and I’ll have to pick that up sometime.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Wasn't the noose just some kinda ornamental handle for a garage door and had been there for like a decade or something?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

Is anyone here saying that? I mean why not just execute them and give all their belongings to the victims? Let’s just execute everyone who wrongs anyone else, for that matter.

Yes, they are. It was heavily inferred by their absolutely disgusting of the suggestion. I was asking what other suggestions might be. It’s ironic you take my statement and throw your own inference on there… then say this

quote:

why not just execute them and give all their belongings to the victims? Let’s just execute everyone who wrongs anyone else, for that matter.

Who said this? Someone on Twitter? Can’t tell what you’re replying to and can only assume this weird hyperbole is directed at some Twitter boogie man because it’s certainly nobody here.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 5, 2023

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

seiferguy posted:

The solution should be that the government can support a child who is now parentless instead of putting the burden upon someone who has no means to pay it.

I mean, yeah, absolutely. I agree with you in a perfect world that is the response. No question. In that world - You likely have less drunk drivers because we have actual mental health support and don’t live in a society that simply lives for angry punishment. But that’s not reality.

We can’t even discuss it in good faith without folks bending over backwards to make weird creepy hyperbole like the above. There’s a reason folks ignore genuine questions like mine (making the sentencing take into consideration the victim being a single parent / it being a modifier, etc) and simply scream “fix it!” And when you offer genuine attempts at a solution… it gets called racist and classist.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Is it unconscionably lazy to buy a gadget specifically to separate egg yolks

cause I'm thinking of it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

On the other hand 4th Ed DnD is the superior edition and Age of Sigmar sucks

:hai:

Amy Pole Her posted:

There’s a reason folks ignore genuine questions like mine (making the sentencing take into consideration the victim being a single parent / it being a modifier, etc) and simply scream “fix it!”

If you just want to go harder on drunk drivers, then increase the penalty for drunk driving across the board, and drunk driving where you kill someone across the board. Fines or annual payments to victims or whatever. That also won't actually deter drunk driving but at least it wouldn't be obviously picking out one particular tragic consequence to punish while ignoring countless others.

For that matter, why focus on drunk drivers? If you kill someone during the commission of any crime, should you get a harsher sentence or a decade or so of support payments if they leave behind a parentless child? What if you negligently kill someone who is the only caretaker of an elderly person, or a severely disabled person? Do people who were dependents of someone and find themselves without support not matter unless they're orphans?

I think one reason nobody is bothering engage seriously with you is because it's a farcical sentencing modification that is transparently pandering to people who will react with a gut feeling of righteousness about punishing criminals who cause a particularly gutwrenching form of tragedy while having no resemblance to the the kinds of sweeping criminal justice reform we'd actually like to see happen. And also won't likely result in much or any money going to orphaned kids.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Intruder posted:

cause I'm thinking of it

You have that gadget already, it’s called “your hands”

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Intruder posted:

cause I'm thinking of it

Use your fingers and be done with it imo.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

:hai:

If you just want to go harder on drunk drivers, then increase the penalty for drunk driving across the board, and drunk driving where you kill someone across the board. Fines or annual payments to victims or whatever. That also won't actually deter drunk driving but at least it wouldn't be obviously picking out one particular tragic consequence to punish while ignoring countless others.

For that matter, why focus on drunk drivers? If you kill someone during the commission of any crime, should you get a harsher sentence or a decade or so of support payments if they leave behind a parentless child? What if you negligently kill someone who is the only caretaker of an elderly person, or a severely disabled person? Do people who were dependents of someone and find themselves without support not matter unless they're orphans?

I think one reason nobody is bothering engage seriously with you is because it's a farcical sentencing modification that is transparently pandering to people who will react with a gut feeling of righteousness about punishing criminals who cause a particularly gutwrenching form of tragedy while having no resemblance to the the kinds of sweeping criminal justice reform we'd actually like to see happen. And also won't likely result in much or any money going to orphaned kids.

See, what’s funny is, it sure reads that you’re so eager to say the final paragraph you’re not actually realizing we’re asking the exact same questions for the exact same reasons. Not that you’re wrong to - it’s absolutely an understandable view to have. It feels impossible to get the system anywhere near something that resembles justice but I have to think we can get there.

One view seems to think it’s absolutely impossible to change - other being that maybe we can try to brainstorm change and assume it’s possible.

My question was a genuine one - do you add it as a modifier? I was leading up to the very point you just made with regards to it being elderly, etc. These are all valid questions, I just need to figure out what change makes sense. I thought the child support one did but the counters also made sense so I’m trying to determine… wtf can be done

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 5, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Intruder posted:

cause I'm thinking of it

I'm trying to figure out what device exists that makes this easier, it's not hard.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Intruder posted:

cause I'm thinking of it

Spend a dollar & hydrate yourself…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4E_9iAU3RI
…then you got yourself an egg separator.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Intruder posted:

cause I'm thinking of it
I use a small tupperware thing from the 70s or early 80s for the job because I'm bad at making the perfect crack to do the "shuffle from one side to the other" method. But I don't know if that counts as a gadget.

Here's a picture I found on eBay. I know I took a picture of my own but it must have been so long ago it was on my previous laptop.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

BrownThunder posted:

No. It was making fun of Kyle Larson, who literally n-bombed his way into a promotion. The noose came later.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yes, they are. It was heavily inferred by their absolutely disgusting of the suggestion. I was asking what other suggestions might be. It’s ironic you take my statement and throw your own inference on there… then say this

Who said this? Someone on Twitter? Can’t tell what you’re replying to and can only assume this weird hyperbole is directed at some Twitter boogie man because it’s certainly nobody here.

:thejoke: That was explicitly why I said that.

Because the attitude toward a thoughtful discussion over whether some manner of criminal justice even logical, effective or humane is always “yeah sure let’s punish them less. :jerkbag:

Which is silly because if you just keep taking that punitive ratchet to its logical conclusion, it’s just the acid vat for every transgression.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Day five of dry January

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

Day five of dry January

:hf:

The 24 packs of Topo Chico at Costco have scratched the evening drinking itch for me.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/choffercbus/status/1610670997132156929?s=46&t=bbBgvNfClkgQtGr7MLMZ9A

LeeMajors posted:

:hf:

The 24 packs of Topo Chico at Costco have scratched the evening drinking itch for me.

I’m going to SE asia for most of February so my plan is to just work myself to death for all of this month and then hopefully I’ll have enough energy to crawl onto a plane.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 5, 2023

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

:thejoke: That was explicitly why I said that.

Because the attitude toward a thoughtful discussion over whether some manner of criminal justice even logical, effective or humane is always “yeah sure let’s punish them less. :jerkbag:

Basically you inferred something that was absolutely not there because you took that one post as a singular statement and reduced it to some other intent/flippant comment that nobody was making.

Edit
Whoa Amazon laid of 17,000 people? When you remember that’s more folks than most Fortune 500 companies have… it really hammers it home how much trouble Amazon must be in.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 5, 2023

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Kid was up at 4 with a nightmare and she went back to sleep and I couldn't, so I watched a 90 minute documentary about the disney channel sound signature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_rjBWmc1iQ

Defunctlands are usually great but this one was especially fascinating.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Basically you inferred something that was absolutely not there because you took that one post as a singular statement and reduced it to some other intent/flippant comment that nobody was making.

Edit
Whoa Amazon laid of 17,000 people? When you remember that’s more folks than most Fortune 500 companies have… it really hammers it home how much trouble Amazon must be in.

I think we're seeing a correction after 2020 and 2021 caused a huge rush in stock purchases and hiring. The economy is in such a weird spot right now where there are still more jobs than people, but the big tech firms are doing massive layoffs. Seems like the economy is bad for only one sector right now. I couldn't find any info on what type of jobs these layoffs are affecting, or maybe it's just across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I know I should be asking this in SH/SC but I'm old & going to other subforums scares me, so Jeremy my issue:

Got a mid-2013 MacBook Air with 8gb RAM, (upgraded to a) 1TB SSD, running Big Sur (the furthest it can update due to age). I normally run Google Chrome but lately it keeps crashing.

Uh… :confused:
I don't have that much RAM so what is going on?

Running Activity Monitor & I get this:

I'll see if I can use my work iMac to see what Chrome extensions I can remove, but this is beyond my pay grade in terms of troubleshooting this. Apple/Mac needs, help?