Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Geek has been my primary for a while. I only pay for it and Slug and I can count on one hand the times one has had one the other hasn't. Sometimes I'll pick another indexer just so that something else displays on my usage graphs, but if someone just wanted to use Geek alone that would be fine for everything not silly rare/obscure. I think I'm still just paying year by year because a dollar a month is :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
FYI DrunkenSlug is still showing open registration if someone was looking for a good Geek alternative.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

I missed it and it looks like it closed off starting yesterday

Edit: A generous goon helped me out

Baba Oh Really fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 3, 2023

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Haven't touched usenet in a decade, hoping someone can answer a couple questions:

1. I don't remember anyone caring which indexers get used. Does it actually matter nowadays? I just signed up for nzbgeek, it sounds like that one is positively regarded here going by the last few posts?

2. Chrome Web Store says SABconnect++ was last updated September 2022, which sounds nice and recent. I can assume that's still recommended then?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

oliveoil posted:

Haven't touched usenet in a decade, hoping someone can answer a couple questions:

1. I don't remember anyone caring which indexers get used. Does it actually matter nowadays? I just signed up for nzbgeek, it sounds like that one is positively regarded here going by the last few posts?

2. Chrome Web Store says SABconnect++ was last updated September 2022, which sounds nice and recent. I can assume that's still recommended then?

1. A decade ago there were a couple free indexers that had everything, so it didn't matter as much. These days, the good ones are paid. NZBGeek has been great for me.

2. I assume it's fine, I haven't used it personally in a few years, but 99% of my stuff goes through Sonarr/Radarr/Lidarr/etc. When I do manually download an NZB I just add it to SABnzbd manually.

I definitely recommend checking out the *arrs if you haven't yet. Downloading stuff is great, but having it just show up automagically is better.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
That all makes sense, I'll check out the arrs too. Thank you!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

more falafel please posted:

1. A decade ago there were a couple free indexers that had everything, so it didn't matter as much. These days, the good ones are paid. NZBGeek has been great for me.

The reason for this is that the actual posts on Usenet are obfuscated and completely indescipherable without having the nzb or the obfuscation scheme. (Rather than the old system of knowing the groups and regexes to generate the nzbs)

This means that things last a lot longer but are generally only visible to certain indexers

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I definitely recommend checking out the *arrs if you haven't yet. Downloading stuff is great, but having it just show up automagically is better.

:yeah: I've only been truly impressed with technology a few times in my life, but getting everything set up and then just seeing stuff appear in your Plex library as it comes out without you even remembering it is :discourse:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I recently set up recyclarr to sync proper download settings from Trash guides and now I’ve automated my automation. It rules.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh huh, that’s interesting. I’m pretty sure I’ve got exerting set up but I may give that a try to make sure. It’ll be super useful when/if I need to set up a new Sonarr/Radarr stack in the future.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

2. I assume it's fine, I haven't used it personally in a few years, but 99% of my stuff goes through Sonarr/Radarr/Lidarr/etc. When I do manually download an NZB I just add it to SABnzbd manually.

Same, only I use prowlarr to search and push the button to send it to the nzb/bittorrent client depending on what it found first.

Takes No Damage posted:

:yeah: I've only been truly impressed with technology a few times in my life, but getting everything set up and then just seeing stuff appear in your Plex library as it comes out without you even remembering it is :discourse:

It's next level when you have a discord bot set up to a friends and family channel that they can add stuff to the queue as easily as:
!tv The Fall Guy 2023

And you start see things you didn't even know exist show up...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has anyone had an issue with Sonarr just randomly picking old seasons to set to monitored out of nowhere? Every day it’s doing a couple and I have no idea why. Luckily it’s just a case of me checking the Wanted pane and unflagging.

Also that trakt.tv outage the other week completely killed all my automated lists and I didn’t notice. Doh! A flood of bad tv and movies today after I fixed it at least ha.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Has anyone had an issue with Sonarr just randomly picking old seasons to set to monitored out of nowhere? Every day it’s doing a couple and I have no idea why. Luckily it’s just a case of me checking the Wanted pane and unflagging.

Also that trakt.tv outage the other week completely killed all my automated lists and I didn’t notice. Doh! A flood of bad tv and movies today after I fixed it at least ha.

Looks like it is a known issue. I have had it as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonarr/comments/zxjnsr/sonarr_showing_incomplete_seasons_or_episodes/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Good stuff, thanks. Glad it’s a ‘them not me’ issue because I can then wait for them to fix it, not me!

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yes my Sonarr has just started doing this over the last week or so. I thought it was something dumb i had done. Was surprised the other day when it said there was 150 items in the queue.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Is there a way to make nzbget unpack in batches rather than as soon as each download finishes?

I normally have a download speed of around 150mb but during unpacking it drops to about 70. It's not a problem most of the time but I've got quite a big queue of files around 1 gig each so there's almost always something unpacking. It would be nice to download say 100 files before unpacking.

edit: nevermind. Playing with my Download Queue settings seemed to speed things up.

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 31, 2023

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

What actually is the benefit of downloading faster if you are already downloading faster than you can unpack?

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Sub Rosa posted:

What actually is the benefit of downloading faster if you are already downloading faster than you can unpack?

Philosophy for the 21st century. But it's a fair question, I've not actually timed it but it at least feels like download then unpack runs in less total time than download and unpack. Aside from that, I guess I would rather let the downloads tear through everything while I'm out/not streaming anything else then let it unpack in it's own time.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Would just prioritized downloads fix your problem? What you actually want to do is watch ___ now and not wait on the queue?
I do t think there is much time involved with swapping tasks.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
NZBGet has options to pause the download side of the queue while unpacking, parchecking, and/or running scripts but doesn't seem to let you do the other way around. If you think you're overwhelming your system doing both at the same time those options should get you the same end result, but in a different way.

If I had to guess why they don't do it the other way around, it's probably to minimize the possibility of a download reaching 100%, then many hours later after the download queue completes it finally gets parchecked and turns out it needs a few repair chunks, but the post got blown up between those times so that content is no longer available.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

deong posted:

Would just prioritized downloads fix your problem? What you actually want to do is watch ___ now and not wait on the queue?
I do t think there is much time involved with swapping tasks.

Prioritising downloads would probably do the job but I don't think nzbget has that as an option?

wolrah posted:

NZBGet has options to pause the download side of the queue while unpacking, parchecking, and/or running scripts but doesn't seem to let you do the other way around. If you think you're overwhelming your system doing both at the same time those options should get you the same end result, but in a different way.

If I had to guess why they don't do it the other way around, it's probably to minimize the possibility of a download reaching 100%, then many hours later after the download queue completes it finally gets parchecked and turns out it needs a few repair chunks, but the post got blown up between those times so that content is no longer available.

Yeah I found this option and came to the same conclusion. I guess also if you download to a small OS drive then move the files afterwards it stops you clogging up your first drive with temp files.

Either way, it seems to be downloading at full speed now. The unpacking does seem to be slow but I don't usually pay close attention so it might have always just been slower to unpack than download since moving to fibre.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Tea Bone posted:

Prioritising downloads would probably do the job but I don't think nzbget has that as an option?

Yeah I found this option and came to the same conclusion. I guess also if you download to a small OS drive then move the files afterwards it stops you clogging up your first drive with temp files.

You can shift things around manually. I think you can set priority based on category as well for more automated way to do it. But if you're already watching it to see if its done, just slide the one you want to the top of the list.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
You can get sonarr/radarrr to send download requests in order, but it's been a long time since I set it up and I don't remember the details. I've got it set up this way since my NAS has an old CPU and unpacking is the bottleneck. I've also set nzbget to pause all downloads while unpacking so it just does each episode in order and a series is watchable pretty much right away.

hot date tonight! fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 1, 2023

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
The way I handle nzbget paths is to have the `intermediate files.` on a scratch ssd, along with temp files, this way I can keep the IO bound platter drives in my server segregated from the IO the downloads use. I also sort downloads and a few other options that the thread has already discussed

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Could someone help me understand the compression that is used these days?

I'm used to 40-100gb remux, but I see that these files are often pared down now to x265 and they're about a quarter of the size. They also seemingly retain TrueHD.

So like, are remuxes still the way forward or is there no effective difference now that better compression exists? I am starting to feel like an old person preferring remux when the market is clearly moving towards these more efficient solutions.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just grab a few and see what works best for you. I like to watch the best quality there is on a first time around, but I can't archive like that without having stupid amounts of drives so x265 files at a couple of gig are perfect for that quality/size tradeoff.

Also people will use x265 to cover a variety of quality thresholds, so you can find some groups that you like the look of then stick with those. Some are trying to maintain as much quality as possible from source, some are going for the best filesize saving.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Taima posted:

Could someone help me understand the compression that is used these days?

I'm used to 40-100gb remux, but I see that these files are often pared down now to x265 and they're about a quarter of the size. They also seemingly retain TrueHD.

So like, are remuxes still the way forward or is there no effective difference now that better compression exists? I am starting to feel like an old person preferring remux when the market is clearly moving towards these more efficient solutions.

So x265 and AV1 are substantially better compression algorithms. Basically all 4K+ content is compressed in x265 off streaming sources. I can’t speak to why remuxes might prefer it to the older uncompressed format. There’s probably detectable artifacts if you did digital forensics but not much to naked eye.

As to TrueHD, it is common these days to leave the audio channel unaltered from the original source. For example, retaining TrueHD or Atmos but then compressing the video stream and encoding with x265.

The biggest drawback for x265 and even more so AV1 is having hardware that can decode it.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Is Blocknews still the suggested provider for block plans?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

c355n4 posted:

Is Blocknews still the suggested provider for block plans?

Blocknews works great for me. I bought 200 gigs in 2017, and still have 142 gigs left. Astraweb is my main. I typically download 1.5TB/mo.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Thanks for the detailed answers Bromance and Ruf. Honesly if the answer isn't "it's imperceptible" I think my usenet ADD will force me to continue doing remux, especially because I "optimize" our tvs in the sense that we are usually sitting only about 6-8 feet from a 4K set depending on if it's 65 or 75 inches. So if there were artifacts of any kind, I would notice, I think. But I'll test it out a little to be sure!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
FWIW I have been legit shocked a few times recently to find that a movie I watched had been downloaded as a webrip rather than a remux and somehow two hours of 4K HDR content was in a file small enough to burn to DVD. I'm sure if I went back looking for artifacts I'd see them all over, but streaming providers have really optimized their encoding so even sitting 8 feet from a 65" OLED it doesn't stand out.

That said, given the choice I still reflexively download the 80GB remux for the same reason I choose FLAC over any reasonable variety of MP3. Disk space is cheap and my internet access is unmetered.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Taima posted:

So if there were artifacts of any kind, I would notice, I think. But I'll test it out a little to be sure!

To me the biggest difference isn’t artifacting per se, but a reduction in fine grain detail. If you A/B a grainy Blu-ray next to an encode that’s maybe around 3gb or so in size I can definitely see the difference. If I’m watching it just regularly? Definitely less noticeable. Ive had encodes I can’t believe are as small as they are because I was convinced I had a high bitrate foot playing. Sometimes I’ve stopped something half way through because I assume the small encode must be why the picture looks like rear end to find nope, the real Blu-ray looks just as bad.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

So in this modern day and age, does usenet offer any advantages over torrenting?

I'm interested in trying it for curiosity and tech education's sake anyways at some point, but I'm curious what the reasons for paying for usenet would be over, say, a NordVPN subscription and free torrenting software + sites.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I find downloading Linux isos is consistently faster using Usenet that it is using torrents.

YMMV.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Finding old / obscure isos seems to work better on Usenet and if I ever hosed up with VPN settings or anything I am less concerned that my ISP might wonder what the traffic is about.

I use probably 90-95% Usenet and 5-10% torrenting with all the *arrs in docker containers on an Unraid server / NAS and a separate low power PC with a newer Intel CPU as a Plex transcoder. All seems to work pretty well and I am not a very savvy computer toucher by any means.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Snuff Melange posted:

So in this modern day and age, does usenet offer any advantages over torrenting?

I'm interested in trying it for curiosity and tech education's sake anyways at some point, but I'm curious what the reasons for paying for usenet would be over, say, a NordVPN subscription and free torrenting software + sites.

not dealing with maintaining ratios/uptime and private trackers that have more rules than a government agency

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

probably also depends on your internet speed; with gigabit fiber it's no contest

if you're trying to stay 100% free then yeah, torrents are going to be superior. once you get to the point where you're thinking about spending money and dealing with the hassle of VPNs, a few extra bucks a month on a decent usenet provider and a little bit on 2-3 indexers is a vastly better experience imo

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

All of the above but also consistency in time. If the ISO came out at 5:30p and you want to run it at 6:00p I know that I'll be getting 75mpbs from usenet, I have no idea what transfer I'll be getting from BT, or when it'll be done. Like above I think I give usenet +500 pts for the *arrs.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Hughlander posted:

All of the above but also consistency in time. If the ISO came out at 5:30p and you want to run it at 6:00p I know that I'll be getting 75mpbs from usenet, I have no idea what transfer I'll be getting from BT, or when it'll be done. Like above I think I give usenet +500 pts for the *arrs.

You can set a delay under the profiles. "Prefer Usenet" with a 120 minute delay to BT is what I use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

You can set a delay under the profiles. "Prefer Usenet" with a 120 minute delay to BT is what I use.

Interesting, I'll do that but in addition to the point system, since If there's an 8 year old ISO 100% of the blocks are going to be on Usenet while even with '5 seeders' or whatever, chances are it's never coming down from BT. This is also probably going to be what gets me to switch over to that other thing that autowrites quality rules for the *arrs so you can make a change in one place and push it out.