Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Internet Savant posted:

From listening to the radio and hearing it on TV, Sports metaphors in general (not just football) have moved away from humanizing terms like "player" to de-humanizing terms like assets, pieces, weapons, battles. Ryan Clark's discussion from Monday night only put those terms in more of a stark contrast. The players are being presented more things to be used and discarded.

However, discussions around superstars are things like "quarterback name" needs more weapons around him so he can go out there and win the super bowl.

It's weird and disconcerting. The discussion in media seems to really deemphasize the team aspect of these sports. Maybe I'm just listening to the wrong media, but that's what I hear.

Fantasy sports doesn’t help things in this regard. Go look at the comments* on a player profile in the Yahoo app when they aren’t performing well and you’ll see thousands of people spewing the worst sort of vitriol at someone because they have 20 bucks on the line.

*I cannot recommend actually doing this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pron on VHS posted:

Chiefs signed Andy Reid as coach ten years ago today.

Gonna eat some ribs to celebrate this holy day

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i hope th e bengals play again soon. i don't know if they can beat cheating fully rested lamar. that's a fast guy who can run for 250 yards on anyone who has been playing. right now

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

habemus quarterback

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1610661346160279552

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

pinkie schefter

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I really need to catch a Houston game.

I’ve seen games of the Rams, Cardinals, Broncos, and Bears. These teams have been incredible train wrecks, often with plentiful injuries.

The idea that Houston is somehow clearly worse while much healthier is wild. Almost unbelievable.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Cavauro posted:

i hope th e bengals play again soon. i don't know if they can beat cheating fully rested lamar. that's a fast guy who can run for 250 yards on anyone who has been playing. right now

Is google lying to me or is that game really scheduled (ignoring the really, really scheduled elephant) for 1am eastern Saturday night?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’ve seen games of the Rams, Cardinals, Broncos, and Bears. These teams have been incredible train wrecks, often with plentiful injuries.

The idea that Houston is somehow clearly worse while much healthier is wild. Almost unbelievable.

I remain somewhat unconvinced that Lovie Smith understands what a football is. Like, conceptually. Davis Mills at least knows it's something you throw, just not that you need to throw it to specific guys and not to other dudes who can potentially catch it.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 4, 2023

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Look at Houston’s roster. What could you possibly expect from that group of players with a 10 years past his prime Lovie Smith in charge?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

latinotwink1997 posted:

I imagine a lot of players are learning what commotio cordis is for the first time and maybe wondering if football is still worth it. At the very least, I could see more guys shying away from direct hits because they don’t want to be the next Hamlin.

I seriously doubt it's changing the calculus for any significant number of players at all. They're all already aware that it's a bloodsport, a freak occurrence isn't likely to be some wakeup call.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Pontius Pilate posted:

Is google lying to me or is that game really scheduled (ignoring the really, really scheduled elephant) for 1am eastern Saturday night?

That's correct

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Lovie had his 2-12 team playing their asses off against KC I don't think he is doing a bad job with what he has.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean then they got run out of the building versus the jags so I think that says more about the chiefs than anything

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Ravens/status/1610729394087002133

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean then they got run out of the building versus the jags so I think that says more about the chiefs than anything

The Jags are really good

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Look at Houston’s roster. What could you possibly expect from that group of players with a 10 years past his prime Lovie Smith in charge?

What’s funny is that this Houston team has taken it to some of the better squads in the league. They then lose that lead at the last moment in hilarious fashion.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean my point wasn’t that the jags are bad, just they did do what the chiefs couldn’t

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The Jags are really good
The same Jags squad that gave Houston one of their two wins.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The same Jags squad that gave Houston one of their two wins.

October doesnt matter its just warmup for now.

Anyways this makes sense to me:
https://twitter.com/JayMorrisonATH/status/1610730754807300097

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

October doesnt matter its just warmup for now.

Anyways this makes sense to me:
https://twitter.com/JayMorrisonATH/status/1610730754807300097

Good.

Chargers will know by kickoff whether the game vs Denver means anything. Excellent.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Chiefs also let Denver play two of their only competitive games this season and lost to the Colts. They seem to have some major brain fart capacity this year.

Meanwhile the Texans got owned by the Dolphins so hard they sat starters in the middle of the third quarter.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Forrest on Fire posted:

Backup QB isn't a measure of skill. It's a measure of good vibes. Carson Wentz has nauseatingly bad vibes. The ideal backup is like Drew Stanton: the offense can move the ball, and the starter's job isn't a looming decision over the locker room

This is accurate, Steelers had S tier backups for like a decade with Charlie Batch, Byron Leftwich, and Mike Vick. Also Bruce Gradkowski.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Happy birthday to Ravens legend Eric Weddle

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
https://twitter.com/PLeonardNYDN/status/1610721590664376320?s=20&t=JAgcR5cWXauUHVV3lAmEdw

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Not that trading Adams was at all feasible.

https://twitter.com/VicTafur/status/1610775703313870848

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
the giaants suck rear end IMO

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

kayvon didn't even look over there at nick foles at all. his celebration was going to be what it was no matter what. he went into it right away and just saw himself and god, who are twin brothers

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Strong Mariah Carey energy from Kayvon.

This whole thing sucks. Just play good football, no need to do a WWE heel turn.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

It’s not a heel turn if you’re already a heel :thunk:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

HoF Finalists Announced:

Getting in:
Darrelle Revis 4x all pro, all-2010's team, SB champ
Joe Thomas 6x all pro, all-2010's team

Wide Receiver bottleneck junction:
Torry Holt 1x all pro, all-2000's team, SB champ 13k yards / 74 TD's
Reggie Wayne 1x all pro, SB champ, 14k yards / 82 TD's
Andre Johnson 2x all pro, 14k yards / 70 TD's

Terrell Davis honorary dude who ruled and retired too early:
Patrick Willis 5x all pro, all-2010's team, Defensive ROTY

Sacks are awesome:
Jared Allen 4x all pro, 136 sacks
DeMarcus Ware 4x all pro, all-2000's team, SB champ, 138.5 sacks
Dwight Freeney 3x all pro, all-2000's team, SB champ, 125.5 sacks

Haha, that Special Teamer thinks he's people:
Devin Hester 3x all pro, all-2000's team, all-2010's team. 17 return td's

Obligatory LB with a billion tackles:
Zach Thomas 5x all pro, all-2000's team

The deserving DBs:
Darren Woodson 3x all pro, 3x SB champ
Ronde Barber 3x all pro, all-2000's team, SB champ

Hey, it's a lineman who checks all the boxes
Willie Anderson 3x all pro

The dude you've never heard of:
Albert Lewis (DB chiefs & raiders 83-98) 2x all pro

And the 10 guys who didn't make the cut:

Vince Wilfork
Steve Smith
Fred Taylor
Anquan Boldin
Rodney Harrison
James Harrison
Robert Mathis
Hines Ward
London Fletcher
Henry Ellard

Kalli fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 5, 2023

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Steve Smith was better than those 3 WRs.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

put in ronde god drat it

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

kidcoelacanth posted:

put in ronde god drat it

YES!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kidcoelacanth posted:

put in Steve Smith god drat it

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry/status/1565173749321711619

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

BlindSite posted:

Steve Smith was better than those 3 WRs.

Steve Smith would have a zillion TDs if he had Peyton loving Manning throwing to him his entire career.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Added some top of the byline accomplishments for the main 15. Still don't get why Albert Lewis is there over Wilfork, Smith or either Harrison

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Added some top of the byline accomplishments for the main 15. Still don't get why Albert Lewis is there over Wilfork, Smith or either Harrison

I just assumed he was the old guy candidate, whatever you call that thing that they do every year.

For what it's worth he was a good player, and the Chiefs secondary was about the only good part of the team when he played.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i mean, smith was as talented as those guys, sure. but his entire demeanor and presence and ability to dismantle you with words is on another level. he was basically the rock of the nfl. and still no one comes close.

dude ruled hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

I just assumed he was the old guy candidate, whatever you call that thing that they do every year.

For what it's worth he was a good player, and the Chiefs secondary was about the only good part of the team when he played.

Yeah, I mean he's a good player and all, but he's not from the veteran's committee, they're debating between Chuck Howley, Joe Klecko and Ken Riley. This is the first time Albert Lewis has made the finalists list and he retired in '98. Just seems a weird selection