Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

HopperUK posted:

Any last minute buys that people grabbed this sale and found were unexpectedly great?

I picked up Fabled Lands on a whim and it's been delightful https://store.steampowered.com/app/1299620/Fabled_Lands/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Nancy posted:

I picked up Fabled Lands on a whim and it's been delightful https://store.steampowered.com/app/1299620/Fabled_Lands/

Oh the art style is really nice on this!

I'm looking at Reassembly, the spaceship builder thing, and the Zachtronics Solitaire collection. Symphony of War (thanks Sloppy) is on my radar but I never played any of the games it's paying homage to and I'm genuinely not sure if I'd get into it. Might be worth a shot though! Maybe next sale in March.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Ooh, Reassembly looks wild, going to pick that up. Looks like Escape Velocity crossed with Warning Forever.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I want to say it was a recommendation that came from the 'hidden gems' thread which has been really fantastic so far, if quite expensive.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Oops, thought I had one more day to put off checking what’s on sale

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

HopperUK posted:

Any last minute buys that people grabbed this sale and found were unexpectedly great?

I got Homeworld: Remastered collection for three bucks which wasnt bad

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

In this sale, all I bought was The Void Rains Upon Her Heart and Against the Storm

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Long title

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I bought an airplane for DCS and Triangle Strategy, which I think is going to be up next after Pentiment

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i didn't know steam sold airplanes or that there was a game called DCS that only works on them. neat that it runs triangle strategy though.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
In Doom Eternal how much time do you spend wandering around after everything is dead trying to find where the one open door is, or where the blue key was 8 screens ago? Is it less than in Doom 2016?

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Lakitu7 posted:

In Doom Eternal how much time do you spend wandering around after everything is dead trying to find where the one open door is, or where the blue key was 8 screens ago? Is it less than in Doom 2016?

I feel like it's less. Eternal is pretty fast, including in this way.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

how high were you when you were playing doom 2016

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I feel like it's less. Eternal is pretty fast, including in this way.
Thanks. It sounds like I've got a Humble Bundle to buy, then.

Cowcaster posted:

how high were you when you were playing doom 2016
Not.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Long title

A shoot-em-up and city builder hybrid game... I'd give it a go

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lakitu7 posted:

Might be less but there’s still a fair bit of exploration down time in Eternal.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

explosivo posted:

You are right it just feels sometimes like two missions on the same rating will be wildly different in terms of difficulty but I really think it's just the one mission type that I have the most trouble with. Either way, I took this to look into some mods and picked up the AI Mod to make my mechs behave less stupid and that has really helped a lot. I also grabbed the coyote mission types mod which adds a bunch of new missions. I think it also remixes standard missions to make them harder lol so I guess we'll see how it goes.

Coyotes missions can definitely do that on vanilla missions due to random events like a VTOL swarm or House assassins or pirate mechs (those will at least hopefully shoot at everyone). Some of the events are helpful at least, like a friendly VTOL swarm. I think it at least in part depends on your standing with the House which controls the space you’re in.

Any mission with artillery is a difficulty multiplier though, especially since to kill it you’ll probably have to stomp through a bunch of other poo poo. There’s a few story chain missions with some really hard to deal with artillery.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Cowcaster posted:

i didn't know steam sold airplanes or that there was a game called DCS that only works on them. neat that it runs triangle strategy though.

you haven't lived until you've played triangle strategy on the navigation computer at 37,000 feet flying mach 1.2

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Exquisite tea, on off the chance that you see this before the sale ends, did you end up playing all the Titan Quest expansions? Which would you recommend?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I bought citizen sleeper and was gifted astra Libra, against the storm, and midnight suns

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Guess I should finally buy Streets of Rogue to get my chaos fix since the sequel is coming out this year. I imagine it’s perfect on the Deck with the bite sized missions?

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
I ended up with a few co-op games, some roguelites and mouse only stuff, a puzzler that I've had sitting on my list forever, and a couple sub $1.

Hero's Hour
The Dungeon Beneath
Luck be a Landlord
Mage and Monsters
The Room 4: Old Sins
Huntdown
A Way Out
Mainframe Defenders
Guns of Icarus Alliance

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah Streets of Rogue is great on the Deck.

Luck be a Landlord is an awesome little game! A slot-machine deckbuilder sort of thing. You get to add symbols to the machine and they have all kinds of interactions and effects, and every few spins you must pay your rent.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

HopperUK posted:

Luck be a Landlord is an awesome little game! A slot-machine deckbuilder sort of thing. You get to add symbols to the machine and they have all kinds of interactions and effects, and every few spins you must pay your rent.

It's insanely addictive.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Huh, that looks fun. Is it by the same developer as 1,000,000? Looks like the same art style and design language.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

Huh, that looks fun. Is it by the same developer as 1,000,000? Looks like the same art style and design language.

Different developer listed, but a quick google couldn't tell me if any staff are shared. It's a great little thing and you can get through a run pretty quickly.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
This is from like 5 pages back, and kicked off a whole thing that I'm not trying to restart, but to the poster who was annoyed with Sekiro, partially because Dragonrot feels too punishing (I'm ignoring the rest of what they said and what happened afterwards in the name of peace):

Dragonrot really isn't a big deal. It seems like it at first, but it's not. It basically won't matter at all once you get further along in the game, because the item to cure it becomes cheap and plentiful (though not unlimited), and one dose cures every single afflicted person in the entire world at the same time. It also doesn't actually make you weaker or punish you in any way, it just pauses side quests involving an NPC while that NPC has it. The game does a great job of making it feel like you're a terrible world-ruiner for dying a few times, but it's all smoke and mirrors (or more likely, the remains of a more punishing system that actually would have had an impact).

If you've already given up on the game, that's fine, too. Not every game is for every person.

Personally, it took a while for Sekiro to click for me, and it wasn't until the Lady Butterfly fight that I got it. It was like a "seeing the matrix code" moment, and I was suddenly able to parry and counterattack much more effectively. I can't say "perfectly" because it still took me a few more tries to actually beat her, but that was where the game turned around for me. Plus, Lady Butterfly has the best music.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

beats for junkies posted:

(though not unlimited)
Wrong. You can actually just keep going back to the same merchant and it'll restock after buying their full supply and a warp or restart. Infinite resource.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

The Joe Man posted:

Wrong. You can actually just keep going back to the same merchant and it'll restock after buying their full supply and a warp or restart. Infinite resource.

Oh, I genuinely did not know that. It's even less of a problem then! I bought all the stock from a couple of merchants and then stopped paying attention to the cure item because by that point, I had figured out that Dragonrot wasn't an issue in any meaningful way at all.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've decided I'm going to take Blattdorf's advice and at least buy something on my wishlist that's cheap and that's been there for a long time. It has to be under 5$ and on sale or I won't bite today, so my candidates are...

Added in 2017:
Highlands, Deep Waters, interactive fiction
25th Ward: Silver Case, sequel to Silver Case. I enjoyed Silver Case but I waffle on this one.
Scavenger SV4 - roguelike simulator sci-fi thing

Added in 2018:
Bullet Witch - XBOX 360 third person shooter weirdness
OVERWHELM - sidescrolling shooter where the enemies get powerups and you don't
Hive Jump - roguelike sidescrolling shooter
CyberRebeat The Fifth Domain of Warfare - cyberpunk hacking visual novel

Added in 2019:
Swat 2 - XCOM precursor, real time
(removed a lot of pinball tables from this era as I'm not pinballing currently)

Added in 2020:
Wasteland Remastered - old weird rpg
Tinytopia - tiny city builder
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction - title says it all really
Plebby Quest: The Crusades - what if Crusader Kings, but simplified so you can understand it
LEGO Lord of the Rings
Legacy Realm of Terror - horror adventure game?
Microsoft Flight Simulator X Steam Edition - flying jets... that don't have missiles mounted :O

Stopping there - there's a lot more but also man... I should pick one and just own it already.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've decided I'm going to take Blattdorf's advice and at least buy something on my wishlist that's cheap and that's been there for a long time. It has to be under 5$ and on sale or I won't bite today, so my candidates are...
Hive Jump - roguelike sidescrolling shooter

I bought this along with a friend cus it had coop and looked cool but the netcode was insanely broken and it would irrecoverably desync all the time. So uh... don't buy it if you care about the multiplayer

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

at this point the oldest thing on my wishlist is The Amber Throne, which I put in my wishlist all the way back in 2016.

other oldest-wishlisted games: Blackwood Crossing, Keen: One Girl Army, A Tale of Two Kingdoms, The Inner World 2, Maggie's Apartment, the two Star Trek point & click adventures, Prominence, She Save, Omensight, World of Final Fantasy, Steven Universe: Save the Light, Hidden Paws Mystery, Return., Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, Illusion: A Tale of the Mind, Devolver Bootleg, Yuppie Psycho, Interrogation, Hardland, Skybolt Zack, Heart of the Woods

everything after was wishlisted in 2020 or later so they don't feel that old to necessarily need to prune them out. and honestly i don't have an intense need to prune at the moment anyway. it's not like the list is a bunch of stinkers, I think Hardland is the only one in that list above that has mixed reviews, and I didn't have a bad time of it from the demo, so, IDK.

the scary thing for my wishlist is that there's another Steam Next Fest in a month.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I didn't get much this year. I bought Midnight Suns which people in the thread said I probably wouldn't like and.. I don't really like it so far, doh. I also got Final Fantasy 5 and I'm enjoying the gently caress out of it more than any jrpg I've played in a decade or more. The pixel remaster work is amazing.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Bought all of these for under 20 bucks on gamebillet. I somehow haven't ever played any of them.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Wiltsghost posted:

Bought all of these for under 20 bucks on gamebillet. I somehow haven't ever played any of them.

The base NWN campaign is pretty rough and I don’t think I would recommend it.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Right on. I mainly just bought them for the Baldur's Gate games since the new one is coming out sometime soon. Figured I'd buy all of them since they were so cheap.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Are the megaman legacy Collection games worth picking up ?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It is painfully, PAINFULLY slow. I can't recommend it either.

I did have a fantastic custom module scene, no idea how much of that remains two decades later, though

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

fit em all up in there posted:

Are the megaman legacy Collection games worth picking up ?

Legacy Collection 1 and X Collection 1 are absolutely top-tier stuff, no notes. The remaining games are very much "how much do you want more after what came before, knowing these are the 'weaker' entries?"

Some people will say Zero/ZX is a solid one but I'm firmly in the camp of "doing nothing about the already too-tight field of view on the Zero games is a mistake".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Spoke Lee posted:

I ended up with a few co-op games, some roguelites and mouse only stuff, a puzzler that I've had sitting on my list forever, and a couple sub $1.

Hero's Hour

been playing this, definitely a pro buy on sale