Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

It seems to me it follows that, if you have a drone with a max takeoff weight of 27kg, but load it up with payload to weighing only 24.99kg, you shouldn't need an SFOC, right?

Not if the MTOW is defined as 27kg in the manufacturers manual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

Also, is anyone else excited about low-risk BVLOS coming for advanced pilots? (According to Don Joyce https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKjoSDs8Ttc The thing that was promised for 2022 might actually be coming in 2023. It's almost enough to make me get off my rear end and do a flight review.

I haven't been following the FAAs rulemaking for BVLOS, but am a little concerned that it will be arranged in such a way that the hobbyist probably won't want to go through the hassle. I am a little excited for unrestricted shielded flight, if there is a manned aircraft flying below tree top level, they're at fault.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

nomad2020 posted:

I am a little excited for unrestricted shielded flight, if there is a manned aircraft flying below tree top level, they're at fault.

Say what?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

nomad2020 posted:

[...]if there is a manned aircraft flying below tree top level, they're at fault.

Oh my god I hope this comes to Canada. Last Summer I was flying below treetop height inspecting wind storm damage and some jackass in a two seater almost hit me. 19m up. I was 19 meters up and had to duck to avoid an aircraft. I could have hit him with a rock if I had the presence of mind to throw one. Yet with him doing the aerial equivalent of driving on the sidewalk, I would be the one at fault in the event of a collision.

nomad2020 posted:

[I]t will be arranged in such a way that the hobbyist probably won't want to go through the hassle.[...]

I hope not but I can see exactly where you're coming from. Right now it feels like the sky is the exclusive domain of bourgie rich folk playing with their bourgie toys, trying their best to gatekeep us poors out of their playground. At least that's the impression I get from listening to Don Joyce videos

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Not if the MTOW is defined as 27kg in the manufacturers manual

Is there a country where the magic cutoff MTOW without needing special permission is 27kg instead of 25kg? With the popularity of sub250g drones, I would have thought they'd want to build to just under the 25kg magic limit to get into an easier regulatory environment. I mean, DJI does it with the Agras T10. It's rated for exactly 24.8kg of take off weight (https://vantageuav.com/en-us/drones/dji-agras-t10/). It seems like a no-brainer. I mean, gently caress.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I've only heard rumor about it so far, but the idea is you should be able to fly your drone in areas shielded by other features. For example, if you are flying around a house there isn't any reason for a manned aircraft to be there for you to interfere with.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

DreadLlama posted:

Oh my god I hope this comes to Canada. Last Summer I was flying below treetop height inspecting wind storm damage and some jackass in a two seater almost hit me. 19m up. I was 19 meters up and had to duck to avoid an aircraft. I could have hit him with a rock if I had the presence of mind to throw one. Yet with him doing the aerial equivalent of driving on the sidewalk, I would be the one at fault in the event of a collision.

I don't blame them, flying below treetop level is a thrill. Probably because of all the danger, but the most fun and most reckless thing I've ever done is following a river between a corridor of trees for a few miles. That was before sUAS, but not before other jackasses who might be coming the other direction!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

We fly below treetop level regularly for our surveys. (Helicopter).

I also have the BVLOS proposals for Transport Canada and the regulations are extensive. They will not be for the casual hobbyist.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DreadLlama posted:

Right now it feels like the sky is the exclusive domain of bourgie rich folk playing with their bourgie toys, trying their best to gatekeep us poors out of their playground.

:ssh: it’s not just a feeling

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

We fly below treetop level regularly for our surveys. (Helicopter).

Have you considered a $5-$20k drone instead?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sure, it only needs to be able to reliably fly a 40 mile section of pipeline, in temperatures from -30 to 50C, winds up to 50knots.

We are actually looking at a RPAS system for that (and other projects), but that's a $1 million dollar system. If you know of something that can do that for $20k, by all means, tell me?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not sure about how reliable the cold weather ops are, but some of these things have crazy range and utilize cell network for continuous coverage, although flying a pre-planned route and coming back would probably be the norm for something like you? I suspect you wouldn't even have cell coverage along a lot of pipeline right of ways.

https://www.yangdaonline.com/yangda-sky-whale-heavy-lift-long-endurance-electric-vtol-drone/
https://www.yangdaonline.com/yangda-sky-whale-max-hybrid-heavy-lift-long-endurance-vtol-drone/

I'm sure this chinese company I've never heard of would be happy to take your tens of thousands of $$ lol

So honest question about drones coming from someone that's just getting a little back into it from the Phantom 2 era and super small indoor toy drones.

With the <250g drones getting so drat good (mini 2/3, Autel Nano, etc) with 4k/60, or higher - OTHER than video pros doing really high end production type stuff, why would an "average" hobbiest want anything but a <250g nowdays?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 5, 2023

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Sure, it only needs to be able to reliably fly a 40 mile section of pipeline, in temperatures from -30 to 50C, winds up to 50knots.

We are actually looking at a RPAS system for that (and other projects), but that's a $1 million dollar system. If you know of something that can do that for $20k, by all means, tell me?

I was just talking poo poo, but appreciate the actual reasons.

slidebite posted:

With the <250g drones getting so drat good (mini 2/3, Autel Nano, etc) with 4k/60, or higher - OTHER than video pros doing really high end production type stuff, why would an "average" hobbiest want anything but a <250g nowdays?

I don’t see a whole lot of advantage to the sub 250g drones. It’s nice to have something small enough to throw in a pocket, but regulation wise you’re not really gaining much ground. Saves you $5, since you don’t need to register. When Remote ID comes into play, you won’t need to comply I guess.

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 5, 2023

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Spraying pesticide or spreading seeds are two immediate examples that come to mind. Also you might want thermal cameras, multispectral cameras, and/or RTK.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Regulators here said they didn't imagine sub-200g would be possible, and have lowered it to sub-100g. Due to database errors I had difficulty registering my super dangerous 160g aerocommander. Ultimately I didn't pay.

The nearest designated RC field is about a 90 minutes drive and they say they are not taking new members.

I'm not sure about continuing this hobby.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I really wanted a <250g drone until I looked through the EU rules carefully and most of the requirement exceptions don't apply if the drone also has a camera :negative:

Still kind of want to get the Mini 3 for easier travel and longer flight times than the Mk1 Air though.

Haven't flown a plane in at least a year, it's too much of a pain in the rear end :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DreadLlama posted:

Spraying pesticide or spreading seeds are two immediate examples that come to mind. Also you might want thermal cameras, multispectral cameras, and/or RTK.
For sure, using it is as a working tool that makes sense, I was thinking more some hobbyist that's just flying it around as a toy (like virtually any other RC hobby) and maybe taking a few photos/videos. Custom cameras or payloads you obviously need something a bit bigger.

nomad2020 posted:

I don’t see a whole lot of advantage to the sub 250g drones. It’s nice to have something small enough to throw in a pocket, but regulation wise you’re not really gaining much ground. Saves you $5, since you don’t need to register. When Remote ID comes into play, you won’t need to comply I guess.
I made an assumption here - I thought regulations would be similar to :canada: as elsewhere. Apparently not.

In :canada: from what I can tell, the real hard rules on <250g are don't fly near airfields, emergencies and don't do anything reckless (a little ambiguous).

https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/pu...t-vlos-tp-15263

Over 250g, you need a basic operators cert, you need to register it, you must stay 30m away from people and structures and a few other things. There are "musts" and "needs" versus "should" and "recommendations"

Of course, don''t be a garbage human or piss people off with a <250g drone but it would be far easier to charge someone with breaking regs if they are flying a >250g.

One of my friends has a neighbor in a nearby city who is constantly flying some little microdrone up and down the back alley, although periodically going over yards, hovering, presumably looking at the vid (it has a camera). She has called the cops on the creep regardless and they've talked to him but said they can't force him to do anything because of its size and seem to be reluctant with privacy/voyeurism since I don't think they can prove anything. So she has gotten together with her neighbors and getting the city to try and introduce a local bylaw.

I'm pretty fortunate that I live very close to the outskirts of my small town and can be outside of my town completely in about a 2 minute drive, or, even take off from my yard and follow a park trail system straight into out of town or pretty much anywhere via an unpopulated area if I want (IE: not flying over houses/structures).

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 6, 2023

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

mobby_6kl posted:

I really wanted a <250g drone until I looked through the EU rules carefully and most of the requirement exceptions don't apply if the drone also has a camera :negative:

Still kind of want to get the Mini 3 for easier travel and longer flight times than the Mk1 Air though.

Haven't flown a plane in at least a year, it's too much of a pain in the rear end :(

The rules on <250g are pretty permissive in the EU. With a camera it isn't in the "toy" class so you'll need a license, but having got one in two different countries it is like half an hour to read the material online and answer the easy multiple choice questions and a :10bux: registration fee. Bigger stuff you can't fly near houses, parks, roads, tourist attractions, industrial sites etc. without additional permissions, so getting a smaller one makes a lot of sense if you aren't either flying commercially or only want to use it out in the countryside.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

slidebite posted:

For sure, using it is as a working tool that makes sense, I was thinking more some hobbyist that's just flying it around as a toy (like virtually any other RC hobby) and maybe taking a few photos/videos. Custom cameras or payloads you obviously need something a bit bigger.

I made an assumption here - I thought regulations would be similar to :canada: as elsewhere. Apparently not.

In :canada: from what I can tell, the real hard rules on <250g are don't fly near airfields, emergencies and don't do anything reckless (a little ambiguous).

https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/pu...t-vlos-tp-15263

Over 250g, you need a basic operators cert, you need to register it, you must stay 30m away from people and structures and a few other things. There are "musts" and "needs" versus "should" and "recommendations"

Of course, don''t be a garbage human or piss people off with a <250g drone but it would be far easier to charge someone with breaking regs if they are flying a >250g.

One of my friends has a neighbor in a nearby city who is constantly flying some little microdrone up and down the back alley, although periodically going over yards, hovering, presumably looking at the vid (it has a camera). She has called the cops on the creep regardless and they've talked to him but said they can't force him to do anything because of its size and seem to be reluctant with privacy/voyeurism since I don't think they can prove anything. So she has gotten together with her neighbors and getting the city to try and introduce a local bylaw.

I'm pretty fortunate that I live very close to the outskirts of my small town and can be outside of my town completely in about a 2 minute drive, or, even take off from my yard and follow a park trail system straight into out of town or pretty much anywhere via an unpopulated area if I want (IE: not flying over houses/structures).

With the wide angle lens on drones they have to literally up against your window to see anything. Are you sure this isn't a neighbour freaking out over nothing? "Oh no, a drone with a camera, it must be spying on me!". Also if he's flying into private yards, there is an argument for trespassing and/or being a nuisance and TC/RCMP should take action.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

You want to drop low velocity 40mm grenades on mobiks' heads.

More seriously, the cameras and lenses are better, the range is usually longer, and so are flight times. Compare a mini 3 to a mavic 3 and you'll get the idea. If you've got even more money they start carrying interesting imagers.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 6, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

With the wide angle lens on drones they have to literally up against your window to see anything. Are you sure this isn't a neighbour freaking out over nothing? "Oh no, a drone with a camera, it must be spying on me!". Also if he's flying into private yards, there is an argument for trespassing and/or being a nuisance and TC/RCMP should take action.
I get what your saying but it's definitely not nothing, from what I've heard at least. Not so much the windows (tbh I don't think she is seriously concerned about that) it's actually way more obvious than that. For example, last year she was suntanning in her back yard in the summer and dozing and woken up by the sound of it hovering about 35' away from her basically at the top of her 8' backyard fence. It's definitely creepy and inappropriate so she is uncomfortable in her backyard now (single woman). I can personally say I witnessed it myself, having a beer with her having it flying down the alley side sideways looking into peoples yards basically at about 15' height. But I didn't see it obviously directly OVER her yard... but drat close to it.

Other neighbors have had them basically hover in the alley pointed to their yards when they're just back there and even crossed into the yards at a few meters height so it's not just her. I think the problem the cops told her is proving it and the guy has some sort of disorder or something which probably makes them reluctant as well.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I should start marking my post with :911: , didn't realize the Euro rules were so stringent, in that case I could see bigger advantages to the sub 250g drones.

evil_bunnY posted:

More seriously, the cameras and lenses are better, the range is usually longer, and so are flight times. Compare a mini 3 to a mavic 3 and you'll get the idea. If you've got even more money they start carrying interesting imagers.

DJI sells larger capacity batteries for the mini 3 with ~45 minute flight time too!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah coming from shooting with a full-frame I was really unsure about getting a little drone at all because I was concerned the camera just wouldn't be worthwhile - they're basically phone cameras on a 120m selfie stick. A Mavic 3 has a 4/3 sensor which is already a huge step up. But actually I've been pretty happy, it just took a little while to get used to its limitations and learn how to shoot with it. If I don't get bored of the aerial view I'll maybe upgrade eventually.

I've also been working with a group using some model of Matrice and fixed-wing UAVs with more interesting sensors to do environmental monitoring stuff, that's really cool.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
This is by far the coolest poo poo I’ve ever filmed and I’m pretty happy with how it turned out

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnU1KGtKxyW/?igshid=NTdlMDg3MTY=

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
That's hella cool!

What's your method for shooting over water? Cheap drone you don't care about? Your regular drone but with butt-clenching? Or do you have one of those fancy waterproof drones?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nice

I learned the other day that my Mini 2 doesn't like flying in icing conditions.

-10C with fog. Ice started forming on the props after about 5 minutes and it refused to hover and pancaked.

Landed absolutely flat and seems to have suffered zero damage, even though it hit fairly hard. Tough little drone.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

slidebite posted:

Nice

I learned the other day that my Mini 2 doesn't like flying in icing conditions.

-10C with fog. Ice started forming on the props after about 5 minutes and it refused to hover and pancaked.

Landed absolutely flat and seems to have suffered zero damage, even though it hit fairly hard. Tough little drone.

Are you allowed to fly in icing conditions? :)

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I know this one!

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-96-433/page-111.html?wbdisable=true posted:

Icing
901.35 (1) No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system when icing conditions are observed, are reported to exist or are likely to be encountered along the route of flight unless the aircraft is equipped with de-icing or anti-icing equipment and equipment designed to detect icing.

(2) No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system with frost, ice or snow adhering to any part of the remotely piloted aircraft.

However, it's a microdrone. So he can do whatever*.

*https://tc.canada.ca/sites/default/files/2020-06/2019-2020-AA-33_INFOGRAPHIC_EN_V8.pdf
avoid forest fires and trespassing

edit: according to the internet the mini 2's minimum rated temperature is 0°C. Be careful!

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 13, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DreadLlama posted:

That's hella cool!

What's your method for shooting over water? Cheap drone you don't care about? Your regular drone but with butt-clenching? Or do you have one of those fancy waterproof drones?

There really isn’t a trick to flying over water. Just like you don’t want to hit the ground, you don’t want to hit the water.

I fly nearly exclusively over water and the only thing you have to do differently is really pay attention to the wind. If you’re coming back to home into a headwind, your drone might not have the battery to do it and then you’re in the drink as opposed to land where the drone would at least land on solid ground.

Watch your battery more carefully too.

But other than that it’s not too different

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

DreadLlama posted:

I know this one!

*https://tc.canada.ca/sites/default/files/2020-06/2019-2020-AA-33_INFOGRAPHIC_EN_V8.pdf

edit: according to the internet the mini 2's minimum rated temperature is 0°C. Be careful!

I've flown mine in temps down to about -20°C and it's been fine apart from somewhat reduced battery life. Extremely dry conditions though, I'd be pretty worried to fly it in fog below freezing.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Freezing does not mean icing conditions. A good indicator is the dew-point spread. The once it gets within a couple of degrees and you have *any* kind of visible moisture, (and near/below freezing), then icing becomes a factor.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I40DQcK_6U

Ice is serious business.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DreadLlama posted:

I know this one!

Yeah, it was literally in a parking lot of a friends company that is in the middle of nowhere. What we were trying to do was get over the low level fog and see if we could get a cool pic of the facility. I wasn't going to fly for long, but that definitely put an end to it. It is literally in the middle of the country with no population for ~miles~ in any direction, so if something bizarre happened I wasn't worried, but I of course didn't want to damage the mini or have a fly-away.

I really like that little Mini 2 - its a ton of fun. Tried sport mode for the first time yesterday (sunny, 10C but a bit of a wind) and it definitely woke it up a bit.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does anyone make a thermal drone that doesn’t cost $5000?

I’m sort of surprised with flir cameras getting more common that they’re still that expensive.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Lithium batteries don't like cold. It's recommended to warm them up prior to drawing heavy current loads from them. In drone terms this usually means that you should hover above the landing pad for a minute or so to let the batteries warm up. However, even with doing this the amount of charge available is still decreased. Your overall capacity is diminished, and your max C value as well. You have less energy overall available and you can't draw it as quickly.

In addition to this, ice adds mass to the aircraft and ice on the propellers drastically decreases their aerodynamic efficiency. They need more energy to do the same amount of work - if they're capable of doing the same amount of work at all. So your drone needs more energy, and the batteries have less energy available to deliver.

Winter flying gets you from both sides, is what I'm saying. Transport Canada could have put a section on this on their drone exam, instead of poo poo about anemic hypoxia, the dangers of scuba diving before flight, or the purpose of slots on loving spoilerons, and you would know already that flying your drone in the winter is ill-advised. Instead they just basically made a law and didn't bother explaining it.

People read the rules as written and say, "pffft that's dumb" and then they go do something they think is responsible because the law is just stupid and nobody is coming out to a parking lot to enforce it anyways and then their several hundred dollar drone pancakes on the ground and their only recourse is to hope it's ok. What I'm saying is your drone falling out of the sky should have been the most predictable thing in the world to you. But the people in charge of drone education and safety failed to include that information in their curriculum.

You're not going to hurt anybody with your drone. You're not a psychopath or an idiot; you're not going out of your way to do anything you perceive as dangerous. I am worried that you will break your drone and be sad, and then I will be sad too.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does anyone make a thermal drone that doesn’t cost $5000?

I’m sort of surprised with flir cameras getting more common that they’re still that expensive.

I think your cheapest option is still the mavic 2 enterprise dual.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

I think your cheapest option is still the mavic 2 enterprise dual.

Unless a third party has an attachment, I agree with this. All the other good options I'm aware of are substantially more.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DreadLlama posted:

I am worried that you will break your drone and be sad, and then I will be sad too.
I guess this was directed at me.

If I were to crash and or otherwise lose my drone, I'd be disappointed but really *shrug* I'd probably just eventually buy a new mini 2/3 (or whatever). I've certainly had far larger disasters, financial or otherwise, happen to me.

I didn't expect a problem flying in the cold fog but I certainly wasn't shocked. I am 80% it was the ice forming on the props that caused the odd handling and quasi pancake. The drone was completely warm before flight (kept in my truck) so I wasn't worried about cold batteries and when it "landed" there was some ice/frost on the props. Another reason that there may have been an issue is I also changed between the DJI app and the Litchi app which I am not ruling out potentially causing an issue either. I've since read that isn't recommended and probably should have known better.

Either way, drone is fine. All is good. Biggest risk would have been it "landing" on the roof of the building which it did not.

I've flown it since completely without issue. I won't fly in freezing fog again. But I probably will fly on an otherwise nice day even if it is around 0C. It is :canada: after all.

I do appreciate that you would be sad if I was sad :glomp:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 15, 2023

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
my drone is really pissing me off right now. when im at home and turn everything on the dji fpv goggles v2 will connect to the caddx vista immediately, first try, showing clear video. when i bring it out to the park and turn everything on the headset says it connected and i can see the custom OSD but no image shows (just the black background with the DJI logo). i then have to do this loving ritual of power cycling the goggles and drone for 15+ mins until it randomly decides to show video. ive tried the common solutions of ensuring firmware is up to date and checking cables for loose connections but neither of those have had any success. anyone else run into this issue?

Austrian Agnostic
Jan 3, 2008
How may I smurf you today?
If you see the OSD but no image then there might be a loose connection between the air unit and the cam.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Austrian Agnostic posted:

If you see the OSD but no image then there might be a loose connection between the air unit and the cam.

Seconding this… the only thing that would change in that scenario as described would be the temperature and humidity. Bad solder joint maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

You don't want a wing. You'll want a plane with a tail. They're infinitely easier to avoid screwing up and even you build them wrong, they can be made to fly.
Build some of the FT planes. Smash a few of them and then take it from there.
It'll teach you to adjust CoG and not to worry about CoL.
You can get going for ~CAD$200 and the majority of electronics can be re-used as you scale up. (and smash some planes)

Most pixhawk flight controllers will work, but really, you should learn how to fly one without it before putting it in, as your bail-out for any drone, fixed wing or not, is to switch to a manual/stabilized mode.

You were right. You were exactly right. I don't know why I always have to learn things the hard way. I could have just listened. But I had to go see for myself. I apologize.

"FT" means "Flight Test"
https://store.flitetest.com/ft-guinea-pig-wr-1473mm/

The "Guinea Pig" can carry a truck yet weighs only 1kg.

Its baby brother, the "Mini Guinea" weighs only 256g (without electronics). It can not carry a truck. But it can carry dreams.

https://store.flitetest.com/ft-mighty-mini-guinea-mkr2/
Build Video
It is to be the "build fly crash repeat" plane.

Anyway, everybody should listen to ImplicitAssembler. They are smart.