Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have owned exactly 4 ti parts ever, 2 bolts and 2 washers and they're always self-welding to each other. Even coating them 100% with grease its super annoying. If I imagine that situation but an entire frame uh no thank you I'll take the extra 1 pound to have steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

adnam posted:

I actually just want cheaper titanium frames. I've always ridden AL due to $$ but now I have more cash, but don't like CF because I like keeping things for a long time and I'm pretty rough on my bike (translate: i'm clumsy) so I don't know if I trust myself w a CF frame
I really want a VaMoots

Hello, friend. Just get one of these https://waltlytitanium.com/

You can get them with S&S Couplings so you can travel with it too.

osker fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 3, 2023

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I managed to break a ti mtb in a pretty minor OTB crash. Cracked the DT, up by the HT juncture. Frame was very done. Fortunately, the manufacture was cool and sent me a new one... which I noted had a different DT design.

I've also put a huge dent into the TT of a carbon CX bike, had it repaired, and rode it for several more seasons.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't mind adding an old-school steel road bike to the collection for when I'm in a road bike mood but not in a super-long-distance road bike mood.

Also, I'm comfortable working on steel, much more so than aluminum. It'd be a fun bike to learn how to tinker on. And, I could have fun with the paint.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

marshalljim posted:

Frames are boring, anyway. The competitive differentiators manufacturers try to add are always either gimmicky or soon to be adopted by everyone else.

The most interesting thing about most frames is the paint. There needs to be an affordable, mass-market way to get a custom paint job like with S-Works and such for high-end frames.

The average person will care a lot more about that than a half-degree of head tube angle or some weird seat post design that necessitates a recall. Custom bike paint for everyone! Now.

I'm pretty happy with the custom paint on my Carbonda gravel bike, and the frame/fork/seatpost/bars/paint was just over $1k USD including shipping.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm looking at buying some more bibs since yet another old bib has developed a hole since I've gotten back in to riding.

I've bought two Pedal Mafia bibs in the past year and I like them a lot, although I'm learning that other companies like MAAP exist.

Anything else in particular to try? Can I really wear kit with PNS on it with a straight face?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

I'm looking at buying some more bibs since yet another old bib has developed a hole since I've gotten back in to riding.

I've bought two Pedal Mafia bibs in the past year and I like them a lot, although I'm learning that other companies like MAAP exist.

Anything else in particular to try? Can I really wear kit with PNS on it with a straight face?

Assos bibs are the best things you’ll ever put on your bottom half

bicievino posted:

I'm pretty happy with the custom paint on my Carbonda gravel bike, and the frame/fork/seatpost/bars/paint was just over $1k USD including shipping.

This is so hot. My word

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I bought a pair of Assos Mille GT Bibs on sale a while back and they're...fine I guess? I honestly prefer the fit of the PM stuff I have.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Havana Affair posted:

They have a Taiwanese address listed as well so I guess that's how the bypass the tax? Like if you import eg. a Surly bike here they ship it straight from Taiwan and if it was shipped instead from China the mark up would be around 50%. There's some exceptions I can't be bothered to understand. It's kinda silly anyways since if that surly would be shipped with parts in a separate container and put together here you could call it made in EU.

Founded in Taiwan, expanded into China.

And yes getting around tariffs is an interesting, stupid game. If you want a specific example, read this:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry-news/2018/09/24/collateral-damage-tariffs-force-light-motion-go-offshore

TL;DR

Light & Motion made its lights in the US.
Trump introduces 10% and later 25% tariffs on most goods coming out of China.
Since Light & Motion sources LEDs, PCBs, surface components, etc. from China, they were going to be hit hard.
Meanwhile Light & Motion's competitors do all of their manufacturing in China and "safety equipment" is exempt from the tariffs.
Light & Motion moved its production out of the US to the Philippines as a result.

USA! USA! USA! Oh wait.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Residency Evil posted:

Can I really wear kit with PNS on it with a straight face?

I won't buy anything from PNS because, well, come on man :colbert:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Sphyre posted:

Gotta admit, I tried some PNS and it fits like deglove.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Those Carbonda frames are such a steal. My gravel bike is a 696.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

osker posted:

Those Carbonda frames are such a steal. My gravel bike is a 696.

Yeah, if you have a decent parts bin, getting the frame can lead to a cheaper build than buying any of the middleman Carbonda complete bikes.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Newbie question: I've been riding my Specialized Crossroads 2.0 since I got it in June, and I more or less like it. I went with it because it's an easy upright hybrid, and I'd only had recent experience on the Citi Bikes here in NYC, which are a similar size. It's served me pretty well; I can do 20 miles pretty easily and have even done a 40 and a 60 mile ride (though the latter was on the mostly flat part of the Empire State Trail south of Brewster).

However, I have recently been bitten by the idea of... going faster. I blame the spandex guys in Central Park. And I'm not really sure this bike is going to cut it. The main thing is, it's very
upright. Like, I think it's the most upright you can be without going full beach cruiser - the Crossroads has bars that rise at the ends, unlike another hybrid like the Specialized Sirrus, which has actually flat bars that don't rise as much. I have a lot of trouble doing any kind of comfortable leaning forward on this bike, and often find myself sliding forward on the saddle trying to bring my body in closer to something more aerodynamic.

I'm debating two paths - a new bike with drop bars, or a modding this bike to have actually-flat flat bars. I'm a little worried about drop bars because I bike in the city, and I've heard it's a bit harder to keep your head on a swivel when you're in a drop-bar position. On the other hand, I like the idea of being able to do longer rides and having multiple hand positions - when I did my 60 mile ride, I had some pretty significant hand/wrist stress the next couple days because I'd been gripping things too tightly in the same position for too long.

That said, I'm also not really sure if I can just swap the Crossroads's handlebars for flatter bars and get what I want; the frame geometry is different from the Sirrus and I don't know if it'd be comfortable.

There's some galaxy brain solution here where I get a proper drop-bar road (or gravel, I guess?) bike for the big rides, and a folding bike for my normal errands (I do not have space in this apartment for two full-size bikes :v:), but I don't think I can spend quite that much yet.

Y'all got any takes on the ease/difficulty of learning drop bars, and whether it's reasonable to use drop bars to get around urban areas? Figure deciding on whether I'm ok with drop bars is probably the best way to figure out my next move.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sphyre posted:

TobinHatesYou posted:

Gotta admit, I tried some PNS and it fits like deglove.

I can’t wait to show my PNS off.

My wife rolled her eyes.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Bought a PNS winter kit back in the fall. Love it. The "Men's Essential Thermal Jacket" is especially fantastic.

TBH though, Rapha is like half the price for me and works just as well.

dema fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 4, 2023

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

abraham linksys posted:

I'm debating two paths - a new bike with drop bars, or a modding this bike to have actually-flat flat bars. I'm a little worried about drop bars because I bike in the city, and I've heard it's a bit harder to keep your head on a swivel when you're in a drop-bar position.

Unless you have a really stiff neck, this isn't true I think.

abraham linksys posted:

There's some galaxy brain solution here where I get a proper drop-bar road (or gravel, I guess?) bike for the big rides, and a folding bike for my normal errands (I do not have space in this apartment for two full-size bikes :v:), but I don't think I can spend quite that much yet.

Y'all got any takes on the ease/difficulty of learning drop bars, and whether it's reasonable to use drop bars to get around urban areas? Figure deciding on whether I'm ok with drop bars is probably the best way to figure out my next move.

Get more bikes. Call Velo NYC - I think they have road and gravel bikes for rent.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

I've heard it's a bit harder to keep your head on a swivel

Minor rant: but "head on a swivel" is one of the dumbest sayings ever. Your brain just doesn't work that way. If you swing your head from one side to the other, it takes it a moment to reinterpret what it's seeing. Super counter productive. You want to keep your eyes up, ahead, and your field of vision wide. You want to pay attention and avoid spacing out.

No swiveling!!!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

adnam posted:

I actually just want cheaper titanium frames. I've always ridden AL due to $$ but now I have more cash, but don't like CF because I like keeping things for a long time and I'm pretty rough on my bike (translate: i'm clumsy) so I don't know if I trust myself w a CF frame
I really want a VaMoots

There was a goon who posted pictures of their Bikes Direct ti gravel bike in the pictures thread and it always looked really good

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

dema posted:

Minor rant: but "head on a swivel" is one of the dumbest sayings ever. Your brain just doesn't work that way. If you swing your head from one side to the other, it takes it a moment to reinterpret what it's seeing. Super counter productive. You want to keep your eyes up, ahead, and your field of vision wide. You want to pay attention and avoid spacing out.

No swiveling!!!

I read "head on a swivel" as being able to keep an eye on your surroundings, especially things that aren't directly ahead of you. As a person who, in good weather at least, frequently takes bike rides partially or wholly on urban streets, I get the concern. I'm not sure how one can safely ride on shared roads, especially busy ones, without occasionally looking around. Two times now, I've nearly been run over by drivers running stop signs, and I only stayed safe by "keeping my head on a swivel."

To me, looking from side to side and even behind is paying attention and not spacing out.

As for the original question, though... flat bars and drops are both good at different things. I have a really upright hybrid (Cypress), a fairly road bike with a standard low riding position (Contend AR), and a flat bar hybrid (Escape) that has a riding position about halfway between the other two.

For long or fast rides, it's the Contend all day long and thrice on Sunday. But, these rides have relatively little interaction with busy city streets. So, I sometimes still ride the Escape when speed and/or distance aren't a goal. It's the bike I take to the grocery store and to the campground because it's more upright, more comfortable, has a nice rack, and allows me to look around extremely easily.

Both styles are good, so if it's gotta be one or the other, think about what you'll want to do the most. Now that I've put a bunch of miles on both, I will say that for me, the Escape is slightly better than the Contend for urban and leisurely riding, but the Contend is a whole lot better than the Escape for long distance and fast rides. If I had to pick just one, I'd go with the Contend. It's not like I can't look around while I'm riding it; it's just less comfortable, especially for some angles. And if I wanted, I could throw a rack on it pretty easily.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Do yours have flat or raised seams inside? My mid-range ones have the most rough and highest seams of any bibs I have. They ruin my skin so I just don't wear them anymore.

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 4, 2023

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Personally, I don't mind riding in busy downtown traffic on a drop bar bike, but I am *very* used to it. I am probably above-average fit and flexible, but I don't find it an issue for neck comfort or whatever.

Trying it out to see if it works for you is probably the best way to go.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

bicievino posted:

Personally, I don't mind riding in busy downtown traffic on a drop bar bike, but I am *very* used to it. I am probably above-average fit and flexible, but I don't find it an issue for neck comfort or whatever.

Trying it out to see if it works for you is probably the best way to go.

It’s also possible to have a more upright, comfortable, commuter bike with a rack that also has drop bars, negating the issue entirely.

Having narrower bars is far more useful for city riding / getting through doors if anything.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Salt Fish posted:

I have owned exactly 4 ti parts ever, 2 bolts and 2 washers and they're always self-welding to each other. Even coating them 100% with grease its super annoying. If I imagine that situation but an entire frame uh no thank you I'll take the extra 1 pound to have steel.

Use anti-seize instead of grease when combining parts like aluminum bolts into Ti frames or vice versa. That's it really, Ti frames are generally less likely to corrode than steel or alloy just put the right stuff between dissimilar metals.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

wooger posted:

It’s also possible to have a more upright, comfortable, commuter bike with a rack that also has drop bars, negating the issue entirely.

Having narrower bars is far more useful for city riding / getting through doors if anything.

I have so many goddamn problems getting my bike to fit through my apartment doorways to where i need to store it that i hadn't considered this as a perk

when you say having an upright commuter with drop bars, are you talking about modding drop bars on to a hybrid, or are there just road/gravel bikes with drop bars that are more upright than others? I have a lot of trouble eyeballing bikes online and figuring out what the heck their relative geometries are to each other when it comes to fit

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

when you say having an upright commuter with drop bars, are you talking about modding drop bars on to a hybrid, or are there just road/gravel bikes with drop bars that are more upright than others? I have a lot of trouble eyeballing bikes online and figuring out what the heck their relative geometries are to each other when it comes to fit

gravel, endurance, adventure, etc are generally going to be more upright and less aggressive than a road race bike. this genre of bike is very trendy right now but for good reason - drop bars are good but most regular people don't need/want a race geometry or hyperlight carbon frame.

it's not a universal rule, but as long as the marketing description doesn't emphasize racing and speed above all else that's probably a good starting point. if the frame has eyelets for mounting racks and fenders that's another good sign that it's a more utility-oriented and likely more comfortable as well.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
^^I have a CAADX, which is categorized as a cyclocross bike, that I use as a commuter. I replaced the knobbies with puncture-resistant street tires and use combo pedals that are flat on one side and fit cleats on the other.

I can ride to work with a messenger bag and also go on long rides on the weekends. It has braze-on mounts for a rack, though I haven't installed one.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

bicievino posted:

Yeah, that is a very good looking bike, and that is a lot less than I would've guessed.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

abraham linksys posted:

If you are even close to average balance / dexterity / body conciousness, for an adult human, and don't have neck or back issues, it will take you less than 2 or 3 hours to get used to riding drop bars. I understand that they may seem intimidating to the uninitiated, but they really shouldn't be.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Guinness posted:

gravel, endurance, adventure, etc are generally going to be more upright and less aggressive than a road race bike. this genre of bike is very trendy right now but for good reason - drop bars are good but most regular people don't need/want a race geometry or hyperlight carbon frame.

it's not a universal rule, but as long as the marketing description doesn't emphasize racing and speed above all else that's probably a good starting point. if the frame has eyelets for mounting racks and fenders that's another good sign that it's a more utility-oriented and likely more comfortable as well.

this makes sense. I've been looking a bit at gravel bikes trying to figure out if that's what I'm looking for. While 98% of my use would be on roads, I do think gravel riding could be a fun option, might be nice to take a bike on the Old Croton Trailway sometime.

Any good leads on where to start around the $1k range? I know that's really low, especially nowadays, but I'm wary of dropping too much cash on a bike that I am going to occasionally leave locked up outside when running errands. I felt really happy about the Crossroads at $775, with the only real compromise being that it has a a 14-speed setup I kind of hate. State's All-Roads seem reasonable (I really, really should have bought one when they were doing their Black Friday sales in retrospect, ugh). I'm gonna try to be somewhat patient and make this a long-term goal and hope I catch another discount between now and, I dunno, May.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
There is a big range from low handlebar road race type bike to really tall handlebars pretty much a mountain bike with drops

Anyway a "gravel" bike is a good choice as you tend to get mounts for fenders and racks, a reasonably durable frame and wheels, and big tires that are good for more than just offroad as you don't have to worry as much about curbs or potholes. Take a look at the Kona rove (the AL base model is 1100, nicer steel ones more) and the salsa journeyperson for example

https://konaworld.com/rove_al_650.cfm

If I'm just commuting without a specific plan to ride road bikes in a group or go mountain biking after I ride my cyclocross bike. I do have an old 26" mtb commuter but it's slow and heavy and just sits in the basement.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

abraham linksys posted:

You also don't have to ride in the drops. I'm on the hoods probably 95% of the time I'm on the bike, and having my hands rotated 90 degrees from their position on the flat bar is way more comfortable. NTM well set up drop bars and hoods (assuming you get the appropriate length stem) give you way more hand positions than flat bars.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

abraham linksys posted:

this makes sense. I've been looking a bit at gravel bikes trying to figure out if that's what I'm looking for.

You might want to look at touring bikes, too. They generally come with drop bars but have relaxed geometry for spending lots of time in the saddle, and many people use them as commuters and all-around bikes. One perk is that you're guaranteed to get rack and fender mounts, and typically clearance for fairly wide tires.

A few popular touring bikes are the Trek 520, Fuji Touring, Kona Sutra, and the Marin Four Corners. I think Surly makes at least a couple different ones, too.

Probably the biggest downside is that touring bikes can be boring to ride, since they emphasize stability and comfort over responsiveness and such.

marshalljim fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 5, 2023

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

marshalljim posted:

You might want to look at touring bikes, too. They generally come with drop bars but have relaxed geometry for spending lots of time in the saddle, and many people use them as commuters and all-around bikes. One perk is that you're guaranteed to get rack and fender mounts, and typically clearance for fairly wide tires.

A few popular touring bikes are the Trek 520, Fuji Touring, Kona Sutra, and the Marin Four Corners. I think Surly makes at least a couple different ones, too.

Probably the biggest downside is that touring bikes can be boring to ride, since they emphasize stability and comfort over responsiveness and such.

I have a Trek 520 and adore it for touring/longer rides but do not enjoy riding it in NYC proper very much. It's a bit of a land barge and NYC streets IME are full of enough stupid poo poo happening constantly I find a more responsive bike a bit less stressful to ride. But if you're less neurotic than I am it might be great!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Is it weird that what I want in a bike right now is a Canyon Grail with a normal cockpit and a road (Ultegra 12s di2) group set?

GRX is behind the times but getting updated and I don't want it until it does and adding a Grizl 12s di2 would be nice at not SLX prices), but the Endurace doesn't have quite enough tire clearance.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Domanes fit like 38s...

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road-bikes/domane/domane-sl/domane-sl-7-gen-4/p/36153/?colorCode=grey

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

abraham linksys posted:

Newbie question: I've been riding my Specialized Crossroads 2.0 since I got it in June, and I more or less like it. I went with it because it's an easy upright hybrid,

I'm debating two paths - a new bike with drop bars, or a modding this bike to have actually-flat flat bars.

There's some galaxy brain solution here where I get a proper drop-bar road (or gravel, I guess?) bike for the big rides, and a folding bike for my normal errands

Trying a different flat bar for a slightly more aggressive riding position is a cheap try but I'll be honest I think you're wasting your time and should go for a steel or aluminum gravel/all road bike. When I went from a giant roam to a salsa vaya I was instantly hooked on drop bar bikes and the only thing I like flat bars for now are mountain bikes. My roach bike still has a flat bar but thats just because it's my roach bike.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
... I just spent way too long looking at the Marin Nicasio. It's a gravel bike made out of steel. There are some mountain bike paths near the university that I could get scared on before getting back in the parks and the road.

I need to quit looking at bikes.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
When it comes to the Nicasio line the higher trim 700c seems decent. The lower trim 700c version isn't bad for a beginner bike but you're getting a much more basic bike.

The 650b version is flat out a bad bike. Don't waste your money.

When I left the bike industry Marin was having some serious QC issues with some of their frames but I don't think the Nicasio line was effected. Do some reading. Avoid their aluminum road/hybrid forks.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tarlibone posted:

... I just spent way too long looking at the Marin Nicasio. It's a gravel bike made out of steel. There are some mountain bike paths near the university that I could get scared on before getting back in the parks and the road.

I need to quit looking at bikes.

Don't google surly straggler, I did and now I'm waiting for a big box to appear at my door. I also have no money now.