Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pingui posted:

I am not saying that hospital occupancy has nothing to do with PASC hospitalizations, but the hospitalizations graphed above are COVID positive hospitalizations. A hospitalization as a consequence of PASC is not registered on those graphs, unless the PASC sufferer incidentally also has an active infection.

That's fair, and a distinction that should be drawn here indeed. I guess I was automatically assuming that many would go directly to PASC, skipping re-hospitalization with some other cause, but I don't have a rigorous basis to assume that either.

Going to shoot a letter of inquiry to our healthcare ministry, to ask if they track PASC data internally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

In Supplementary Table 6 (I assume this was before weighting), cohorts with more reinfections generally have more health problems, so to match them you would need to take a similar demographic of people in the other cohorts. I think what ends up happening is that your study participants become even less similar to the general population.
The reweighting appears to be done such that the reinfections group is matched to the unweighted characteristics of the no reinfections group, not the other way around. Also the big issue with this study is the difference between the no vs multiple-reinfection groups, not so much the prevalences reported for the no reinfection group.

I don't know of any sorry, but my intuition is that the general results of this paper would hold up (i.e. vaccines reduce long COVID), simply because the vaccines demonstrably reduce other negative outcomes such as severe disease and death. I feel like you'll never get the perfect study you're after though, every one has flaws. I would have been interested to see what would happen if previous infection was a variable in that regression, and as the authors admit themselves self-reporting (especially from nearly two years prior) is always a limitation and the results can't be deemed causal.
There really aren't many (any?) large studies of post-infection impact prevalences that include triple-boosted younger people with a control group. It's plausible that triple-boosted 30 year olds are less impacted, and there are definitely no perfect studies but there should at least be some good evidence backing the claim. Al-Aly's work is valuable IMO because they're using the large VA dataset to actually try to measure post-infection impact prevalences and answer questions like how much do vaccines help, how do people do after multiple infections vs none etc. Their studies have issues with generality but there don't seem to be many better ones.

I think there's been enough infections now that you can probably roughly estimate how reliable any reported long COVID/loss of immunity prevalence figures are by considering how it would affect the world if true. Something like say 10% of every COVID infection providing long-lasting complications would be instantly noticeable by every hospital, not just as a sudden spike but as a forever sustained increase of patients.

Slow News Day posted:

Some estimates supposedly put the number of long-haulers to be in the millions, which, even if if were believable, would not be very meaningful. As Charles 2 of Spain says, if the long-term damage caused by COVID was even 1/10th as common as those estimates suggest, we would notice it in things like sustained hospital numbers, not to mention things like disability benefit applications.
These are reasonable points, but there have in fact been an uptick in certain hospital-treated medical conditions over the course of the pandemic.

US fatal heart attacks have been elevated over the course of the pandemic

US fatal heart disease in aggregate was elevated in 2020:

Additionally there has in fact been an increase in the number of people working in the US with a disability over the course of the pandemic:

I'm not saying these reported increases are the last word on whether any specific PASC incidence estimates are correct, just saying it's not obvious that there haven't been any increases in certain hospital-treated medical conditions or the number of disabled people. If you're going to claim that the PASC incidences reported in various studies and in survey data are overestimated because hospital and disability numbers don't reflect it then you should probably present some of those numbers as evidence.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There's also an absolutely hellish number of confounding variables. If you had a bunch of people getting less exercise and under more stress with no pandemic, would you see these same numbers? I'm not sure, but it seems plausible. If you had a bunch of people who delayed getting treatment, or couldn't get treatment, for smaller concerns, would it look like this? Again, I can't say for sure, but it seems plausible.

It's also plausible that it's damage from COVID infection, of course. The truth is: we don't know, and at this point I don't think we can know. We would be well advised to proceed with caution at this point, in my view.

Cygnids
Dec 14, 2021

PT6A posted:

I don't think I'm being hostile to people who are more diligent than me about avoiding COVID. They are free to do what they think is best. I am upset that, despite still doing more than average, there's some sort of sense that those of us who have relaxed certain precautions have engaged in some sort of betrayal. I took more precautions than my mum being treated for lung cancer, and my friend who's immuno-suppressed. I put my career on hold for a year; a hole which I'm just now starting to climb my way out of. I missed my best friend's wedding. I still wear an N-95 in all public spaces someone might be obligated to go to, and most other public areas where it's practicable without excessive inconvenience. I did those things, and I do those things, because I believe they were the right choice at the time. I don't know I'd make a different choice in hindsight.

So, at this point, where I'm still reeling from the effects of being more cautious than average, and certainly more cautious than required by law, it stings to have people say, essentially, "well, now, after 3 years and the government basically giving up, the fact that you're only slightly more cautious than average is unspeakable." Maybe that is a personal issue on my part, but it pisses me off. Maybe it's an issue where me and those folks felt like we were one group, us against the world, and we're both equally pissed off that the road reached a fork and we've chosen to go in different directions. But the truth is that. at this point, the insane anti-vaxxer at work, who never took it seriously or did a goddamn thing (her husband spent a good while in the ICU with COVID, no surprise), has consistently been more respectful of my choices to wear a mask and get the vaccines, than my erstwhile "friends" are about my choice to take certain risks they don't approve of, and that upsets me.

I think I'm done here. I'm trying to talk you through the process of being empathetic towards the people you're talking about and you just want to rant about how good you've been. Yeah, sure, you're so non-hostile towards these people who (according to you) never leave their house and are letting covid rule their lives, you're so kind by saying they are free to do what they want, you're the perfect ally.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cygnids posted:

I think I'm done here. I'm trying to talk you through the process of being empathetic towards the people you're talking about and you just want to rant about how good you've been. Yeah, sure, you're so non-hostile towards these people who (according to you) never leave their house and are letting covid rule their lives, you're so kind by saying they are free to do what they want, you're the perfect ally.

I think you're being ridiculous and proving my point. I'm empathetic to the people who are taking more precautions than I am, because I've been through it and I know it's not easy or pleasant. I'm not asking you, or anyone, to approve of my personal choices; what I'm asking for is that people not be openly hostile to me for relaxing some, but not all, precautions for myself. I still wear an N95 mask in public any time I'm around anyone I don't know outside a context which precludes it (restaurants/bars), and I even shave every morning to make sure it has a decent seal, don't worry!

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Nocturtle posted:

The reweighting appears to be done such that the reinfections group is matched to the unweighted characteristics of the no reinfections group, not the other way around. Also the big issue with this study is the difference between the no vs multiple-reinfection groups, not so much the prevalences reported for the no reinfection group.
Granted, but the no reinfections group still have high rates of health issues compared to the non-infected control. Reweighting can't change the overall demographic profile of this particular cohort of people.

Nocturtle posted:

There really aren't many (any?) large studies of post-infection impact prevalences that include triple-boosted younger people with a control group. It's plausible that triple-boosted 30 year olds are less impacted, and there are definitely no perfect studies but there should at least be some good evidence backing the claim. Al-Aly's work is valuable IMO because they're using the large VA dataset to actually try to measure post-infection impact prevalences and answer questions like how much do vaccines help, how do people do after multiple infections vs none etc. Their studies have issues with generality but there don't seem to be many better ones.
Given what we know about COVID, age and vaccines, I think it's far more than plausible that a triple-boosted 30 year old would be less impacted by post-COVID symptoms than the average person in this study. I agree that the work is valuable to quantify the impacts of the most vulnerable people getting infected, but I don't think the results extrapolate much to the general population apart from "not getting re-infected is better than getting re-infected".

Nocturtle posted:

These are reasonable points, but there have in fact been an uptick in certain hospital-treated medical conditions over the course of the pandemic.

US fatal heart attacks have been elevated over the course of the pandemic

US fatal heart disease in aggregate was elevated in 2020:

I'm not saying these reported increases are the last word on whether any specific PASC incidence estimates are correct, just saying it's not obvious that there haven't been any increases in certain hospital-treated medical conditions or the number of disabled people. If you're going to claim that the PASC incidences reported in various studies and in survey data are overestimated because hospital and disability numbers don't reflect it then you should probably present some of those numbers as evidence.
The heart attack data isn't surprising to me since it happens with other diseases as well, but like I said a rate of 10% of infections having severe complications wouldn't see those numbers elevated, they'd be through the roof.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PT6A posted:

I think you're being ridiculous and proving my point. I'm empathetic to the people who are taking more precautions than I am, because I've been through it and I know it's not easy or pleasant. I'm not asking you, or anyone, to approve of my personal choices; what I'm asking for is that people not be openly hostile to me for relaxing some, but not all, precautions for myself. I still wear an N95 mask in public any time I'm around anyone I don't know outside a context which precludes it (restaurants/bars), and I even shave every morning to make sure it has a decent seal, don't worry!

You should go start a blog or something, no one here actually gives a poo poo about what precautions you're personally taking or the many certainly real people who are constantly judging you for them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PT6A if you're looking for some kind of moral absolution from strangers on a comedy forum (why?): COVID, like climate change, is a collective action problem. Your individual actions will have no effect on the course of the pandemic, any more than you could affect climate change by getting up two hours earlier to take 3 different busses to work thanks to our underfunded transit system. If you want to and can do it, great, but if you can't you aren't dooming the world thereby.

Our government decided to please the small class of ultrarich people whose only desire is to make some numbers get bigger, at the cost of a million plus lives, if your friends are scolding you personally they've fallen into the trap of individualism that neoliberalism uses to shift blame from government and class interests onto ordinary people who have been placed into a no-win scenario. Sometimes you gotta take a job that isn't work-from-home, sometimes you gotta fly to visit your grandma, or whatever. If your friends don't get that maybe don't talk to them anymore idk.

You gotta take care of yourself too, maybe we can create a better world one day where people aren't forced to make terrible choices just to exist.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just ignore those people and especially ignore goons. Dunno what else to tell you. Anyone giving you poo poo for going out despite wearing an N95 isn’t really worth paying attention to in 2023. We’re not all IT remote workers with the ability to afford an endless train of gig workers to deliver supplies.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

No one is making fun of him for wearing N95s. He's upset because he's seeing 'going to restaurants during a pandemic' being used as shorthand for 'being stupid, irresponsible and selfish' by some people and feels aggrieved because he's going to restaurants during a pandemic.

And look, PT6A, that's your cognitive dissonance to deal with. You aren't going to convince anyone who doesn't already believe it's fine that going into a restaurant unmasked is necessary or responsible behaviour, or that they need to carve out exceptions in their jokes for people who usually mask and only occasionally go into restaurants unmasked.

Either stop caring what the wrong people think, or if you think they aren't wrong stop doing the thing they think is dumb. That's it, those are the options.

knulla
Jun 6, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HazCat posted:

No one is making fun of him for wearing N95s.

I am. If you wear an n95 now you're hilariously prone to narrative capture and worthy of plenty of insults.

Make fun of me too--I wore a mask exactly one time, never was tested, never vaccinated. There was no pandemic for me and my family and my entire state, really. Great few years, these last.

You all wasted years of your lives and if you're still so clueless that you're wearing masks, you deserve all the insults you get.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

gently caress off idiot

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

That dude has an astonishing 9% probation rate (9% of his posts leading to probations). It's rare to see someone on here for 18 years with 139 posts total, virtually all of them poo poo posting right wing memes and having probes off 12 of them.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 5, 2023

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

gently caress off idiot

Shammypants posted:

That dude has an astonishing 9% probation rate (9% of his posts leading to probations). It's rare to see someone on here for 18 years with 139 posts total, virtually all of them poo poo posting right wing memes and having probes off 12 of them.

It's been handled, please return to discussing COVID-19.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Shammypants posted:

Haha where does it say this?

EDIT: I'm not doubting you, I'm curious which button one pushes in order to see these statistics.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 5, 2023

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Fritz the Horse posted:

It's been handled, please return to discussing COVID-19.

Oops sorry, didn't see that post before posting my post.

To get back to Covid talk, do the take-home 15 minute tests have a significant error rate? I've been having mild flu-ish symptoms the past week. I took the IHealth test and it came up negative, but I'm still kind of wondering.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Gynovore posted:

Oops sorry, didn't see that post before posting my post.

To get back to Covid talk, do the take-home 15 minute tests have a significant error rate? I've been having mild flu-ish symptoms the past week. I took the IHealth test and it came up negative, but I'm still kind of wondering.

Short answer: yes, rapid tests have a high false negative rate. I suggest you test once or twice a day for several days and I also recommend doing a combined nose and throat swab: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qHTBlxfNes

I'm sure someone has more specific data on hand.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
NAAT covid tests are still free and readily available at Walgreens. You'll have proper results in a couple hours.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Fritz the Horse posted:

Short answer: yes, rapid tests have a high false negative rate. I suggest you test once or twice a day for several days and I also recommend doing a combined nose and throat swab: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qHTBlxfNes

I'm sure someone has more specific data on hand.

I did some googling and found that IHealth tests have a false negative rate of 5% to 35% depending on who you talk to. WTF? A home pregnancy test that sucked that hard would never go near the market.

I'm prolly not going to test again because I'm feeling better today and I'm fully vaxxed+boosted. Also that was our last test.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Gynovore posted:

I did some googling and found that IHealth tests have a false negative rate of 5% to 35% depending on who you talk to. WTF? A home pregnancy test that sucked that hard would never go near the market.

Think about all the people with symptomatic covid out there taking a test, getting a false negative, shrugging and getting on the train unmasked.

Honestly this would have been a great time to teach people to wear masks when they're sick with ANYTHING just in case but no, Freedumb.

knulla
Jun 6, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Goons seem to be missing the impending tidal shift in attitude towards the vaccines. In this post I'll lay out some evidence that you should at least be skeptical of the notion that these vaccines are safe and effective, based on the real phase 3 which is still underway on the entire human population.

First, Rasmussen reports that 28% of Americans believe they know somebody who was injured due to the covid vaccine and half believe that the vaccines may be causing unexpected deaths: https://www.themainewire.com/2023/01/americans-sour-on-covid-19-vaccine-rasmussen/

This one you goons will easily dismiss: Americans are stupid, a quarter of them believe electricity flows faster downhill, of course they believe this bullshit. Fair enough!

Second, Australia's covid reporting for weeks 51 & 52 (EOY '22) is quite interesting: https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Documents/weekly-covid-overview-20221231.pdf

The table at the end gives some very interesting details. Such as: Over the time period, zero unvaccinated people showed up to the hospital, and (obviously) zero went into ICUs for covid. Those with one dose: 10 in hospital, 1 in icu. Two doses: 218 hospital, 17 ICU. Three doses: 377 & 29. Four or more doses: 810 hospitalized, 58 in the ICU.

At that time period, in Australia, 97% of people had at least one dose, so that means only 3% of people were totally unvaccinated.

There could be a bunch of statistical reasons and confounding factors that could lead to this outcome, while still maintaining these gene therapies are effective. However, the fact that the purebloods are not at all represented in the covid data should at least give a little pause. If the vaccine was so effective, wouldn't you expect even one or two of those 3% to show up in the stats? Really? All the conspiracy theorists in Australia just happen to be strangely robust? Since none of them seem to be affected by covid while the vaxxed are, at the very least it seems plausible to say that those unvaccinated somehow had better immune systems than the rest. Or the disease already wiped out all the purebloods in earlier weeks and now only the few strong survive.

Finally, all-cause 2022 excess mortality in Australia is now greater than the total number of covid deaths recorded. Strange.

And the cherry on top: Australia announced that they would no longer be providing covid hopsitalization data with vaccination status breakdown any longer. Huh, strange. I guess it's just us crazy people's wild, stupid interpretations of their data that's leading them to this--better to have less public info than have tinfoilhatters mangle stats, right?

I'm genuinely curious: Are any vaxxmaxxer goons here starting to question the vaccines whereas before they hadn't?

knulla fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 12, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

no

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
no

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
did you seriously unironically use the term "purebloods"

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I go to themainewire.com for all of my information on covid vaccines

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’ll ask for a bit longer pencils than this.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
the mRNA vaccine is as much a 'gene therapy' as getting any other virus and your body learning how to defend against it is gene therapy.

so if that scares you as oogy boogy gene therapy, i dunno what to tell you

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

In response to the question posed by the vaxxmaxxer/pureblood guy, my answer is "no"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

knulla posted:

Goons seem to be missing the impending tidal shift in attitude towards the vaccines. In this post I'll lay out some evidence that you should at least be skeptical of the notion that these vaccines are safe and effective, based on the real phase 3 which is still underway on the entire human population.

First, Rasmussen reports that 28% of Americans believe they know somebody who was injured due to the covid vaccine and half believe that the vaccines may be causing unexpected deaths: https://www.themainewire.com/2023/01/americans-sour-on-covid-19-vaccine-rasmussen/

This one you goons will easily dismiss: Americans are stupid, a quarter of them believe electricity flows faster downhill, of course they believe this bullshit. Fair enough!

Second, Australia's covid reporting for weeks 51 & 52 (EOY '22) is quite interesting: https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Documents/weekly-covid-overview-20221231.pdf

The table at the end gives some very interesting details. Such as: Over the time period, zero unvaccinated people showed up to the hospital, and (obviously) zero went into ICUs for covid. Those with one dose: 10 in hospital, 1 in icu. Two doses: 218 hospital, 17 ICU. Three doses: 377 & 29. Four or more doses: 810 hospitalized, 58 in the ICU.

At that time period, in Australia, 97% of people had at least one dose, so that means only 3% of people were totally unvaccinated.

There could be a bunch of statistical reasons and confounding factors that could lead to this outcome, while still maintaining these gene therapies are effective. However, the fact that the purebloods are not at all represented in the covid data should at least give a little pause. If the vaccine was so effective, wouldn't you expect even one or two of those 3% to show up in the stats? Really? All the conspiracy theorists in Australia just happen to be strangely robust? Since none of them seem to be affected by covid while the vaxxed are, at the very least it seems plausible to say that those unvaccinated somehow had better immune systems than the rest. Or the disease already wiped out all the purebloods in earlier weeks and now only the few strong survive.

Finally, all-cause 2022 excess mortality in Australia is now greater than the total number of covid deaths recorded. Strange.

And the cherry on top: Australia announced that they would no longer be providing covid hopsitalization data with vaccination status breakdown any longer. Huh, strange. I guess it's just us crazy people's wild, stupid interpretations of their data that's leading them to this--better to have less public info than have tinfoilhatters mangle stats, right?

I'm genuinely curious: Are any vaxxmaxxer goons here starting to question the vaccines whereas before they hadn't?

This post is pureblood Dunning-Kruger

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

In response to the question posed by the vaxxmaxxer/pureblood guy, my answer is "no"

Fair enough, I’ll take that. I’d just like the thread to not devolve into two pages of no/empty quotes.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

knulla posted:

I'm waiting for evidence not ramblings of a moron.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This is probably a stupid question, but if being unvaccinated makes you immune to covid, what was putting all those people in the ICU prior to February 2021 or so when the general public started receiving the vaccines?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

VitalSigns posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but if being unvaccinated makes you immune to covid, what was putting all those people in the ICU prior to February 2021 or so when the general public started receiving the vaccines?

Typical vaxxmaxxer cope, I say, between death-rattle coughs that wrack my entire body. Must be a cold I picked up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

VitalSigns posted:

All those people were part of the closed vaccine trials, obviously

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Tarezax posted:

did you seriously unironically use the term "purebloods"

that and "gene therapy" are two surefire ways to convince people that you are not a completely broke brained insane conspiracy theorist

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Fair enough, I’ll take that. I’d just like the thread to not devolve into two pages of no/empty quotes.

That can be accomplished by removing the person soliciting them. Right now, they're defining the scope of acceptable discourse.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

knulla posted:

There could be a bunch of statistical reasons and confounding factors that could lead to this outcome, while still maintaining these gene therapies are effective. However, the fact that the purebloods are not at all represented in the covid data should at least give a little pause. If the vaccine was so effective, wouldn't you expect even one or two of those 3% to show up in the stats? Really?

Yes you would, and if you look around at other weekly reports from December 2022, they do

knulla posted:

All the conspiracy theorists in Australia just happen to be strangely robust? Since none of them seem to be affected by covid while the vaxxed are, at the very least it seems plausible to say that those unvaccinated somehow had better immune systems than the rest. Or the disease already wiped out all the purebloods in earlier weeks and now only the few strong survive.
Did you get bored and fall asleep before reading the last column in that table? There were six deaths of unvaccinated people purebloods

3% of the population, yet 6% of the covid deaths in that 14-day report you linked. And this is the report you picked to make the vaccine look as bad as possible.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Calling mRNA vaccines gene therapy is incredibly stupid. It demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of the subject matter and also shows what kind of sources you base your opinion on.

On a related note: All this antivaxxer bullcrap about "gene therapy" and how spike protein is some evil poison etc and whatnot is completely and utterly ridiculous as well, because the vaccines don't do anything the virus doesn't already do.

Scared about mRNA in your cell producing spike protein? Guess what genius, the virus does the exact same thing. That's how viruses work.

Only that's not all that it does, the virus doesn't stop there, it makes your cells produce a bunch of other proteins and assemble them into more virus particles which infect other cells and they produce more virus and baby, now you've got an infection going.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

spankmeister posted:

On a related note: All this antivaxxer bullcrap about "gene therapy" and how spike protein is some evil poison etc and whatnot is completely and utterly ridiculous as well, because the vaccines don't do anything the virus doesn't already do.

Naturalistic fallacy. Your cells taking up a bit of mRNA and executing it to produce and display spike proteins so your immune system can recognize them is bad because the mRNA was made in a lab!

But when a virus transcribes its entire RNA into your cells, hijacks them, and forces them to manufacture all kinds of viral RNA and proteins and copies of itself until it explodes and releases millions more viruses to do the same to cell after cell until your lungs are cottage cheese, this is natural and God made it so it can't really hurt you.

Also some of the same people believe covid was made in a lab, not sure how that fits in here, but it's definitely still fine to catch lab-made covid according to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
whoa yeah my Facebook doctor warned me about GMO spike proteins, so I only use non-GMO spike proteins (I.E. dying from a preventable disease lol)