Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cowcaster posted:

sekiro's not a souls game.

Of course it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
between the sale and xmas gifts i got

ctrl alt ego
noita
crash 4
grim dawn
devil spire
cyberpunk
hyperdemon
dome keeper
planet crafter
astro nautilus
dreamwild

so o focourse i have been playing morrowind

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

fit em all up in there posted:

Are the megaman legacy Collection games worth picking up ?

They're all mostly comprised of good games besides X LC2, though the emulation quality and features vary across collections and games.

iirc:

the classic games are all fine. the NES games all have savestates added but I believe the later games just let you freely reload from checkpoints.

the SNES X games have some minor input lag issues, the PS1 ones are fine, and the PS2 games are good remasters but one of them is X7 which duels with X6 for worst game in the subseries. These didn't have any save features added.

the Zero/ZX games are all fine. rather than savestates you can enable extra checkpoints that reload independently of the life system, which is a big help in the first Zero where lives were extremely rare and treated as continues rather than lives.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've decided I'm going to take Blattdorf's advice and at least buy something on my wishlist that's cheap and that's been there for a long time. It has to be under 5$ and on sale or I won't bite today, so my candidates are...

Added in 2017:
Scavenger SV4 - roguelike simulator sci-fi thing

Added in 2018:
Bullet Witch - XBOX 360 third person shooter weirdness

Added in 2020:
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction - title says it all really

My opinions on some of these -

I like Bullet Witch & you get to do some cool things, but it doesn't do much that you can't find in other budget shooters. I've also had issues with the port where it crashes randomly.

Scavenger SV4 is cool, but more of an experience than a game. The only roguelike aspect is randomness in what parts of your ship are messing up, the general flow and events are the same game-to-game with a little bit of ending variation.

Splinter Cell Conviction is a solid game from start to finish and has some cool stylistic flourishes. I think my biggest gripe with it is that it's a little easy, but I had a fun time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kibayasu posted:

Coyotes missions can definitely do that on vanilla missions due to random events like a VTOL swarm or House assassins or pirate mechs (those will at least hopefully shoot at everyone). Some of the events are helpful at least, like a friendly VTOL swarm. I think it at least in part depends on your standing with the House which controls the space you’re in.

Any mission with artillery is a difficulty multiplier though, especially since to kill it you’ll probably have to stomp through a bunch of other poo poo. There’s a few story chain missions with some really hard to deal with artillery.

These new [Mechwarrior 5] missions are awesome. Full scale battles with other AI lances, attack/defend missions with two bases and repair bays, mechs airdropped in mid-mission as backup from allies.. kinda makes the official ones look like poo poo in comparison. The improved AI mod has significantly improved my experience too.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Revisiting NWN a year back it plays awkwardly to me. It's not an action rpg at all, but it also isn't an interesting tactical game either. I guess it plays kinda like a sluggish MMO with few abilities. Despite this I did enjoy playing the expansions when they were released back in the day (the original campaign is infamously terrible) so maybe I just needed to get in the grove of it.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
this year i hope that least one of the early access games i bought when i wanted to spend money comes out in 1.0

sid meier's skyships
minimalist morrowind
fleshpunk fallout
czechoslovakian quake
gamer brain fuel tank filler
the one i got in a bundle, which doesn't seem promising

i'm choosing to believe that all of them will :getin:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I just played the first handful of levels of Prodeus on Xbox Live and I am so impressed I want to buy it on Steam so I can keep it for good. It's on sale for $20. It's one of those retro-modern pixeled-looking boomer shooter love letters to Doom and the first handful of weapons you get are just insanely fun. They absolutely nailed the feel of combat and movement. You ice skate around at 30 mph splattering the blood of your enemies all over the place with lots and lots of bullets. The levels are also interesting and feel like a lot of care was put into designing them.

Does the game decline in quality after the first few levels? Is there any reason not to buy it if you think the first handful of levels are fantastic?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 5, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

GreatGreen posted:

So I just played the first handful of levels of Prodeus on Xbox Live and I am so impressed I want to buy it on Steam so I can keep it for good. It's on sale for $20. It's one of those retro-modern pixeled-looking boomer shooter love letters to Doom and the first handful of weapons you get are just insanely fun. They absolutely nailed the feel of combat and movement. You ice skate around at 30 mph splattering the blood of your enemies all over the place with lots and lots of bullets. The levels are also interesting and feel like a lot of care was put into designing them.

Does the game decline in quality after the first few levels? Is there any reason not to buy it if you think the first handful of levels are fantastic?

Coincidentally it was just recently discussed in the retro FPS thread, but to answer your question: I feel the levels get tougher and more ambitious as the game progresses (which was a good thing for me, because I felt like I was sleepwalking through the first 7 or 8 maps) but the current campaign largely sticks to a particular tileset that can result in a lot of the levels blurring together and feeling somewhat homogenous.

Overall, I found it to be a perfectly fine retro FPS, but I think I had way more fun with stuff like Cultic, DUSK, and probably AMID EVIL. Prodeus just had too many weird design decisions that kept it from landing in that top tier for me, but I wouldn't shy away from recommending it to people who are fans of the genre.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

explosivo posted:

These new [Mechwarrior 5] missions are awesome. Full scale battles with other AI lances, attack/defend missions with two bases and repair bays, mechs airdropped in mid-mission as backup from allies.. kinda makes the official ones look like poo poo in comparison. The improved AI mod has significantly improved my experience too.

Yeah the stuff Coyote was able to do is really impressive. The End Game versions of the missions you can eventually do are pretty crazy, if occasionally a little broken just due to the sheer amount of shooting going on. If you add in the YAML and/or Clan Invasion mech mods you get a ton more variety in enemies too (eventually, they can be time locked).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Looking for a last minute recommendation, if there's anything on sale. I'd like a game with great traversal. I'm thinking Gravity Rush, Just Cause 2, Spider Man, and to a lesser extent Saints Row 4. With GR/2 and JC2 I'd spend hours just roaming the world.

I'll give ME Catalyst another go since it's just $2, but that's not as laid back as what I'm asking for.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Coincidentally it was just recently discussed in the retro FPS thread, but to answer your question: I feel the levels get tougher and more ambitious as the game progresses (which was a good thing for me, because I felt like I was sleepwalking through the first 7 or 8 maps) but the current campaign largely sticks to a particular tileset that can result in a lot of the levels blurring together and feeling somewhat homogenous.

Overall, I found it to be a perfectly fine retro FPS, but I think I had way more fun with stuff like Cultic, DUSK, and probably AMID EVIL. Prodeus just had too many weird design decisions that kept it from landing in that top tier for me, but I wouldn't shy away from recommending it to people who are fans of the genre.

Thanks!

All that sounds good to me, think I'll give it a whirl.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Foul Fowl posted:

this year i hope that least one of the early access games i bought when i wanted to spend money comes out in 1.0

sid meier's skyships
minimalist morrowind
fleshpunk fallout
czechoslovakian quake
gamer brain fuel tank filler
the one i got in a bundle, which doesn't seem promising

i'm choosing to believe that all of them will :getin:
i think HROT and Wrath will. it took wrath a long time because of the pandemic but they are working pretty consistently on it now, and HROT already has a couple of e3 maps i think

dread delusion i'm not sure because if it's going for elder scrolls the dev might take some time to put a lot of content in

i expect Dread Templar, Viscerafest, and Blood West to hit 1.0 this year. My Time at Sandrock, Satisfactory and Slime Rancher 2 are possibly edge cases, and then Lunacid 1.0 I expect in 2024.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
a bit late but I'll second the rec for prodeus. I think it's a rung below dusk/amid evil but it looks great and feels great to play. most of my quibbles are minor: I think the unlock system isn't really additive, sometimes the encounter design gets a bit repetitive, and there's sometimes a small readability issue with enemies. it's hard to do better though, especially if you've played a lot of the bigger retro fps games.

I was gifted forgive me father a while ago but hadn't gotten around to it until last night. it's definitely neat and makes a great first impression, but the shooting doesn't quite land for me. I want to up the difficulty and get deeper into the skill tree before I make any big judgements however.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 5, 2023

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

The 7th Guest posted:

i think HROT and Wrath will. it took wrath a long time because of the pandemic but they are working pretty consistently on it now, and HROT already has a couple of e3 maps i think

dread delusion i'm not sure because if it's going for elder scrolls the dev might take some time to put a lot of content in

i expect Dread Templar, Viscerafest, and Blood West to hit 1.0 this year. My Time at Sandrock, Satisfactory and Slime Rancher 2 are possibly edge cases, and then Lunacid 1.0 I expect in 2024.

i hope so, i think it's gonna be a really good year for indies. playing the demos for death trash and dread delusion shot my hype sky high. the first levels of hrot and ultrakill are just incredible.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I came away from this sale with Elden Ring, and before the sale has even ended I'm starting to remember why I bounced off the game pretty hard at release.

Not quitting on it yet but.. I think that's where I'm heading.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bumhead posted:

I came away from this sale with Elden Ring, and before the sale has even ended I'm starting to remember why I bounced off the game pretty hard at release.

Not quitting on it yet but.. I think that's where I'm heading.

Are you leveling health and using summons?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

try getting worse

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

sebmojo posted:

Are you leveling health and using summons?

Yeah. I should probably have qualified what I meant rather than just drop in a Facebook-rear end vague status about it.

I love the Souls games generally and have finished Dark Souls, Demons Souls and Bloodborne. They're pretty much 3 of my favourite games of all time. I think Sekiro is brilliant too despite the fact I never finished it, and that it's essentially designed around all the aspects of Souls combat I'm not good at. I still regard Sekiro a top tier game.

I keep losing momentum with Elden Ring for reasons I can't quite establish. Contrary to any issues around difficulty, I'm finding most encounters in the open world a bit trivial, and feel like I'm not getting as much out of the sense of exploration as I should be. The issue I faced back at launch was that I really enjoyed my time in Limgrave, really enjoyed Stormveil Castle, and then started to tire of the open world once I hit the Lakes. Following the same pattern again. I'm finding a temptation to just bolt up onto Torrent and make a rapid beeline through the Lakes, rather than carefully navigate my way through, which is always the point where any open world starts to lose me.

Maybe I just need to take a break, but there's an equal possibility Elden Ring just isn't my jam.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Bumhead posted:

Yeah. I should probably have qualified what I meant rather than just drop in a Facebook-rear end vague status about it.

I love the Souls games generally and have finished Dark Souls, Demons Souls and Bloodborne. They're pretty much 3 of my favourite games of all time. I think Sekiro is brilliant too despite the fact I never finished it, and that it's essentially designed around all the aspects of Souls combat I'm not good at. I still regard Sekiro a top tier game.

I keep losing momentum with Elden Ring for reasons I can't quite establish. Contrary to any issues around difficulty, I'm finding most encounters in the open world a bit trivial, and feel like I'm not getting as much out of the sense of exploration as I should be. The issue I faced back at launch was that I really enjoyed my time in Limgrave, really enjoyed Stormveil Castle, and then started to tire of the open world once I hit the Lakes. Following the same pattern again. I'm finding a temptation to just bolt up onto Torrent and make a rapid beeline through the Lakes, rather than carefully navigate my way through, which is always the point where any open world starts to lose me.

Maybe I just need to take a break, but there's an equal possibility Elden Ring just isn't my jam.
I can see that, and it's definitely a game that demands a lot of your time. Liurnia of the Lakes is a weird zone and belting through it on your horse isn't going to hurt you in the long run - I've played through the game 4 or so times and never really explored it either. Just keep heading north and looking at anything that you find interesting and you'll progress regardless of your pace, I honestly think that area is intended to be played that way.

edit; I mean there is stuff to do there, but outside of the main quest it's 90% sniper lobsters and 10% weird sidequests and caves, you're fine moving on and coming back to get sniped later.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 5, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's also totally fine if the general shape of the game isn't for you, even if it's objectively a great game. Everyone loves Teardown but it just is not for me at all and that's no big deal.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

HopperUK posted:

It's also totally fine if the general shape of the game isn't for you, even if it's objectively a great game.

Oh yeah, 100%.

The worst case scenario is that I walk away with nothing bad to say about it other than that it isn't for me, which is exactly where Sekiro sits in my mind.

I'm clinging on for now though as I'm struggling to admit defeat with it - again, a reflection of how good I know the game is.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Kibayasu posted:

Coyotes missions can definitely do that on vanilla missions due to random events like a VTOL swarm or House assassins or pirate mechs (those will at least hopefully shoot at everyone). Some of the events are helpful at least, like a friendly VTOL swarm. I think it at least in part depends on your standing with the House which controls the space you’re in.

Any mission with artillery is a difficulty multiplier though, especially since to kill it you’ll probably have to stomp through a bunch of other poo poo. There’s a few story chain missions with some really hard to deal with artillery.

Last time I played MW5 Artillery missions felt really bad since they force you to walk to all the corners of the map to destroy them or spend the entire mission dancing around damage indicators on the ground, neither of which is fun. Made me wish you could call in airstrikes using the map instead of having to paint the mark yourself. Probably better off just installing the mod that removes artillery entirely for the sake of fun.

I never tried Coyotes missions, sounds awesome.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Any recommendations for good turn based tactics/wargames/empire builders? Not looking for stuff like Civ, Fire Emblem, HoMM clones, or full srpgs like FFT, more like pure combat games that might feature empire building as a means of churning out more cool units (Warlock 2 comes to mind). Definitely more interested in fantasy/scifi stuff with cool abilities/meta systems/etc. Or even weirdly orthogonal games like Alina of the Arena which is a hex combat deckbuilder.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

victrix posted:

Any recommendations for good turn based tactics/wargames/empire builders? Not looking for stuff like Civ, Fire Emblem, HoMM clones, or full srpgs like FFT, more like pure combat games that might feature empire building as a means of churning out more cool units (Warlock 2 comes to mind). Definitely more interested in fantasy/scifi stuff with cool abilities/meta systems/etc. Or even weirdly orthogonal games like Alina of the Arena which is a hex combat deckbuilder.

Have you played Othercide? I wrote it up in the hidden gems thread.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you played Othercide? I wrote it up in the hidden gems thread.

I have yeah, looking for some stuff off the beaten path I might not know about before the sale ends

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Diephoon posted:

I never tried Coyotes missions, sounds awesome.

They really are, I played a bunch last night and it makes the battles feel like real battles and not just you stomping through a map completing objectives. The one I did was a defense on a huge open ice field, there was another friendly AI lance already down and two more backup mechs got airlifted in from my allies, and about 20? Light to Medium enemy mechs running around going nuts. It was a lot of fun sitting back and sniping and telling my lance to go get some kills. The base even had a repair bay you could go use to repair light damage mid mission. It was great.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

victrix posted:

I have yeah, looking for some stuff off the beaten path I might not know about before the sale ends

I had a good time with Chaos Sector, kind of an indie SRW-like with a pinch of 4X mechanics added in. I haven't played either of the sequels that look like they get into the empire-building aspect more.

Went a little overboard this sale, but that's fine cause I held back last time around & buying things is one way to clear out my wishlist.

Crash Bandicoot 4
Reassembly
SRW 30 Expansion Pack
TOMOMI
Depths of Sanity
Haiku the Robot
Islets
Cloudpunk
Fabled Lands
The Eternal Cylinder
Titanium Hound
Volgarr the Viking
White Lavendar
Frog Detective 3: Corruption at Cowboy County
Thea 2
Tomb Raider

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

beats for junkies posted:

This is from like 5 pages back, and kicked off a whole thing that I'm not trying to restart, but to the poster who was annoyed with Sekiro, partially because Dragonrot feels too punishing (I'm ignoring the rest of what they said and what happened afterwards in the name of peace):

How dare you, you should be buying and playing Lunacid.

Dragonrot really isn't a big deal. It seems like it at first, but it's not. It basically won't matter at all once you get further along in the game, because the item to cure it becomes cheap and plentiful (though not unlimited), and one dose cures every single afflicted person in the entire world at the same time. It also doesn't actually make you weaker or punish you in any way, it just pauses side quests involving an NPC while that NPC has it. The game does a great job of making it feel like you're a terrible world-ruiner for dying a few times, but it's all smoke and mirrors (or more likely, the remains of a more punishing system that actually would have had an impact).

Well, that's nice to hear, since it was my chief complaint about the game. Thank goodness we blew five pages of discussion with the git gud meme.

If you've already given up on the game, that's fine, too. Not every game is for every person.

Personally, it took a while for Sekiro to click for me, and it wasn't until the Lady Butterfly fight that I got it. It was like a "seeing the matrix code" moment, and I was suddenly able to parry and counterattack much more effectively. I can't say "perfectly" because it still took me a few more tries to actually beat her, but that was where the game turned around for me. Plus, Lady Butterfly has the best music.

I've only played it for a few hours, I just died twice on the blazing bull and got my second notification that the world was objectively becoming worse because I was dying. I literally don't mind dying or getting stuck in a game and getting told I was mechanically loving up is bad and will gently caress my entire save by the game is not the same as "you can undo this ezpz later, just go ahead and keep dying and overcoming poo poo." I'll probably go back to it eventually knowing that, I just literally thought Dragonrot was the biggest deal.

Thanks!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
lmfao

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Is Crash Bandicoot 4 good? What's its main hook? I've never played any of the Crash Bandicoot games but I'm a fan of platformers like Mario and Rayman, which seem to look similar.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 5, 2023

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

GreatGreen posted:

Is Crash Bandicoot 4 good? What's its main hook? I've never played any of the Crash Bandicoot games but I'm a fan of platformers like Mario and Rayman, which seem to look similar.

I've seen a lot of praise for it and I'm a huge fan of the series so I'll let you know in like a week lol, if you like Mario and Rayman then you should have a good time with it

but seriously, it can't be worse than Wrath of Cortex

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I haven't dug into it that much yet, but the first two levels were really solid, it looks surprisingly nice, and plays well. Supposedly it is an rear end in a top hat of a game to try and 100% complete though, I've heard the time trials are punishing.

Also the last Crash game I played I think was Crash 2 so ymmv.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GreatGreen posted:

the consensus is that it's good but the main problem is that it is an absolutely nightmarish game to 100%

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I bought it but haven't played it, it seems like as long as you don't try and 100% every level it's a great game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in fairness the "100% sucks" thing is a legitimate problem because a lot of people really did enjoy 100%-ing the classic Crash games and there's the question of what you do once you've beaten the campaign once

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Thanks folks! I think I might skip Crash Bandicoot 4 then.

I hardly ever try and 100% games... unless they're platformers, lol. Unlike open world games, RTS, or even linear shooters, I feel like a true platformers more than just about anything can and should be be such tightly designed experiences that 100%'ing them should be a given. Basically there should be minimal tolerance for bullshit.

For context, I 100%'d the Spyro games and some of the timing requirements for the races just about made me put the game down. Not messing with stuff like that again if I can help it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 5, 2023

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
platformers live and die by the sicko poo poo

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Looper posted:

platformers live and die by the sicko poo poo

I mean, there's sicko poo poo and then there's sicko poo poo, ya know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
whats the best platformer? (on pc) I really liked the Rayman games but I haven't played anything new from the past decade or so