Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Windows itself will also happily display it for you :v:

You can even sort a folder by most of those attributes too!

As for a replacement battery, unless you plan on shooting a lot I might actually say you can skip that. The X-T3 and up all feature USB-C in-camera charging, so you can just bring along a power bank and use that whenever you like stop for lunch or something. The X-T4 also has a much larger battery than the prior X cameras, so it'll definitely last you all day as long as you're diligent about keeping it off when you're not actually shooting something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cheers, going to get a Wasabi and whatever of the mentioned SD cards is on discounts locally, since all major photo camera retailers are selling these brands here.

mobby_6kl posted:

Hey cinci, I'm not a Fuji guy so don't on the specifics of the bodies and lenses there. But just wanted comment on the used market, if you're open to the idea. I'm in a pretty similar boat there, but there are still used market options if you search around. Also ebay from Germany/France often has decent options. Due to our weird markets some stuff is way overpriced and I was able to get my M50 for about half of the retail price at the time.

As for EXIF, you could certainly make it a project but Lightroom can do it for you too :)

MPB that Mega Comrade mentioned earlier has an EU location, and that seems to be a really popular options, so I'll just go with that. I didn't like the used idea from person-to-person without seeing the item in person myself, and the local selection is not that great, but an MPB-style arrangement where they have their own crew acting as a guarantor that the thing I'm buying exists and functions is more than fine by me.

Right, I should've mentioned that I'd like to avoid using Adobe software for as long as I can help it, on which note...

ishikabibble posted:

Windows itself will also happily display it for you :v:

You can even sort a folder by most of those attributes too!
This works! :cheers:

ishikabibble posted:

As for a replacement battery, unless you plan on shooting a lot I might actually say you can skip that. The X-T3 and up all feature USB-C in-camera charging, so you can just bring along a power bank and use that whenever you like stop for lunch or something. The X-T4 also has a much larger battery than the prior X cameras, so it'll definitely last you all day as long as you're diligent about keeping it off when you're not actually shooting something.
Since I'm going to be buying a used camera, my thinking is that I probably should just get a fresh battery for it, and avoid guesswork with the health status of the one it'll come with. Just one, since most reviews say that it'll last a day, and if it lasts a day for a pro, it'll most assuredly last any day I could put it up for.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I had a pair of Wasabi Fuji batteries expand on me, to the point where one nearly got stuck inside my camera. Apparently it's not uncommon, so I wouldn't buy one again. I haven't had any issue with the Promaster batteries I bought to replace them.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I had a wasabi Ricoh battery balloon on me

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I had a pair of Wasabi Fuji batteries expand on me, to the point where one nearly got stuck inside my camera. Apparently it's not uncommon, so I wouldn't buy one again. I haven't had any issue with the Promaster batteries I bought to replace them.

I bought probably a dozen or so of a couple of types of Wasabi Canon batteries and have been using them for a couple of years pretty heavily with no issues (a school setting, these things are being used constantly). Some of them aren't holding a charge very well, but no swelling. Have some Powerextra brand that definitely died faster and a couple that have swollen up. I don't know how the Fuji batteries compare price wise, but the off-brands for Canon tend to be about 20% of the price of a name brand. You get what you pay for, but I think you typically come out ahead with the cheap off brand batteries. A good battery charger is definitely worth the price, though. The Wasabi ones and every other off brand I've used are trash.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I have a theory that most of these 3rd party brands are just the same product with different packaging.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thoren posted:

I have a theory that most of these 3rd party brands are just the same product with different packaging.

They usually are. There's an entire ecosystem in China built around vendors contracting the same product, slapping their own logo on it and flooding Amazon with the results.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
My wife uses my old D5100 for her Etsy shop pictures and last month I had to spend about an hour teasing a swollen battery out of it. Was the official Nikon one that came with it too.

Sure its quite an old battery at this point but I was surprised an official battery would fail like that, wasn't even charging at the time as it was in the camera.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Y’all are making me want to ditch my Wasabi batteries I use for backup situations. The price is just so hard to beat when I can get two for 1/5 the price of OEM.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My philosophy was as follows, if you're a professional getting paid for work, buy real batteries. Unless you're getting paid for your work, third party batteries are mostly fine. Stick to the known brands/retailers that will support in case you get a dud.

Wasabi has a reputation of being reliable now. It's been several years and most of their stuff is pretty reliable. Sterlingtek used to make the best aftermarket camera batteries, but I'm not sure if they're still around. Since switching to Sony and shooting weddings, I switched to all sony batteries.

I tend to avoid brands with terrible names like ultra mega super power battery performance 200%!" Or "smile power happy battery".

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
That’s good advice.

I am definitely not a professional lol

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Many, not all, batteries will swell with the end of their life. Having replaced hundreds and hundreds of server room UPS batteries over the years, most of them came out with a crowbar about ready to burst. I'm sure we've seen the photos of old apple laptops and iphones with non-replaceable batteries where the keyboard is all hosed. Brand doesn't seem to be a factor from what I've seen.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Well I can say my Wasabi batteries lasted about a year before swelling, while my Fuji and Promaster batteries have been going strong for several years :shrug:

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Since I'm going to be buying a used camera, my thinking is that I probably should just get a fresh battery for it, and avoid guesswork with the health status of the one it'll come with. Just one, since most reviews say that it'll last a day, and if it lasts a day for a pro, it'll most assuredly last any day I could put it up for.

re: MPB, I've used the EU store several times for both buying and selling and it's always been fine. Gear as advertised. I've usually paid for the faster shipping because I tend to buy things last minute. When selling, money's usually been deposited within two weeks from shipping.

But still very anecdotal, last page had a bunch more experiences.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

A while ago I asked about aurora-related stuff in this thread, and it happened on New Year's Day.

Thanks all for the help.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Philthy posted:

Many, not all, batteries will swell with the end of their life. Having replaced hundreds and hundreds of server room UPS batteries over the years, most of them came out with a crowbar about ready to burst. I'm sure we've seen the photos of old apple laptops and iphones with non-replaceable batteries where the keyboard is all hosed. Brand doesn't seem to be a factor from what I've seen.

is there any place that's good to buy replacement server UPS batteries? I have the classic Cyberpower AVR1500PFCLCD that are known for the sony-syndrome glue that fails and causes them to catch fire, so I've taken them out of service anyway, but I need to replace batteries in a couple of them.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Weird concentric ripples in the lens coating. Have to catch the light just right to see it. Just got this lens a few days ago.

Any idea what causes this? I have another lens (a Ukrainian Helios 81… generally something with a lot less fit, finish and quality assurance than a Mamiya 6 lens) with this same thing. Never noticed any observable effects from it, but what’s the deal with this? Seems to be present on the rear element as well.

Just as a note, I sent this picture to a repair guy and it is first lens group element separation. It’s only visible in certain types of fluorescent light (if I hadn’t brought it to my office I might’ve never noticed it).

I now have my first rolls developed and scanned; so far I can’t see anything in the images that would indicate an issue. If anything I will see it when I start doing long exposure with point light sources, which is kind of what I bought this for…

Separation is apparently a thing with Mamiya 6/7 lenses, but it’s still unusual. Don’t know if the uv curing cement or whatever they used just breaks down over a while or what.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

is there any place that's good to buy replacement server UPS batteries? I have the classic Cyberpower AVR1500PFCLCD that are known for the sony-syndrome glue that fails and causes them to catch fire, so I've taken them out of service anyway, but I need to replace batteries in a couple of them.

Sorry, wouldn't know. The ones I replaced were all under a support contract, so they came from the manufacturer when they started tripping alarms every 3-5 years. Maybe check CDW? They can usually get anything. https://www.cdw.com/search/power/battery-backups/ups-battery-replacements/?w=LA3&ln=0&b=CYP

Philthy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 8, 2023

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Looking for suggestions on replacing my old lighting kit now that I've upgraded camera bodies - I didn't have any complaints with the old kit, but for some reason the 3rd-party strobes don't work right with the Canon R6 Mk II. Old kit is:

2x Neewer NW985C
1x Canon EX 430 II
Assorted umbrellas/stands
Cheapo radio trigger set

The EX 430 II still works properly, but the Neewer strobes are close to un-usable (at best, they fire ~3 stops underexposed, and often times the flash goes off so late that the shutter's already closed). I've run across a few folks saying that something changed with the newer Canon mirrorless systems that makes a lot of 3rd-party strobes not work so well, so if anyone has personal experience using 3rd party flash gear with an R6/R6II/R5 and can confirm that the ETTL actually works, that'd be awesome.

Right now I'm looking at maybe a Godox V1C + AD200 x2, but I'm having a lot of difficulty finding any confirmation that E-TTL actually functions on the R6II with them.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lights posted:

Looking for suggestions on replacing my old lighting kit now that I've upgraded camera bodies - I didn't have any complaints with the old kit, but for some reason the 3rd-party strobes don't work right with the Canon R6 Mk II. Old kit is:

2x Neewer NW985C
1x Canon EX 430 II
Assorted umbrellas/stands
Cheapo radio trigger set

The EX 430 II still works properly, but the Neewer strobes are close to un-usable (at best, they fire ~3 stops underexposed, and often times the flash goes off so late that the shutter's already closed). I've run across a few folks saying that something changed with the newer Canon mirrorless systems that makes a lot of 3rd-party strobes not work so well, so if anyone has personal experience using 3rd party flash gear with an R6/R6II/R5 and can confirm that the ETTL actually works, that'd be awesome.

Right now I'm looking at maybe a Godox V1C + AD200 x2, but I'm having a lot of difficulty finding any confirmation that E-TTL actually functions on the R6II with them.

I've actually got a Canon R5, a Godox Xpro-C, and a couple of AD200's. I'm pretty sure I could answer your question, but I don't actually know how to do it. I've only ever used the manual flash settings on the equipment rather than the E-TTL. I'm also halfway through a pack of Imperial IPA's, which is probably why I'm struggling with some of the guides on this. If you could point me toward something that would instruct me on how to test this, I'll happily experiment and report back tomorrow when I'm sober.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

litany of gulps posted:

I've actually got a Canon R5, a Godox Xpro-C, and a couple of AD200's. I'm pretty sure I could answer your question, but I don't actually know how to do it. I've only ever used the manual flash settings on the equipment rather than the E-TTL. I'm also halfway through a pack of Imperial IPA's, which is probably why I'm struggling with some of the guides on this. If you could point me toward something that would instruct me on how to test this, I'll happily experiment and report back tomorrow when I'm sober.

I believe you just need to have all of the flashes and the trigger in TTL mode and on the same channel - basically just set up the same as if you were using manual settings, but flip all the modes to TTL instead of M. Then just take a picture where your camera's exposure settings would call for the flashes to fire at somewhere around half power or so for a good exposure - if it's blown out, the flashes probably ignored TTL and fired at full power, if it's super underexposed it probably didn't get metering info to set the power properly, and if it exposes properly, then I'm going to be spending a bunch of money soon. Thanks so much!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lights posted:

I believe you just need to have all of the flashes and the trigger in TTL mode and on the same channel - basically just set up the same as if you were using manual settings, but flip all the modes to TTL instead of M. Then just take a picture where your camera's exposure settings would call for the flashes to fire at somewhere around half power or so for a good exposure - if it's blown out, the flashes probably ignored TTL and fired at full power, if it's super underexposed it probably didn't get metering info to set the power properly, and if it exposes properly, then I'm going to be spending a bunch of money soon. Thanks so much!

OK, I messed around a little bit with it today. As far as I can tell, it works exactly as it should. Exposure was coming out fine when set to TTL. Those AD200's are quite powerful, and typically when using them in the room that I tested them in, the power would have to be set to very low settings to not overexpose the pictures. That's a nice feature that I was completely unaware existed, previously I'd always have to do a few test shots to dial in the right power settings.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

litany of gulps posted:

OK, I messed around a little bit with it today. As far as I can tell, it works exactly as it should. Exposure was coming out fine when set to TTL. Those AD200's are quite powerful, and typically when using them in the room that I tested them in, the power would have to be set to very low settings to not overexpose the pictures. That's a nice feature that I was completely unaware existed, previously I'd always have to do a few test shots to dial in the right power settings.

That's awesome, thank you! Guess I'm about to be spending some cash.

Also, since I was watching a bunch of videos on it, I found something you might not be aware of with the trigger if you've never used TTL. The XPro has a button near the bottom-right labelled "TCM". If you press and hold that for a second or two after taking a TTL shot, it will convert all the linked flashes to Manual, at exactly the power that the TTL had calculated for your last shot, so you can use TTL to get into the general range that the camera thinks you need, then fine tune things in manual.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

My X-T4 arrived on Monday, and SD cards for it just 30 minutes ago. Plugging everything in, things seemingly look and work just fine. Fuji battery menu says that the camera age is 0, whereas shutter count in EXIF was 6543 before I took my first shot. In other words, the body itself seems to have been barely used. All said and done, I've paid EUR 1179 for the body and 514 for the lens, when local retail would've put it at 1604 and 803 respectively. Since my body came with all stock accessories, I don't think I even need anything except the SD cards, camera bag attachment for my backpack, and a lens cleaning kit. Thanks again, everyone!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Help me understand my flash a little better? I want to improve my event photography. I've been cutting my teeth on some friends' parties and while I think my work is pretty good, some things about the camera/flash relationship are unclear and I feel like they're holding me back from truly great shots.

I shoot on a Nikon Z6 with a Godox V860ii + diffuser. Most of the shots in the above albums were taken with a 20mm prime, usually set at around f/2.5. I almost always have the flash set to Manual and its power usually sits around 1/64 +0.7. As you can tell, I'm using Rear Curtain Sync for most of these shots, with shutter speed as low as 1/13 for that real light-trail effect for the DJs, but usually somewhere north of 1/20 for crowd shots. I worry that they are a bit blown out; in editing, to almost every crowd shot I have to apply a great deal of reduction to Whites and Highlights before dialing in the photo to taste.

Another photographer told me once about shooting with the flash set to as low a setting as possible, to avoid blowing out highlights and "bring out the colour" by upping the ISO. Does this technique, specifically that lingo about "bringing out the colour," sound familiar? I like the appeal to it (especially as I am anxious about blinding people with it, though this becomes less a worry the more I shoot). I think I get what that means and maybe I'm just overestimating but I worry about creeping up into middle-high ISOs like north of 3200 - do I just need to get with the times and accept that my camera probably isn't as noisy as I think it is?

What about TTL mode? Is this useful at all, or does it relinquish too much control to really compare to Manual? Am I correct in assuming that it automatically adjusts the flash power relative to your camera's settings? Obviously I'm comfortable shooting in Manual on the camera and scrubbing through the three settings, but one fewer jogwheel to worry about would be nice, if it's worth it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Is there a recommended good cheap point-and-shoot for ~$100 now that Sony has nuked the w800 / w830? Doing some international travel where I don't want to be attached to the phone and I'd like something that can slide into a pocket.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Hey, I'm kind of giving up on saving up to get into the camera system I want, because it's hard

What do you all think about moving from a 20D to a 70D for 450 dollars. You get the phase focus and enough megapixels I can crop a photo during editing. Sorry, it's a similar question to what I normally ask. It's just painful to spend 1/3 or 1/4 of the investment to get to a new system, but I will feel more comfortable shooting in the meantime while saving.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

$450? You can get like new 70Ds for less than $350 on the preowned market. For $450 you could probably get an 80D.

And yes coming from an 20D that's a big jump in quality.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I got a bum used 70D, and returned it. I spent a little more and got a used 7d2 instead and it is p awesome. It's my backup now, but it's still great.

Edit: I think prices have gone up. Eh.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
380 but I have taxes and shipping. Everything is also more expensive in Canada.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Hi all, this may skew close to Cinci’s request, but my wife is looking to elevate her photography above just her phone, and is basically a beginner (she took a high school photography class and takes a ton of pictures, but never owned much more than a point and shoot). Only thing she’s really been exposed to are big Nikon DSLRs from 10 years ago that some family members have. She has been looking into mirrorless but just learned about that recently.

Primary use would be pictures of kids and family, portraits and kind of action shots (e.g at the beach, playing soccer, posed outside) or landscapes, that could be printed out and displayed at home, or just in general are better than an iPhone.

She expects a lens or two but probably wouldn’t go beyond that, or would at least play around to learn more and see what she needs since she is considering picking it up as a hobby. More portability is nice given the uses cases. Budget is probably less than $2k, used is a possibility.

Are the Fujifilm recommendations still in play here? Also what are the main differentiators (if any) to be aware of between manufacturers?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Get her canon PowerShot G-something - G16, maybe something newer G5X ii?

Sure it's a fixed lens, but it's a zoom.
They're small, quick, have great image quality, and very importantly cheaper than something like the Fuji. Those are bigger and she'll be less likely to bring it along.

It's great for a beginner tbh, for the price.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 5, 2023

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Oh drat the g16 is 10 years old now. Still, great camera for the current price.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Crazyweasel posted:

She has been looking into mirrorless but just learned about that recently.

Primary use would be pictures of kids and family, portraits and kind of action shots (e.g at the beach, playing soccer, posed outside) or landscapes, that could be printed out and displayed at home, or just in general are better than an iPhone.

She expects a lens or two but probably wouldn’t go beyond that, or would at least play around to learn more and see what she needs since she is considering picking it up as a hobby. More portability is nice given the uses cases. Budget is probably less than $2k, used is a possibility.

If I were in her position, I'd probably pick up a brand new Canon R10 and an RF 50mm lens. Should be like 1200 bucks. A bit more I guess with tax and a decent SD card. Play around with it, then use the excess money in the budget to buy a zoom lens. I'd probably just get an adaptor and a Canon EF F/4 70-200mm lens for the sports stuff, with the 50mm being fine for everything else. But I only really know the Canon ecosystem, there might be comparable or better deals on similar quality cameras for other brands.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Do you have a local camera shop? I would stop in and handle half a dozen bodies and talk to someone in person. IMO it will help her find something she wants to use vs a kit recommend by online strangers.

If not, I second a full-frame body and a 50mm. One option- Nikon Z5 has been a great deal, but could be “old” here in the coming months as new stuff is announced for 2023.

Brrrmph fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 5, 2023

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Crazyweasel posted:

Hi all, this may skew close to Cinci’s request, but my wife is looking to elevate her photography above just her phone, and is basically a beginner (she took a high school photography class and takes a ton of pictures, but never owned much more than a point and shoot). Only thing she’s really been exposed to are big Nikon DSLRs from 10 years ago that some family members have. She has been looking into mirrorless but just learned about that recently.

Are the Fujifilm recommendations still in play here? Also what are the main differentiators (if any) to be aware of between manufacturers?

Fuji XT4 used, the 18-55 kit lens to start, and that's under $1500. Very intuitive to use, good image quality, small enough (not pocketable) that a small carry case is going to suffice.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crazyweasel posted:

The biggest difference in handling is that Fuji has older film-body style controls for kindof a vintage feel and a different way of interacting with the camera's settings. Some people really like, I don't myself, but you can also for the most part use them like a modern camera too. I second whoever said to try handling some in a shop if she can to get a sense for what feels good to use.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I do think if your learning though, having all those settings be physical dials and buttons as you do on a fuji XT is very helpful.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Yeah I never fully grasped what I was doing with my old Nikon DSLR when I was in college, but when I picked the hobby back up with a Fuji a few years ago learning how to get a photo to look just the way I wanted was so much easier because there's no obfuscation whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
The other point in favor of Fuji is the JPEG’s from the camera. Lots of flexibility in how they get generated. I’ve got two small kids and limited time to spend editing. I spent a bunch of time recently working on some Fuji JPEG recipes that work well for the lighting in my house.

Massively improved my frustration levels because I didn’t have to bust out a laptop every time I wanted to do something with the images.

If she wants to do editing, ignore everything I just said.

Note: this isn’t to say JPEGs from other cameras are trash. Fuji is just known to have nice color rendition, especially for skin tones, out of the camera.