Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Payton went 8-1 when Brees was injured across 2019 and 2020 starting Taysom Hill and Jameis Winston. Then went 4-2 to start the next year before Winston and Hill went down and they had to start a Trevor Siemian. He’s a good coach even without Drew Brees and it was definitely a mutually beneficial relationship.

I always thought he was a great coach but last season convinced me he’s nearing Andy Reid levels of offensive wizard. It’s still inexplicable to me how well he had them doing in spite of their roster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Man, I really set off a firestorm.

I'm torn. If I squint I can see the improvement from last season. We have more wins and undeniably more talent. But those wins feel hollow, and a (potentially) six game losing streak to end the season is a huge red flag. It would bad enough if all those losses were like the Vikings game where we played well, but couldn't punch it in. But we've been non competitive the last few weeks, and losing to a third string QB this week would be pretty horrific. Before the season I had some pretty lofty expectations because it shouldn't take years to find success in the NFL, if you're the right guy it becomes clear pretty quickly. On paper the Jets met those standards, they were playoff contention into December, and we learned what we have in Wilson. But I also said that we can't look absolutely lost in games and/or get blown out. Unfortunately we couldn't avoid that, and that's a big problem.

I guess I would stick with Saleh, but I don't feel good about it.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

the dolphins are going to win the super bowl

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

SpitztheGreat posted:

Man, I really set off a firestorm.

I'm torn. If I squint I can see the improvement from last season. We have more wins and undeniably more talent. But those wins feel hollow, and a (potentially) six game losing streak to end the season is a huge red flag. It would bad enough if all those losses were like the Vikings game where we played well, but couldn't punch it in. But we've been non competitive the last few weeks, and losing to a third string QB this week would be pretty horrific. Before the season I had some pretty lofty expectations because it shouldn't take years to find success in the NFL, if you're the right guy it becomes clear pretty quickly. On paper the Jets met those standards, they were playoff contention into December, and we learned what we have in Wilson. But I also said that we can't look absolutely lost in games and/or get blown out. Unfortunately we couldn't avoid that, and that's a big problem.

I guess I would stick with Saleh, but I don't feel good about it.

You don't even have a replacement level QB.

Even with a decent offensive coach you can't succeed in those conditions. See: Dolphins.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I always thought he was a great coach but last season convinced me he’s nearing Andy Reid levels of offensive wizard. It’s still inexplicable to me how well he had them doing in spite of their roster
Payton is a wizard. Brees is HoF no doubt but the system put up 5000 yards and 40 TDs annually and he didn't even sniff an MVP. I think the clearest indicator who the league thinks was responsible.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Garbage time stats I've been told.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Diva Cupcake posted:

Payton is a wizard. Brees is HoF no doubt but the system put up 5000 yards and 40 TDs annually and he didn't even sniff an MVP. I think the clearest indicator who the league thinks was responsible.

It also doesn't help he played at the same time as Brady

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Or the quarterbacks that usually won MVPs.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Whoopsie daisy

https://twitter.com/connor_j_hughes/status/1611030387534499845?s=46&t=eu-EgwgNc9n-oim9lNwyHQ

Also it sounds like he’s a goner?

https://twitter.com/briancoz/status/1611039032082944001?s=46&t=eu-EgwgNc9n-oim9lNwyHQ

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I think it's just standard to ask low performing coordinators about being fired at this point:

https://twitter.com/flasportsbuzz/status/1611035182022418432?s=20&t=8Xz_DJNhsaprJA9m0Bvl7Q

https://twitter.com/DanielOyefusi/status/1611035999508873216?s=20&t=8Xz_DJNhsaprJA9m0Bvl7Q

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Injuries are not an excuse for being unable to generate a pass rush despite the highest blitz % in the league.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

The Jets might need to fire their own Boyer tbh. Their special teams have fallen off a loving cliff this year. But I assume he'll be on for another year since he did such a good job before this season.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Saleh made it VERY clear he doesn't want to fire LaFleur.

Also, Re: Wilson sitting, even if they had planned to start him right away they should've seen when he got in the building that he wasn't ready and changed course (which meant getting a legitimate starting QB) but they just went full steam ahead because it's embarrassing to sit such an early pick.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 5, 2023

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

…an eighth team you say??

https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/status/1611057795461222402?s=46&t=eu-EgwgNc9n-oim9lNwyHQ

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Do you even want the Jets in the playoffs at this point at 8-9? lol

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Do you even want the Jets in the playoffs at this point at 8-9? lol

I mean, yes? But it would also just be objectively hilarious.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Wait is the win and in back on?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I almost want the Jets to having something on the line as it's more likely they'll gently caress it up

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

tarbrush posted:

I almost want the Jets to having something on the line as it's more likely they'll gently caress it up

The Jets getting eliminated from playoff contention twice in two weeks is what we deserve

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

The Jets getting eliminated from playoff contention twice in two weeks is what we deserve

We don't deserve anything associated with being a jets fan.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Just rule the game a tie and proceed how drat hard is it

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Looks like a Flacco Streveler game!
https://twitter.com/Marcus_Mosher/status/1611106349290606598

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 5, 2023

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

it's like we're getting a preseason superbowl

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
God I want a pats Jets style clownbowl

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The bills should kick the everliving poo poo out the pats this weekend as a tribute to Hamlin.

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

The bills should kick the everliving poo poo out the pats this weekend as a tribute to Hamlin.

This is now what I'm expecting.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It'll happen either this sunday or the sunday after.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I guess they are gonna start Flacco? lol

He's gonna play great and they are gonna win. Bank it.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

mcmagic posted:

I guess they are gonna start Flacco? lol

He's gonna play great and they are gonna win. Bank it.
Just LOL if they play Zach Wilson ever again.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I guess if Wilson and Saleh like Flacco, they let him start and maybe if he has a good game someone gives him a job next season? Otherwise he's definitely done with the Jets.

If Streveler wasn't 27 already, I'd say it wouldn't hurt to let him go out there and if he shows something he's not a bad practice squad player. But at 28 next year that seems like a waste of a roster spot. Plus we've already seen he doesn't have NFL level arm strength.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/flasportsbuzz/status/1611102092843798540?s=46&t=KC6DocMQUCOxxMPIkQyDMg

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

mcmagic posted:

I cannot fib, I am sort of looking forward to Sunday now that Hamlin seems okay-ish and the Bills seem reasonably back in it.

I don't want seasonal football much these days outside of that new Twitch stream for curiosity, but please god let Josh Allen and company make Belichick cry bitter, mediocre-man tears.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

RIP 8 Seed - January 5, 2023 - January 5, 2023

https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1611187420640284672?s=46&t=piTMkMGixxCT-oc04xt1Gw

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 6, 2023

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So Belichick was basically a real life human being in his presser today. I was legitimately inspired.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

I've read gossip it was a contract play which I must admit, well played. But why restructure your deal just to quasi-hold out afterwards?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

TheBizzness posted:

I've read gossip it was a contract play which I must admit, well played. But why restructure your deal just to quasi-hold out afterwards?

What did they say his issue was? It looks pretty good on the face of it, and it's not like he clearly overperformed it or anything like that- he's been "pretty good" at best.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So Belichick was basically a real life human being in his presser today. I was legitimately inspired.

Was he talking about Hamlin or 1960s punters?

Nov 6, 2002

MILFs and GMILFs.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Hamhandler posted:

What did they say his issue was? It looks pretty good on the face of it, and it's not like he clearly overperformed it or anything like that- he's been "pretty good" at best.

This is where I originally read it and everything else has been Twitter idiots gossiping but I think the gist of it, is that the deal no longer contains any guaranteed money:

https://phinphanatic.com/2022/11/12/miami-dolphins-need-byron-jones-back-but-it-may-not-be-their-decision/amp/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Yeah probably gonna skip this one.
https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1611380433383456769