Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

crispix posted:

Eastenders was relatively cheery this new year: Phil just ran the one bloke out of town by midnight and a whole houseful of people got carbon monoxide poisoning and the 12 year old girl, unconscious and on the old soap oxygen mask and heart monitor, was revealed to be pregnant

Anyone been following Coronation Street, I don't watch it but of course catching the odd episode when around the family for holidays, there's an alt-right racist movement growing on the street. Personally I think its kind of cool for such a mainstream show to focus on this and come down firm on the side of "people who say woke, cancel culture blah blah blah are racists and 100% wrong." I can imagine some of their own fanbase is into that kind of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Yeah, I've seen the storyline flush out a few "keep politics out of Corrie" fuckers, which probably means it's having some effect.

It's a bit tame because it's Corrie and goes out at 8pm, so it doesn't really have the bite it could. It's difficult to take these menacing guys too seriously when they strongest language they use is things like "woke" or "snowflake" but the main racist guy is a good villain. Some big stuff happened last night, so it will probably come to a head over the next few episodes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
My friend helped write some of this arc, very proud of her.

Edit: she thinks Hollyoaks did it better though, lmao

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 4, 2023

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, I've seen the storyline flush out a few "keep politics out of Corrie" fuckers, which probably means it's having some effect.

It's a bit tame because it's Corrie and goes out at 8pm, so it doesn't really have the bite it could. It's difficult to take these menacing guys too seriously when they strongest language they use is things like "woke" or "snowflake" but the main racist guy is a good villain. Some big stuff happened last night, so it will probably come to a head over the next few episodes.

Ok I kinda want to see this, some snarling racist character who's lexicon is limited to twee broadcast-friendly words sounds like a trip

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Squibsy posted:

Ok I kinda want to see this, some snarling racist character who's lexicon is limited to twee broadcast-friendly words sounds like a trip

That's exactly it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ZqptZmxV4

For anyone who watched it in the 90s, don't worry, Spider hasn't gone bad, he's (somehow) an undercover copper now!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mickolution posted:

That's exactly it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ZqptZmxV4

For anyone who watched it in the 90s, don't worry, Spider hasn't gone bad, he's (somehow) an undercover copper now!

I mean sounds like he's gone bad to me?

The main thing with Spider in my head is that he's in Kingdom of Heaven. He's got quite a big part...that got totally cut out. Poor guy

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Taear posted:

I mean sounds like he's gone bad to me?

Fair point.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Annabel Pee posted:

Anyone been following Coronation Street, I don't watch it but of course catching the odd episode when around the family for holidays, there's an alt-right racist movement growing on the street. Personally I think its kind of cool for such a mainstream show to focus on this and come down firm on the side of "people who say woke, cancel culture blah blah blah are racists and 100% wrong." I can imagine some of their own fanbase is into that kind of stuff.

Yeah I've had it on nearly every evening during my time off and they're handling it well. I was very pleased to see Spider from the 1990s back in it and looking unchanged

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The Greatest Show In the History of Personkind, Pottery Throwndown, is back on Sunday.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

The Greatest Show In the History of Personkind, Pottery Throwndown, is back on Sunday.

We've caught up on seasons 3-5 over the last few weeks and it's very wholesome. Although the jobs the people on it have are always super weird, it reminds me of the Krypton Factor where they're like "Oh yea I'm a private estate agent" "I design props for films" and stuff
Fancy jobs very few people do

Although I guess to be a home potter you've got to have a decent amount of capital!

Also there's no specific archetypes on each series like Bake Off has. Again probably because of the limited pool of people to draw from

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It makes me laugh that Bake Off has developed an archetype of ‘handsome sexually ambiguous POC man’ over its time.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Catching up again with This Country (Boxset present) and man her husband playing Martin is still in my top ten utter bastards.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
P sure it's her irl dad playing Martin?!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I might be misinformed.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

I might be misinformed.

Yea he's definitely her dad

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The passage of time and other things can change things for you without knowing if you don't think about it much.

For some reason I thought her character took the fall for Dad and got a suspended sentence. Going back to something is always interesting.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Happy Valley premiere was drat good

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
if you didn't see the first episode, new series of The Apprentice is every bit as bad as you'd imagine it to be

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Do they go to the middle east so Alan can hang out with his buddies?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Hell yeah. Also got it spot on because, as any goon knows, PE teachers are all pieces of poo poo.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

It's just so consistently good, BAFTAs for everyone!

Sally Wainwright really hasn't set much of a foot wrong these last 15 years, has she? I watched "To Walk Invisible" her 2016 BBC film about the lives of the Bronte sisters and it was astonishingly good, one to catch if you missed it back then.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

It was so good and it hasn't even properly got going yet. Happy Valley is going to end up being 18 episodes of near perfection.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

goatface posted:

Do they go to the middle east so Alan can hang out with his buddies?

he sent them to antigua but god alone knows what they were supposed to be doing

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

crispix posted:

he sent them to antigua but god alone knows what they were supposed to be doing

I mean the "doing a tour in a place you have no idea about" is pretty common in apprentice.
I think the biggest problem with the show now is how obviously fake the editing is and how their actions in the boardroom are total bollocks.

There's just no way that the horrible disjointed and confused tour we saw for the men was what really happened if those people gave them TIPS by the end of it. It sounded like that one guy was amazing at it but we never really got to see that happen.
Then when they go back to the house and everyone's super friends. I just don't get it!

Also it's bonkers how in the gap between 2019 and 2022 the entire women's team now has fake lips. I know it's in fashion but whoa that's a sudden change

Taear fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 7, 2023

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
there's just no explanation of what they're meant to be doing, really, so it's just people running around places and fighting with each other and then sitting down and fighting with each other for the last 20 minutes

and an old man makes terrible jokes and slags off piers morgan and everyone laughs and laughs and laughs

it's just so utterly clapped out but the annoying thing is that it could be a good show if they got rid of sugar and changed the prize and formula

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Is channel5.com broken for everyone else?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

crispix posted:

it's just so utterly clapped out but the annoying thing is that it could be a good show if they got rid of sugar and changed the prize and formula

True that, 17 seasons is a bit much. Having said that the first ep was alright, watched with appropriately low expectations

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Pablo Bluth posted:

Is channel5.com broken for everyone else?

Had a quick glance and it's working okay for me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Channel 5 has been going downhill since the Jack Docherty Show ended :colbert:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Had a quick glance and it's working okay for me.
Turns out it's my PiHole adblocking.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The_Doctor posted:

Channel 5 has been going downhill since the Jack Docherty Show ended :colbert:

They need to bring back Mr Don and Mr George.

STONEYBRIDGE!

gently caress are we old or what.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
So I was at my sisters the other day, and it turns out she pays like £3 a month for All4 or 4od whatever its called now, and gets zero ads?! This is amazing, why don't they advertise it?

With a price as low as that and no ads, it suddenly becomes pretty much the best steaming service in the UK for TV content, it rules.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it’s cheap as poo poo and All 4 has a lot of stuff you wouldn’t expect like Adult Swim shows (watch Primal if you have literally any interest in animation as an art form whatsoever)

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I think the UK people on this forum might be of an age to remember the strange case of 16-year-old Brandon Lee, a boy who enrolled at Bearsden Academy, a secondary school in an affluent suburb of Glasgow, back in 1993. After a year of excellent academic success, he was revealed to be concealing a few very important details about himself.

BBC Scotland have a feature length documentary on the case, called My Old Schooland it's genuinely fantastic. It's rendered in a sort of 1990s' MTV/comic book style animation for the flashbacks, and the current day people involved (mostly former pupils) are filmed in a classroom with their old best friends as they try to recall the facts of the case.

I started off laughing, because what he did is so ridiculous, and ended up feeling genuinely disturbed, 10/10 documentary making!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001gf5s/my-old-school

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Perfect Element posted:

So I was at my sisters the other day, and it turns out she pays like £3 a month for All4 or 4od whatever its called now, and gets zero ads?! This is amazing, why don't they advertise it?

With a price as low as that and no ads, it suddenly becomes pretty much the best steaming service in the UK for TV content, it rules.

They advertise it constantly what are you talking about
Just watch it in a browser with ad blocking on and you'll never see an ad again

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

happyhippy posted:

gently caress are we old or what.

Depends, do you still think of Tom Holland as Dominic Holland's kid or not (that's right, Tom Holland is a nepo baby)

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Finally finished watching The Traitors and I enjoyed it quite a bit but I'm assuming the BBC has some fixed limit on prize payouts because of the whole licence fee thing?

I don't consider 120K a bad prize at all but once it starts getting split multiple ways it kind of contrasts with the spectacle the show's putting on with helicopters and speedboats when you win about enough to buy a decent used car.

The show does look fun though, maybe it's about the experience too? I'd be tempted to play for the fun of it if they marketed it as some kind of experience you could book.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The BBC has been hamstrung for years in the size of prizes they can offer because if they're too generous the various people who already hate them will accuse them of wasting public funds stolen from innocent nannas.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

goatface posted:

The BBC has been hamstrung for years in the size of prizes they can offer because if they're too generous the various people who already hate them will accuse them of wasting public funds stolen from innocent nannas.

Not just BBC. all channels have been reducing prizes for decades.
Back in the hayday of the 60s-80s you could get your house fitted if you did well in a game show.
Then in the late 90s/early 00s the maker saw they could give them nothing, not even a participation gift to home with, and people still wanted to come onto the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

On kids' game shows you could win a computer for your school