Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Bird in a Blender posted:

I think we're seeing a correction after 2020 and 2021 caused a huge rush in stock purchases and hiring. The economy is in such a weird spot right now where there are still more jobs than people, but the big tech firms are doing massive layoffs. Seems like the economy is bad for only one sector right now. I couldn't find any info on what type of jobs these layoffs are affecting, or maybe it's just across the board.

Holy moly. You weren't kidding. I was trying to find out what department or area most of the layoffs were from and saw this in the same article.

quote:

Facebook parent Meta recently announced 11,000 job cuts, the largest in the company’s history.
Twitter also announced widespread job cuts after Elon Musk bought the company for $44 billion.
Salesforce this week said it would cut 10% of its staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Amy Pole Her posted:

I mean, yeah, absolutely. I agree with you in a perfect world that is the response. No question. In that world - You likely have less drunk drivers because we have actual mental health support and don’t live in a society that simply lives for angry punishment. But that’s not reality.

We can’t even discuss it in good faith without folks bending over backwards to make weird creepy hyperbole like the above. There’s a reason folks ignore genuine questions like mine (making the sentencing take into consideration the victim being a single parent / it being a modifier, etc) and simply scream “fix it!” And when you offer genuine attempts at a solution… it gets called racist and classist.

The law does get unevenly applied so I don't think it's necessarily bad that people are thinking about this. For example, early last year, the county I lived in repealed wearing a helmet on a bike (which is a noble idea and in theory should save lives), because cops only went after minority people who weren't wearing them. The analysis showed the discriminatory costs were hurting them more than the push to have them wear helmets.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Basically you inferred something that was absolutely not there because you took that one post as a singular statement and reduced it to some other intent/flippant comment that nobody was making.

Sorry I get a little grouchy about criminal justice because so much focuses on revenge rather than actual solutions. Apologies.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Android Apocalypse posted:

I know I should be asking this in SH/SC but I'm old & going to other subforums scares me, so Jeremy my issue:

Got a mid-2013 MacBook Air with 8gb RAM, (upgraded to a) 1TB SSD, running Big Sur (the furthest it can update due to age). I normally run Google Chrome but lately it keeps crashing.

Uh… :confused:
I don't have that much RAM so what is going on?

I'm of no actual help here other than to say maybe learn to love Safari, since that seems to work much better on Macs from my very brief googling things (don't trust me, I don't know). But I do like to think the bookmark for SA Smilies is screwing everything up.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

I know I should be asking this in SH/SC but I'm old & going to other subforums scares me, so Jeremy my issue:

Got a mid-2013 MacBook Air with 8gb RAM, (upgraded to a) 1TB SSD, running Big Sur (the furthest it can update due to age). I normally run Google Chrome but lately it keeps crashing.

setting aside that 8GB isn't really enough memory for modern chrome, when the RAM fills up, MacOS will try and push unused data to the SSD to make more room. If there's no room left on the SSD to shift that data to, you're going to get crashes-- how much space is free on the SSD? Ideally you want more than 10% free.

Safari will probably perform better on a mac that old.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Qwijib0 posted:

setting aside that 8GB isn't really enough memory for modern chrome, when the RAM fills up, MacOS will try and push unused data to the SSD to make more room. If there's no room left on the SSD to shift that data to, you're going to get crashes-- how much space is free on the SSD? Ideally you want more than 10% free.

Safari will probably perform better on a mac that old.

I streamlined as much as I could for my SSD in terms of storage and I'm barely using 50% of it. That's what's confusing me.

As for embracing Safari, I enjoy using my Chromecast to stream stuff to my TV.

Considering my computer is now 10 years old I should consider replacing it.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Intruder posted:

Is it unconscionably lazy to buy a gadget specifically to separate egg yolks

cause I'm thinking of it

If you’re not good at the transferring the yolk back and forth between the two egg shell halves until all of the white separates, then I’m backing up AA’s water/soda bottle trick, it actually works really well.

LeeMajors posted:

:hf:

The 24 packs of Topo Chico at Costco have scratched the evening drinking itch for me.

Idk if it’s just me but I feel like seltzers like Chico, La Croix, Liquid Death, etc, give me this weird placebo buzz. Feels kinda nice and keeps you hydrated!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

I streamlined as much as I could for my SSD in terms of storage and I'm barely using 50% of it. That's what's confusing me.

As for embracing Safari, I enjoy using my Chromecast to stream stuff to my TV.

Considering my computer is now 10 years old I should consider replacing it.

Have you considered the value the full embrace of the Apple ecosystem would get you if you could use Airplay 2 to a shiny new Apple TV 4K :haw:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
day five of no diet soda, no processed sugar. Weirdly enough I also am now hooked on Topo Chico

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I have had 200g+ of protein for the last five days.

My turds are like rocks.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

CannonFodder posted:

I use a small tupperware thing from the 70s or early 80s for the job because I'm bad at making the perfect crack to do the "shuffle from one side to the other" method. But I don't know if that counts as a gadget.

Here's a picture I found on eBay. I know I took a picture of my own but it must have been so long ago it was on my previous laptop.

That's pretty much what I was looking at

The shell method normally works for me but I've been getting frustrated by the random eggs that refuse to separate and the white seems to just suck the yolk out with it while dropping into the bowl which also almost always breaks the yolk. I don't love using the hands method

I'm familiar with the bottle trick but I almost never have any water bottles on hand (I have a pitcher with a filter I use)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

No Butt Stuff posted:

My turds are like rocks.

:drat: Maybe throw in some salad/greens in there too, friend.

To be faiiiiiiir, I was all set to order chicken wings for Thursday Night Football… until I looked at the schedule.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

pmchem posted:

Some Nordic countries make fines like speeding tickets proportional to income or net worth

Ahhh Teemu Selanne’s 39,000 euro speeding ticket

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

My turds are like rocks.

Sounds like someone missed psyllium husk discourse :v:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I've been eating veggies too. Just not enough I guess. I think I have some metamucil somewhere.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pron on VHS posted:

day five of no diet soda, no processed sugar. Weirdly enough I also am now hooked on Topo Chico

I’m hearing more and more about this Topo Chico

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

:drat: Maybe throw in some salad/greens in there too, friend.

To be faiiiiiiir, I was all set to order chicken wings for Thursday Night Football… until I looked at the schedule.

And then you ordered wings anyway

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’m hearing more and more about this Topo Chico

It’s just a nice seltzer with an option for a hint of lime, which refreshes when you quaff it

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Topo Chico is the best of the seltzer waters and now they have their own boozy one too which is great. They have regular flavored ones, margarita flavored ones and Ranch Water flavor

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

fartknocker posted:

And then you ordered wings anyway

But where will I post a pic of it?

If a chicken wing is ordered and not posted in a GDT, was it actually consumed?

:thunk:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LeeMajors posted:

Sorry I get a little grouchy about criminal justice because so much focuses on revenge rather than actual solutions. Apologies.

A separate treatment system for drug possession cases would be a good start. Jail time doesn't work. Punitive measures should be reserved for crimes that harm others.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The toilet will know.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Intruder posted:

That's pretty much what I was looking at

The shell method normally works for me but I've been getting frustrated by the random eggs that refuse to separate and the white seems to just suck the yolk out with it while dropping into the bowl which also almost always breaks the yolk. I don't love using the hands method

I'm familiar with the bottle trick but I almost never have any water bottles on hand (I have a pitcher with a filter I use)

In my experience you're not going to get significantly better results with the separator utensil than you will with the shells. Don't know what the bottle trick is, but having tried shells, utensil similar to the picture posted, and hand, I am very strongly in team hand.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

God damnit I just swept and mopped the entire place yesterday and just now the cats decided to have an extremely aggressive and extended wrasslin’ match and now there’s dozens of tufts of cat hair tumbleweeds floating around :mad:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Post it in here and then edit with "Whoops, wrong thread"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Blowjob Overtime posted:

In my experience you're not going to get significantly better results with the separator utensil than you will with the shells. Don't know what the bottle trick is, but having tried shells, utensil similar to the picture posted, and hand, I am very strongly in team hand.

You get an empty plastic water bottle and squeeze it, then put the mouth to the yolk and let go and it sucks the yolk into the bottle while leaving the white behind

T-Square posted:

God damnit I just swept and mopped the entire place yesterday and just now the cats decided to have an extremely aggressive and extended wrasslin’ match and now there’s dozens of tufts of cat hair tumbleweeds floating around :mad:

going from carpet to hard floors I knew I'd get pet hair but I had no idea how much

On the other hand, all that hair was in the carpet before I guess and it's just that I didn't see it as easily

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Bird in a Blender posted:

The toilet will know.

:hmmyes:

CannonFodder posted:

Post it in here and then edit with "Whoops, wrong thread"

:hmmyes:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

T-Square posted:

A robot vacuum is your solution. We run ours every other day and it's a life saver dealing with cat hair.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I have one, he’s just sitting there sadly because I managed to not keep his dock with him while moving and haven’t unearthed it from the still-packed boxes, it’s highly irritating lol

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Joey Freshwater posted:

Topo Chico is the best of the seltzer waters and now they have their own boozy one too which is great. They have regular flavored ones, margarita flavored ones and Ranch Water flavor

Pron on VHS posted:

It’s just a nice seltzer with an option for a hint of lime, which refreshes when you quaff it

Sounds like the ole Topo has the TFF seal of approval. I look forward to trying some if I remember while I’m at the store.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I just finished my national registry written testing for medic and I think I'm going to either throw up or break my F5 key waiting for the results. Probably both.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I just finished my national registry written testing for medic and I think I'm going to either throw up or break my F5 key waiting for the results. Probably both.

Luck, friend. You're gonna be fine I'm sure.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Yoooooo

Congrats. It’s no longer adaptive right? So you got a full 150 questions?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Today I had to go into work because my VPN didn't work.

Today I found a bullet hole through 3 layers of wall and one layer of glass in the office!

My boss insisted I don't have any valid security concerns about being in the office. Good news for me is this will make annual reviews much more fun. Especially if my boss doesn't tell corporate!

Edit: Nobody is hurt. We don't know when the gun was fired.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
In my group there's three managers, 12 direct reports, not including contractors. One of the managers is moving to a different group, leaving 5 DRs with no manager. My manager just talked to me about potentially taking over her group and absorbing them into mine. They're also in Dallas, which would mean having to travel there at least once a month for a few days. That means I'd have 7 direct reports, or 12 if you count contractors.

I'm fine with all of this and would welcome the travel and more responsibility except

what do you think they're gonna say when I ask for more money lol

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

LeeMajors posted:

Yoooooo

Congrats. It’s no longer adaptive right? So you got a full 150 questions?

Still adaptive! I finished in 80 questions, so either I'm good or just really poo poo the bed.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Still adaptive! I finished in 80 questions, so either I'm good or just really poo poo the bed.

lol, my exact mindset walking out of the 4 hour second half of the PE exam after 2.5 hours. Guessing you crushed it, but definitely understand the anxiety. Any idea when the results are due? Assuming it's soon if you're :f5: ing

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Yeah you crushed it. Congrats!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Pron on VHS posted:

Love to quaff an ice cold Topo Chico

La Croix losers lovers vacate

e: also NBS is just trying to live up to his name by stopping up the exit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Joey Freshwater posted:

In my group there's three managers, 12 direct reports, not including contractors. One of the managers is moving to a different group, leaving 5 DRs with no manager. My manager just talked to me about potentially taking over her group and absorbing them into mine. They're also in Dallas, which would mean having to travel there at least once a month for a few days. That means I'd have 7 direct reports, or 12 if you count contractors.

I'm fine with all of this and would welcome the travel and more responsibility except

what do you think they're gonna say when I ask for more money lol

We’re paying you with experience