Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Pants Donkey posted:

Tangle would be a blast in 2D or 3D. Kinda like a more open bionic commando kind of mechanic with her tail.

Whisper is a basically a sniper, so not sure how that would work gameplay-wise.

You do it up Sly Cooper-style where there are levels where Tangle is autorunning and you're Whisper tracking her through a sniper scope and dropping in assists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

someone made tangle as a custom character in SRB2 and she’s really fun to play as
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHJyq-8bvWg

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Technically you can make Whisper in Forces as she was apparently inspired by this Avatar design:

Edit: Nevermind, see below

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 30, 2022

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Technically you can make Whisper in Forces as she was apparently inspired by this Avatar design:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/sonic/images/7/7a/WhisperForces.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20190505123745

If you're linking to wiki images, change "static" to "vignette" in the url so other people can see them, either when they click on it or if you're using [img] tags after deleting all the junk after .jpg (revisionlatest etc)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

If you're linking to wiki images, change "static" to "vignette" in the url so other people can see them, either when they click on it or if you're using [img] tags after deleting all the junk after .jpg (revisionlatest etc)

Good to know, I wasn’t aware of that trick and this was the only image source I could find as Imgur isn’t working for me at the moment

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Vinylshadow posted:

This is just confirmation of the trading he was arrested for, not a third arrest

That's easy enough to fix.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Finished Sonic Frontiers. It’s bad… but also good?

The game is riddled with buggy controls and bad artistic/design decisions to the point where I often could only stare and wonder how the game got past QA in this shape. At the same time it does a few elements very well which make the game genuinely enjoyable despite these problems. Specifically I’d point to a soundtrack that slaps, the sense of scale and style (particularly during boss fights), and the fact that running around doing random stuff is pretty satisfying. And while it’s the story and its execution are clunky and threadbare I ~did~ somehow end up giving a poo poo by the end and I genuinely like Sage as a new addition to the cast (I really like how she humanizes Eggman and hope they develop that relationship further in future games).

Also, I think it’s pretty cool that we’re probably getting solo Tails/Knuckles/Amy games. I’ve wanted that for a while now. :toot:

Sooo… yeah. I guess I’d rate it both a D+ and a B+ simultaneously. It really depends how you look at it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

readingatwork posted:

The game is riddled with buggy controls and bad artistic/design decisions to the point where I often could only stare and wonder how the game got past QA in this shape. At the same time it does a few elements very well which make the game genuinely enjoyable despite these problems. Specifically I’d point to a soundtrack that slaps, the sense of scale and style (particularly during boss fights), and the fact that running around doing random stuff is pretty satisfying. And while it’s the story and its execution are clunky and threadbare I ~did~ somehow end up giving a poo poo by the end and I genuinely like Sage as a new addition to the cast (I really like how she humanizes Eggman and hope they develop that relationship further in future games).

Also, I think it’s pretty cool that we’re probably getting solo Tails/Knuckles/Amy games. I’ve wanted that for a while now. :toot:

Sooo… yeah. I guess I’d rate it both a D+ and a B+ simultaneously. It really depends how you look at it.

They’re not separate games, just DLC chapters for Frontiers ala Episode Shadow in Forces (and if you were talking about the cast talking about going their separate ways at the end we’ll just have to see if they actually acknowledge that in the next game)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 31, 2022

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/Sonic_Hedgeblog/status/1609363598198902784

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Of course This comes out a day after I finished the game, two days after I finished Chaos Island.
It's a mod that gets rid of a lot of the 2D-locked sections on Chaos Island, the third island.
https://gamebanana.com/mods/419829

I messed around with it a bit, at least for playing around it really makes the third island way better. I have no idea what possessed them to have so much 2D in a 3D Open World. Like, half the point of the floating platforms and stuff is to get on there and see something and go "I bet I can reach that easier if I jump off of here," isn't it???

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Honestly, I didn’t find it as frustrating as others seem to. My problem with Chaos is that finding the rails to get to some of the islands was unintuitive to the point of having to look it up on YouTube.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Pants Donkey posted:

Tangle would be a blast in 2D or 3D. Kinda like a more open bionic commando kind of mechanic with her tail.

Whisper is a basically a sniper, so not sure how that would work gameplay-wise.

Here's my pitch, because I've been playing Oddworld Stranger's Wrath: Swaps between a slower-paced 3d platformer gameplay where you use wisps to grapple or jump or float, but you can switch your Variable Weapon to combat mode and it becomes more like a third person shooter / hack-n-slash with the different wisps as different weapons.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I feel like Whisper should basically just play like Ratchet & Clank.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They should bring back the concept of matching rival gameplay from SA2 but with Whisper and Fang ending in a The End style sniper duel

Really they should just bring back Fang for any reason

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

They should bring back the concept of matching rival gameplay from SA2 but with Whisper and Fang ending in a The End style sniper duel

Fang/Nack hasn’t popped up in the IDW series at all has he?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Larryb posted:

Fang/Nack hasn’t popped up in the IDW series at all has he?

Apparently Sega considers him a Classic Sonic character or something now, and that means he can't show up in Modern Sonic stuff anymore. Same goes for Mighty, Ray, Bean and Bark too.

Don't know if that's actually true, but Flynn used those characters a ton in post-reboot Archie and they've been absent in IDW.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They all appeared in a 30th anniversary step but otherwise no, they haven't appeared.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

A lot of the anniversary stuff tends to focus on Classic Sonic and they've showed up there once or twice, but not in the main series

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

flavor.flv posted:

Whisper vs Fang in Sonic Adventure 3

https://i.imgur.com/VCpmB8D.mp4

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

readingatwork posted:

The game feels like it was built with a underfunded team but with a very good director. The overall vision of the project is a spectacle, and they do achieve it. Some of the pieces are a bit warped or a tad moldy, but the pieces are put together the best they can and they try to write the other low budget aspects (dollar store open world aesthetics, reusing assets from over a decade ago) into the story, and I think it works.

I hope the next game from Sonic Team is a Frontiers sequel by the same director that is given an appropriate budget.

Also uh... I kinda like the janky movement. It's busted, but you can "feel out" how it's busted and break it to your advantage. They need to definitely revamp it for a sequel tho.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 5, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I am looking forward to the Tails, Amy, and Knuckles DLC at least (mostly because I’m curious how it’s going to work both gameplay and story wise)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Automata 10 Pack posted:

The game feels like it was built with a underfunded team but with a very good director.

I agree with this overall sentiment which is extremely weird because the director and producer are just....Kishimoto and Iizuka. Who have been the director and producer forever and most of their work has been pretty bad!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

MJeff posted:

I agree with this overall sentiment which is extremely weird because the director and producer are just....Kishimoto and Iizuka. Who have been the director and producer forever and most of their work has been pretty bad!

Lol, that is a bit of a puzzle. Maybe an open world game is easier to direct than a linear game?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
This is apparently the first ever time that Sonic Team has brought in outside playtesters for non-QA purposes and I think that's going to explain a lot. For the first time, a Sonic game is being made in response to actual, substantiative criticism instead of in reaction to 8-hour-or-less launch window reviews and deranged forums posts by fandom dead-enders.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i believe in sonic team's capacity to improve

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Automata 10 Pack posted:

The game feels like it was built with a underfunded team but with a very good director. The overall vision of the project is a spectacle, and they do achieve it. Some of the pieces are a bit warped or a tad moldy, but the pieces are put together the best they can and they try to write the other low budget aspects (dollar store open world aesthetics, reusing assets from over a decade ago) into the story, and I think it works.

I hope the next game from Sonic Team is a Frontiers sequel by the same director that is given an appropriate budget.

Also uh... I kinda like the janky movement. It's busted, but you can "feel out" how it's busted and break it to your advantage. They need to definitely revamp it for a sequel tho.

I mean the movement is solid for the most part but then you try to turn and mid turn you hit a random piece of geometry that sends you FLYING across the terrain while doing sick flips.
Got to the last island, didn't expect what's happening plotwise, but I'm enjoying this more and more. Ultimately, the worst part of Island 3 was the change that not all trasures were actual treasures, but sometimes lame springs or boost pads. The 2D sections were fine, and once I figured out you can skip the "nooo can't stand here" ice parts by just using Drop Dash on them, movement was a breeze. Island 4 was a lot of fun! Boss 3 felt kinda janky in the first half, but then the second half is rock solid.

Game still good.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
That is a Blue Ringed Octopus

i can't believe Sonic the Hedgehog is loving dead.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kikas posted:

Again

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

big the cat eats the venomous octopus whole and is completely unaffected

Kikas posted:

I mean the movement is solid for the most part but then you try to turn and mid turn you hit a random piece of geometry that sends you FLYING across the terrain while doing sick flips.

my main complaint is actually the opposite, I love when i can send myself flying off of a random rock formation, what I don’t like is when I try to do that but it doesn’t work for whatever reason. certain geometry just kinda “catches” Sonic if you try to jump off of it and kills your speed for whatever reason

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 10, 2023

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Okay, so I'm done with the plot and substories. Overall it was fun, but still felt all over the place. But because of that there was a lot to do and only sometimes it felt like busywork? Also I'm not sure if I didn't cheese like half of the Titan fights? Those are supposed to be some big cinematic setpieces and most of the time it felt like I randomly stumbled into a glitch because I boosted in a weird spot and managed to damage the Titan to skip some phases and whatnot.

I think the weakest part of the game is the boost. At some points it feels fine, then it's overpowered bullshit allowing me to skip enemies, terrain and whatnot, and then it loving kills me when I look at it wrong at full rings. Never got used to it over the hours I've put it. But the formula for the game worked, shorter levels don't feel like a problem when there's poo poo to do in the open world, it's not like Forces with it's 30s levels making me menu and load more then play the game. I'll wait for the DLC, that might be fun.
Best 3D Sonic since Generations.

Augus posted:

my main complaint is actually the opposite, I love when i can send myself flying off of a random rock formation, what I don’t like is when I try to do that but it doesn’t work for whatever reason. certain geometry just kinda “catches” Sonic if you try to jump off of it and kills your speed for whatever reason

It's fun unless you're thying to Cyloop something and it gets interuppted because Sonic catches air for 0.1 of a second :argh:

Oh yeah and I think my complaint with the glitchy Titans fight is why I'm indifferent to the music. The gameplay never feeling right and me being very much on my own tempo doesn't help me feel the hype like with Open Your Heart or What I'm Made Of. Not even close to Live and Learn in any capacity. I just don't get why people gush over the songs so much lol.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 10, 2023

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kikas posted:

it's fine he's wearing gloves

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

I just finished reading through Tangle and Whisper and then Issues 21-24 of the main run.

I am now very cross. :colbert:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NaotoOhshima/status/1616849524710068227

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Canon human Sonic

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Charmy the Bee's father, Doctor Robotnik.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sounds like this idea might have been revisited for NiGHTS into Dreams.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/tetsu_skytree/status/1616894357931692033
Maybe the two protagonists thing but he's in the replies saying this has nothing to do with NIGHTS

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I also disavow all relation to NiGHTS so you know what fair.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I can’t believe Glover was a Sonic spin-off this whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/tetsu_skytree/status/1617535599459848193

A small image of the rest of the 22 page pitch document.