Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know if he's changed but back when I still listened sometimes, Bryan would argue with Adam's right wing poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I always sort of read Bryan as mostly collecting a paycheck, but also just holding his tongue instead of pushing back too hard on his friend who helped him with his cancer. At best not a complete chud? Just someone that looks the other way instead of challenging his friend who is prone to yelling loudly. After giving up on Adam I listened to the Film Vault for a while and it always annoyed me that if Anderson tried to talk poo poo about Adam/Adam's views, Bryan ignored it or stuck up for him.

I vaguely recall Bryan (and Alison? Teresa?) trying to challenge Adam's just garbage tier opinion of a police killing and naturally Adam blew up about it

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I just read through a lot of this thread and holy poo poo was this depressing. I legit enjoyed Carolla in my formative years and learned of him through Loveline. I even listened to his early days podcast but kind of gave up about a year in or so when it became clear he was just repeating the same stories from his radio days over and over. I think my breaking point was him complaining about his housekeeper/nanny being too loud making breakfast for him and his kids in the morning or something? I was like "jesus christ you're out of touch."

To catch up to this and see the insanity he's done the past few years is wild.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Tweak posted:

I always sort of read Bryan as mostly collecting a paycheck, but also just holding his tongue instead of pushing back too hard on his friend who helped him with his cancer. At best not a complete chud? Just someone that looks the other way instead of challenging his friend who is prone to yelling loudly. After giving up on Adam I listened to the Film Vault for a while and it always annoyed me that if Anderson tried to talk poo poo about Adam/Adam's views, Bryan ignored it or stuck up for him.

I vaguely recall Bryan (and Alison? Teresa?) trying to challenge Adam's just garbage tier opinion of a police killing and naturally Adam blew up about it

Yeah the show was at it's best with Bryan, Adam and Teresa. It pretty much represented all sides, Teresa far left, Adam starting to drive far right and Bryan being a bit more in the middle, but he's definitely liberal. They actually had somewhat decent conversations and listened to each other. Unfortunately once Teresa left it all went downhill, I loved Alison but he steamrolled over her and I stopped listening when he fired her.

I do listen to the Film Vault here and there, I'm hoping we get some real talk now, but I suspect he'll still keep his mouth shut since he'll be going back on the show.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

soggybagel posted:

I just read through a lot of this thread and holy poo poo was this depressing. I legit enjoyed Carolla in my formative years and learned of him through Loveline.

One of us.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Y'all remember Giovanni, the dude who took crazy deluded ownership of the loveline archives and constantly lashed out at other attempts at sharing the episodes? Perfectly normal, perfectly healthy.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

That’s super fan giovanni to you, pal

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

UP AND ADAM posted:

Y'all remember Giovanni, the dude who took crazy deluded ownership of the loveline archives and constantly lashed out at other attempts at sharing the episodes? Perfectly normal, perfectly healthy.

Hey, I'm actually friends with the dude who records all of the results of Bryan and Anderson's gambling on the Film Vault. They'd thank him weekly but it took literally years for me to realize it was the same name heh.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

UP AND ADAM posted:

I was listening to GIO for a little bit as a pod of last resort and one of them started with literally 20+ minutes about his neighbor poisoning his dog. Check out Classic Loveline on Patreon!

When Pigs Cry fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 5, 2023

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I actually liked the podcast before it turned into morning zoo. The one-on-one interviews were really good and mostly ended up being him shooting the poo poo with funny people. It forced him to actually interact and learn about the guests.

The morning zoo format just had Adam ignore the guests. He'd have someone interesting on, learn nothing about the person, and then expect them to riff on some boring news stories that were just meant to get Adam to go off on a political rant. It was almost uncomfortable to listen to.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

soggybagel posted:

I think my breaking point was him complaining about his housekeeper/nanny being too loud making breakfast for him and his kids in the morning or something? I was like "jesus christ you're out of touch."

On the last episode I listened to before completely writing him off forever he was complaining about the way the nanny was helping his kid with a school project. Something about how they were taking up too much space in the living room or something.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 5, 2023

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Agree he's going to Florida. He can fill the Rush Limbaugh-shaped hole in broadcast media spewing right-wing hate from Florida and talking about how great he is.

Also the zero notice firing today because he's THINKING about moving at some point seems odd. He talks about the divorce being more than he expected, which makes it seem like it's more about cost savings than setting them free because they don't want to move.

bartok posted:

Come to think of it are there any friends besides Dr. Drew that Adam hasn't alienated yet?

Assuming Jimmy Kimmel, Adam says he was at Kimmel's Christmas party in that YouTube clip. Kimmel had some clip I must have seen here a couple years ago about Adam and COVID, and every time Kimmel talks about Adam it makes me wonder why the hell he stays close.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
At one point I was pretty sure he was moving to Texas so I'll stick with that as a guess even though I'm sure a ton has changed in the interim

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Drunkboxer posted:

On the last episode I listened to before completely writing him off forever he was complaining about the way the nanny was helping his kid with a school project. Something about how they were taking up too much space in the living room or something.

I think he employed a husband/wife as gardener & nanny and I remember him sharing he docked the gardener’s pay for not keeping a gate to the pool closed. Understandable a little bit as I think the kids were little and it was a drowning risk but definite uncomfortable power dynamics there.

I remember him bragging about outsmarting the need to get up in the middle of the night with babies if you’re paying a nanny to nap in a chair outside their room, and thinking that was a good idea. Then I had a kid & yes babies need attention but it’s also critical bonding time & getting adjusted to a new mindset of being responsible for the kid & getting to know them. I understand needing a break but seems to not have worked out for him to keep throwing money at the kid’s upbringing so he can do whatever he wants.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I remember a sage bit of Aceman advice that the key to a happy family life where no one gets on anyone’s nerves is to simply live in a 6000+ square foot house with a full time maid.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

UP AND ADAM posted:

Do we ever know what happened to Giovanni? I was 70% sure he was going to stab Carolla to death :ese:

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Ralph Hurley posted:

I remember a sage bit of Aceman advice that the key to a happy family life where no one gets on anyone’s nerves is to simply live in a 6000+ square foot house with a full time maid.

don't forget 2 tivos

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Don’t forget pissing in the sink

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ralph Hurley posted:

I mean, he's not entirely wrong. It's not everything, but having everyone crammed in a small place definitely sucks. :D

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

pangstrom posted:

At one point I was pretty sure he was moving to Texas so I'll stick with that as a guess even though I'm sure a ton has changed in the interim

Oh yeah, I forgot about the shithead diaspora in Austin like Alex Jones.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the shithead diaspora in Austin like Alex Jones.

Didn't Joe Rogan move to Austin too? All these right wing podcasters should form their own little city like Gibsontown, Florida where all the carnies live.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Texas' lack of state income taxes attracts a lot of that.

Alex Jones is local though, he didn't move anywhere.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Texas' lack of state income taxes attracts a lot of that.

Alex Jones is local though, he didn't move anywhere.

That's the draw of Florida, as well, right? Either way, no shortage of opportunities for the Ace Man to complain about how hot it is.

I think I knew that about Jones and forgot. Kath from What a Time to Be Alive has talked about Alex Jones being in Austin as well as right-wing podcasters moving there, and I think those wires got crossed.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Texas also caps alimony and child support at 5k a month iirc.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Omnicarus posted:

I think Florida protects pensions such as from the NFL from civil judgments, so OJ went there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I dunno about Florida, I know Texas because it's popular for expats to move their US residency to a PO box there so they don't have to pay state taxes (federal you already don't have to pay unless you make a ridiculous amount of money).

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Omnicarus posted:

Texas doesn't allow wage garnishments, not sure about the alimony and child support caps.

Florida doesn't count your property as part of your claimable assets as long as you live there and a few other rules. OJ went to florida to be house rich and wallet poor.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Some classic episodes of Loveline have Giovanni introducing them and it's like 6 minutes of "The first call is Kevin who's worried about his penis size, and then we have 16-year-old Nicole who wants to date a 37-year-old, and then a funny bit where Adam makes fun of Drew's driving under the speed limit..." and it just goes on like that. Just rubbing his own stink over the show with no consideration of whether anyone might want to listen to it.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I hated when he stopped putting stuff on loveline tapes in favor of the podcast releases with his BS.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm glad I spent an inordinate amount of time on awful DSL building my own Loveline archive before Giovanni poo poo all over it.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

bartok posted:

Didn't Joe Rogan move to Austin too? All these right wing podcasters should form their own little city like Gibsontown, Florida where all the carnies live.

The best part about people like Rogan who move from SoCal is the lies they constantly drop on their way out. He was saying how terrible Los Angeles has become and how its a crime ridden homeless encampment hell hole even though he lived in a gated community that isn't even in Los Angeles County.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

soggybagel posted:

The best part about people like Rogan who move from SoCal is the lies they constantly drop on their way out. He was saying how terrible Los Angeles has become and how its a crime ridden homeless encampment hell hole even though he lived in a gated community that isn't even in Los Angeles County.

Suburbanites say they're from Chicago all the time, I'm not surprised people from other areas do that as well. They got LA over there, and San Diego and San Francisco, and... the Napa valley? That's all they got. Pretty sure.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I assume that’s partially because “Chicagoland” never really caught on and so there’s no way to distinguish saying you’re from the metro area (which is important when you’re talking to someone who doesn’t know the area and eventually becomes your default) and saying you’re actually from the city.

Same thing with LA, as far as I know; nobody wants to say they’re from the “Greater Los Angeles Area” and you can’t really say “I’m from Huntington Park” (as an example) and have the same effect.

With that said, people definitely do seem to complain about the horrible crime and decay from their suburbs that get close to 0 murders per year. I assume that’s because they saw someone with a sign asking for help on a freeway off-ramp once.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
When out of state, and people ask me where I'm from, I say Detroit. I haven't lived in Detroit in 30+ years, and the difference between living in Detroit and living near Detroit is massive, but nobody knows the suburbs of a major city unless you're from that state.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Everyone just says the main city of their metro area, nobody knows or cares about what specific little suburban division you're in. Except occasional weirdos from the city proper who get super offended if you say you're from the city when actually you live two blocks across the arbitrary line.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I usually say "from Southern California" and then get more specific if people ask. It's weird that people usually do; they treat "Anaheim" as if I said something vaguely familiar, although eyes start to glaze over if I start talking about the IE and I'm in trouble if I say "Ontario." I think they just want me to say LA.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Why not say I’m in the [big city] area? Or I’m near [big city]? I don’t think people are expecting your exact zip code, but it would at least clear up whether you’re in the city proper

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Apex Rogers posted:

Why not say I’m in the [big city] area? Or I’m near [big city]? I don’t think people are expecting your exact zip code, but it would at least clear up whether you’re in the city proper

"I'm near X"

"How near X?"

It really isn't part of the discussion 99% of the time.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

ninjoatse.cx posted:

"I'm near X"

"How near X?"

It really isn't part of the discussion 99% of the time.

“I’m about 20 miles north/south/east/west of X” also works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Irvine, 63
Pomona, 63
Riverside, 63
Santa Barbara, 63
Long Beach, 63
Tustin, 63