Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Chernabog posted:

Love when I'm playing my very good complete-the-manathirst-quest deck in casual and my opponent playing braindead aggro still needs to spend three hours on every single turn.

There needs to be a button to report this poo poo because oh god it makes me rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Olpainless posted:

There needs to be a button to report this poo poo because oh god it makes me rage.

That's why I almost never play on mobile - I need a second screen to entertain me while my opponent drools on themselves.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Chernabog posted:

Love when I'm playing my very good complete-the-manathirst-quest deck in casual and my opponent playing braindead aggro still needs to spend three hours on every single turn.

This is why I quit playing casual. If idiots are going to do this anyway, I might as well get some gold for it.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
This is probably more pronounced in Arena where of all the game modes it's the most curve / minion focused but people still take forever to play the broken 3 drop on turn 3 lol

drives me nuts when I run into a couple of them in a row

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Sloppy posted:

That's why I almost never play on mobile - I need a second screen to entertain me while my opponent drools on themselves.

LOL yeah I never do mobile, I like being able to watch TV or read SA while my opponent fucks around.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I still can't fathom why they don't normalise the Arena distribution pool - I love LCG draft modes, but knowing I could be just being given chaff and someone else can pull nearly T1 Meta drives me nutso.

Oh wait... 'more fun'. RNG is fun, I forgot.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Shockeh posted:

I still can't fathom why they don't normalise the Arena distribution pool - I love LCG draft modes, but knowing I could be just being given chaff and someone else can pull nearly T1 Meta drives me nutso.

Oh wait... 'more fun'. RNG is fun, I forgot.

Yeah most of the arena streamers have been crying out for years now that there should be a curated draft pool.. the current system of drafting is fine but the problem is you have sets from 2017, 2020 and 2022 in the same pool and if you end up getting a deck with a bunch of cards that were printed 5+ years ago you are pretty much hosed.. Having a curated pool that is designed with synergies in mind would make the average deck more fun to play and would help mitigate against the problem they've faced the last 2 years with DH and they will be facing the next 2 years with DK where the new class is always the strongest in the meta because it doesn't have any old bad cards to pick from watering down it's pool relative to the other classes. I think most arena players aren't so much turned off by the fact that you can have a strong deck or a weaker deck because that's part and parcel of the game mode, but when the weaker drafts are just 20 neutral minions with no interesting synergies or effects and some spell cards from 5 years ago the game is horrible to play.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 3, 2023

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Starsfan posted:

This is probably more pronounced in Arena where of all the game modes it's the most curve / minion focused but people still take forever to play the broken 3 drop on turn 3 lol

drives me nuts when I run into a couple of them in a row

Oh yeah. Opponent has 4 cards in hand, 3 minions in play and 20HP while you are topdecking with a single vanilla 2/2 in play but they still spend the entire turn mousing over their cards, so it's not even like they are AFK.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Starsfan posted:

Yeah most of the arena streamers have been crying out for years now that there should be a curated draft pool.. the current system of drafting is fine but the problem is you have sets from 2017, 2020 and 2022 in the same pool and if you end up getting a deck with a bunch of cards that were printed 5+ years ago you are pretty much hosed.. Having a curated pool that is designed with synergies in mind would make the average deck more fun to play and would help mitigate against the problem they've faced the last 2 years with DH and they will be facing the next 2 years with DK where the new class is always the strongest in the meta because it doesn't have any old bad cards to pick from watering down it's pool relative to the other classes. I think most arena players aren't so much turned off by the fact that you can have a strong deck or a weaker deck because that's part and parcel of the game mode, but when the weaker drafts are just 20 neutral minions with no interesting synergies or effects and some spell cards from 5 years ago the game is horrible to play.

Hell, even consistently offer rarities.

(I'd echo myself repeatedly by pointing out Discover is part of the problem, as it's such a stupidly strong and widespread mechanic)

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Not bragging but i'm a pretty decent player. Been playing for years. Best Arena run? 2-3. This is from just using up the free tickets. 0-3 is FAR more common.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Shockeh posted:

Hell, even consistently offer rarities.

(I'd echo myself repeatedly by pointing out Discover is part of the problem, as it's such a stupidly strong and widespread mechanic)

I've thought alot about discover and overall (when supported properly) I think it's a fine mechanic.. it's skill testing and the better and more experienced player in arena will tend to do better with it than the less experienced player.

The problem is that it's often not been supported properly in Arena and you end up in a situation where the worst cards in the meta are what I think of as targeted discover. An example would be that 6 mana 3/4 that discovers a spell that costs 5 or more.. This card has always been horrible except for that one 2 month period where Demon Hunter could use it to get Cycle of Hatred (the best card in arena, actually game winning) 75% of the time because DH only had 4 spells that cost 5 or more in the sets that were in the rotation... Another example would be the months where deeprun engineer discovered the Goliath 50% of the time when it was released because there weren't many mechs in the rotation.

I think a large part of the reason many arena players hate discover in arena is because it seems like the same game breaking cards are often discovered multiple times a run off these targeted cards. It's another thing that would be improved by a curated arena set because presumably the curator wouldn't allow a situation where a discover or RNG card only had a couple of potential targets it could create, and especially if one of those potential targets is a game winning card.. of course this is speaking about the same design team that had that card that created a copy of a 7,8,9 and 10 cost spell from your mage deck during a 18 month period where mage had no 8 cost spells in standard so maybe I'm expecting too much.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 4, 2023

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Starsfan posted:

of course this is speaking about the same design team that had that card that created a copy of a 7,8,9 and 10 cost spell from your mage deck during a 18 month period where mage had no 8 cost spells in standard so maybe I'm expecting too much.

I don't think they have anyone seriously testing Wild. They try to design for it now and then and it's always bad. I think that is what happened here.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Since arena came up recently I wanted to give it a look again. I used to try-hard it quite a bit back in the day but fell out once it got too wacky for my taste. Drafted a pretty bad mage deck, went 4-0, then got absolutely hammered by deathknights and that was it. Don't think I'll come back soon lol

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Anyone hear anything about the update?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Mayveena posted:

Anyone hear anything about the update?

it's "behind the scenes" stuff and yet it was a 2 gig+ download

weird

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

also the new vs report is out and ooooooh boy this sure is going to be a fun month

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

The meta feels worse than it ever has imo. So many decks are barely even playing minions. Ramp Druid does nothing for 5-8 turns. Spitter, Burn Mage and DK mostly just store spells before they can burst you down in one. Rogue is still doing goofy miracle poo poo that it’s impossible to play around. Warrior hasn’t been seen in months.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I hope that they rotate the rogue location to wild with the next season, the design does not allow for fun/interesting games, and I am saying that as someone with like 1200 rogue wins lol. Like og Edwin was such a problem that he was nerfed and then sent away to wild, and they design a non-legendary Edwin with stealth that you can bank the mana for and draw twice as often. C’mon guys.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Sinstone makes me lol. 2 mana card that was making two 11/11 stealthers each. And they decided that 3 was a fair cost.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Yeah, this format sucks rear end. Too fast, too much from-hand damage. Feels impossible to stabilize and turn the corner. Maybe you can fix it by tinkering with numbers, but I kind of doubt it. Feels more like a critical mass type problem.

bravesword fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 5, 2023

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

It feels like they’ll need to move up the new standard year because this poo poo will be unplayable in like two months. No one will survive to April.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
It feels like there's a clean 50/50 split between the playerbase. One half likes long control games that go to fatigue, and the other prefer games to be over by turn 5 with smoothbrain aggro. I think they tried to appeal to everyone by giving control more lethality with denathrius and astalor, but somehow that ended with just upsetting everyone. I don't know where they can go from here. Lower the power level next expansion and players won't pre-order because the cards are weak, or worse, the meta remains stale; increase the power level next expansion and games will be over even faster.

Maybe one expansion cycle without any bullshit highrolling and mana cheating, wouldn't that be something for once.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 5, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Since arena came up recently I wanted to give it a look again. I used to try-hard it quite a bit back in the day but fell out once it got too wacky for my taste. Drafted a pretty bad mage deck, went 4-0, then got absolutely hammered by deathknights and that was it. Don't think I'll come back soon lol

Yeah arena is an absolute scam right now for buying in because unless you get death knight you are facing an upward battle to get much past 3 wins. It's really unacceptable that they've left the game mode in this state for a month now. There might be some players who can do alright in this meta but it's hard to justify sinking gold into when you have a less than 30% chance of getting death knight and then even if you do get death knight you're still not guaranteed a good deck. That's in addition to all the other problems we talked about in this thread. I only play the mode right now when I'm doing that weekly quest because I still prefer it to Battlegrounds, Duels or Tavern Brawl.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

Oenis posted:

Maybe one expansion cycle without any bullshit highrolling and mana cheating, wouldn't that be something for once.

I'm hopeful that this next rotation fixes things - we lose a ton of stuff that still sees play, including mercenaries/quests, so it should be a decent shakeup. At the very least, we only have a few more months of Brann and Guff.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Man, I would kill for some straightforward aggro decks to be good. At least there you can tech against them with reactive tools, and you could heal or gain armor to buy time. What we’ve got now are decks that vomit out 15-20 damage from hand on turn six or seven, and the defensive tools are so bad that taking any early damage at all puts you in range of the burst. So your options become a) draw perfectly and move into middle turns with full health, then do your own stupid broken thing or b) kill quicker and become part of the problem. I hate formats where the answer is “kill quicker.”

If I were to start talking card changes, it would have to be something like…

—Delete the Maestra/Gnoll interaction
—Delete the DH Questline
—Delete Unleash Fel
—Delete Sinstone Graveyard
—Change one of the Frost DK burn spells to only hit minions, possibly increase cost on Lady Deathwhisper
—Shockspitter again (four-mana 3/3?), with plans to maybe move it back after Brann and Devouring Swarm rotate

Too much? Maybe, but I wouldn’t be unhappy if I never saw any of these cards again.

bravesword fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 5, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Another point is I think most (all?) of the tradable cards are dropping out of the standard pool and that will be really really good. For whatever reason many of these tradeable cards became a part of incredibly annoying combo decks at one point or other (Blackwater Cutlass, Overdraft, Wicked Shipment, Guild Trader and Need for Greed) because as it turns out combo decks don't have much better things to do than cycle cards on some of their turns. I don't think tradeable was a bad concept but in practice it helped some kinds of decks much more than others.

They need to get back to having class identities where each class has things it does well and things it does not do well (real weaknesses).. In a sense the DK rune system is kind of a push towards this direction as it's worked out in practice to require more specialization in deck building (token / wide board synergy OR burn OR control style play). It's not a surprise that many players really seem to like DK and think it's a breath of fresh air in standard.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Me, back in May posted:

Also, this is the first expansion of the new year. Imagine what the end of Hydra is gonna look like. :v:
Caaaaaaaalled it.

I'm actually surprised given how recently Honorable Kill was added, that the three DK Strike cards aren't using it. They're just 'If the Minion dies'...

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Starsfan posted:

Yeah arena is an absolute scam right now for buying in because unless you get death knight you are facing an upward battle to get much past 3 wins.
Yeah even after my limited exposure I can believe that. The card pool also seems like an extra jumbled mess. Small undead aggro was the only synergy I could see on offer and lol at trying to play that in arena without a stellar draft. The set had some baller neutrals like the rush and taunt guys with manathirst but I didn't get any and got owned by opponents who did. I would assume the rates on those got tweaked to not be ever present but it doesn't actually help imo because now decks that have them get an even bigger boost from them. The DK card pool is just ridiculous for arena and I don't think there's much to talk about there.

Starsfan posted:

It's really unacceptable that they've left the game mode in this state for a month now.
Imo one of the core problems with arena is and always was that it doesn't earn money so why should they sink resources into it? All the significant changes I can remember are the results of long-term bitching and begging by the core player base (streamers and their communites mostly) so I would not expect them to change anything about the current format soon.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Tradable is such a cool mechanic, I’d personally love to see it become a mainstay like discover did

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I don't know if my ladder is softer because I haven't played wild in many expansions but I'm currently 27-4 with this deck:

### GreedKnight
# Class: Deathknight
# Format: Wild
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 1x (1) Body Bagger
# 1x (1) Mistress of Mixtures
# 1x (2) Amalgam of the Deep
# 1x (2) Astalor Bloodsworn
# 1x (2) Dirty Rat
# 1x (2) Hematurge
# 1x (2) Obliterate
# 1x (2) Vampiric Blood
# 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
# 1x (3) Asphyxiate
# 1x (3) Brann Bronzebeard
# 1x (3) Bunker Sergeant
# 1x (3) Chillfallen Baron
# 1x (3) Nerubian Vizier
# 1x (3) Pandaren Importer
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 1x (3) Rustrot Viper
# 1x (3) Soulbreaker
# 1x (3) Venomous Scorpid
# 1x (3) Zola the Gorgon
# 1x (4) Blademaster Okani
# 1x (4) Death Strike
# 1x (4) School Teacher
# 1x (4) Smothering Starfish
# 1x (4) Street Sweeper
# 1x (5) Blood Boil
# 1x (5) Corpse Explosion
# 1x (5) Famished Fool
# 1x (5) Spammy Arcanist
# 1x (6) Arcane Dynamo
# 1x (6) Corrupted Ashbringer
# 1x (6) Gnome Muncher
# 1x (6) Reno Jackson
# 1x (6) Sylvanas, the Accused
# 1x (7) Alexandros Mograine
# 1x (7) Mutanus the Devourer
# 1x (7) Patchwerk
# 1x (8) Soulstealer
# 1x (9) Dragonqueen Alexstrasza
# 1x (9) Insatiable Devourer
#
AAEBAfHhBCjfxAKTgAP8owORsQOW6AOm7wPJ+QPQ+QOljQTSpATHsgSNtQSWtwSywQSW1ASY1ASa1ASb1ATq4wT04wT94wSJ5ASU5ASV5ASJ5gSP7QTg7QSX7wSk7wSu7wS88ASE9gSH9gSy9wSz9wS2+gSrgAWogQWimQXipAUAAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Tradable is such a cool mechanic, I’d personally love to see it become a mainstay like discover did

I like Tradeable in principle, but you have to be super-careful with what you put in the format around it. It’s obnoxious with cards that reward drawing cards (DH Questline, Runed Mythril Rod, Wildpaw Gnoll), and it makes combos a lot more consistent, especially if the combo pieces themselves can be traded, like Guild Trader or Wicked Shipment.

The defining Tradeable card, to me, was Persistent Peddler, in that its intended use (giving Deathrattle DH another midrange deathrattle that mitigated some of the downside of drawing it before you had a chance to play Blackthorn) almost never happened; rather, it was played solely to advance the Questline and push out Irebound Brutes faster.

If Tradeable comes back, I hope they take a look around and make sure there aren’t any decks that would cheerfully play a one-mana draw a card spell.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Chernabog posted:

I don't know if my ladder is softer because I haven't played wild in many expansions but I'm currently 27-4 with this deck:

### GreedKnight
# Class: Deathknight
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 1x (1) Body Bagger
# 1x (1) Mistress of Mixtures
# 1x (2) Amalgam of the Deep
# 1x (2) Dirty Rat
# 1x (2) Hematurge
# 1x (2) Obliterate
# 1x (2) Vampiric Blood
# 1x (3) Asphyxiate
# 1x (3) Bunker Sergeant
# 1x (3) Nerubian Vizier
# 1x (3) Pandaren Importer
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 1x (3) Rustrot Viper
# 1x (3) Soulbreaker
# 1x (3) Zola the Gorgon
# 1x (4) Death Strike
# 1x (4) School Teacher
# 1x (4) Smothering Starfish
# 1x (4) Street Sweeper
# 1x (5) Blood Boil
# 1x (5) Famished Fool
# 1x (5) Spammy Arcanist
# 1x (6) Arcane Dynamo
# 1x (6) Corrupted Ashbringer
# 1x (6) Gnome Muncher
# 1x (6) Reno Jackson
# 1x (7) Patchwerk
# 1x (8) Soulstealer
# 1x (9) Insatiable Devourer
#
AAEBAfHhBCjfxAKTgAP8owORsQOW6AOm7wPJ+QPQ+QOljQTSpATHsgSNtQSWtwSywQSW1ASY1ASa1ASb1ATq4wT04wT94wSJ5ASU5ASV5ASJ5gSP7QTg7QSX7wSk7wSu7wS88ASE9gSH9gSy9wSz9wS2+gSrgAWogQWimQXipAUAAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

I'm not sure how our lists differ yet but Wild Reno DK is a loving powerhouse. SO GOOD. The ladder isn't any softer.

### hahaha gently caress off
# Class: Death Knight
#
# 1x (1) Body Bagger
# 1x (1) Heart Strike
# 1x (1) Icy Touch
# 1x (1) Noxious Cadaver
# 1x (1) Sir Finley, Sea Guide
# 1x (1) Sphere of Sapience
# 1x (2) Dirty Rat
# 1x (2) Hematurge
# 1x (2) Obliterate
# 1x (2) Vampiric Blood
# 1x (3) Asphyxiate
# 1x (3) Nerubian Vizier
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 1x (3) Rustrot Viper
# 1x (3) Zola the Gorgon
# 1x (4) Death Strike
# 1x (5) Blood Boil
# 1x (5) Deathbringer Saurfang
# 1x (5) Spammy Arcanist
# 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
# 1x (6) Gnome Muncher
# 1x (6) Reno Jackson
# 1x (6) Theotar, the Mad Duke
# 1x (7) Patchwerk
# 1x (7) The Curator
# 1x (8) Boneguard Commander
# 1x (8) Soulstealer
# 1x (10) Raid Boss Onyxia
# 1x (10) Sire Denathrius
#
AAEBAfHhBCi5sgLfxAL8owORsQOPzgOW6AOm7wPQ+QOoigSljQSlrQTlsATHsgTp0ASW1ASY1ASa1AS42QT04wT84wT94wT+4wSJ5ASU5ASJ5gSx5gS05gSP7QSX7wSk7wSE9gSH9gSy9wSz9wS+9wS2+gSrgAWogQWimQXipAUAAA==
#

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
There are some fun games and cool new cards. Anachronos may be my favorite card ever. However, I do agree with some of the concerns I've been seeing here. When collecting achievements with Priest and Warrior, the two worst, there were a lot of matches I didn't expect to win but found some frustrating situations that made even a more casual playing for achievements not as fun.

Examples of cards that annoy me as they make having a board work against you:

Soulstealer and Blood Boil
Unleash Fel, especially painful with Arcanist
Shockspitter, as Devouring Swarm returns it to their hand if you have a board built up

Additionally, there are several cards that might be fine if they had additional restrictions, but can make for annoying, broken early turns or make things too hyper-swingy in the early or mid game. Things like sinstone graveyard.

There's also Druid which has a lot of cards good for certain situations and a lot of cards for ramping and drawing or discovering them. No individual problem card, just a critical mass of good ones.

I'm hoping things improve in the next year's set -after rotation my personal opinion is that the power level of Stormwind and Alterac were too high and that's caused problems with balance in the Hydra year's sets. I'm also still annoyed at how several Stormwind quest rewards synergized with their conditions instead of relying on something different, making for a lot of linear games before repeated nerfs put them out of mainstream use.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

if you go wide, DH murders you with Unleash Fel
If you go tall, DH murders you with Sinful Brand instead

between rogue, DH and Frost "Point at your face and click" DK that's 80% of my matchups while trying to finish diamond to legend

:shepicide:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I like tradeable a ton as a keyword for narrow-use cards. Imho Rustrot Viper is one of the most perfectly designed tech cards ever printed in hearthstone

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I like tradeable a ton as a keyword for narrow-use cards. Imho Rustrot Viper is one of the most perfectly designed tech cards ever printed in hearthstone

Yeah it's great.

Blacksmith's Hammer was a good tradeable card for warrior too since it worked well with the quest and didn't lead to degenerate poo poo.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Agreed, and that’s an example of where the mechanic was used well - To introduce a tech card that was still okay value if played, and had a way for a slight cost to be usable if the value wasn’t there. Rustrot Viper is a brilliant, brilliant card, but it’s nothing like the rest of the design philosophy you see elsewhere.

(Need for Greed using it as a way to discount was interesting too, I’d suggest)

hermyownee
Jun 5, 2011
In my experience you can average 3+ wins in arena by drafting to take the board early and then hold it. Sure some classes and drafts are better than others, but you can mostly guarantee a certain amount of consistency by e.g. always having a 2 drop to play on turn 2, drafting for cards that remove + develop board, playing taunts at times that will prevent opponent trading efficiently, carefully considering trade vs face etc.

Obvs that's unhelpful if you don't enjoy playing that way. I like arena because I feel at much less of a disadvantage in not knowing opponents' specific game plan vs other modes.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Fifth rogue game in a row where they won by the skin of their teeth from shadowstepping astalor, gonna go play something else for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Twitch drops event happening today in about an hour: 9am-11am PST
https://www.twitch.tv/playhearthstone
https://twitter.com/PlayHearthstone/status/1611059968031002624