Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My wife and I have been traveling non stop this year, at least one round trip flight a month for all of 2022 and we only got COVID once and it was definitely from an uncomfortably packed Smuggler's Cove from our SF visit.
Either we are very lucky or we naturally stay the gently caress away from people.

Meanwhile, my MIL goes to Dillards and catches it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

couldcareless posted:

uncomfortably packed Smuggler's Cove

I don't think there's any other kind.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Night at bald mountain coaster

Would

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Trying to recall all of the incidents at Icon Park:

- the wheel lost power and stranded riders for a few hours on a hot summer day not long after opening, but no fire.
- a worker that fell from the StarFlyer
- the rider that fell from the FreeFall
- this

is there anything else?

They made a "sniper shooting" thing you could do on the Eye where it was legit like you are a sniper taking out targets on the ground. It was very YEEESH and only a few months after the kid died, so you know, they were already swimming in bad PR so that didn't help.

At this point I am waiting for a wax figure at the wax museum to strangle someone.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

thatguyclint posted:

It's this or Powerline and I'm not sure I'd accept anything else.

yyyeesssssss

poo poo do it for one month with a quick overlay and Ill stand in line for 6 hours to ride it

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

4*TOWN is the winner

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Only if mei is included in the ride.

Ps I'm getting released today. DISNEY TRIP PLANNING AGOGO

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

She could drive

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Mei's mom as a giant red panda animatronic attacking the coaster.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
We went to CA Adventure yesterday to get out of the house, the rain has kept us cooped up for much of my kids' winter vacation, and it was packed. The rain was very light, just drizzly really, and the number of people buying those overpriced Disney rain ponchos was hilarious. Every store had lines out the door. Does anyone ever wear those things after their trips to the park? I guess you could pack them for later visits to wear on Tiana's Splash Mountain or something.

But the most surprising thing was I got yet another survey on my Disneyland experience in my email this morning. Is anyone else getting these regularly? I think I've filled out a few dozen of these over the past few years, I remember a big one I did a few years ago was all about Adventureland and my experience there. That was before they changed the treehouse and the Aladdin restaurant there. This one focused on if I ate/drank anything in the parks, or if I brought stuff from home. And if I shopped at all. I sure hope this isn't some longterm assessment to ban outside food from the parks.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I bought one of those ponchos several years ago before going on that rapids ride at DCA. I still have it and bring it with me on my trips to the Disney Parks.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 4, 2023

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Zero One posted:

Mei's mom as a giant red panda animatronic attacking the coaster.

Basically an overlay of cosmic rewind, but with giant panda instead of celestial

Jose Oquendo posted:

I bought one of those ponchos several years ago before going on that rapids ride at DCA. I still have it and bring it with me on my trips to the Disney Parks.

Seconding this. I finally forced my wife to retire the ponchos we had been reusing after about 7 years

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Are there any good documentaries, books, old archival sites with the history of Disney World? After spending a week there I'm very interested in old maps, old layouts, old rides etc over the years...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Disappointing Pie posted:

Are there any good documentaries, books, old archival sites with the history of Disney World? After spending a week there I'm very interested in old maps, old layouts, old rides etc over the years...

The first one to come to mind is http://www.hauntedmansion.com/, which is a huge archive of everything to do with the attraction.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

If you have Disney+, I recommend The Imagineering Story. There's also a book, but these are both official Disney productions, so they don't exactly have a critical view on WDW.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Check out a YouTube channel called Defunctland. There’s a pile of older episodes that talk about rides that are gone now.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Defunctland on YouTube has lots of good Disney history videos.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
RetroWDW is the place to go

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Martin’s Vids on YT
RetroWDW podcast and YT channel (the latter has lots of restored home and marketing videos)
Disneydocs.net

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jose Oquendo posted:

Same. I recently retired my 2012 one because it started to grow moss or algae. Apparently I didn't put it away properly in 2019 and the pandemic wasn't kind to it.

I think this is where I found lots of scans of old paper maps: https://www.laughingplace.com/w/page/disney-parks-maps-throughout-the-years/

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Jose Oquendo posted:

We have three of various vintages we take back to the park every trip. They are great.

Tiaer
Oct 6, 2020

There's also a channel called Yesterworld that's pretty good. I liked the one they did about the original Disney-MGM Studio Backlot Tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR6FUGuosQI

Tiaer fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 5, 2023

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

There are two summer WDW discounts today. One is a dining promo card that you receive when you book a full price room/ticket package. For Value resorts, it’s up to $50 per night, for Moderates it’s up to $100 per night, for Deluxes and Villas it’s up to $150 per night. How much you get is dependent upon dates and resort.

The other is a straight room discount, between 10% and 25% depending on resort.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Braksgirl posted:

There are two summer WDW discounts today. One is a dining promo card that you receive when you book a full price room/ticket package. For Value resorts, it’s up to $50 per night, for Moderates it’s up to $100 per night, for Deluxes and Villas it’s up to $150 per night. How much you get is dependent upon dates and resort.

The other is a straight room discount, between 10% and 25% depending on resort.

What are the dates on these promos? I just booked a trip for September and wonder if I should re-book or call to get that poo poo.

edit: Just checked. My dates are in that promo. Booking it did raise the price of the package by $100 but I am getting a bunch of free dining money so it was still worth it.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 5, 2023

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

July 1-10 and August 1 - September 14 for the dining card promo and March - July for the room discount promo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Braksgirl posted:

July 1-10 and August 1 - September 14 for the dining card promo and March - July for the room discount promo.

Thank you :D

I just called WDW and changed the reservation.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Me too, thanks for the head's up!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A big gift card labled "FOOD" is really sweet to have in Disney. I think we got just shy of a full week out of ours and it made a huge difference in how we planned meals.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

We're looking at hotels for a June Disneyland trip. Anyone have experience with the Desert Inn? Last time I asked, Tropicana came recommended, but Desert Inn looks like it has more room for us and the kids for not much more money.

Edit: we ended up going with Howard Johnson’s. Lots of great reviews and bunk beds for the kids so we don’t have to listen to complaints about sharing a bed.

Funzo fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 7, 2023

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
We were able to get another $50 our room for my races in April, so it was a win!

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word

https://libguides.ocls.info/specialcollections/disney

Apparently there's a sizable archive in the Orlando library, it's local for us and my partner is a librarian and a huge Disney history nerd so we're going to check it out next week

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Funzo posted:

We're looking at hotels for a June Disneyland trip. Anyone have experience with the Desert Inn? Last time I asked, Tropicana came recommended, but Desert Inn looks like it has more room for us and the kids for not much more money.

Edit: we ended up going with Howard Johnson’s. Lots of great reviews and bunk beds for the kids so we don’t have to listen to complaints about sharing a bed.

Good choice if you're traveling with kids - it's the one with the cool mini water park, so be sure to take into account any time the kids may want to spend there.

I stayed at Desert Inn for my November 2021 trip. I picked it because it was the closest to the crosswalk across Harbor Boulevard; I knew I was going to stay in Disneyland until late and be exhausted at the end of the night (and I was!), so I wanted the shortest walk I could get. It was a standard, 2-queen-bed hotel room, and it did indeed feel nice and spacious. They had brown-bag to-go breakfasts available in the morning when I was there. HoJo should only be a slightly longer walk to the park gates.

PurpleButterfly fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 7, 2023

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anti-Bunny posted:

https://libguides.ocls.info/specialcollections/disney

Apparently there's a sizable archive in the Orlando library, it's local for us and my partner is a librarian and a huge Disney history nerd so we're going to check it out next week

The University of Central Florida, specifically the Rosen College of Hospitality, have a lot of materials as well in their collection. UCF Library Special Collections has a number of design documents from what I remember.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Arquinsiel posted:

A big gift card labled "FOOD" is really sweet to have in Disney. I think we got just shy of a full week out of ours and it made a huge difference in how we planned meals.

I don't do anything Disney (parks or cruise) without accumulating gift cards for that exact reason. Minimizes the damage from unexpected expenses, and encourages more conscientious meal-planning while you're having fun.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfh7A0lH1ac

This, for sure is a must watch. You will probably cry.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://twitter.com/ScottGustin/status/1612813847751958529

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Epcot Forever was fine but it's definitely not a permanent show and I'm very curious to see what they'll put in the lagoon next.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Epcot Forever? More like Epcot Temporary!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/ScottGustin/status/1612856804169453595

April 4 for Tron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

What's this? Are they just doing repairs/improvements after that one caught fire? Seems like a huge waste of time, money, labor, and materials to build and install those huge fuckers and the Stargate, only to run the show for a little over a year. Harmonious seemed just fine :shrug: