Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

JollyBoyJohn posted:

whats the best platformer? (on pc) I really liked the Rayman games but I haven't played anything new from the past decade or so

Off the top of my head, Sonic Mania is aces. Ray man Legends if you haven’t already played that one.

People seemed to really like the 2.5D Yooka Laylee game. Hat in Time maybe also but I haven’t personally played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

whats the best platformer? (on pc) I really liked the Rayman games but I haven't played anything new from the past decade or so
no joke Yokos Island Express is the most pure joy I've had playing video games in years

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

sonic mania plus

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Pretty sure that'd be Celeste, right?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Looper posted:

platformers live and die by the sicko poo poo

:sickos:

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Celeste is up there. Tons of content, manages to be both hard and approachable, great story. Oh, and like $5.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

in fairness the "100% sucks" thing is a legitimate problem because a lot of people really did enjoy 100%-ing the classic Crash games and there's the question of what you do once you've beaten the campaign once

I agree which is why I'll likely try and 100% it anyway because I have no value placed on my own time or sanity.

The best platformer is Celeste but Sonic Mania and the last two Rayman games were really great.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Never played Celeste and its literally the price of a meal deal on steam. Easy buy!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

JollyBoyJohn posted:

A Hat in Time

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The Spyro trilogy is some excellent poo poo, good games with maybe one bum level each in a shining polished up port that added swell QoL upgrades. Tried them for the first time in 2020 and was blown away.

Tip: click the left stick anytime and the dragonfly will point at the nearest missing gem in a stage, great for polishing off a level.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Asking here I asked in discord but the RPG channel isn't well traveled I dont' think.

I'm starting to really bounce off of Trials of Cold Steel. It seems like it's pretty much on rails (I'm through chapter 3).
It seems like there's not much capability to wander around and grind money/xp for teams outside of just resetting a dungeon of the day and killing everything again.
I'm enjoying the story so far but it's starting to feel a bit more on rails than I'd like, if it opens up a little I'll keep chugging through it if not maybe i"ll call it good at 40ish hours in.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

suuuuuuper meat boy

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the consensus is that it's good but the main problem is that it is an absolutely nightmarish game to 100%

To expand on this a bit, it's probably the best Crash game but 90% of the levels are designed by trolls and it gets demoralizing after a while. Part of the fun of Crash games is trying to be attentive and find every box in a level so you can get the gem at the very end. This is an all-or-nothing reward, and the devs of Crash 4 love nothing more than hiding a handful of boxes in places that are either out of the camera frame or otherwise wouldn't be easily found without using a guide. This means that in each level, you'll reach the end after carefully looking in what seemed like every possible location only to be hit with an indicator saying something like 257/259 and you have to do the entire level over again to try and find where those two boxes are hiding.

If you don't care about that it's the best Crash game to date and was clearly made by people who loved and respected the originals. If you do care it will drive you insane because it's going to happen to you in almost every level after the first two or three.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Death Stranding

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

tater_salad posted:

I'm starting to really bounce off of Trials of Cold Steel. It seems like it's pretty much on rails (I'm through chapter 3).
It seems like there's not much capability to wander around and grind money/xp for teams outside of just resetting a dungeon of the day and killing everything again.
I'm enjoying the story so far but it's starting to feel a bit more on rails than I'd like, if it opens up a little I'll keep chugging through it if not maybe i"ll call it good at 40ish hours in.

So on the one hand I'd suggest hitting chapter 4 to really get into "oh the plot's beginning". On the other... you're going to be locked down pretty hard all of Cold Steel I. I + II were supposed to be one game and you're not even getting the airship until the sequel (at which point it will be slightly more open and give you some "have three, pick an order" explorations). If that's grating, I don't know if I can really suggest a salve, it's definitely a problem with that first game.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Supraland (and its DLC/standalone expansion if you want more)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Just working through my Steam library, my favorites are probably:

Celeste
The Crash Bandicoot games
Cuphead
Downwell
The End is Night
The Spyro games
Super Meatboy
Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair

Hat in Time was fine and charming, but the base game was reaaaaaaally easy to me, and the DLC (i.e. Seal the Deal) was comparatively brutal and frustrating.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’d say that even if you don’t care about 100% Crash 4 gets miserably difficult. you have infinite lives but making it to the end of these stages feels like getting kicked in the stomach over and over, especially as the game tauntingly penalizes you for death by withholding yet more collectibles

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't really think i'd call cuphead a platformer

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
just the best game ever, of all time

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah I suppose it's a stretch but it popped up in the tags so I'm throwing it down.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
all this talk of Crash Bandicoot being Dark Souls hard just makes me all :yeshaha:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Well when you think about it, Crash Bandicoot doesn't have difficulty settings either right?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Yooka laylee impossible lair is a great donkey kong country game u can play on pc

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ymgve posted:

Supraland (and its DLC/standalone expansion if you want more)

isnt that game 3d

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Yes.

OP didn't say 2D only I don't think

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I wrote up Sunblaze, Ageless and Death Fungeon for the hidden gems thread. They're all excellent platformers that no one's ever heard of.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Alternate take: the Ratchet games emulated (not the best or whatever, but very fun).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bumhead posted:

Oh yeah, 100%.

The worst case scenario is that I walk away with nothing bad to say about it other than that it isn't for me, which is exactly where Sekiro sits in my mind.

I'm clinging on for now though as I'm struggling to admit defeat with it - again, a reflection of how good I know the game is.

Tbh elden ring might just not be for you if you’re losing interest at liurnia because it’s only the second out of roughly 6 areas of that scale in the game. It is a much, much bigger game than it first lets on and liurnia is relatively early all things considered. I was extremely into what elden ring was going for and even I was beginning to feel burnout by the very end of the game, granted I combed through every bit of the world since I didn’t want to miss anything so most people probably didn’t take 200 hours to hit the credits like I did.

You might be able to enjoy it if you just beeline straight for the major landmarks that the story points you toward, if you’re comfortable with the fact that this will leave you lower level and with fewer gear options. Nothing stops you from riding past most of the content in the overworld and the main dungeons do play much like areas in dark souls, just designed a bit more freeform due to the jump button

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Cowcaster posted:

The platformer sections aren't the main appeal, but it's absolutely a platformer that has (mostly) static boss fight arenas.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Fanatical platinum Collection for January 2023
Creaks
Catizens
Organs please
Surgeon sim 2
Giants uprising
Anvil Saga
When the past was around
Autonats vs piratebots
Alchemist sim
Vanaris Tactics
The elder scrolls online
Death Road to Canada
Escape from naraka
A jugglers tale
Morrowind GOTY edition
Homefront the revolution
Saints Row IV re-elected
Interrogation- You will be deceived
Humans fall flat: Lumber
Call of Juraez:Gun slinger
https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/platinum-collection-build-your-own-bundle

3 for $9.99/5 for $14.99/7 for $19.99

Star Deal:Medieval dynasty-$21.29
https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/medieval-dynasty

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

fit em all up in there posted:

Fanatical platinum Collection for January 2023
Creaks
Catizens
Organs please
Surgeon sim 2
Giants uprising
Anvil Saga
When the past was around
Autonats vs piratebots
Alchemist sim
Vanaris Tactics
The elder scrolls online
Death Road to Canada
Escape from naraka
A jugglers tale
Morrowind GOTY edition
Homefront the revolution
Saints Row IV re-elected
Interrogation- You will be deceived
Humans fall flat: Lumber
Call of Juraez:Gun slinger
https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/platinum-collection-build-your-own-bundle

3 for $9.99/5 for $14.99/7 for $19.99

Star Deal:Medieval dynasty-$21.29
https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/medieval-dynasty

The only games on that list that I have any experience with are Morrowind GOTY, Death Road to Canada, and Call of Juarez Gunslinger--but they're all fantastic games and would be worth $9.99 for the 3 of them if I didn't have them already.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Creaks is a good game.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Homefront is perfectly mediocre and Saints Row 4 isnt bad

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Surgeon Sim 2 was like if they came to the conclusion that what people wanted out of Surgeon Sim 1 was for it to be 200% more like Portal with wacky puzzles that needed to be solved before you do the surgery. Oh and hamfisted co-op.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

me and my friends had a blast with a co-op and they needed the wacky puzzles because once you figure out "fill the patient with mustard and go to town" the surgery bits become extremely samey

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Homefront is perfectly mediocre and Saints Row 4 isnt bad

the only thing I remember about homefront is that they gave a writing credit to John Milius for clout after asking him what he thought an invasion of North Korea would look like

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cowcaster posted:

me and my friends had a blast with a co-op and they needed the wacky puzzles because once you figure out "fill the patient with mustard and go to town" the surgery bits become extremely samey

We were hoping for more fleshing out of the surgery part instead of introducing new multiplayer minigames and poo poo to impede the surgery process which felt dumbed down and like you said very samey. Doesn't have to be like a realistic surgeon simulator or anything but it just wasn't what I wanted out of a sequel to Surgeon Simulator.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ah, well i never played the original, and the only reason i picked up the sequel is because we were fishing around for a 4 player game to fill the gap on our weekly videogame night after getting through overcooked, and it filled the spot beautifully for a bit

i think there was a big push by the devs advertising playing user made levels after you finish the campaign because it came with a level builder but i'd say definitely avoid those because all the ones we tried REALLY leaned into the whole "platforming puzzles using physics glitches like air surfing a tray by pulling it up into your feet in a very specific way that i think eventually got patched out as a bug". unless that's your kind of thing i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Rinkles posted:

Alternate take: the Ratchet games emulated (not the best or whatever, but very fun).

Tell me more