Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cptn_dr posted:

I got a Pixel Stand 2 a little while back, and while it makes noise when it's charging rapidly (there's a fan, which is noticable but not loud), but otherwise it's silent.

My Samsung double charger also has a fan but it seems to run only when fat charging the S22, not older phones or headphone. I've head some aliexpress chargers too and those had been silent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Burden posted:

Is there a way to make a VPN (wireguard in my case) turn on automatically once I leave my home wifi and then turn off once it connects back to my wifi? I have a Pixel 6A on Android 13 if that makes a difference.

5TonsOfFlax posted:

You should be able to do that with Tasker. I do something similar to turn on a hotspot when I connect to my car bluetooth for my kid's tablet.

https://kleinfelter.com/use-tasker-to-auto-enable-vpn-on-android

I'm using Tasker for this, but I just have a simple
Home Wifi not connected --> Wireguard on
Home Wifi connected --> Wireguard off

Not sure why that site has more complicated stuff with waits and connecting to foreign networks.
It's probably necessary for other VPNs, but Wireguard does not care about that and continues working if your connection changes.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I accidentally added SmartThings widget to my home screen and it didn't get added (?) and changed all my app icons to a hideous loving color (???) and I can't get them back to their normal color (Color Palette). Please help it's so ugly

It doesn't have anything to do with themes, I can't reset them to default that way. Themes notes me as using default

Edit: If I turn off Color Palette then it goes to normal. It's a conflict with Color palette causing color palette to display wrong app icon color. To sum: SmartThings widget somehow made my Color palette -> Apply palette to app icons misfunction. Now when "Apply palette to app icons" is turned on it defaults, regardless of palette, to a navy blue. It turned that color as soon as I added the widget so I know that it is the cause.

edit 2: clearing cache from root menu no effect, uninstalling SmartThings no effect. This blows

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 31, 2022

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Why is the Pixel 7 so slippery. I swear it wants to suicide dive bomb to the floor off every single surface I put it on. Half the time I hold it it feels like I'm holding a bar of soap that's going to just slide its way out of my hand if I put too much pressure on it.

Is there like, a transparent skin I can get for it? I got the lemongreen and I like the color, and I hate the feeling of cases. If such a thing doesn't exist, is there a minimalist kickstand case I can at least get for it then?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
someone turn on the hotsauce signal

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Have you heard of grip tape

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I gather that Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapters are still favoured, but are there any brand name adapters with 3.5mm + USB-C for simultaneous charging or do people just buy the cheapest reasonably rated nonsense pseudo-brand adapter from Amazon and hope it doesn't break after a month?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ishikabibble posted:

Why is the Pixel 7 so slippery. I swear it wants to suicide dive bomb to the floor off every single surface I put it on. Half the time I hold it it feels like I'm holding a bar of soap that's going to just slide its way out of my hand if I put too much pressure on it.

Is there like, a transparent skin I can get for it? I got the lemongreen and I like the color, and I hate the feeling of cases. If such a thing doesn't exist, is there a minimalist kickstand case I can at least get for it then?

You could get a dbrand skin, though they arent transparent

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

butt dickus posted:

someone turn on the hotsauce signal

You rang? :sludgepal:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Have you heard of grip tape

Uh-oh :can:

I maintain that it's a good solution, however. :eng101:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

ishikabibble posted:

I got the Spigen Ultra Hybrid, but not sure if it'd be grippy enough for you.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is anyone else getting Assistant notifications that tomorrow is New Year's Day? I got the same thing in the evening on Christmas day.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

hooah posted:

Is anyone else getting Assistant notifications that tomorrow is New Year's Day? I got the same thing in the evening on Christmas day.

I assume it's because Google calendar has tomorrow as "New Year's Day (substitute)"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

hooah posted:

It's the end of Daylight Savings Year, you need to turn your calendar back one day.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

pairofdimes posted:

I assume it's because Google calendar has tomorrow as "New Year's Day (substitute)"

Lol will you look at that. I wonder why they chose "substitute" rather than the usual "observed".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume it's that: observed is when you celebrate it a different day, for things like Queen's Birthday, substitute is when it was on a weekend and you still celebrate the event on the weekend but you get a public holiday on the weekday so you don't get cheated out of a holiday? Or maybe observed is only used for religious holidays and substitute is for secular ones.

Except here in Australia Google calendar has "New Year's Day" on the 1st and "Day off for New Year's Day" on the 2nd. Maybe it's just local nomenclature.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

e: I misread some earlier posts and this would have been lovely in context now

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No one brought up Qi2 yet?

https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/3/23538131/qi2-wireless-charging-apple-samsung

In a rare move of opening interoperability (likely to hasten the day when they can eliminate the charging port altogether) Apple is working through the WPC to essentially bring MagSafe charging to an open standard called Qi2.

Qi2 will not only have magnetic alignment built into the standard, but more robust and standardized power profiles. It will start out going up to 15w but they have plans to go beyond that.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That would be great. I'm not a big Apple fan but Magsafe is fantastic.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 5, 2023

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've never used magsafe so I don't know what I'm missing!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've never used magsafe so I don't know what I'm missing!
did you have a nexus 5?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

bull3964 posted:

In a rare move of opening interoperability (likely to hasten the day when they can eliminate the charging port altogether) Apple is working through the WPC to essentially bring MagSafe charging to an open standard called Qi2.

Qi2 will not only have magnetic alignment built into the standard, but more robust and standardized power profiles. It will start out going up to 15w but they have plans to go beyond that.

So Apple gets to keep that sweet licensing money rolling in after removing the Lightning port and making hardware vendors pay to have their chargers "authenticated".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Merkinman posted:

So Apple gets to keep that sweet licensing money rolling in after removing the Lightning port and making hardware vendors pay to have their chargers "authenticated".

They already do. So nothing really charges there.

Their PPDE isn't open, so you have to pay to charge it past 5w.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Oh this is nice.

I love MagSafe on my iPhone and would love to see it on Android too.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Jan update to my P7 has made a night and day difference to the fingerprint reader. I've not had a failed read all day and previously it was 50/50 if it would work or not

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My Pixel 7 still doesn't see the January update. Bah.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hooah posted:

My Pixel 7 still doesn't see the January update. Bah.

Something is going funny in update land.

My Pixel 5 that I'm still hanging on to still hadn't seen the December update yet (I'm by far and away not the only person to have that issue either). The Pixel 7 I have pulled down Jan right away but my P7P didn't. I ended up just sideloading the OTAs on to all of them just to be done with it, but I really wonder what's going on. There didn't seem to be any commonality in carrier either.

I finally got A13 on my Fold 4, but I had to force it. I still had a verizon sim lying around for a dead account and I popped it in there. Even though my Fold 4 didn't have a sim in it, it seems as though it knew it was last associated with T-Mobile and therefor the update wasn't approved yet. Once I popped in the dead verizon sim and rebooted, it pulled down the update right away.

Goddamn carriers need to get out of the way when it comes to phone updates.

In other unrelated news, Lenovo is making a Moto branded Thinkphone.

The only really standout thing is they are making it out of Kevlar which harkens back to the days of the older Moto droids which I quite like and Lenovo is actually making an update commitment (though not as good as others in the industry, but still progress for them.)

Otherwise it's a 6.6" 2k OLED with a SD8+ Gen 1 (no Gen 2 eh?), 5000mAh battery, wireless charging and like 68w wired charging. No price has been announced yet. Oh, there's a bunch of "integration" features with thinkpads like the ability to wirelessly transfer files and poo poo, but I don't think that stuff is real value add. My thought are is that they are going to end up pricing it too high since they are looking for corporate customers completely missing the fact that everyone is BYOD these days. At $599 or so I would say it could make a compelling alternative to the Pixel 7 if you wanted to trade cameras for durability and battery life, but they are probably going to end up pricing it stupidly at like $800 or $900.

It's actually a pretty attractive looking device, and could probably be something worth recommending if it was price right, but I have no faith that will happen.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 5, 2023

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hmmm, my Pixel 5a which I got used on Swappa, using on Fi, is on the November update.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My Pixel 4a is on the December update.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Hmmm, my Pixel 5a which I got used on Swappa, using on Fi, is on the November update.

Yeah, something is going on and it seems to be scattered between phones and carriers, though mostly I think I've seen T-Mobile and Fi so it may in fact be T-Mobile causing issues here.

That said, I hadn't had my SIM in my Pixel 5 since the last time I factory reset it so I don't know how it could still be associated with T-Mobile unless google is storing that on the back end.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

The only really standout thing is they are making it out of Kevlar which harkens back to the days of the older Moto droids which I quite like and Lenovo is actually making an update commitment (though not as good as others in the industry, but still progress for them.)

Otherwise it's a 6.6" 2k OLED with a SD8+ Gen 1 (no Gen 2 eh?), 5000mAh battery, wireless charging and like 68w wired charging. No price has been announced yet. Oh, there's a bunch of "integration" features with thinkpads like the ability to wirelessly transfer files and poo poo, but I don't think that stuff is real value add. My thought are is that they are going to end up pricing it too high since they are looking for corporate customers completely missing the fact that everyone is BYOD these days. At $599 or so I would say it could make a compelling alternative to the Pixel 7 if you wanted to trade cameras for durability and battery life, but they are probably going to end up pricing it stupidly at like $800 or $900.

It's actually a pretty attractive looking device, and could probably be something worth recommending if it was price right, but I have no faith that will happen.

Huh just looked it up and it's not too shabby. Some of the enterprise features are nice for people very specifically in that area.

Can't wait to see how bad the cameras suck (drat you Lenovo/Moto!)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BonoMan posted:

Huh just looked it up and it's not too shabby. Some of the enterprise features are nice for people very specifically in that area.

Can't wait to see how bad the cameras suck (drat you Lenovo/Moto!)

Honestly, I want this blown up to 8.4 inches and give us a proper ThinkTab. Hell, they could use the Y700 Legion as a base.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 5, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lenovo are cowards if they don't put a nub in the ThinkPhone.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

eXXon posted:

Lenovo are cowards if they don't put a nub in the ThinkPhone.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

When I take a screenshot there's a little UI that pops up that lets you edit the image to crop it and other simple stuff. How do you get to that UI later? Like if I want to edit an arbitrary image in my files or a screenshot I took a few minutes ago.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Find it in screenshots in google photos then edit, crop/markup

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

bull3964 posted:

They already do. So nothing really charges there.

Their PPDE isn't open, so you have to pay to charge it past 5w.

Yes that's my point. Qi2 won't change anything with regards to iPhone interoperability.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Dammit, my Pixel 7 is what, 3 months old? And it's already got a handful of light scratches on the screen. This did not happen with my Pixel 5. Did they change the glass to be more shatter-resistant and so less resistant to scratching?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i've been breaking into your house and scratching your phone while you sleep

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
You bastard! "butt dickus" indeed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I got the January update on my Pixel 6 today and so far it seems fine. Maybe the fingerprint reader is a little faster and more reliable, but it really hasn't been an issue for me in a long time so it's hard to tell.

bull3964 posted:

Motorola support after being acquired by Lenovo has been so astonishingly bad they would really have to convince they are handling it differently for me to consider buying another phone from them. My One 5G Ace is supposed to get Android 12 still, but is also supposed to leave support at the end of this month. And their every-other-month security updates are frequently late, sometimes by a whole month. I've been mildly trolling the Motorola support forums about it for like a year.