Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I have devised a new nasty cheese strategy for dragons and felt like sharing it. It combines two separate kind of exploits I guess.

We were just discussing resist magic on a dragon to lower its resistances and I thought what if I combine that with another favorite of mine. Enter the level one mage spell: blind.

Blind is not coded to turn a blue circle npc/creature hostile unless they fail their save. So you can cast it all day on someone until they fail, and they only go hostile when they have failed. All the dragons in SoA (not ToB) I believe have a chance to use this strategy on them.

Using the resist magic trick combined with blind lets you blind them in only a few casts because you aren't fighting spell resistance and saves the entire time. Dragons are not immune to blind and are kind of helpless once you blind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Rythian posted:

And in a later patch they added some extra stuff:

The weapon import was changed again at some point. Malaaq now has the Sword of Chaos again, and the imported weapon is placed in the room with the Sewage Golem on the 1st floor.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

I was randomly browsing the BG wiki, as one does, and came across this:

quote:

If a cleric were to cast the level 7 spell Resurrection on a mummy, the mummy is transformed or "resurrected" back to a regular person, a commoner, who may say "Wha—?! Where am I? What has happened?
:aaaaa:
Is this actually a thing?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Please tell me this is real. I would love to learn something new about this game 30 years in.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I used the console to spawn a MUMMY01.cre into a random high-level save, and this is what happened. The commoner disappears after a few seconds.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
what the gently caress

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

gently caress

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Holy poo poo. I'm flabbergasted.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

That's amazing.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Holy poo poo

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

That's wild.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
20 years later and there's still stuff I didn't know about these games :stare:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

lmao

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Holy poo poo. I thought learning that Arrows of Detonation can't miss from the Ironman thread was going to be the last new thing for a while, but it took two weeks for something else. Amazing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

...it's so beautiful.

(Though the thing I've always wanted to try in tabletop in my more shithead moments was to cast True Resurrection on someone's dragonskin armor.)

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
So what's the lore reason that doesn't work on skeletons or vampires or whatever?

Or maybe it does?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Zephro posted:

So what's the lore reason that doesn't work on skeletons or vampires or whatever?

Or maybe it does?

Maybe it's because mummies are specifically ritualistically prepared for the next life

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I do remember this being a thing. I swear it came up in this thread at some point in the past few years. Or maybe I'm remembering threads from other forums from like 15 years ago. I've been playing bg off and on since it came out so my memory is all hosed

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

I bet I have over 1,500 hours in these games since they were released and I have never heard of this. I wonder what else there is to be discovered?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Zephro posted:

Or maybe it does?

I'm not sure about 2nd edition, but in 5th edition Resurrection specifically doesn't work on a creature that has become undead. I think True Resurrection does, however.

In these games I suspect this is just included as an Easter egg. If you want a lore reason it's always just "the spirit wasn't willing or able"

E: here's the 2nd edition spell description

quote:

The priest is able to restore life and complete strength to any living creature, including elves, by bestowing the resurrection spell. The creature can have been dead up to 10 years per level of the priest casting the spell. Thus, a 19th-level priest can resurrect the bones of a creature dead up to 190 years. The creature, upon surviving a resurrection survival check, is immediately restored to full hit points and can perform strenuous activity. The spell cannot bring back a creature that has reached its allotted life span (i.e., died of natural causes). Casting this spell makes it impossible for the priest to cast further spells or engage in combat until he has had one day of bed rest for each experience level or Hit Die of the creature brought back to life. The caster ages three years upon casting this spell.

The reverse, destruction, causes the victim of the spell to be instantly dead and turned to dust. A wish spell or equivalent is required for recovery. Destruction requires a touch, either in combat or otherwise, and does not age the caster. In addition, the victim is allowed a saving throw (with a -4 penalty). If the save is successful, the victim receives 8d6 points of damage instead.

The material components of the spell are the priest's religious symbol and holy water (unholy water for the reverse spell). The DM may reduce the chances of successful resurrection if little of the creature's remains are available.

So it shouldn't work on any undead. Mummies are probably not a great target for the spell even if it did, given they're more likely to have died of old age than a lich or vampire or whatever. Wraiths etc wouldn't work because it's not the bones.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 9, 2023

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Apparently you can also start casting it before death and it'll take effect on the corpse. This also works on enemies, allowing you to kill them again for double (or triple etc) xp. Especially effective if you use Raise Dead and bring them back at 1hp

Gutrot
Dec 17, 2004

you're*
What in tarnation.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

sebzilla posted:

Apparently you can also start casting it before death and it'll take effect on the corpse. This also works on enemies, allowing you to kill them again for double (or triple etc) xp. Especially effective if you use Raise Dead and bring them back at 1hp

Can you do this with something like a dragon that has massive xp value, or does it have to be a humanoid?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

Can you do this with something like a dragon that has massive xp value, or does it have to be a humanoid?

You certainly can, the video I saw was of Firkraag

https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgat...nt=share_button

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

bike tory posted:

I'm not sure about 2nd edition, but in 5th edition Resurrection specifically doesn't work on a creature that has become undead. I think True Resurrection does, however.

In these games I suspect this is just included as an Easter egg. If you want a lore reason it's always just "the spirit wasn't willing or able"

E: here's the 2nd edition spell description

So it shouldn't work on any undead. Mummies are probably not a great target for the spell even if it did, given they're more likely to have died of old age than a lich or vampire or whatever. Wraiths etc wouldn't work because it's not the bones.

It's in the description for mummies in 2e that the edge case for resurrection comes up, apparently

Edit: see here
http://dedpihto.narod.ru/games/Monsters1/MM00220.htm

monstrous manual posted:

A resurrection spell will turn the creature into a normal human (a fighter at 7th level ability) with the memories of its former life; or will have no effect if the mummy is older than the maximum age the priest can resurrect. A wish will also restore a mummy to human form but a remove curse will not.

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 9, 2023

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

sebzilla posted:

You certainly can, the video I saw was of Firkraag

https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgat...nt=share_button

This is hilarious and something I would have never thought of, but now want to try as soon as I can.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I actually knew about this one - I played a disgusting amount of 2e. I didn't know that it was programmed into this game and I've never tried it, but I remembered that mummies could be resurrected in 2e. Didn't work on vampires or liches or spectres or any other undead that I can recall, but mummies yes. Not sure about greater mummies.

They should have made the resurrected one a recruitable NPC.

Edit: I will add that I forgot that, in 2e, it requires the remains of the fallen. I think that they changed that later. I knew that Raise Dead required a mostly whole corpse, but I thought that Resurrection would work as long as the deceased was willing, survived his res survival roll and hadn't been dead too long.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 10, 2023

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Is there any loot during Neera's quest worth having? I just killed Kangaxx with no deaths, about to go do Firkraag, and I'm pretty sure I can go murder Bodhi and get the Lanthorn after that. Just don't want to miss any vital loot.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Nothing exceptional from what I recall but if you choose the peaceful approach there are merchants who sell a shitload of high-end potions and wands.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Neera's quest gets you the Dagger of Venom from BG1, but you're probably so high-power already that it's not exactly a big deal.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

There are a few decent items for mages too. Robe of the neutral archmagi, another robe that I can't remember what it does. Not really endgame loot so I don't think you'll lose much.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I used to play the hell out of BG I and II years ago, and modded the hell out of it too. In a recent fit of nostalgia, I picked up the EE versions, and now I'm wondering, what mods are out there for EE, and where are they these days?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Fighting Trousers posted:

I used to play the hell out of BG I and II years ago, and modded the hell out of it too. In a recent fit of nostalgia, I picked up the EE versions, and now I'm wondering, what mods are out there for EE, and where are they these days?

The tweaks anthology is probably the first thing you want ro check out. It replaces all the Infinity Engine game tweak packs from Gibberings 3 (make sure to check out the readme for descriptions). Beyond that, others will be able to give you a better idea of mods. Aside from quality of life fixes from the tweak pack, I don't run the game with mods.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Same place, https://www.gibberlings3.net/ often the same mods, except updated for BGees

e: what he said

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Same mods, same places, mostly. Although some of them have gotten updates when they were ported to EE.

Most all the various tweak packs for all the Infinity Engine games have been bundled into one mod, Tweaks Anthology. Pretty convenient, choose a game in weidu and choose the components.

Gibberlings 3 and Sorcerors Place are the two largest sites, I think.

E: lol, what they said

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gibberlings 3, Sorceror's Place, and the Beamdog Baldur's Gate modding forums are pretty much how I find every mod I use. Oh, and Spellhold Studios.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Rappaport posted:

I used the console to spawn a MUMMY01.cre into a random high-level save, and this is what happened. The commoner disappears after a few seconds.

Bro wtf :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

v1ld posted:

2e feels refreshingly simple after PF and even 3/3.5e from IWD2 - it's nice not to have too many choices.

v1ld posted:

I much preferred Fallout-like active level up systems with perks and such vs the more passive level ups of 2e D&D back then. So many modern rpgs and 3e/PF use that approach too where each level is an active decision. But it's nice to be back in 2e where I spent my time picking the build at start and now it's mostly passive improvements at every step. Quite liking it - spend more time focusing on the battles and outfitting than on build design.

PF:K was exhausting. Even if I was to just go with the flow and pick something at each level, there are so many choices to deal with at each level.

Off topic, but I wanted to laugh at myself from a little over a year ago.

BG1 with SCS got me back into CRPGs - and is one of my favorite games ever now for many reasons. I picked up Wrath of the Righteous in a Christmas sale, spent a day picking some builds off the web as is usual and liked the game so much I decided to go back to Kingmaker, a game I wrote 2 mods for - one of which was a bunch of non-trivial work, but never even completed Act 1 of.

Looked up some builds again, finished Act 1, had enough of a blast that I decided to respec one of the companions into a build I did for myself. That was so fun I've now installed the (amazing) Call of the Wild mod and have spent over a week reading up on Pathfinder 1e stuff - including buying a couple of Paizo PDFs though it's all up on d20pfsrd.com - a website I have read a lot of. I've also subbed to excellent channels like the guy who made the video below, for critical analysis of deep questions of a D&D nature.

Which is all to say that BG1 has gatewayed me into ... I don't know what yet. But I hope to restart PF:K this weekend, though only after deciding I should only do companion builds after I encounter them in the game. It's taking too long as is.

This is some cool analysis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfEPrNJ6ins