Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

wizard2 posted:

yeah, I gave him $75 to put my monster in the game lol

Which monster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'd like to think Nintendo learned its lesson after the wild swing in popularity from WiiU to Switch and that they'll continue iterating on the Switch in perpetuity. But at the end of the day it's still Nintendo, so who the gently caress knows what will happen.

This time they did home console and handheld 2 in 1. The next generation of Nintendo hardware are going to be wild swings, like a wearable with physical media only and an arcade cabinet with subscription dlc.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Horizon Zero Dawn is the most 8/10 game I ever played, had a good time with it, played start to finish, will never ever want to replay again, it's decent

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
I don't think a game you'd never want to replay again deserves 8/10, esp when you cap it off with "its decent"

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Potassium Problems posted:

I don't think a game you'd never want to replay again deserves 8/10, esp when you cap it off with "its decent"
Modern gaming ftw.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Mega64 posted:

Which monster?

it was a fire elf called Disco Inferno

he was taking donations for this specific sort of thing and I ran it by him and he said yes. so I sent an email with pictures of D&D fire elementals and like, Leisure Suit Larry, Harry du Bois, Jimmy T, and said, "I just want to support your work. nobody is out there doing what you do, you figure it out the design, surprise me" it was great

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Horizon is the easiest game to poo poo on because the demographic are all smart people who never touch the internet or reddit or twitter

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

I don't think a game you'd never want to replay again deserves 8/10

More proof mario sunshine is a 9/10

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Not every game should be designed to be replayable over and over again. That's asinine and ironically enough a very "modern gaming" mentality

Replayability is going to vary depending on the goals of the developer/genre, and isn't always a factor in how "good" something is. Replayability could be executed well to help improve a game or it could be used as padding which ultimately hurts the experience, it's not a black and white thing imo

Tae posted:

Horizon is the easiest game to poo poo on because the demographic are all smart people who never touch the internet or reddit or twitter

Yeah this convo took on a bizarre "fuckin normies" angle didn't it? Game isn't even on switch. Let's talk about switch games

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 6, 2023

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm playing kirby, it's fun!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Hey, now that preview videos dropped this new fire emblem game is looking pretty cool, isn't it? It seems to deliberately capture a lot of the trappings of the more classic entries down to the menu aesthetics, weapon triangle etc

I'm going to wait reviews to drop but I'm pretty sure I'll be picking it up on launch. Hated hree houses though so we'll see

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I can firmly say that I never want to play any RPG twice, unless it was truly amazing and its been ten years since I played it last.

I mean poo poo Disco Elysium changed me as a person and I don't plan on playing it all the way through a second time.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

KingSlime posted:

Not every game should be designed to be replayable over and over again. That's asinine and ironically enough a very "modern gaming" mentality
No one said anything about playing a game over and over again. The poster in question literally said that they “never ever want to replay it again” and the person that responded to them said that that’s a weird thing to say about a game you allegedly enjoyed.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

American McGay posted:

No one said anything about playing a game over and over again. The poster in question literally said that they “never ever want to replay it again” and the person that responded to them said that that’s a weird thing to say about a game you allegedly enjoyed.

it's this, I replay fairly linear games all the time but I'd never rate a game highly if I never ever wanted to play it again once I finished it

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Great game. Loved every second. That's why I sold it instantly after I beat it.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I don't see what's odd about enjoying a new video game exactly one time. that's like most new movies for me now these days. :shrug:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

I still stand by what I said though, I have played a ton of 8/10 and 9/10 games that I would never dream of playing again whether due to how long they are, or maybe I'm interested in other stuff, or maybe they've been made irrelevant due to a newer similar experience that plays or feels better

They've been making games for what 50 years now? There's a lot of really really good games out there, an 8/10 is a great but not excellent game imo. Trying to quantify opinions on stuff like this is always next to impossible though

wizard2 posted:

I don't see what's odd about enjoying a new video game exactly one time. that's like most new movies for me now these days. :shrug:

Maybe they have a storage unit jammed with a massive stack of every excellent old VHS DVD and Blu-ray movie they watched, some people do stuff like that

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 6, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Playing a game more than once is for the unemployed, the poor/kids, and people that gamed before Steam existed and the market exploded.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

it's this, I replay fairly linear games all the time but I'd never rate a game highly if I never ever wanted to play it again once I finished it

my time with Dragon Quest XI was the best experience I had with a JRPG but I have zero desire to go back because it wouldnt have the same magic for me a second time

Im not trying to be abrasive or trollin, I just think the responses to this are interesting bc maybe Im missing something

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

wizard2 posted:

my time with Dragon Quest XI was the best experience I had with a JRPG but I have zero desire to go back because it wouldnt have the same magic for me a second time

Im not trying to be abrasive or trollin, I just think the responses to this are interesting bc maybe Im missing something

I think they're just wrong and doubling down

Mister Facetious posted:

Playing a game more than once is for the unemployed, the poor/kids, and people that gamed before Steam existed and the market exploded.

It honestly is overwhelming how much good stuff has come out over the last 15 or so years even if you have very niche interests

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 6, 2023

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

An Actual Princess posted:

Great game. Loved every second. That's why I sold it instantly after I beat it.

Literally my feelings on xenoblade 1

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Xenoblade 1 was rhe best game i played in 2022, but theres no real reason to replay it. I think thats normal tbh, especially for 100 hour rpgs that took like 3 months to get thru

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

KingSlime posted:

I think they're just wrong and doubling down

you're bein pretty weird, putting words in my mouth about replayability and now this. I don't care if other people enjoy a game exactly one time or a hundred times, but saying "8/10 never ever going to play it again it was decent" sounds strange

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

KingSlime posted:

Sidenote: I'm still loving my third party nyx joy cons, they feel incredibly good and solid. Might get another pair soon

Do you mean these ones? How's the gyro on em?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I loved Killer7, and have zero desire to play it again. The game is wonderful, but I wouldn't call it 'fun'.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

you're bein pretty weird, putting words in my mouth about replayability and now this. I don't care if other people enjoy a game exactly one time or a hundred times, but saying "8/10 never ever going to play it again it was decent" sounds strange

Hmmm then you didn't explain why it sounds strange to you and plenty of people understand the concept of "fantastic game, don't want to play it ever again" so yeah I'm not sure I'm following along. Either way, we all have different barometers for what we want out of games is all I'm saying

EvilJoven posted:

Do you mean these ones? How's the gyro on em?

You may have dropped the link. I don't see anything

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I loved Killer7, and have zero desire to play it again. The game is wonderful, but I wouldn't call it 'fun'.

Maybe I just play too many or too few games, but I have zero desire to play most games including some of my most favorite. There is just too much new stuff to check out

Replaying something like GTA III today sounds like a nightmare

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If you don't replay it then you never beat Killer8 mode, which means you basically haven't finished it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Actually replaying gtav sounds pretty lovely too but I definitely loved my first experience with it, top tier gaming

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I’d say “great game but don’t want to replay” is in a different category than 8/10. But game grade inflation is dumb regardless. We’re basically playing on a 5 point scale.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So in order for game to be good you want to have to play it a second time? Lol okay.

There’s plenty of good games I’ve played more than once. There’s also some I haven’t. You guys are loving weird about poo poo.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Like Persona 5 is probably an all timer for me. It also took me over 100 hours to beat. There’s a lot of games out there to play and enjoy. I may not revisit it any time in the near future but that doesn’t make it any less good.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
oh yeah I officially became a Library Gamer today and am currently playing FOR FREE the very "8/10 I probably wont beat this" Bravely Default 2

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

KingSlime posted:

You may have dropped the link. I don't see anything

https://nyxigaming.com/products/nyxi-hyperion-milk-style-meteor-light-wireless-joy-pad-for-switch-switch-oled

I'm looking for replacement joycons that are more ergonomic but still have gyro.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

man nurse posted:

So in order for game to be good you want to have to play it a second time? Lol okay.

no one said this

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

man nurse posted:

Like Persona 5 is probably an all timer for me. It also took me over 100 hours to beat. There’s a lot of games out there to play and enjoy. I may not revisit it any time in the near future but that doesn’t make it any less good.
Please for the love of God comment on the actual discussion lmfao.

“I may not revisit it anytime soon” is a wholly different statement than “I never ever want to play it again”. People are commenting on the absurdity of the latter.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Yep, so mine are based off of these, but an older version I think. The comfort is excellent, I'm very happy with that!

The gyro is a little bit weaker than the stock joy cons, I think there's a tiny little lag which is mostly workable but I was bit disappointed in that regard. It's fine though, and it's possible that they upgraded the gyro in the new version

That's actually the main reason I'm thinking of buying another pair, looking at the meter light one next. If they did improve the gyro, I will be very very happy. As is. I'm still loving my current pair and highly recommend them

American McGay posted:

“I never ever want to play it again”. People are commenting on the absurdity of the latter.

Oh my god is this really what you all latched on to? Seems like everybody else understood the point just fine.

geez let's just move on

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 6, 2023

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
whats absurd about it? I dont follow

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This is a lame discussion, and I never want to play it again

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Ugh! It's another crap Playstation game post! Rubbish....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
jumping flash is better than mario