Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Invictus posted:

Campfire Cooking in Another World, and Endo and Kobayashi's Latest on the Tsundere Villainess are the two I'm mostly anticipating will be done well as far as adaptations I'm interested in go, based on their previews. Endo and Kobayashi's is a solid take on the typical otome game setting, and the characters and humor are excellent. Campfire Cooking is a chill isekai; salaryman gets accidentally summoned, his ability is Literally Just Amazon, he befriends Fenrir the legendary wolf, Fenrir becomes his familiar in exchange for food, they become traveling nomads. I expect a lot of highly detailed cooking since that's mostly what he does, while Fenrir and Sui take care of combat situations. Sui is such a great little baby slime that they got their own spinoff series, Sui's Big Adventure. Would love to see some of that get adapted as an ova or something.

In the meantime, MAPPA is posting a Youtube cooking show where the main character's VA cooks for the rest of the cast, which is really committing to the bit. :v: Here he is preparing Salmon Meuniere for Sui's VAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqE49aaoxEI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Southern Cassowary posted:

Watched the first episode of Spy Classroom. Thought it was pretty mediocre. It's not much to look at and the writing is pretty straightforward, just feels like they're trying to take a plot from point a to point b. The angle on the spies all being washouts and the teacher being a natural who sucks at teaching and where that goes is kind of funny. I think there's room for this to grow into something now that they've set up the premise and can focus on more character development, but I'm not really expecting that. I'll give it another episode or two but, eh.

i looked at the PV and the dichotomy between 'they are spies!' and them all seeming to be bright chipper factory standard Eccentric Anime Girls gave me the impression that there isn't going to be a single original idea in the whole thing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

was pleasantly surprised by how actually nice the animation in magical revolution was. lead was fun too.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Patware posted:

i looked at the PV and the dichotomy between 'they are spies!' and them all seeming to be bright chipper factory standard Eccentric Anime Girls gave me the impression that there isn't going to be a single original idea in the whole thing

I think this is a good call, I'm just doing a deeper dive this season to see if anything sticks out as surprisingly enjoyable. Haven't really seen anything that's stuck thus far outside of Tomo-chan.

If people keep saying good things about Magical Revolution I'll probably check it out.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wait, are there two shows in the same season that are called Revenger? How? That's not even a word.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Disney bought the word avenger and nobody else can use it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
These are certified Avongears!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sindai posted:

they were too late

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_GDw3CFNLU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Sindai posted:

Did they buy the word marvel

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Tales of Woe posted:

they were too late

Way too late :britain:

(disney probably own that as well)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Agronox posted:

new trolling idea: world's biggest tomo-chan fan

Pretty sure that guy used to post here.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Patware posted:

answer carefully captain..........

Sakurazuka posted:

Jun is the chaff
I trust this is sufficient, milord

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In the meantime, MAPPA is posting a Youtube cooking show where the main character's VA cooks for the rest of the cast, which is really committing to the bit. :v: Here he is preparing Salmon Meuniere for Sui's VAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqE49aaoxEI
lol that's fantastic

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Onimai is, uh, *really* well animated. But the sister is kind of a terrible person for inducing gender dysphoria on her brother no?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

New Trigun sneak peek.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jrKwkYjhCE

I'm :lol:ing at the climax of Vash getting tossed a single round of loving .22 LR to resolve the impending doom.

That explains why the bore of his gun looks so tiny but it certainly a downgrade from the original's .45 Colt even if the gun looks beefy enough to handle .22 Magnum. Then again, given Vash's pacifism, preference for fighting non-lethally, and his only kill from the anime was a point-blank range, I guess .22 caliber is adequate for most of his shenanigans but it makes the gun look less impressive.

EDIT: So apparently, .22 LR cannot be safely fired in a .22 Magnum gun which means Vash's gun is chambered for .22 LR and thus practically a pea shooter; yes .22 LR is still capable of being lethal but it's a pea shooter compared to the original. At least it should shoot softly out of a gun that massive.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 6, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, Vash's gun is extremely weird for plot-related reasons that maybe shouldn't be discussed here (this being a new series based on an old manga, with all the attendant ambiguities over spoiler etiquette), so it wouldn't be all that surprising if it can do a lot more with a lot less than any conventional firearm.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

imo to cover the proper bases, talking about stuff from the old anime is fine, but tag anything that was in the manga that was not in the anime just in case

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Onimai is, uh, *really* well animated. But the sister is kind of a terrible person for inducing gender dysphoria on her brother no?
my understanding is the later manga gets into the idea that he had gender identity issues to begin with and she was trying to help him. this is based off someone linking me a single wiki page mind

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Nitrousoxide posted:

"What's an 'ethics panel'? :science:"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Was quite surprised to learn that Tite Kubo didn't do the character designs for Revenger (seeing as he's been known to do designs for other people's work before). Those long faces looked very familiar.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

genericnick posted:

Wait, are there two shows in the same season that are called Revenger? How? That's not even a word.

There's an pun in the first episode where the typical Urobuchi duplicitous fancypants talks about how their business is a 利便屋 (riben-ya) which is an old timey way to refer to a odd jobs/jack of all trades type of operation that just so happens to sound vaguely like "Revenger"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It is kind of amusing how that Urobuchi archetype has gradually moved from being the arch-enemy of the protagonist to the ideal boyfriend of the protagonist. You can almost track the progression story by story.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tity Kubo

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's been forever since I read Tomo-chan but it's pretty inoffensive atm

OniMai is about as expected. Quality is relatively higher than I expected, but it's only the first ep.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Watched the first episode of MagiRevo and it's already making some very smart adaptation choices versus the manga, like actually giving Al motivation for what he does instead of making him look like a generic otoge villainess antagonist fiancé, or introducing Tilty immediately.

I know it's originally an LN so I wonder whether this was an issue of the manga making weird decisions, or whether it was faithful to the LN and the anime adaptation decided to bake later reveals into the narrative right from the start to give everyone more depth.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Edward IV posted:

New Trigun sneak peek.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jrKwkYjhCE

I'm :lol:ing at the climax of Vash getting tossed a single round of loving .22 LR to resolve the impending doom.

That explains why the bore of his gun looks so tiny but it certainly a downgrade from the original's .45 Colt even if the gun looks beefy enough to handle .22 Magnum. Then again, given Vash's pacifism, preference for fighting non-lethally, and his only kill from the anime was a point-blank range, I guess .22 caliber is adequate for most of his shenanigans but it makes the gun look less impressive.

I know they kinda made a point of recasting the Japanese cast, but if they don't at least get JYB back for the dub, I'll be cross.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I read the first couple of chapters of the Iceblade Sorcerer manga, and it seemed like a bland but pleasant story about a mildly traumatised ex-child soldier going to school to get a bit of his childhood back. It also had a pleasingly good face game. Then I watched the first episode of the anime, expecting it to be much the same. It, erm, wasn't. It's got the same general structure and plot beats, but either the manga adapted the hell out of the original light novel or the anime completely butchered it, because every adaptation decision regarding pacing, event structuring, aesthetic choices, and so on was drastically different and drastically worse. Like, it didn't even feel like they were squeezing chapters together to churn out content fast - it was the same stuff presented in vastly divergent ways.

As an example, here's the class teacher's introduction in the manga, and here's the same scene in the anime. Yes, these are apparently the same character:

Also, look at the compositing between the background of that anime screenshot and the character in the foreground, ew ew ew. It's really not a pretty show.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm intrigued by a fair number of shows this season since I follow a bunch of the manga.

Handyman Saito is a decent manga, has some really, really good jokes, and is mostly about a normal dude finding a place he belongs rather than becoming an overpowered mc. I'm curious to see how the adaptation will go, there is some great comedy but there really isnt a whole lot of material total to adapt in the first place. though it did go into a longer storyline at one point that was...okay I guess. The main party is a great group of characters. I'm hopeful for the adaptation.

The preview for the "general fired from the demon king's army" did not really give me much confidence in an adaptation of it. the manga is fine and silly, the one thing that can save it from the seemingly terrible animation is good joke timing, which I'm not confident what they've shown will pull off.

Campfire Cooking in Another World, and Endo and Kobayashi's Latest on the Tsundere Villainess are the two I'm mostly anticipating will be done well as far as adaptations I'm interested in go, based on their previews. Endo and Kobayashi's is a solid take on the typical otome game setting, and the characters and humor are excellent. Campfire Cooking is a chill isekai; salaryman gets accidentally summoned, his ability is Literally Just Amazon, he befriends Fenrir the legendary wolf, Fenrir becomes his familiar in exchange for food, they become traveling nomads. I expect a lot of highly detailed cooking since that's mostly what he does, while Fenrir and Sui take care of combat situations. Sui is such a great little baby slime that they got their own spinoff series, Sui's Big Adventure. Would love to see some of that get adapted as an ova or something.

of course, hell loving yeah Farmland Saga, I'm both excited for it getting adapted and also excited for discourse

Tomochan...yeah sure why not. If they cut a lot, lot, lot, looooooot of the chaff, it should be good fun.

:hmmyes:

Captain Invictus posted:

I've never seen Trigun, but the previews for this new one look really good.

Nier is the sort of thing where I cannot fathom them doing it justice since the game did things specifically using the medium of gaming for some of its most effective moments. I'll sit at the sidelines and hear reports on how people are liking it and whether it does anything interesting, I guess. One suggestion I heard was adapting each alphabet ending as a credits sequence, which I think would be a good gimmick but a lot of work.

:confused:

Captain Invictus posted:

I've never seen Trigun.

:stare:

You have an '05 reg date. What the gently caress is this poo poo?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
of all the things to dunk on invictus for. you choose him not having seen one old man anime that was popular in the 2000s

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I had seen precisely zero Trigun as recently as two hours ago

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i remember being shown a few episodes of trigun a long time ago and only vaguely remember anything about it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I watched trigun right up until the final episode.

Then I said "I'll watch this tomorrow" and I never did

I've since forgotten enough that I'd want to do a rewatch instead of just jumping into the final episode and I've never felt strongly enough about a rewatch to do it

A tragic victim of my short attention span. At the time at least I thought it was very good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
trigun's fun. wouldn't say it's like, a must watch, but if you're into its vibes it's as good a show as it always was and i think the 90s anime will still be worth a look after stampede is out

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

of all the things to dunk on invictus for. you choose him not having seen one old man anime that was popular in the 2000s

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ok yeah magirevo has the best first episode of any narou anime i've seen

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
OniMai: This anime is weird. On one hand, it's very well animated (The ED in particular fetures very fluid movement on the characters), and the cinematography is great. On the other hand, this is an anime of culture made by the Studio that animated Mushoku Tensei. You could see their influence from the many cultural moment in the episode.

It's really good. But it's not something you can watch with your parents or watch in public.

Edit: Its not something you can watch with your parents or watch in public.

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 6, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
well i'm glad to know it is something i can watch with my parents or even watch in public

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Oh crap! I forgot to write "not".

The anime is not something you can watch with your parents or watch in public.

Let me edit it quick

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's too late. i've already watched it with my parents, and watched in public

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Onimai is a comedy laser targeted at me and my very juvenile sense of humor and nothing in the episode crossed my personal line, so it's probably got a season pass from me barring just absolutely smashing itself in the face somewhere in the middle. I feel like the best description I have of it from trying to describe it to a pal is "what if original-series Washu was your little sister, and just as unethical/scandalous, but played as a heartwarming??? comedy". The lead plays straight man to this insanity very well without feeling two-dimensional about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Colonel posted:

it's too late. i've already watched it with my parents, and watched in public

on the big tv?