Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

the escape goat posted:

I’ve always wondered what’s the deal with the Bungie Club shirts? are they just goofin’ or is it an actual… thing? seen ‘em for years but never got around to asking.

it was pre-pandemic but at one point they were the entire front row in front of the stage. i think it's just a bunch of fans that all work together at bungie

edit: i generally try to get stage or 3rd row seats. i'm very tall and always feel bad blocking people hwen i stand up

born on a buy you fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

For whatever reason the Young Bucks vs Colony (now Orange Cassidy and Drew Gulak) match from Chikara High Noon 2011 popped up in my recommended so thought i'd post it here. Very fun to see proto-YB offence, high energy OC and a very partisan crowd. Well worth taking the 15 minutes to watch, with the proviso that the audio isn't the cleanest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wU2re7yIs4

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I actually posted on the forums.

Just wanted to say... I'm doing the thing.

I gotta say it's pretty surreal to be able to say I'm officially a professional wrestler.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Skunkrocker posted:

I gotta say it's pretty surreal to be able to say I'm officially a professional wrestler.

:woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop:

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

You're no Lovin' Nick Lovin'

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Skunkrocker posted:

I love that you are going all in with the Skunk Rocker look!

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
DEFY must have worked out a deal with AAA, because the show streamed tonight and they're still advertising Vikingo/Wayne on social media.

I don't have a sub but you can get a free 7-day trial on their site to check if they actually have it. Maybe AAA's restriction was just for FITE and IWTV, or they realized how dumb it was to not advertise their top guy.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I read that DEFY's parent company worked with another company to get Vikingo the visa in the first place so it may be due to that.

Anyway, I've got a bad back and a bum ankle so when I'm at DEFY shows I go for the stage or the balcony because I can't get out of the way of the wrestlers fast enough when I'm on the ground. Makes getting tickets even harder when you restrict yourself like that but hey, they're usually sold out anyway.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Skunkrocker posted:

Hell Yeah!

What's your entrance music? is there a stinky punk rock song?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Hell Yeah!

What's your entrance music? is there a stinky punk rock song?

Right now I'm using On Your Feet by Shok Paris. I waffled for a really long time on a theme and I ended up with that kind of outta necessity, because that first show I wrestled at the sound guy only knew how to use Spotify so... I wanted to use Green Mind by Dink, but it's got that weird intro to it where the guy is all like "I've had it up to here listening to a small group of people trying to put down America." and I didn't want to make people wait for like 2 minutes for me to come out the curtain.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
gently caress yeah, friend. I hope you fuckin kill it out there.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Skunkrocker posted:

Shok Paris.

oh hell yah good choice, i hope you do the powerbomb

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Whatever happened to Nick lovin anyway?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Stabbed 16 times outside a dennys

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Probably a dumb question, considering it's listed on cagematch, but Combat Fights Unlimited is just MMA themed wrestling?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

syzpid posted:

Probably a dumb question, considering it's listed on cagematch, but Combat Fights Unlimited is just MMA themed wrestling?

Yes

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Thanks, what a weird niche to aim for.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

It's definitely a response to the popularity of the GCW Bloodsport shows

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

its basically catch fighting like from the 30s its ok but kinda makes me wanna watch either real MMA or pro wrestling instead

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There’s something about promotions that focus on “we don’t wrestle in a traditional ring” as their gimmick for every single match that really puts me off of watching them.

It’s weird because I like plenty of matches that end up taking place in all kinds of spaces because obviously a wrestling ring isn’t a mandatory part of a wrestling match, but when your whole show is that and it’s not going absolutely balls out wild and wacky like wrestling all over a unique venue with clever spots in the environment then it’s just not interesting to me at all, and I lose interest very fast.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i agree i always thought the impact octagon was so lame. why do you need that many turnbuckles. mustve been a nightmare to train running the ropes in a regular squared circle then have to wrestle in that weird octagon.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Tonight was the final show for my local indie Journey Pro. I know it's a dumb thing to be sad about but I'm really loving sad. Back in 2010 an indie called Metro Pro started, it ran off and on for 6 years but never really got a lot of buzz. When MPW went out of business a new company called NWL (National Wrasslin League) sprung up. NWL: had an interesting idea, they ran 2 weeks of shows in KC, 2 weeks of shows in St Louis. Each city had their own distinct roster and it was sort of treated as a big deal when a STL person showed up. NWL ran for 2 years, but again despite actually being on TV it really didn't get a lot of buzz. The owners of NWL have not ever really spoken about why NWL went out of business but it sounds like there was a lot of shady poo poo going on in the background.

About 9 months or so after NWL went out of business 2 of the former owners of NWL got together, roped in 2 other guys and created Journey Pro. I did not find out about Journey Pro and until their 2nd show. The owners of JP booked top tier midwest indie talent. They had an amazing roster of people to draw from. For example Shotzi Blackheart was our companies first big babyface. The Riegel Twins from NJPW Strong (and I think NJPW proper), Jake Something and Curt Stallion (before they knew what a big piece of poo poo he was), and Joey Ryan (also before they knew what a piece of poo poo he was). Journey Pro exceled at mixing in top tier indie talent along with their own homegrown talent.

During 2019 every show was a total banger, their standout show of the year was Cruel Summer which featured Shotzi Blackheart vs. Christian Rose in a GODAMN STREET FIGHT. If you are looking for a really fun hardcore match, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUVxu8M8Aro

Other standouts were:
Work Horseman vs. Gym Nasty Boyz
Gary Jay vs. Tyler Bateman
The Riegel Twins vs. Jake Something and Curt Stallion (Falls Count Anywhere) - This match...holy gently caress this match owns

During the pandemic Journey Pro went dormant and it wasn't until July of 2021 that they came back. Sadly the venue they ran shut down during the pandemic so they found a new venue which was a coffee house, I'm not going to say the place sucked because I know they were doing what they had to do, but Blip Roasters sucked as a wrestling venue. Journey Pro came back strong in 2021, but sadly a lot of the Journey Pro wrestlers that I liked (Anthony Gutierrez, Dallas Cayde and JJ Garrett) just weren't around. They also began running shows instead of Missouri instead of Kansas which changed a lot (Missouri is a Commission state, Kansas isn't). Throughout 2021 and early 2022 Journey Pro put on good shows, but I never really felt like they hit the highs that the Kanza Hall shows did. This changed though in March when they moved into the Agnes. The Agnes is an old Swat Training building and looks like a big warehouse. Starting in the Summer of 2021 they began to start to work on a championship tournament, so wins and losses mattered and it did add some fun to the shows. Finally in late April they ran "All Good Things Flow Into the City" Nights 1 and 2. All I can say is that I have seen a lot of wrestling shows in my life, I went to All In, I have seen some shows. Both nights of All Good Things Flow Into the City shows were some of the best I had ever seen. Every match was just banger after banger. It culminated with the tournament finale of Jeremy Wyatt (the piece of poo poo heel) and Christian Rose (former heel, turned plucky babyface since his match with Shotzi almost 3 years earlier).

About an hour into Night 2 a HUGE storm system rolled through into KC and you could see the lightning flashing in the windows. Christian Rose's music hit and as he walked out the entire power went out to the whole city. Without missing a beat everyone in the crowd stood up, pulled out their phones and lit the ring. It was loving incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6mf_fnLMGY

This was one of the coolest experiences I've ever been a part of. Sadly due to illness I haven't been able to attend a lot of their shows this year. I missed 4 shows this year which is 4 more than I had missed since I started going. They ran an outdoor show last September and it was a lot of fun. Then in November they announced that after Journey's End in December they wouldn't be running anymore shows. Tonight was Journeys End and it was great. I don't know that it was one of the best shows I've seen, but there was so much emotion that it was very fun. I'm sorry that I have written so much, but this is kind of cathartic for me and I feel better.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 30, 2022

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

don’t apologize for writing so much about something you love, it was rad to read and I’m glad good time were had

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Midwest indie wrestler, Jaysin Strife, has passed away. He was 37 and I have not heard of a cause of death.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ScrapDaddyAP/status/1608838651588542466

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Midwest indie wrestler, Jaysin Strife, has passed away. He was 37 and I have not heard of a cause of death.

gently caress that sucks. He was a fixture in the pre-pandemic days of Journey Pro :-(

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/MEWunderground/status/1608996952196395008?s=20

Live in south-eastern Alabama, south-western Georgia or the Florida panhandle? Then the Open The Twin Gate champions Kzy & BIG BOSS Shimizu are coming to your neck of the woods

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cool as hell obv, but considering how often those belts change hands I wouldn't bet on the "the champs are coming" part

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Chris James 2 posted:

Cool as hell obv, but considering how often those belts change hands I wouldn't bet on the "the champs are coming" part

Well, Dia & Yoshioka held them for 4 months this year. Last year there were 6 Twin Gate title changes: New Year Gate at Korakuen, Dead Or Alive, Kobe World, Dangerous Gate, & then 2 changes in Sapporo where home town guys BxB Hulk & Kzy both got to win over the 3 days there. Or to look at it another way, there were 12 Twin Gate matches in 2022: 1 at Korakuen in January, 4 at Homecoming shows which DG treat as a pretty big deal (albeit 1 of them didn't have the hometown guy in it) & the rest were at the bigger named shows, Memorial, Champion, DoA, Kobe World, Dangerous, Gate of Destiny & Gate of Origin.

Looking at the calendar for 2023, there's 3 Korakuen Hall shows & then none other that standout as likely destinations for a title match, never mind a change, before the US date. If they make it out of the double header on the 11th & 12th January I'd feel confident you'll get to see them holding the titles.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
Maki Itoh and a fan

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Kzy's also been doing a tag belt collector thing lately (3x so far), so I wouldn't bet on him dropping the Twin Gate at least until Champion Gate in March - hopefully to Ben-Kota.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Oil! posted:

Maki Itoh and a fan

I love Maki Itoh gang member and death match wrestler

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

anyone else going to BOLA?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/officialpwg/status/1611155552654221316?s=46&t=omXNKkvKwDY36BS6s_FthQ

:stare:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lio Rush should probably just retire retire

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Here’s to a quick recovery for Lio but for real BRYAN KEITH LETS FUCKIN GO

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Lio Rush should probably just retire retire

I think he’s up to retire retire retire retire retire now

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
he got his face busted on a ramp made out of, like, linked metal grating in the first match at wrestle kingdom. i like to think he sacrificed his blood to save anyone else from doing an even stupider bump on that ramp, think the only other two we got were back bumps and not face first. when i saw that ramp i was like "oh huh that's kind of a weird construction but i guess preferable to the classic problem on people slipping on LED ramps" but lmao nope

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Lumbermouth posted:

Here’s to a quick recovery for Lio but for real BRYAN KEITH LETS FUCKIN GO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

laughing my rear end off at the state of XPW right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Z2X8EhM-g

the teens in my neighborhood with a homemade ring in their backyard can put up a better show and draw more people lol

why the gently caress is there a >5 year old child cleaning up the glass