Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

Midwood Isle

How are you liking Midwood Isle so far? It's included in the modlist (Septimus 3) I've been using in my tenously ongoing playthrough, but I never went there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

ThaumPenguin posted:

How are you liking Midwood Isle so far? It's included in the modlist (Septimus 3) I've been using in my tenously ongoing playthrough, but I never went there.

It's okay overall. Not spectacular so far but not terrible.

You get a forced follower for a lot of the main quest(I have not completed the main quest yet), but I actually like him. The writing as a whole is not terrible, but nothing spectacular so far. Some good voice acting(your follower), a lot of mediocre to bad voice acting. Not a lot of enemy variety. I'm going to keep going and finish it since I don't think it will take that long to do so but I'm also kind of ready to go back to Skyrim proper.

It's the first "Other Land" mod I've played so far so I don't know how it compares to the other big ones. I'm on Septimus 2 so I assume we both have Wyrmstooth, Bruma, Moonpath to Elsweyr etc. I'm definitely reminded often that I am in a mod.

Oh also, the sonmer are all pretty ugly in Septimus 2 which is rough.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Good to know, thank you. Moonpath to Elsweyr was removed from the modlist by the time of Septimus 3, but I have the other ones, plus some more. I've only checked out Bruma, due to a dungeon that happened to connect there, but what I saw of it was very high quality, definitely worth a look. Good voice acting, great environments. That said it definitely feels like the fragment of a larger setting that it is.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I somehow completely hosed up my Skyrim install where the game would crash 80% of the time trying to load a save from the main menu for the first time yet once it made it in game it was completely stable. Then I noticed trying to install TK Dodge and Precision that somehow Nemesis was also totally broken and none of the patches would show up no matter how I tried to fix it. Starting fresh from scratch time.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oh poo poo, someone posted on reddit about Boris being a homophobe and he made a big 'ole angrypost on the ENB website where he says "I'm not a homophobe, I just think homosexuality is unnatural and wrong and adds nothing to the world because it can't produce children" (paraphrasing a bit because English isn't his first language). He also threatens to paywall ENB behind patreon subs, so that's fun.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gonkish posted:

Oh poo poo, someone posted on reddit about Boris being a homophobe and he made a big 'ole angrypost on the ENB website where he says "I'm not a homophobe, I just think homosexuality is unnatural and wrong and adds nothing to the world because it can't produce children" (paraphrasing a bit because English isn't his first language). He also threatens to paywall ENB behind patreon subs, so that's fun.

God forbid there's anything "unnatural" happening in the game where you can make pacts with demons and absorb the souls of dragons to breathe fire.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gonkish posted:

An eternally online game modder from Russia being a raging homophobe is like the least surprising thing ever. loving sucks that he's the mastermind behind one of the key pieces of Skyrim modding, but then again a lot of folks who're big names in Skyrim modding have shown their whole rear end lately over LGBT+ issues, so he joins a big club with the likes of IconicDeath and wizkid34 and others.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

An eternally online game modder from Russia being a raging homophobe is like the least surprising thing ever. loving sucks that he's the mastermind behind one of the key pieces of Skyrim modding, but then again a lot of folks who're big names in Skyrim modding have shown their whole rear end lately over LGBT+ issues, so he joins a big club with the likes of IconicDeath and wizkid34 and others.

Looks like he's edited the post and it's now just this: "Here was lot of text about accusing me in various things by hypocrites and liars from reddit who must be banned for hate speech, but nobody bothered to protect me, so evil grew up. It's so simple to sit in warm room near display and tell poo poo, while in real life they would have quickly their poo poo beaten up. What else can i say? Sick disrespectful cowards." (Here's the original post. Warning: it's insane.)

I guess he was catching more flak for the whole "I'm not a homophobe, but..." thing.

Looks like there's some other choice quotes here: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/102ih9x/it_seems_boris_is_retiring_from_enb_development/

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 3, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gonkish posted:

Looks like he's edited the post and it's now just this: "Here was lot of text about accusing me in various things by hypocrites and liars from reddit who must be banned for hate speech, but nobody bothered to protect me, so evil grew up. It's so simple to sit in warm room near display and tell poo poo, while in real life they would have quickly their poo poo beaten up. What else can i say? Sick disrespectful cowards."

I guess he was catching more flak for the whole "I'm not a homophobe, but..." thing.

Looks like there's some other choice quotes here: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/102ih9x/it_seems_boris_is_retiring_from_enb_development/

I love how one random dude innocently plugging Boris' Patreon on reddit yesterday thinking he was helping led to him retiring from modding in a mad huff because he couldn't stand being rightly called a homophobe.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lol, just use ReShade.

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010
None of this is new.

He's threatened to take down or paywall ENB multiple times before as well.
I've been waiting for him to go through with it so maybe whoever takes his place won't be so lovely.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
People like Boris, Arthmoor and Nether make me appreciate people like Aers, Doodlezoid, powerofthree, WSkeever, JPSteel2, Janquel, Archinatic and GGUNIT even more. More power to innovative Skyrim modders who aren't giant loving cockwhistles.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I found out about this whole mess through hobbydrama, and then found out Enai is also poo poo. Man, that sucks.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fortunately if we stay with vanilla Skyrim we're safe, now let me just look up veteran games composer Jeremy Soule while taking this big sip of water...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Skyrim Modding - When you do manage to get them installed the modder will be complete poo poo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Bee posted:

I found out about this whole mess through hobbydrama, and then found out Enai is also poo poo. Man, that sucks.

Didn’t Enai completely apologize?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I kinda don’t care about a modder’s personal bullshit. It’s too much to keep track of, constantly disappointing, and there’s no need for it. I’ll play with the mods I want, and I’m not interested in forum/Twitter/social media drama.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

chaosapiant posted:

I kinda don’t care about a modder’s personal bullshit. It’s too much to keep track of, constantly disappointing, and there’s no need for it. I’ll play with the mods I want, and I’m not interested in forum/Twitter/social media drama.
:same:

I don't really do much in the way of graphical mods anyways, so I've never even used an ENB, either. Especially since I'm playing on a Steam Deck nowadays anyways.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

There are some cases where this poo poo bothers me enough to avoid peoples' work and some cases where it doesn't, and I don't claim to have any internal consistency here.

I don't think there's enough at stake in using a free mod for a single-player game where you need to consider anything beyond what lets you sleep at night.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

Agreed, it isn't worth your anger, time, or energy.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
ill use free poo poo to bring joy into my life but i will never give one of those fucks a single dime.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

A modder like Arthmoor is special not solely because they’re PsOS but bc they indulge themselves horribly with poo poo line “useless oblivion gates everywhere” that dampen their “genius” rep, and allow you to more freely see using their actual useful mods as a kind of looting. You can at least take pleasure in the fact that you’re spiting them

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
well I finally removed skyrim platform. Cool idea but it crashes all the time.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, I didn't install it because of all the reported instability. Pity, because it's a good idea and there are some cool mods that depend on it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Are there any recommended Oblivion mods for making it a better experience? I don't need a total overhaul, just some quality-of-life stuff and maybe graphical improvements that don't change the feel of the game too much.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Chamale posted:

Are there any recommended Oblivion mods for making it a better experience? I don't need a total overhaul, just some quality-of-life stuff and maybe graphical improvements that don't change the feel of the game too much.

I recommend checking out the Through the Valleys Vanilla Plus Modding Guide, it's the most up-to-date mod guide I know of and it has a very solid selection of the newer QoL mods for Oblivion. You don't need to do everything, just pick what seems useful.

I'd also recommend De-Nock Arrows xOBSE, which is made by the mod guide's author, but is not included for whatever reason.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm 97% sure I already know the answer to this question and it's not the one I want to hear, but: if I want to install Skyrim on my new PC with all the mods I like, is there a way I can just copy/paste all the relevant folders wholesale from the old PC and make it work or am I in for a couple days of painstakingly installing mods one by one

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 12, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm 97% sure I already know the answer to this question and it's not the wan I want to hear, but: if I want to install Skyrim on my new PC with all the mods I like, is there a way I can just copy/paste all the relevant folders wholesale from the old PC and make it work or am I in for a couple days of painstakingly installing mods one by one

Were you smart and used mod organizer? If so, yes: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/woq7bn/moving_mod_organizer_to_a_new_drive/

(I’d look a bit deeper before doing this but the point is, MO makes it possible)

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Arivia posted:

Were you smart and used mod organizer? If so, yes: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/woq7bn/moving_mod_organizer_to_a_new_drive/

(I’d look a bit deeper before doing this but the point is, MO makes it possible)

Using MO I've done it multiple times. Just copy mods, overwrite and profile folders. Downloads too, if you keep those.

Otherwise, without a mod manager, probably just copy over the entire Data folder or something. Plus SKSE.

Vortex, or whatever, who the hell knows.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

PolarPear posted:

None of this is new.

He's threatened to take down or paywall ENB multiple times before as well.
I've been waiting for him to go through with it so maybe whoever takes his place won't be so lovely.

that's me he's quoting in that screenshot and tbh I knew that comment would get a rise out of him at the time and the fact that it's coming up again after all this time is so sweet lol

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

I try not to use Arthmoor's stuff (code patch aside, but that's not his no matter how much he pretends) in part because he's an enormous, insufferable rear end in a top hat, but also because his favorite thing to do is to throw a tantrum and take down all of his mods at the slightest provocation, so it's completely unreliable that they'll even be there when you go looking. His second favorite thing to do is be extremely weird about the most pedantic poo poo, and his third favorite is to do things like try to gently caress with Skyrim VR people because he doesn't want them using 'his' patch.

Gategate, however, shall always be treasured.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Wasn't he making some unreal engine rpg with other modders? Whatever came of that?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Proletarian Mango posted:

Wasn't he making some unreal engine rpg with other modders? Whatever came of that?

It's an Early Access game that's a dollar.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I don't have a problem with furries or playing as an anthropomorphic animal, but I always get weirded out when you mix anthro-animals with more realistic ones.. Like, being an anthropomorphic bear with a pet wolf. It's like a Goofy and Pluto thing.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Love all the reviews that are mostly people warning others that the project has been abandoned.

Didn't they try at least 3 times to get successfully Kickstarted and each time they had to lower the amount asked for until it was, like, $10k or something?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

QuantaStarFire posted:

Love all the reviews that are mostly people warning others that the project has been abandoned.

Didn't they try at least 3 times to get successfully Kickstarted and each time they had to lower the amount asked for until it was, like, $10k or something?

Wow there's reviews from 2019 that say "I know it's been abandoned."

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

quote:

The game can get a bit hairy, and the devs still have some knots to brush out. But bear with it: there has been a steady improvement with each update. There's plenty to chew on even in EA, plenty lore and worldbuilding with more on the way. For folks - like me - who want a world they can devour, this game has lots you can really sink your teeth into.

I've genuinely enjoyed seeing features added and bugs fixed with each release; I recognise I'm in the minority, but it's really amazing for me - as a non game dev - to literally see a world come to life month by month. It brings a whole new meaning to worldbuilding.

Plus: you get to play as a BEAR.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I'm trying to get Experience and Static Skill Leveling working. It seems that Experience is working properly, but not SSL, as I get "gained experience" popups in the corner, and while I'm gaining skills, they don't seem to be leading to level ups. However the fact that I'm gaining skill ups at all seems to indicate that SSL isn't working, or at least isn't working correctly. If I level up and sleep in a bed, I get the skillpoint interface, but I can't actually assign any skills.

This may or may not be related to an error I get when starting the game (but only when SSL specifically is enabled) complaining about DLL plugins failing to load correctly, specifically LibFire.dll and LibMath.dll being disabled. Something about compatibility? Some googling suggests that that's a problem with the Address Library for SKSE Plugins, but that's fully up-to-date as far as I can tell (using the 1.6.x version with Steam.)

Furthermore, the SSL mod talks about using SSEEdit to tweak files but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do that. I can open what I think is the correct file groups with that program, but the specifics don't match up with what the screenshots on SSL's page show. Maybe that's the real problem and the dll stuff is a red herring, but it'd be nice if the mod organizer would stop pestering me about it in any case.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
From the comments section of SSL

quote:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Broken with latest Skyrim v1.6.629
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This happens about once a year, where Bethesda demonstrates a complete lack of concern for the greater Skyrim modding community, and proceeds to break SKSE and every mod that has any dependency on it, or any user-created DLLs. I have it in my backlog to refactor the mod to not have any third party SKSE dependencies, but it's a very low priority for me. It's aggravating to have to continuously come here and inform people it's broken and just wait and hope that the third party updates their libraries.

Skyrim 64-bit version support is listed below. Please choose your version accordingly

1.6.629 - Not Supported
1.6.353 - Supported with Static Skill Leveling v3.1
1.5.97 - Supported with Static Skill Leveling v2.1

So yes, it's a DLL problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
being stuck at 1.5.97 looks better every day. Are there any interesting mods that are on the post AE patches?