Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
it's one of those cases where even if you (general, as in anyone) could, you really still shouldn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBH991
Nov 26, 2010
Jerry Pournelle is a great read if you ever actually want to understand how a certain kind of conservative guy thinks. It's like, he's smart enough to recognize that institutions are failing and stuff but way to racist and in his ideology to embrace anything to fix them other than a return to crowned heads.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Everyone posted:

The key word in my original post is "almost." I had a couple of ideas like the Ermey drill sergeant or some Tony Stark style insane weapons systems (which I won't name because I don't want to eat another probation over this) but I also know my talent (or lack thereof) well enough to know that there's no way I could pull this off.

Nah, I think I could do it, actually, but it'd have to be hard satire from the opening scene. It's obviously crossing the line too far, which means you gotta make people understand you're absolutely not serious. And it can't be titillating AT ALL. But understand, it has to be dudes and chicks getting raped or it's no bueno.

It'd work better if it was a machine that symbolized male oppression. It'd be like the space race or the atom bomb. I'd show the Russians building their rape machine and the U.S. building their rape machine. I'd bounce back and forth between scenes like Rocky IV, playing on nationalist ideals and jingoistic tropes. There would be teary-eyed newscasters as the machine finally launched on its inaugural mission. Broadsheets and propaganda posters on the walls.

The lead American scientist, a genius inventor, is a woman who symbolizes the women who enable the patriarchy to continue the systematic oppression. She is willing to build a machine that subjugates women because she's greedy and wants power. She understands the advantage of having the world's first superpower rape machine. However, her co-worker, a pompous young white man whose only idiosyncrasy is that he habitually wears a bow-tie, get's paid 10% more than her credit. In revenge, she reprograms the rape machines to rape everyone, especially white men who wear bow-ties.

The president has a button on his Oval Office. The advantage of the rape button is that it is a step down from the nuclear option. And after you hit the rape button and the machine rapes your entire army, navy, and capital city, everyone knows you can do it again at any time. When they're out golfing with friends. At the pope's funeral. In the line at the DMV. No matter where you are or what you're doing the machine rapes you.

And of course, through the use of imagery and theme I would infer that the rape machine stands for the intrinsic power systems and unconscious biases that oppress everyone.

Anyway.

Assault on Ball's Deep is free to everyone for the next 5 days. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0881N2Y6H

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

please stop

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Rage of Dragons (The Burning #1) by Evan Winter - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2VKFP5/

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MartingaleJack posted:

Assault on Ball's Deep is free to everyone for the next 5 days. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0881N2Y6H

Assault on Ball's Deep is awesome and we should talk about that instead of, um, other things.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

MartingaleJack posted:

Yeah that'd about do it. Good stories all around sir.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
Not many people know this but mein kampf was originally written as a farce, a joke on antisemitism, like a springtime for Hitler situation. Things just got a bit out of control after people didn't get the parody though.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

RDM posted:

Not many people know this but mein kampf was originally written as a farce, a joke on antisemitism, like a springtime for Hitler situation. Things just got a bit out of control after people didn't get the parody though.

That's a good story prompt, like Life of Brian but with Hitler

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That's Dune

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MartingaleJack posted:

That's a good story prompt, like Life of Brian but with Hitler

what? absolutely not

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

fez_machine posted:

what? absolutely not

Around 2019 with Trump and everything I would not have been in the least surprised to have seen some kind of Life of Hitler movie/show come out.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see poo poo like that hit in 2023.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Talk about SciFi books

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Most influential fantasy novel that isn’t by Tolkien, go!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Journey to the West

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

StrixNebulosa posted:

Which brilliantly written Sanderson epic should I choose? They're all so good.

Rothfuss a close second though.

Grrm disqualified for the final season of got.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Once and Future King

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

A Pilgrim's Progress or Gulliver's Travels

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm three books in to the Poor Man's Fight series by Elliott Kay, and that means I'm back once again to quickly review a goon recommended palette cleanser style of mil-SF series that may or may not be KU (it is)

The first book I think is definitely a worthy read for the fans of mil-SF thriller kind of dad fiction. The last third/half of the book is one long action scene that reminded me most of Die Hard but on a spaceship.

Book 2 managed decent action and kept my interest too, a fine enough follow-up to the first, but I felt was clearly more framed towards moving the series forward so I kinda raced through it, and just started book 3, so that's all I got for now.

if nothing else, book 1, the one actually named Poor Man's Fight is a fun read if you want to see a guy go through boot camp and eventually kill a loving LOT of Bad Guys. I will hold off on recommending the rest of the series for now, pending reading it. See you next time :tipshat:

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 6, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

StrixNebulosa posted:

D...racula? Or maybe Frankenstein? Except Frankenstein is science fiction, notionally...

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I'm three books in to the Poor Man's Fight series by Elliott Kay, and that means I'm back to once again to quickly review a goon recommended palette cleanser style of mil-SF series that may or may not be KU (it is)
Books 1-3 are pretty good and books 4-5 go off the loving rails with dumbfuck aliens and it turns into some Marko kloos poo poo.

So don't feel obligated to keep reading after book 3.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I mean it's hard to beat The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L Frank Baum. It basically started the portal fantasy genre in 1900. There might be earlier examples, but probably none as influential. Loved the art by W.W. Denslow too.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

MartingaleJack posted:

I mean it's hard to beat The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L Frank Baum. It basically started the portal fantasy genre in 1900. There might be earlier examples, but probably none as influential. Loved the art by W.W. Denslow too.

Feel like if you are doing portal fantasy you got to give it to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kids are calling it Isekai now

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
hmm I'd say The Wonderful Wizard of Oz or Alice in Wonderland, both for the exact same reasons. They each serve as a sort of bridge between more traditional fairytales or fables of the past and what would eventually become the modern fantasy novel. They also came out pretty close to one another (historically speaking), so it's hard to tease out one or the other

There's also a sort of "artificial" influence in terms of works that change the way publishers greenlight books or authors copy successes, and by that definition it's hard not to bring up Eye of the World or Game of Thrones, even though they're both modern.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
If they ever did a remake they could just have the truck come flying it off the barn to hit her and she wakes up in oz and accidently kills the other witch somehow.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hobnob posted:

The Once and Future King
A Connecticut Yankee is my pick, if only for how long its idea about knights being clumsy stuck around.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Howard's Conan stories were, I think, the first time someone tried to construct a secondary world with its own internal logic--as opposed to the whimsical "play" worlds of Carroll, Barrie, etc. That's pretty fundamental to everything that came after.

But I guess those aren't novels so they don't qualify anyway :)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Le Morte d'Arthur or the Grimm Collection.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

fez_machine posted:

they count as video games but also famously Custer's Revenge

anyway the entire trope seems, in the west, to be a boomer and pre-boomer thing. I can't think of any recent fantasy and sci-fi that's done it.

I love Jack Vance but every single book of his has at least one. Sadly, including his best work Emphyrio

It's still going, or at least is still used as a 'darkness signifier' Jonathan Maberry is currently writing a fantasy meets Lovecraft series and there are many off screenish depictions of rapes and child murders as some poorly plotted evil soldiers simultaneously conquer a whole continent overnight

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

If they ever did a remake they could just have the truck come flying it off the barn to hit her and she wakes up in oz and accidently kills the other witch somehow.

Done so many times in so many remakes. I quite liked the one by - Tarsem Singh? - where Ozma was trans and extremely pissed off because for some stupid reason in spite of literal magic and human experimentation the one single absolute no-no is wanting your boy body back.

Sailor Viy posted:

Howard's Conan stories were, I think, the first time someone tried to construct a secondary world with its own internal logic--as opposed to the whimsical "play" worlds of Carroll, Barrie, etc. That's pretty fundamental to everything that came after.

But I guess those aren't novels so they don't qualify anyway :)

Eddison got there first, anyway. And arguably the Duchess of Newcastle long before, though she's probably more proto-isekai than proto-secondary world..

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Dunsany's Gods of Pegana also.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

WarpDogs posted:

hmm I'd say The Wonderful Wizard of Oz or Alice in Wonderland, both for the exact same reasons. They each serve as a sort of bridge between more traditional fairytales or fables of the past and what would eventually become the modern fantasy novel. They also came out pretty close to one another (historically speaking), so it's hard to tease out one or the other

There's also a sort of "artificial" influence in terms of works that change the way publishers greenlight books or authors copy successes, and by that definition it's hard not to bring up Eye of the World or Game of Thrones, even though they're both modern.

This erasure of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court is disgraceful.

Edit: Beaten, but it still counts as being among the first "portal" fantasies.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 6, 2023

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Everyone posted:

This erasure of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court is disgraceful.

Edit: Beaten, but it still counts as being among the first "portal" fantasies.

Some of E Nesbit too, I should think.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1610754220835147782

Gonna need to request a correction to the thread title

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

branedotorg posted:

It's still going, or at least is still used as a 'darkness signifier' Jonathan Maberry is currently writing a fantasy meets Lovecraft series and there are many off screenish depictions of rapes and child murders as some poorly plotted evil soldiers simultaneously conquer a whole continent overnight

i meant by protagonists but holy poo poo stop talking about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1610754220835147782

Gonna need to request a correction to the thread title

In the good old days this kind of drama would be safely contained to a single coffee shop or bar and the wider world would never hear anything of it.